Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Hollismason posted:

Oh hey GOP lawmakers have figure out a way to make it illegal (sort of ) to have an abortion. By requiring any person having a abortion to have the remains cremated or buried. If they fail to comply it's a misdemeanor.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2015/12/14/lawmakers-want-aborted-fetuses-cremated-buried/77292140/

So another cost added to the abortion with no justification.

In SA fashion, have a comic to sum up how I feel reading this thread: http://garfieldminusgarfield.net/page/879

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Any legality to this? Like I can donate my smelly corpse to science.

It's probably just specific to abortions.

Ohio is planning to try to pass one as well.

http://wvxu.org/post/bill-would-require-burial-or-cremation-fetal-remains

I don't think it has anything to do with misdemeanors though.

If these become more common place and survive court challenges there's a lot of hosed up poo poo that they could tack onto these.

quote:

Koehler is one of the Republican sponsors of a bill that would require women who undergo abortions at clinics or are treated for miscarriages at hospitals sign a form, designating burial or cremation of fetal remains. And the cost of that would be passed on to the facility which could then pass it on to the women being treated. While she personally opposes abortion rights, Representative Barbara Sears says this bill is not politically motivated.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 17, 2015

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

a shameful boehner posted:

Kill Shkreli for the children, Wu.

I'd like to send Albanian rapper Action Bronson over to sit on this little twerp's chest until he passes out.

This guy must have some raging personality disorder or coke addiction or both.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Hollismason posted:

If these become more common place and survive court challenges there's a lot of hosed up poo poo that they could tack onto these.

Says miscarriages too. Boy howdy lady your baby maker dun hosed up something fierce. We gots to dispose of the waste so will you be paying upfront?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

DemeaninDemon posted:

Any legality to this? Like I can donate my smelly corpse to science.

Property rights get weird with respect to remains of deceased persons, but I'd think the applicable issue would be regulation of disposal of medical waste.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

Martin Shkreli is going to buy every single 35mm and 70mm copy of the original Star Wars trilogy and burn them all on live TV after he makes a personal digital copy of each one for himself.

good, the amount of rage that would generate would feed me for years

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Be kind of a kicker if they requited Crematoriums to pay extra fees in order to dispose of fetal tissue. I don't know though how disposal of bodies works though I'm sure there is some sort of State level oversight.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I'd like to send Albanian rapper Action Bronson over to sit on this little twerp's chest until he passes out.

This guy must have some raging personality disorder or coke addiction or both.

no man you dont get it *rails huge bump of coke* bronson and me got that albanian kinship thing man. we're like this *tries to cross fingers, fucks it up several times* we're like that. we're hot blooded. and ghostface, what he said to bronson, thats like what rza say about me, and theyd better watch the gently caress out because we... because bronson and me are genetically predisposed to roll deep, my dude.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Homie can barely do a treadmill, so that should be big enough. Get Killer Mike in there, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5h0oNZUB54

paranoid randroid posted:

no man you dont get it *rails huge bump of coke* bronson and me got that albanian kinship thing man. we're like this *tries to cross fingers, fucks it up several times* we're like that. we're hot blooded. and ghostface, what he said to bronson, thats like what rza say about me, and theyd better watch the gently caress out because we... because bronson and me are genetically predisposed to roll deep, my dude.

seriously

Armani fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 17, 2015

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
aren't parents/guardians allowed to determine whether or not their child is an organ donor until a specific age? I was under the impression they were under full control of posthumous decisions, unless the proposed bill is actually attempting to completely rewrite all laws related to ownership of property by minors, which seems unlikely

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Hollismason posted:

There goes my blood pressure.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Hollismason posted:

quote:

Representative Barbara Sears says this bill is not politically motivated.

BULLSHIT!

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Hmm, Fortune is reporting that it is indeed the rumored Sheldon Adelson that bought the Las Vegas Review-Journal

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Lessail posted:

Hmm, Fortune is reporting that it is indeed the rumored Sheldon Adelson that bought the Las Vegas Review-Journal

Gee I wonder why he was so drat secretive about it.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

DolphinCop posted:

aren't parents/guardians allowed to determine whether or not their child is an organ donor until a specific age? I was under the impression they were under full control of posthumous decisions, unless the proposed bill is actually attempting to completely rewrite all laws related to ownership of property by minors, which seems unlikely

Strictly speaking, at common law there isn't a property right to the remains of a deceased person. Organ donations happen per statutes enabling that. Most states (including Ohio) have enacted a uniform set of laws governing how organ donations work, but the state legislature wouldn't be required to stick to that.

The specific language in question from the model law:

quote:

(4) “Decedent” means a deceased individual whose body or part is or may be the source of an anatomical gift. The term includes a stillborn infant and, subject to restrictions imposed by law other than this [act], a fetus.

e: just checked, and although there is optional model language excluding aborted fetuses from that definition, Ohio does not appear to have put it in.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 17, 2015

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Armani posted:

Homie can barely do a treadmill, so that should be big enough. Get Killer Mike in there, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5h0oNZUB54

seriously

Action Bronson has his own series on the food section of Vice's YouTube channel so you can watch his aunt cook him Albanian dishes and get even fatter.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Gee I wonder why he was so drat secretive about it.

Possibly because their staff hate his guts since he likes to sue their reporters into bankruptcy.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Action Bronson has his own series on the food section of Vice's YouTube channel so you can watch his aunt cook him Albanian dishes and get even fatter.

its is called, btw, "gently caress, That's Delicious"

in one episode, he makes a baklava milkshake.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm y'all see this NVRJ article about Spanish aggression towards our Navy...

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Joementum posted:

Possibly because their staff hate his guts since he likes to sue their reporters into bankruptcy.

Holy poo poo, I thought they would be suspicious of him just on general moral principles but this makes it a thousand times worse.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
On 9/11/01 terrorists convinced millions that reality is like a Michael Bay movie or a Tom Clancy novel. One day something new and shocking will break that illusion and make a new reality.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Let me tell you how 9/11 was actually our Hiroshima...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

McDowell posted:

On 9/11/01 terrorists convinced millions that reality is like a Michael Bay movie or a Tom Clancy novel. One day something new and shocking will break that illusion and make a new reality.

But it's Twilight.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

But it's Twilight.

The new and shocking thing would be holy poo poo werewolves and vampires are real

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

McDowell posted:

The new and shocking thing would be holy poo poo werewolves and vampires are real

And the GOP base would still be more afraid of Muslims.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

And the GOP base would still be more afraid of Muslims.

Well yeah.

Traditionally werewolves and vampires have all been white... even though the best ones have always been black.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 17, 2015

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Let me tell you how 9/11 was actually our Hiroshima...

9-11 was america's pearl harbor, i'd say

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McDowell posted:

It's fun to blame all the racism on 9/11 even though Reel Bad Arabs shows that that's been a thing for literally a hundred years prior.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

paranoid randroid posted:

its is called, btw, "gently caress, That's Delicious"

in one episode, he makes a baklava milkshake.

Man you could pay me to get fat off of those live on YouTube

It would only take like one episode

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

McDowell posted:

Reminder that they tapped Mr. Clancy himself after 9/11 for his counterterrorism knowledge

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

A Winner is Jew posted:

Well yeah.

Traditionally werewolves and vampires have all been white... even though the best ones have always been black.

The second is only half-vampire.

:goonsay:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

Well yeah.

Why not black and Jewish???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxk_P3PNuZU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

It's fun to blame all the racism on 9/11 even though Reel Bad Arabs shows that that's been a thing for literally a hundred years prior.

I'm not blaming all racism on 9/11 - I'm saying that 9/11 and the USA reaction to it is a very strange thing compared to the last comparable 'defining' global event (World War 2). We have television and our liberal / lifestyle anarchist mindset - Bin Laden and the Islamist ideology exploited it to become much more influential and memetic.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

KomradeX posted:

Hate to double post but considering the Sim City games libertarian bent racism mat have been in the game by default

I'm wondering where you get that idea considering the games ever since SimCity 2000 explicitly punishes you for having minimized taxes, for refusing to build and fund public services, and especially for refusing to have sufficient public education. And the original game only doesn't do all of that because it was for much older computers - you still get punished for refusing to fund fire and police departments though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

fishmech posted:

I'm wondering where you get that idea considering the games ever since SimCity 2000 explicitly punishes you for having minimized taxes, for refusing to build and fund public services, and especially for refusing to have sufficient public education. And the original game only doesn't do all of that because it was for much older computers - you still get punished for refusing to fund fire and police departments though.

Don't forget roads.

You cannot cut back on funding.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

McDowell posted:

The Irish were the bad guys in Tom Clancy-world

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

McDowell posted:

I thought it was 24 that did that

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Hollismason posted:

Oh hey GOP lawmakers have figure out a way to make it illegal (sort of ) to have an abortion. By requiring any person having a abortion to have the remains cremated or buried. If they fail to comply it's a misdemeanor.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2015/12/14/lawmakers-want-aborted-fetuses-cremated-buried/77292140/

So another cost added to the abortion with no justification.

The article notes, "the requirement to bury or cremate aborted fetuses isn't a new one. Indiana and Arkansas passed similar laws earlier this year. "

Here's Indiana's, here's Arkansas'. The latter has provisions to allow abortion clinics to give the fetal remains to the patient, but it also criminalizes possession of fetal remains for everyone except for doctors and medical students, so I'm a little baffled...

Anyway, looks like the Arkansas law went into effect in March, but I can't find any reactions to either law except from anti-choice groups. My suspicion is that neither is a 'big deal'; just a small part of a larger campaign of death-by-cuts.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I realise it's over now, but for future reference the uber/airbnb discussion is a perfect example of something that should split off into its own thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Glumslinger posted:

I thought it was 24 that did that

24 was part of what I am describing.

• Locked thread