Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Dirk the Average posted:

Nope. It's still really good with the 60% crit rate at 200% damage. Keep in mind that as you unlock more stuff that adds flat +attack (sodas/class specific stuff/accessories/armor/etc.), the fork's high crit chance and crit damage modifier make it better and better. I do usually swap out to the assassin daggers later on, especially once the thief ability comes online and they crit often enough anyway.

Interesting. I'm still not sure I'd rely on them too heavily, since I've never been a fan of crit-based builds in RPGs in general, preferring more base damage (I'd rather have an assured X damage than a might-be-x-or-y damage). We'll see, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Interesting. I'm still not sure I'd rely on them too heavily, since I've never been a fan of crit-based builds in RPGs in general, preferring more base damage (I'd rather have an assured X damage than a might-be-x-or-y damage). We'll see, though.

You can get up to nearly 100% crit pretty easy with thief's at endgame just fyi

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

MisterBibs posted:

Interesting. I'm still not sure I'd rely on them too heavily, since I've never been a fan of crit-based builds in RPGs in general, preferring more base damage rather than a crit-or-hosed-damage style. But I'll keep this in mind.

60% + 10-20% from armor + 25% from relics + 10-20% from items + 15% if you're a thief. It's not really luck based.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

uPen posted:

60% + 10-20% from armor + 25% from relics + 10-20% from items + 15% if you're a thief. It's not really luck based.

That's the thing, I'm not going to select armor/weapons/items for its +crit (those assassin daggers you mention are basically vendor trash as far as my playstyle goes). I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just concerned how they'll work for my play style.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Big crits or darkmages are all that really work in my experience. Letting anything survive turn 1 that isn't confused is usually a wipe.

e: Unless you've got high evasion I guess? If you could get that high enough that it's semi-reliable that could give you some breathing room.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Well, it looks like Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories just hit iOS so there's a good chance we might be seeing it soon.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

uPen posted:

Big crits or darkmages are all that really work in my experience. Letting anything survive turn 1 that isn't confused is usually a wipe.

e: Unless you've got high evasion I guess? If you could get that high enough that it's semi-reliable that could give you some breathing room.

lmao if you think the guy what says "tut tut I would never sully my hands with crit" is going to go for a dodge build

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

uPen posted:

Yeah this. The game doesn't exactly have a complex combat system. If you want to get more damage your only options are going to be increasing your crit damage and making sure you crit all the time, or getting all darkmages and blasting everything with magic. Once you get far enough along, scaling problems start to show up on physical-based damage, and end game you'll basically just be running 4 darkmages and a knight to avoid ambushes and ensure the occasional fountain appearance.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Good to know - at least I know the game has a defined end-point, then!

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I'm looking for recommendations for games that you can play offline: the first page has a bunch of recommendations but not whether or not they require a constant internet connection. Any suggestions?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Cornwind Evil posted:

I'm looking for recommendations for games that you can play offline: the first page has a bunch of recommendations but not whether or not they require a constant internet connection. Any suggestions?

Pixel dungeon, soda dungeon, efluria, king of dragon pass, xcom,

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Throwing in Fiz too. Making beer is addictive!

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
The Executive, Horizon Chase, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Battlestation: Harbinger, Lara Croft GO, Geometry Wars 3, Pac-Man CE DX, Space Marshals and GTA Chinatown Wars are all fun and recent games currently installed on my phone that seem to work OK without a net connection.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

MisterBibs posted:

That's the thing, I'm not going to select armor/weapons/items for its +crit (those assassin daggers you mention are basically vendor trash as far as my playstyle goes). I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just concerned how they'll work for my play style.

clinging to some special-snowflake "play style" makes no sense in a game that 99% of the time is "bigger numbers = better than". go do the math, see the superiority of the fork, don't report back etc

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Oh holy crap The Guides just updated, adding Chapter 3!! :dance:

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Minutefrontier: I'm not quite sure I get what's going on. I get new abilities by leveling up each class, and those are listed in the job menu, but I'm also randomly getting weapon levelups whether I'm using them or not, and it looks like my abilities level up too? Natural Recovery is at 3, but Staff Motion is at 1/5... is that one out of five found, or one-fifth level?

Why when I pick Wizard is my sword converted to a water sword? I don't get that either.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
Just gonna put my Star Wars code right here:

492-694-612

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

wall monitor posted:

Minutefrontier: I'm not quite sure I get what's going on. I get new abilities by leveling up each class, and those are listed in the job menu, but I'm also randomly getting weapon levelups whether I'm using them or not, and it looks like my abilities level up too? Natural Recovery is at 3, but Staff Motion is at 1/5... is that one out of five found, or one-fifth level?

Why when I pick Wizard is my sword converted to a water sword? I don't get that either.

Weapon levels go up based on drops, if you look each monster drops a specific weapon. And each job can have different elements on the weapons, like the Wizard getting a water element sword. Finally, 1/5 is you have 1 level out of a max of 5, some abilifies have no cap however and those tend to go up every level of the job that grants it, so like Monk's ability to givr you life every screen or the Vampire's ability to give you life every kill. Usually you see this ability granted at level 1 initially on the job submenu, from the pause screen.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Minute frontier: has anyone found any character/weapon combo that gives you autorun outside of girl/sword? It's almost an idle game, but I can't dedicate one finger to holding down a screen all day, I've got to actually do my job from time to time.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

StickFigs posted:

Just gonna put my Star Wars code right here:

492-694-612

For anyone who hasn't played Star Wars for a bit, they just added characters from the new movie, including 2 freebies. The Captain Phasma is really strong for a free 3-star.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

BobTheJanitor posted:

Minute frontier: has anyone found any character/weapon combo that gives you autorun outside of girl/sword? It's almost an idle game, but I can't dedicate one finger to holding down a screen all day, I've got to actually do my job from time to time.

That's the only one I've found for sure. I thought there may have been a second one, but I can't remember what it was. Something paired with sword, knife or dice, since those are the weapons I use the most.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Darth Maul and Sidious are reaming my poor Mace Windu Jedi team I've built up from launch. Was there a free Darth Maul day because why does everyone in Arena have one :argh:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dely Apple posted:

Darth Maul and Sidious are reaming my poor Mace Windu Jedi team I've built up from launch. Was there a free Darth Maul day because why does everyone in Arena have one :argh:

I'm hitting the same poo poo. At least my Dooku runs up to slap them in the face once they're done.

Also, Galactic War pro-tip: If poo poo's going bad and you don't want to wipe, or if you just lost a guy and just need to fill a spot in the party, you can "Retreat" on any of your character's turns, reshuffle your party, and jump back in. Absolutely no downside that I can find. Any damage you'd done to the opposing team is still there, and you can cycle in some heavy hitters after you're done letting your B through D teams get slaughtered.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Dely Apple posted:

I just spun up a premium data card and I got, you guessed it, Darth Maul. Seems it might be a guaranteed drop (right now) from the premium currency data cards.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

ModeSix posted:

I just spun up a premium data card and I got, you guessed it, Darth Maul. Seems it might be a guaranteed drop (right now) from the premium currency data cards.

Nope. I did an 8-pack today, plus 2 singles. Got lots of pieces of people, but no Maul at all. The only "full" characters I got were duplicates.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

Good to know - at least I know the game has a defined end-point, then!

Not really a defined end point. When I say 'end game' I basically mean once you get to the 'warrior dimension' which is just endlessly running the dungeon until your group dies (or, more likely, the game crashes because it has a memory leak), and then upgrading them and running again to get further. I don't think there is a max level at this point, but people who have been playing since Soda Dungeon was released are reaching levels in the hundreds of thousands and getting a few billion gold every few screens. No point to it, really, at least until future updates.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Dely Apple posted:

Darth Maul and Sidious both got buffs in the latest patch. In particular, Maul now does extra damage to Jedi with his abilities and Sidious gets evasion vs Jedi attacks. Vader also got an anti-Jedi buff so I'm not going to bother leveling any more Jedi for a team. Sure Jedi are good and Sith don't really get a good leader skill but there's so many anti-Jedi characters now. Tons of people bought Dooku, Sidious is easy to get from PvP and everyone will get Vader eventually so Jedi are in for a hard time in the long run.

At least the new movie characters are all farmable.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

New Leaf posted:

Nope. I did an 8-pack today, plus 2 singles. Got lots of pieces of people, but no Maul at all. The only "full" characters I got were duplicates.

I guess I got extremely lucky then on my single pull.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

If it's anything like MinuteQuest, just lay a spoon on the left side of the screen, and your mans will go.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

BobTheJanitor posted:

Not really a defined end point. When I say 'end game' I basically mean once you get to the 'warrior dimension' which is just endlessly running the dungeon until your group dies (or, more likely, the game crashes because it has a memory leak), and then upgrading them and running again to get further. I don't think there is a max level at this point, but people who have been playing since Soda Dungeon was released are reaching levels in the hundreds of thousands and getting a few billion gold every few screens. No point to it, really, at least until future updates.

That's my point: if I get to a point where I have to min max into a crit-based build to survive, that means it's the end of the game.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

MisterBibs posted:

That's my point: if I get to a point where I have to min max into a crit-based build to survive, that means it's the end of the game.

There's no min-maxing involved though? You literally just do more damage with weapons that crit, end of story. The fork and assassin's daggers are two of the best weapons in the game, and similarly, the demon armor is one of the best armors in the game.

This isn't some crazy odd thing where you spec in fifteen different ways and pray to the RNG to succeed; you just put on the best weapon/armor combos and go kill things.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

You have an obtuse train of thought in this

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Tagichatn posted:

Darth Maul and Sidious both got buffs in the latest patch. In particular, Maul now does extra damage to Jedi with his abilities and Sidious gets evasion vs Jedi attacks. Vader also got an anti-Jedi buff so I'm not going to bother leveling any more Jedi for a team. Sure Jedi are good and Sith don't really get a good leader skill but there's so many anti-Jedi characters now. Tons of people bought Dooku, Sidious is easy to get from PvP and everyone will get Vader eventually so Jedi are in for a hard time in the long run.

At least the new movie characters are all farmable.

Luminara is pretty essential to my team for healing purposes, and she's a good team leader, plus her nuke is devastating, but yeah, most of my heavy hitters are Dark Side. I usually run her with Dooku, Chewbacca, Talia, and Asajj, and I hover around rank 500 or so.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

DoubleT2172 posted:

You have an obtuse train of thought in this

"Ugh, Knights? Those patriarchic, sexist pigs? I won't besmirch the morality of my simplistic idler number embiggener game with benevolent sexism"

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Locke Dunnegan posted:

"Ugh, Knights? Those patriarchic, sexist pigs? I won't besmirch the morality of my simplistic idler number embiggener game with benevolent sexism"

I thought the Knights were female until I unlocked customization :v: they're wee pixel dudes anyway.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Is your first Google survey payout usually unreasonably large? I just chose between images of a horribly pixelated master chief and a horribly pixelated Lara Croft for $1

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

pile of brown posted:

Is your first Google survey payout usually unreasonably large? I just chose between images of a horribly pixelated master chief and a horribly pixelated Lara Croft for $1

Yes, they probably average like 10-15c.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
FYI in minute frontier.

The hammer charges up bases on how many taps you do. It will not fire until you stop. As a result I've been 1 shotting bosses with it. Just let them wail on you while you charge it up and release before they get the last shot.

So far I've unlocked up to the geomancer so not sure if this is a valid tactic long term.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
According to AppSales whole bunch of games including Lifeline 2, The Banner Saga, Prune, Lego Batman, Lego Star Wars, every Final Fantasy (including Tactics), Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, several 2K games (including XCOM), Devil's Attorney , Heroes of Might and Magic III HD and that Adventure Time card game are on sale right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Is the FFT port good? Should I pick it up? A lot of the reviews bitching that it doesn't work.