Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

oh dope posted:

a buddy of mine always has a pocket knife on him, but one day he forgot he had it on him when he tried to get into a concert and they took it and never gave in back. well, i got him for a secret santa deal, and i'm looking to replace his lovely old knife with a nice new one. doesn't have to be anything fancy. any suggestions?

Well worth checking out Massdrop.com, they always have decent deals on knives. I personally have a Kershaw Volt II and a Kershaw Shuffle from there and theyre both excellent every day carry knives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Eh, the Kershaw Shuffle is kinda lame. The bottle opener snags on my pocket and the entire thing feels pretty flimsy.

A Benchmade Minigrip is, to me, the gold standard of small, useful pocketknives.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I like the Opinel knives, but they're definitely a different breed than most pocket knives.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Arcturas posted:

I like the Opinel knives, but they're definitely a different breed than most pocket knives.

I used to always carry an Opinel #6 but I switched to a Svord Peasant knife and couldn't be happier. It's lighter, one hand opening, and takes a wicked edge. The only downside is that you'll have to do a little bit of finish work on the handle and it likes a shallower edge than from the factory. For less than $10 though, you can't complain.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Hey all, my girlfriend has a nice leather purse that she loves but can't use when it's raining. I'm looking for something for her for xmas that's a good looking small purse that at the same time won't have an issue in the wet. Ideally something kind of understated but not of the active wear variety if that makes sense...

starfish
Dec 21, 2004

kgibson posted:

Hey all, my girlfriend has a nice leather purse that she loves but can't use when it's raining. I'm looking for something for her for xmas that's a good looking small purse that at the same time won't have an issue in the wet. Ideally something kind of understated but not of the active wear variety if that makes sense...

I recently bought a bag made out of waxed canvas which stands up well to rain (I think it was traditionally used for army gear? I dunno). I found it on Etsy, loads of shops sell them in different styles.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

kgibson posted:

Depends on your price range, but fjallraven and a few other outfitters (e.g., Barbour, etc.) make waxed canvas (or otherwise waterproof) bags that might be up your alley.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Thank you both. Waxed canvas was the hot ticket

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Is there a streaming device that does the following (in order of importance):

1. Has component outputs (hooking it up to an old TV in our basement)
2. Won't freak out interface-wise about hooking up to a non-HDTV display
3. Can do plex / netflix / amazon / youtube / etc
4. Would be a bonus if I could "cast" to the device

I would prefer it to be pretty cheap if at all possible. Looks like a Roku 1 has composite out, not sure if there is anything else comparable / if the Roku 1 no longer gets updates, etc.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You could get an HDMI streaming device and some sort of HDMI->component converter. Looks like they are $20-30 on amazon.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I want to get my wife some nice slippers for Christmas. For stuff that she wears in order to keep warm, fuzzier and fluffier on the body contact side is better. Bonus points if they are fluffy on the outside As well, and also if they can be bought in a physical store (but that's not a requirement). Let's say $100 max budget but who the heck makes $100 slippers?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

C-Euro posted:

I want to get my wife some nice slippers for Christmas. For stuff that she wears in order to keep warm, fuzzier and fluffier on the body contact side is better. Bonus points if they are fluffy on the outside As well, and also if they can be bought in a physical store (but that's not a requirement). Let's say $100 max budget but who the heck makes $100 slippers?

There were a few recommendations last page.

Mushinronsha
Apr 14, 2006

Please do not feed poinsettias to animals, its not good for them and I dont want PI to yell at me.
There are definitely $100 slippers, here's a good review of some of the best ones http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-slippers/

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

My boyfriend is really hard to shop for, so I'm asking this thread for Christmas ideas. Looking for unique or interesting things that aren't over $100. His likes include:

-Death metal
-Spicy stuff (hot sauce and peppers. He literally puts ghost chili in just about everything he cooks)
-Craft beer (it'd have to be something really unique, he's tried just about everything and has plenty of glasses and growlers)
-Video games
-Guns
-Meat/cooking
-General nerdy crap
-Working out
-Espresso
-Hiking

Right now my "to get" list is some good beef jerky and a digital meat thermometer. Just looking for something else that's really cool to go along with them. TIA :)

What about a starter kit for making his own beer?
http://www.northernbrewer.com/essential-brewing-starter-kit

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

taqueso posted:

You could get an HDMI streaming device and some sort of HDMI->component converter. Looks like they are $20-30 on amazon.

I heard they were a crap shoot since they removed HDCP so some stuff might not work.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

dreesemonkey posted:

I heard they were a crap shoot since they removed HDCP so some stuff might not work.

You will need to get a converter that supports HDCP. I assumed most with decent ratings would support it, but if you add 'HDCP' to the amazon search some come up that explicitly say they support HDCP.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Mushinronsha posted:

There are definitely $100 slippers, here's a good review of some of the best ones http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-slippers/

I have the halfingers, they are great.

Minus Pants
Jul 18, 2004
I'm looking for a tv stand/entertainment center that's about 4 or 5' wide and has a slide-out shelf for a turntable. Do these exist?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mushinronsha posted:

Thanks for this, went and ordered the LL Bean ones due to the fluffiness.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Any recommendations on electric vertical smokers? Preferably bigguns, at least large enough to smoke a whole turkey plus extras?

I haven't picked out a Christmas present yet.

Also looking for electric grills. I think Weber makes some of the tabletop variety, but I'm wondering if they're any good.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Minus Pants posted:

I'm looking for a tv stand/entertainment center that's about 4 or 5' wide and has a slide-out shelf for a turntable. Do these exist?

I'm a fan of Ikea's BESTA product line. They (at least used to) have a slide out shelf like you're describing - my wife has a turntable and we did the exact same thing you're trying to do last year but I can't seem to find the shelf on their website.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I went ahead and bought a Leesa mattress and I've been sleeping on it about a week or two. The first couple of nights were kind of tough, the mattress was really firm. I think it was still just decompressing, though. Now it feels great and I love it! I would recommend it if anybody is still looking to buy an Internet mattress.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap, small, durable shoulder/messenger bag like the following but maybe a bit nicer looking and with an extra zippered compartment in the front? The biggest thing I'd carry is my 12" lenovo x250.

http://www.aussiedisposals.com.au/haversack-wh2-black
Even the smaller timbuk2 bags seem bigger (and pricier) than I'd like.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Friends, recommend to me a general-purpose chef knife for around $100 or less.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Inzombiac posted:

There is a kitchen equipment and kitchen knife thread in Something Offal, but to save you a trip here's two choices.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fi...x+kitchen+knife
http://www.amazon.com/Tojiro-DP-Gyutou-8-2-21cm/dp/B000UAPQGS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446359461&sr=8-1&keywords=tojiro+dp

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

http://www.amazon.com/French-Sabatier-Forged-Carbon-Steel/dp/B007NZQSD8

Or the same thing in stainless steel, depending on how much attention you want to pay to it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Inzombiac posted:

Tojiro DP Gyutou - 8.2" (21cm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UAPQGS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_J-zEwbQ0WWZFD

I got mine for $50 shipped I think it's just Xmas and such give it a week

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Go with one of these suggestions. Also not a fan of the sabtiers suggestion because I dislike finger bolsters on kitchen knives. Makes sharpening the knife annoying.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
My brother's girlfriend wants a makeup bag. Is there an Osprey of makeup bags?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Chas McGill posted:

My brother's girlfriend wants a makeup bag. Is there an Osprey of makeup bags?

Like, a markup artist's type bag?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Something like this, but not animal print:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Thanks guys. I'm gonna mull this over and purchase after Xmas.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Owners of 4K screens of any kind - Was it worth upgrading? What screen do you have and what device is pushing the video?

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
Has anyone ever sold their gift cards on one of those online gift card sites? I have one that I want to get rid of and after looking at reviews for several sites I am not sure there is any wise choice for it. It's a $50 card. On the one hand, it's not my money in the first place, but on the other hand, I don't like being ripped off.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

SA mart...?

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

colas posted:

Owners of 4K screens of any kind - Was it worth upgrading? What screen do you have and what device is pushing the video?

See I love the upgrade to 4k but the lack of 4k content is just really irritating. If you're planning to game on it then you'll need something beefy GFX wise unless you just drop the resolution. I think a 780/780ti is recommended for that and thats certainly not max settings across the board. Personally I run a GTX770 (4gb) and it plays all my blizz games at 4k but theyre very optimised. Any generic AAA title is gonna beast it at higher settings. All in all though, I fly drones so I love the plethora of 4k footage in that genre thanks to DJI putting 4k cameras on alot of their drones now, but after a few weeks you'll probably burn out the remaining videos youre interested in unless you're planning on producing your own content.

If you're a productive person that wants more screen estate and watch the occasional 4k video then its an absolutely beautiful upgrade especially now theyre getting so cheap, but with gaming theres alot more to consider but it doesnt really sound like you were interested in that anyway

Edit, I have the Dell P2415Q, looks like its 400$ on amazon at the moment, some people dont like the fact its so small the the PPI is so high but I sit pretty close, 27" and 30" 4k monitors look great at that PPI too so it may be worth considering depending on your setup (ive not seen a 40" personally yet)

Astrobastard has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Dec 27, 2015

Mushinronsha
Apr 14, 2006

Please do not feed poinsettias to animals, its not good for them and I dont want PI to yell at me.

JustAurora posted:

Has anyone ever sold their gift cards on one of those online gift card sites? I have one that I want to get rid of and after looking at reviews for several sites I am not sure there is any wise choice for it. It's a $50 card. On the one hand, it's not my money in the first place, but on the other hand, I don't like being ripped off.

I used CardPool after last Christmas and everything went smoothly. Thanks for reminding me to look that up, as I have one I need to get rid of this year too!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Anyone wanna refer me to card pool for that quick $5? I can pm email

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I just moved into a new house and it is devoid of a pantry and after unpacking the kitchen boxes I don't have a leftover cabinet for food so I need to buy a free standing pantry, but where I live only has one furniture store with questionable quality pieces. We rent so getting one permanently installed is out of the question.

I am looking for a freestanding pantry/food storage furniture that is:
  • not a piece of poo poo (i.e. can withstand being moved to a new house in the future possibly multiple times)
  • preferably preassembled and if not can be assembled by one person
  • not IKEA (I love IKEA furniture but the closest one is a 3 hour drive away from me)
  • not horrifically expensive (under ~$600)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Just got a Motorola Nexus 6 off of Amazon (it was a fire sale at 299.99 for the 64gb). Any recommendations for cases? I've only used the otterbox commuter for each and every smartphone I've ever had, but wondering if there is a new kid on the block that does it better/cheaper. I'd like the case to have a small form factor, but also has a raised edge on the "face" side, so that if I drop it it will protect the screen from hitting the ground even if it falls flat on the screen. Also, preferably the case will not be gummy/rubbery, as I want to be able to get the phone in and out of pockets easily (although that will obviously be harder than usual given the size of this monstrosity).