Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They go to White Collar Prison on the regular buddy.

The state should consider any multi-millionaire a flight risk, and put him in maximum security general population. If it's good enough for young kids dealing a little weed, it's good enough for a monster who takes life saving medication from poor people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CommieGIR posted:

The guy was already being investigated for Fraud prior and short selling. I don't think the SEC is going to be kind.

On the other hand, busting this guy will earn them shittons of brownie points with pretty much everyone, allowing them to slack off for pretty much the rest of 2016.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Talmonis posted:

The state should consider any multi-millionaire a flight risk, and put him in maximum security general population. If it's good enough for young kids dealing a little weed, it's good enough for a monster who takes life saving medication from poor people.

Would be a good plan if this was state prison he was going to.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Talmonis posted:

A "young kid dealing a little weed" wouldn't go into Max Security.

Please don't make me defend the prison state by saying wantonly inaccurate things about it.

computer parts posted:

Would be a good plan if this was state prison he was going to.

Also, yeah, he's going into federal. He'll go to a low security facility. And there's a small chance he'll be housed a mile or so from my house.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Swan Oat posted:

Are y'all trying to troll Shkreli by calling him a Slav?

"I’m the most successful Albanian to ever walk the face of this Earth. … The Albanian community is a very weird community. We’re some of the most tight-knit kind-of kill for each other, die for each other motherfuckers there are. People say it’s one of the craziest ethnicities there is in terms of their loyalty and bloodlines and poo poo like that."

Luigi Thirty posted:

Supposedly he tried to commit short selling violations via Twitter and someone called the SEC enforcement hotline. So he's either going to jail for a while or paying a huge penalty once they're through with all his bullshit.

:patriot:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

What I don't get about this is: Why? He's an rear end in a top hat, but he knows this poo poo is basically a one way ticket to jail? Why would he do that?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Albanians do not think of themselves as Slavs, is my point.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

how is that tweet exchange a violation exactly? i know little about finance

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Abel Wingnut posted:

how is that tweet exchange a violation exactly? i know little about finance

Offering to short sell anything is kinda frowned upon, but when you are a guy that is already under the microscope for doing that exact same thing repeatedly and having numerous violations investigated, its safe to say you're a moron if you talk about that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is that what he was arrested for?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

https://youtu.be/6b6CYHLWnyg

CommieGIR posted:

What I don't get about this is: Why? He's an rear end in a top hat, but he knows this poo poo is basically a one way ticket to jail? Why would he do that?

He's gotten away with a lot in the last few months, and he's gotten a lot of publicity too. He probably thought he was invincible, and that no one on Twitter would have knowledge of SEC regulations.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

No.

He was arrested for charges connected to Retrophin, the pharma he founded and was ousted from.

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015-martin-shkreli-securities-fraud/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

No.

He was arrested for charges connected to Retrophin, the pharma he founded and was ousted from.

That's what I thought, I was just making sure that I hadn't crossed into an alternate universe where the SEC gives a gently caress about what people say on twitter.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

CommieGIR posted:

The greatest rappers spend some time in jail.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

CommieGIR posted:

Cocaine

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Mr Hootington posted:

It's true. Strangely though Vanilla Ice wasn't arrested until two decades after his career ended.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I swear to god this is a real headline

Putin endorses Donald Trump for president

quote:

"He's a really brilliant and talented person, without any doubt. It's not our job to judge his qualities, that's a job for American voters, but he's the absolute leader in the presidential race," Putin said after his annual press conference in Moscow, according to the Interfax news wire.

"He says he wants to move on to a new, more substantial relationship, a deeper relationship with Russia, how can we not welcome that? Of course we welcome that," Putin added.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr Hootington posted:

All part of his grand career move plan.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

No.

The Pharma that was also incredibly pissed at him because he basically sold them down the river to make a quick buck.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Where do you even learn about all the financial poo poo Shkreli was doing?

This isn't an "asking for a friend" kind of question, but more like what's Shkreli's background?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well since every hawk on the right has a huge hard dick for Putin, this should be a ringing endorsement.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Where do you even learn about all the financial poo poo Shkreli was doing?

This isn't an "asking for a friend" kind of question, but more like what's Shkreli's background?

Self-made autodidact wunderkind who is the child of two working class immigrants, would be completely celebrated if he wasn't somehow worse than Patrick Bateman.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I love how far the Right is willing to being over to kiss Russian rear end considering they still view the Russians as the bogeyman.

And I could actually see Putin endorsing Trump out of spite for the West.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Justice department also released new guidelines say they were going after executives harder in white-collar crime cases, so

This is adorable

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

TheDisreputableDog posted:

This is adorable

Ah right, because Obama is soft on everything? Or?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

no, unfortunately, probably has to do with Retrophin

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Let's talk about what a piece of poo poo Paul Ryan is, shall we?

https://newrepublic.com/article/126024/bipartisan-budget-deal-starves-beast

quote:

Then there’s a “tax extenders” package, estimated at between $650 and $670 billion, the majority of which goes to tax breaks for corporations. None of those tax extenders is paid for, even while very miniscule increases in spending programs, like the $4.6 billion reauthorization of the Zadroga Act for 9/11 first responders’ health needs, must have a funding source.

[...]

Not every new tax cut benefits corporations: There is some good news for working families as well. Stimulus-created expansions of the Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, and American Opportunity Tax Credit (for college students) will be made permanent, without stringent eligibility requirements proposed by Republicans that would have made it harder for recent immigrants to legally access benefits. That adds up to about $200 billion in benefits for individuals over 10 years.

But that’s dwarfed by the tax breaks for corporations and the wealthy in the bill, which in sum equal about $470 billion. Some of these breaks, like a permanent research and development tax credit ($110 billion), are relatively anodyne. But the “active financing exception” ($78 billion) enables financial institutions to defer taxes on income earned outside the United States. This creates incentives for accounting tricks to make it look like interest, dividends, or other income comes from overseas. It effectively legalizes foreign tax havens.

Another break, the “look-through” rule ($8-$11 billion), lets multinational corporations shift profits to tax havens without triggering payment of U.S. taxes. That rule and “bonus depreciation,” an immediate deduction for business equipment, are only extended for five years. But that’s misleading: By putting their deadline further out than the usual array of “tax extenders” (a grab bag of tax breaks only extended to 2016 and seemingly doomed after that), it virtually ensures that these tax breaks will be perpetually extended, even if the others go away.

[...]

The omnibus also prevents the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Internal Revenue Service, and the White House (by executive order) from writing rules that force the disclosure of political spending by corporations. This preservation of dark money, according to election law expert Rick Hasen, leaves the public without the information it needs about who is trying to buy their elections.

You know what, gently caress it, read the whole drat thing, we got 100% hosed on this and if end up quoting and bolding every last bit

Toss 780 billion onto the national debt so the rich can get richer

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Now that the ball is rolling they might go with the new poo poo too. Can always charge him with those later, too. Leave something for Clinton's SEC to do.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Fried Chicken posted:

You know what, gently caress it, read the whole drat thing, we got 100% hosed on this and if end up quoting and bolding every last bit

Remember when we thought the world wasn't piss

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The NY Times has a bonus tidbit for the Shkreli arrest:

quote:

Evan L. Greebel, a corporate lawyer at Kaye Scholer who has worked with Mr. Shkreli, was also arrested on Thursday morning. A spokesman for the firm declined to comment.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

PaulRyanChart.gif

What a piece of poo poo.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Fried Chicken posted:

100% hosed is a gigantic exaggeration. There's a reason groups like the Heritage Foundation are telling Republicans to vote no. Congress is all about compromise, and surprise surprise Republicans represent big business and rich people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Huh that's weird because I heard that

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

TheDisreputableDog posted:

This is adorable

The reason rich people don't go to prison isn't strictly because of their money, it's because of their connections (that they have because of money) to politicians and judges. By all accounts shkreli has been really bad at getting those, and since he doesn't have a dad who'll continually intervene on his behalf, he's gonna get hosed by it. The SEC will absolutely throw him under the bus and Obama can claim it as a victory against Wall street and for Healthcare. It's too perfect to not do

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
So out of $670b, there's about $470b which benefits corporations and the wealthy. Not particularly surprising since they pay the majority of tax, so any tax package is going to benefit them more. And then $110b of that is a tax credit for R&D, and there's maybe ~$100b of objectionable stuff that benefits finance. I mean, sure that's not great, but what were you expecting in a budget deal?

Also, none of these are "new" tax cuts.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Bushiz posted:

The reason rich people don't go to prison isn't strictly because of their money, it's because of their connections (that they have because of money) to politicians and judges. By all accounts shkreli has been really bad at getting those, and since he doesn't have a dad who'll continually intervene on his behalf, he's gonna get hosed by it. The SEC will absolutely throw him under the bus and Obama can claim it as a victory against Wall street and for Healthcare. It's too perfect to not do

And he's still gonna just get sent to some white collar resort instead of a proper Federal Pound-Me-In-The-rear end Prison that he deserves.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Thump! posted:

And he's still gonna just get sent to some white collar resort instead of a proper Federal Pound-Me-In-The-rear end Prison that he deserves.

A pro-rape poster.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

He's going to popped collar prison.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thump! posted:

Hell yeah Rape.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
In reality this is all just the first step in the wu tang clan's heist scheme.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Thump! posted:

If you're going to base your assessment off the movie Office Space wonder what it says about minimum security deals?

quote:

Conjugal visits? Mmmm. Not that I know of. Y'know, minimum-security prison is no picnic. I have a client in there right now. He says the trick is: kick someone's rear end the first day, or become someone's bitch. Then everything will be all right. W-Why do you ask, anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

No Butt Stuff posted:

He's going to popped collar prison.

For all the jokes that it's Club Med, white collar prisons are not exactly vacation spots and anyone who's committed to reform should not hope that they go to worse prisons, because we shouldn't want worse prisons to exist.

The department I work in runs one of the only Inside Out programs that has been allowed into federal pen. It ain't a pinic.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 17, 2015

• Locked thread