Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw0iCYEavcU

tales of berseria PV, featuring ow the edge, a samurai, and also apparently lizardmen
Koujaku what are you doing in a Tales game, get out of there

Also I would be able to get behind Velvet and her Tragic Werewolf Backstory™ more if she didn't look like she were designed by a 13-year-old boy in Hot Topic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that's what makes the tragic werewolf backstory own, though

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
More like Tales of Bloodborne, right?

Also I guess having a little kid emotional anchor played well in ToX2 so they're doing it again but the kid is playable.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I was all hyped up to get a PSP, especially when I dusted off my old US PSN account and realized that I actually bought a few really good games on it (Jeanne D'Arc, Castlevania X Chronicles plus a bunch of PSone RPGs and Silent Hill) so I wouldn't even need to buy any games to start with. I figured one of the three or so used/retro game stores in town would have one. Nope. Not a one.

Welp.

I'm weighing my options between just buying one off Amazon or trying SAmart to see if someone will sell me their PSP and RPGs for it as a bundle for a good price. Since the system is easily emulatable (and arguably is much better in emulated form due to no load times and better graphics) there's got to be a few people willing to part with theirs for some quick holiday cash.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Looper posted:

and Yggdra Union!!

I picked up Jeanne D'Arc a while ago but I'm not really feeling it so far :(

gently caress all sting games :colbert:

but if you do like sting games, they have some other ports of their 3ds games on the psp.

Golden Goat posted:

You can try Metal Gear Ac!d. I remember it being okay despite the intro tutorial really dragging on.

How could I forget Acid 1 and 2. They are fun and you should play them as well.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

started playing dq5 after getting bored of dq4 and quitting at the finish line

I'm up to to Faerie Lea and this game is intensely charming

not being able to read signs because I'm a dumb kid is the cutest thing

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

summon night V came out on the psn today, apparently. should anyone care?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

summon night V came out on the psn today, apparently. should anyone care?
It is a Decent SRPG, nothing outstanding, at least from the first little bit. I played a couple chapters of it a few years ago when it initially came out. If you like Stella Glow you will like Summon Night, Stella Glow (and Luminous Arc before it) aped a whole lot of aspects from the series, including going to go talk to someone during limited timeslots at the end of chapters to increase your relationship with them.

Probably not worth $30, especially since they removed huge swathes of the voice acting, but if you have a modded PSP someone will probably make an...un-undub?? soon enough, and it will likely go on PSN sale once they realize how dumb it is to release a PSP game that isn't a kiseki game at $30 in nearly 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

gently caress all sting games :colbert:

someone's a completionist :smuggo:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

my favorite sting game moment is in yggdra union you can pick up a skull item at some point and if you still have it in your inventory like 20 chapters later you'll miss out on a bunch of stuff since all the villagers in one chapter won't give you things like they usually would.

i love yggdra union

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sting games are good.

Apart from the Noire one.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Getsuya posted:

I was all hyped up to get a PSP, especially when I dusted off my old US PSN account and realized that I actually bought a few really good games on it (Jeanne D'Arc, Castlevania X Chronicles plus a bunch of PSone RPGs and Silent Hill) so I wouldn't even need to buy any games to start with. I figured one of the three or so used/retro game stores in town would have one. Nope. Not a one.

Welp.

I'm weighing my options between just buying one off Amazon or trying SAmart to see if someone will sell me their PSP and RPGs for it as a bundle for a good price. Since the system is easily emulatable (and arguably is much better in emulated form due to no load times and better graphics) there's got to be a few people willing to part with theirs for some quick holiday cash.

There are always 5 or 6 in every retro game store here and I know these stores and similar ones all over the country use ebay and amazon to also sell stock. Keep your chin up :)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tE-9y7kv_U

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

bloodychill posted:

There are always 5 or 6 in every retro game store here and I know these stores and similar ones all over the country use ebay and amazon to also sell stock. Keep your chin up :)

No worries, a kind goon has agreed to sell me theirs for an agreeable price. Also, I checked PSN yesterday and made a wishlist of PSP games and my goodness the prices sure have dropped since the last time I bought a PSP game in the US. Pretty much everything is $10 or cheaper, with very, very few games at the $20 level (and I think only Summon Night 5 at the $30 level). Even Hakuouki and Sweet Fuse are only $10 a piece, which is insanely cheap for otome games which are usually the only kind of game that never devalues in Japan.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

DQ5 is good and Debora is a powerful wife

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ruggington posted:

DQ5 is good and Debora is a powerful wife

You have questionable tastes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Debora is the Marie of Dragon Quest.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ImpAtom posted:

Harsh.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

You have questionable tastes

I'm not going with the childhood friend option or the boring girl so

ImpAtom posted:

I'll allow it

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

having falcon earrings and oomph is also a great way to endear yourself to me

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

is deborah the mean one because she was obviously the best

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

is deborah the mean one because she was obviously the best

yes and yes

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

If you don't pick Bianca you might actually be a monster

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I love my anime wife who I apparently knocked up

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Goollant the Slime Knight will raise my child

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm the guy who married Nera

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm the guy who married Nera

on purpose?!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Has there ever been a Dragon Quest game where offensive magic was actually good

I always try to use a mage and they always disappoint me

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

If you don't pick Deborah she spends the rest of her life a spinster and if you don't pick Biancq she spends it with a nice guy that loves her in a nice village. Idk how that makes you a monster.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Has there ever been a Dragon Quest game where offensive magic was actually good

I always try to use a mage and they always disappoint me

kaboom is good

I think Jessica was pretty strong on the off-turn she didn't have something else to do but I haven't played dq8 in like a decade

apparently it took me 9 months to get that insignia????

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 17, 2015

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Offensive magic is really strong in DQIII and is pretty much required for most parties to kill the post-game boss quick enough for the rewards.

The trick to using magic most of the time in Dragon Quest games is that your goal is to end every dungeon with just enough MP to use Outside then Return/Zoom to get back to a town since most dungeons don't have real bosses at the end. This makes planning your MP usage actually a thing as opposed to a resource you just hoard for the boss like in some other JRPGs.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Ruggington posted:

kaboom is good

I think Jessica was pretty strong on the off-turn she didn't have something else to do but I haven't played dq8 in like a decade
Offensive magic is very MP-inefficient in DQ8, so while some of the higher-tier elements and the Boom line generally are decent for Jessica she's often doing only as much damage as other people can do with poo poo like Power Throw and Thin Air and for more MP. I think one of her Boom spells is roughly equivalent in damage to Thin Air when you get it, but it costs her 8 MP vs. 2 MP for Thin Air and she doesn't have that much more MP than everyone else.

The main thing she has over some of the other specials is that she's less likely to run up against resistance problems since she has many elements. But almost nothing resists physical damage anyway (and the things that do, like Metal Slimes, resist all magic too), and physicals are generally insanely strong in Dragon Quest. This doesn't actually hurt Jessica though because she also has the strongest physical special (which is also way cheaper than any of her spells). But I wouldn't say using her as a proper mage is anywhere near as good as giving her Thin Air or Twin Dragon Lash and just using her spells to cast Acceleratle and Oomph (on herself, because who the gently caress needs you guys).

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

The protagonist in DQ5 was already "The Boomerang and Fullheal Guy" and now I have a 5 year old with a god sword

Nakar posted:

Offensive magic is very MP-inefficient in DQ8, so while some of the higher-tier elements and the Boom line generally are decent for Jessica she's often doing only as much damage as other people can do with poo poo like Power Throw and Thin Air and for more MP. I think one of her Boom spells is roughly equivalent in damage to Thin Air when you get it, but it costs her 8 MP vs. 2 MP for Thin Air and she doesn't have that much more MP than everyone else.

The main thing she has over some of the other specials is that she's less likely to run up against resistance problems since she has many elements. But almost nothing resists physical damage anyway (and the things that do, like Metal Slimes, resist all magic too), and physicals are generally insanely strong in Dragon Quest. This doesn't actually hurt Jessica though because she also has the strongest physical special (which is also way cheaper than any of her spells). But I wouldn't say using her as a proper mage is anywhere near as good as giving her Thin Air or Twin Dragon Lash and just using her spells to cast Acceleratle and Oomph (on herself, because who the gently caress needs you guys).

I'm remembering this now

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Someone played the DS version of DQ5 and didn't marry Debora?

Sounds pretty hosed up.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is there any good RPGs for the iOS? I just got an iPad, it occurred to me that it could be a very good platform for RPGs and strategy games.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I picked Bianca the first time but I really want to go through DQ5 again with Debora one of these days.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is there any good RPGs for the iOS? I just got an iPad, it occurred to me that it could be a very good platform for RPGs and strategy games.
iOS is a content desert. Pretty much everything really good on it is a port. Mobile exclusive RPGs (FF dimensions for example) don't tend to be very good. It is really good for board games, though

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Getsuya posted:

6. I like card games as much as I like RPGs. Are there good card game games on PSP?
Marvel Trading Card Game and the Metal Gear Ac!d series are native, and Digimon Card Battle from the PS1 library is playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Surprisingly, the children's television cartoon tie-in, Steven Universe: Attack the Light, is very good. And I believe it's free this week.