Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

If you knew MIGF in real life and had had to endure high school with him, what sort of felony do you think it'd drive you to?

Clownslaughter Mass Clownslaughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

UberJew posted:

Have we so easily forgotten Carl Mark Force IV?

How dare you suggest such a thing.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
New Orleans city council just voted 6-1 to remove confederate monuments

So that will be interesting

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

If they just wait a few years they'll be underwater anyway.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Indiana's GOP congressional delegation moved to extend the EB-5 Immigrant Investor program while voting to block refugee resettlement.

Money talks

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
All the conservative garbage posters on r/politicaldiscussion are flipping out about the spending bill so I assume this is good news, right?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fried Chicken posted:

This kind of makes me sad. I think the South can embrace it's heritage and at the same time acknowledge how horrible it was. I've been to places in Europe where the do this quite well. Most of Germany fully embraces it's past and at the same time fully acknowledges how horrible the Nazis were. Instead of tearing down the monuments why not add plaques that acknowledge how horrible the Confederacy was?

I'm being 100% serious.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

Work it, twink! Maybe you'll get your own, personal Chuck Tingle written book one day.

"Battered in the Butt by Bourgeois Unicorns," would be a good title, I think.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

For being white and punching a Chicago cop.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

radical meme posted:

This kind of makes me sad. I think the South can embrace it's heritage and at the same time acknowledge how horrible it was. I've been to places in Europe where the do this quite well. Most of Germany fully embraces it's past and at the same time fully acknowledges how horrible the Nazis were. Instead of tearing down the monuments why not add plaques that acknowledge how horrible the Confederacy was?

I'm being 100% serious.

Because people in the South love their history and wish slavery still existed.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fried Chicken posted:

Indiana's GOP congressional delegation moved to extend the EB-5 Immigrant Investor program while voting to block refugee resettlement.

Money talks

It wasn't Americans that built the statue of liberty.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

metachronos posted:

All the conservative garbage posters on r/politicaldiscussion are flipping out about the spending bill so I assume this is good news, right?

Conservatives didn't get everything they wanted = end of the loving world.

It's not as bad as it could be would be how I would describe it really.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Unrelated to the current discussion, but this just popped into my head and the thread is still accessible

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2875010

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

radical meme posted:

I'm being 100% serious.

I think at this point, the plaques would just be a band-aid. The people there genuinely see the Confederates as heroes. Only by removing that sense of legitimacy from the state grounds, will generational progress be possible.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Radbot posted:

Pretty much this. Imagine if Europe was full of people who cosplayed as Nazis and claimed that Jews were happier during the Holocaust.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Radbot posted:

Yeah, I suppose if there were a total unwillingness to face your horrible past then the only alternative is to tear that poo poo down. But, I'd prefer to see acknowledgment of past transgressions over destruction of monuments.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Aliquid posted:

Unrelated to the current discussion, but this just popped into my head and the thread is still accessible

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2875010

~ memories ~ :allears:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

radical meme posted:

I'm being 100% serious.

Reconstruction was an abject failure, the Southern power structure was allowed to reform, the North didn't grind them into dust like they should have done, the impact of the Civil War was erased too soon because of that. They never had to change their ways for the better so they'll never acknowledge their failings the way properly punished regimes have.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

radical meme posted:

Yeah, I suppose if there were a total unwillingness to face your horrible past then the only alternative is to tear that poo poo down. But, I'd prefer to see acknowledgment of past transgressions over destruction of monuments.

The South is closer to Japan and its relationship with its naughty deeds than it is to Europe.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

radical meme posted:

Many, if not most, of the monuments in question were erected well after the fact. We're not talking about preserving history, we're talking about perpetuating a myth that these monuments were erected to create and maintain.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Filthy Hans posted:

Reconstruction was an abject failure, the Southern power structure was allowed to reform, the North didn't grind them into dust like they should have done, the impact of the Civil War was erased too soon because of that. They never had to change their ways for the better so they'll never acknowledge their failings the way properly punished regimes have.

It's never too late to clone/time travel up William T. Sherman.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Fried Chicken posted:

Lots of mad whitey on my Facebook page tonight, lol.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

MariusLecter posted:

It's never too late to clone/time travel up William T. Sherman.

Anything which makes the south howl is aok in my book

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Talmonis posted:

I think at this point, the plaques would just be a band-aid. The people there genuinely see the Confederates as heroes. Only by removing that sense of legitimacy from the state grounds, will generational progress be possible.

I agree with your Confederate hero mythology but, I'd just like to point out that it wasn't just the South that created this mythology. Hollywood did as much to create that mythology as anyone and it was fully embraced by the entire nation. Gone with the Wind is considered one of the greatest movies ever in the history of Hollywood and just go back and watch it and see how it glorified the South and the Confederacy. The South, I'll admit, was never forced to embrace it's own horrible past.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Many, if not most, of the monuments in question were erected well after the fact. We're not talking about preserving history, we're talking about perpetuating a myth that these monuments were erected to create and maintain.

If you think about it, they're historical artifacts that should say more about the Jim Crow era they were erected in than the antebellum they commemorate. But they don't, and their continued veneration and perceived value don't do anything good for us.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:negative:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I just can't even believe this is real.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

I blame Loretta Lynch. Eric Holder would have gotten it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Welp, now I'm emigrating.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
NY FBI knows the Wutang Clan ain't nothin ta gently caress with.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

The bitterest of victories.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They probably had to tweet it because of the 500 FOIA requests they got for the album.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Now's the time for the heist.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

foobardog posted:

I blame Loretta Lynch. Eric Holder would have gotten it.

Seriously.

Holder would have gotten that poo poo "lost" so him and Obama could jam out to it on the Oval Office.

Speaking of which, do you think it was Obama or Clinton that played rap in the white house for the first time?

I mean played it to enjoy it, not scare their donors.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

He's out on bail. Watch him break it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They need to get the MSNBC journalists who showed all those social security cards on live TV on the case.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wookums posted:

Now's the time for the heist.

Just send the media to his apartment.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

Holy poo poo!

MIGF made a good & funny post!

:pusheen:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

We may be living in a dystopian future, but any world where FBI has to tweet out the status of a Wu-Tang album is one of the better dystopian futures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

Enjoying a MIGF post ITT.

• Locked thread