Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

cargohills posted:

Travel didn't exactly take long in the previous films either.

Did it? I'd have to go back and be sure but i feel that in the old films they were in hyperspace for long enough to go and do something else, or there was a cut where an indeterminate amount of time had passed.

In this movie they literally go three quarters of the way across the galaxy in one 5 second shot at the end. It's really weird, and reminded me of the jump to Vulcan in ST09.

Another thing was that apparently Starkiller Base, the Republic Capital planet and whatever planet Han Solo was on at the time (i forget if it was the cantina or Resistance planet) were all in the same star system. I'm not going to complain about every scientific inaccuracy in the film but it just feels odd, like JJ doesn't know the difference between a star system and a galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The five republic planets just floating next to one another in space bunched up real close together and also being visible (and almost moon sized) from the rebel planet was really stupid but the movie kinda embraces the whole space magic bullshit angle when it does the "12 parsecs" moment so there's really no point delving into any of the space travel shenanigans, objects move at the speed the plot requires them to, that's about it.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The five republic planets just floating next to one another in space bunched up real close together and also being visible (and almost moon sized) from the rebel planet was really stupid but the movie kinda embraces the whole space magic bullshit angle when it does the "12 parsecs" moment so there's really no point delving into any of the space travel shenanigans, objects move at the speed the plot requires them to, that's about it.

To be fair they could of been like... really big moons but yea it's dumb if you think about it! but I feel like it was dramatic and worked at the time.

CJ posted:

Did it? I'd have to go back and be sure but i feel that in the old films they were in hyperspace for long enough to go and do something else, or there was a cut where an indeterminate amount of time had passed.

In this movie they literally go three quarters of the way across the galaxy in one 5 second shot at the end. It's really weird, and reminded me of the jump to Vulcan in ST09.

Another thing was that apparently Starkiller Base, the Republic Capital planet and whatever planet Han Solo was on at the time (i forget if it was the cantina or Resistance planet) were all in the same star system. I'm not going to complain about every scientific inaccuracy in the film but it just feels odd, like JJ doesn't know the difference between a star system and a galaxy.

If you wanna build a super weapon which can't move and has to suck up a sun to power it then it's gotta be close to its targets!

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

cargohills posted:

Travel didn't exactly take long in the previous films either.

All ships in star wars travel at the speed of plot!

Just got back from the second viewing, which was even better than the first.

The parallels/rehashing of ANH don't bother me at all, and it's a really good way to make the things that don't "rhyme" stand out. Like how Han Solo's death obviously mirrors Ben's, but beyond being a motivation for Rey and Finn it sets Kylo Ren on his path in ways that it didn't with Vader killing Ben

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

hemale in pain posted:

If you wanna build a super weapon which can't move and has to suck up a sun to power it then it's gotta be close to its targets!

Wait, it can't move? Then what were they going to do after they sucked up the sun it was orbiting for the second shot? Build another one on another planet? Don't answer that, i don't want to think about how dumb the plot is.

By the way was Finn a clone? He had a serial number and was trained from birth, but i wasn't clear on whether he was a clone or just some baby they abducted. I remember Kylo Ren and Hux said something about clones on the bridge of the ship but i didn't catch it.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

CJ posted:

By the way was Finn a clone? He had a serial number and was trained from birth, but i wasn't clear on whether he was a clone or just some baby they abducted. I remember Kylo Ren and Hux said something about clones on the bridge of the ship but i didn't catch it.

The guy said something like "we should've used the clone army and not this Force bullshit".

e: I might've remembered this as wrong as possible.

Ras Het fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 18, 2015

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

CJ posted:

Wait, it can't move? Then what were they going to do after they sucked up the sun it was orbiting for the second shot? Build another one on another planet? Don't answer that, i don't want to think about how dumb the plot is.

I assumed it can definitely move, even though that would raise a variety of questions on its own (I assume that the planet being habitable was not important to the guys who had a massive base built on it? dunno).

And finn specifically says he was abducted, on top of that Ren grills the general guy about having an entire army of storm troopers who are not clones cause they lack discipline and poo poo so no, not a clone.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

The sun thing it orbits probably re-ignites after a while, idk I'm not an astrophycisist

The Death Star Mk3 wouldn't need to move, since it can just blast planets through hyperspace

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It looked like it was actually sucking down the mass from the star, stars can't reignite if you just suck out all of their fuel. I assumed it needed to move to consume more stars once it depletes the current one.

Though really, space magic so whatever.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Its pretty telling that no one cares about Coruscant getting destroyed

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Edit:.wrong thread

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It looked like it was actually sucking down the mass from the star, stars can't reignite if you just suck out all of their fuel. I assumed it needed to move to consume more stars once it depletes the current one.

Though really, space magic so whatever.

Hmm I thought it looked more like it was sucking up the explody fire bits of the star, leaving the actual core and surface and all that intact.

"There's hope as long as there's light" and so on

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

babypolis posted:

Its pretty telling that no one cares about Coruscant getting destroyed

Because it wasn't, they blew up "the Hosnian system". Whatever that is.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Stars are generally 100% exploding hydrogen. That line referred to how the weapon will be fully charged once the star is fully consumed.

Raithe
Apr 17, 2008

Don't worry: I've got the moon covered...
I rationalized in my head that they would save a wee bit of energy and use the weapon as a thruster, but didn't they fire it twice? Or try to at least? `

If so, somewhere in the middle of that movie the First Order managed to shift a planet between solar systems.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Who was the Scottish dude who wanted his money from Han? The actor, that is, mainly.

His name is Brian Vernel. Hasn't been in much except a BBC adaptation of that non Harry Potter JK Rowling book. Incidentally I work in TV and Film in the UK and did a little runner work on this film. Lots of actors here were literally taking basically silent extra work because it's star wars. I saw Syrio Forel and Jojen Reed from Game of Thrones, and I'm sure that was Freema Agyman from Doctor Who and Sens8 as random scared woman on the planet that blows up.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Mowglis Haircut posted:

His name is Brian Vernel. Hasn't been in much except a BBC adaptation of that non Harry Potter JK Rowling book. Incidentally I work in TV and Film in the UK and did a little runner work on this film. Lots of actors here were literally taking basically silent extra work because it's star wars. I saw Syrio Forel and Jojen Reed from Game of Thrones, and I'm sure that was Freema Agyman from Doctor Who and Sens8 as random scared woman on the planet that blows up.

SYRIO LIVES!!!

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Who was the fat bearded X-wing pilot? Did he win a contest to be in the film or something? The scenes with him felt like a fan film on YouTube.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CJ posted:

Because it wasn't, they blew up "the Hosnian system". Whatever that is.

oh what? I thought they were blowing up the Senate

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

CJ posted:

Who was the fat bearded X-wing pilot? Did he win a contest to be in the film or something? The scenes with him felt like a fan film on YouTube.

Porkins lives?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Raithe posted:

Best part of the movie:

Rey: Oh my god, Han Solo, you're a war hero!
Chewie: *scoffs*

Really enjoyed the whole thing except for the three minute close up on Luke at the end.

Nothing that can't be solved with a Special Edition.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

No, but i just realised who he is - the fat guy from Heroes.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0342399/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t5

That's why i was getting TV actor vibes from him.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

CJ posted:

Looked like Jon Favreau to me, lol

Edit:

CJ posted:

No, but i just realised who he is - the fat guy from Heroes.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0342399/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t5

That's why i was getting TV actor vibes from him.

Cool

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
People were very excited for him to be in the movie for some reason.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

iSheep posted:

People were very excited for him to be in the movie for some reason.

He's one of JJ's best friends, and shows up in almost everything he does. Like as Weiss on Alias. Or the pilot in the first episode of Lost. Or random dude from MI:III who called Tom Cruise boring.

I think he's fun, but it's not a huge deal or anything.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Did anyone spot that Kylo Ren recognises Lor San Tekka and says he "got old" or something? It was said fans would recognise who Lor San Tekka "is" but I don't know who the gently caress he is.

Either way Kylo acknowledges him and Lor San Tekka seems to know who Kylo is as well, as if they have had dealings before.

Also, when Rey touches the saber is part of her vision of the Cloud City tunnel? Namely the one where Vader steps out onto the lit floor and starts battering Luke?

It was really great that we hear the murdered Jedi younglings calling her down to the saber, I've never thought of the weapon in that way before. She's disgusted by it, but Luke was never wise to that aspect of it when he wielded it.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

BastardySkull posted:

Also, when Rey touches the saber is part of her vision of the Cloud City tunnel? Namely the one where Vader steps out onto the lit floor and starts battering Luke?
Yes.

BastardySkull posted:

It was really great that we hear the murdered Jedi younglings calling her down to the saber, I've never thought of the weapon in that way before. She's disgusted by it, but Luke was never wise to that aspect of it when he wielded it.
Oh, nice. That makes much more sense. Rey is powerful.

skog
Aug 20, 2009
Cinema Discusso › Star Wars: The Force Awakens spoil-o-rama thread. They call him Kit Fisto for a reason

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Saw it last night and it was super good. I liked that the name of the base was a subtle reference to Luke Starkiller. I assumed the base could move because it definitely completely devoured stars to fire (hence the name) and it had fired earlier in the film. I just figured that's why Snoke had to give the order to "prepare to fire" because it was a monumental task to get the weapon into the correct position. It also didn't shoot at a target close to it; they mention that the weapon blast travels through hyperspace so it can strike any planet anywhere in the galaxy. So it can just hop between nearby stars and snipe problematic planets whereas the Death Star had to get into a proper orbit first.

People are saying it's largely a rehash of IV, but I saw a lot of VI in there as a well, what with them sneaking onto a planet to disable a shield.

The only thing I really didn't like was Moz. It seemed super unnecessary to include her sequence and I'm not sure what they got out of it. That character was also the only one that looked fake and overly CGI to me.

Oh and hey, this was the first Star Wars movie to use a flashback even if it was cleverly disguised as a vision.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Wank posted:

Yes.

Oh, nice. That makes much more sense. Rey is powerful.

It is likely she was conceived by the midichlorians.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I can't find a cam copy of the vision scene but people are saying there was Luke's voice, Obi-Wan, Yoda etc. I missed all that I think.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Atlas Hugged posted:

Oh and hey, this was the first Star Wars movie to use a flashback even if it was cleverly disguised as a vision.

I don't think you can say this goes against the style guide or whatever since RotS had a flashforward force vision. To be honest i hope Rey is a Jason Bourne daughter of Skywalker because it makes all her amazing powers make a lot more sense. If she's just an ace pilot, mechanic and duelist from the start without any training it cheapens all that Jedi training.

CJ fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 18, 2015

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'd say Luke's sabre contains the essence of Darth Vader, and it was transferred into Rey when she touched it. That's why Kylo is so affected by Rey's presence; a big part of his character is trying and failing to live up to his grandfather.

Either way they're setting up sabre's to be more mystical than we've seen before. They contain memories of the life of the user.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I worried for a long time that this would end up being a safe reboot but wow was it a safe reboot.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

CJ posted:

I don't think you can say this goes against the style guide or whatever since RotS had a flashforward force vision.

I can't find it now, but I remember reading a quote where Lucas specifically said that Star Wars didn't contain any flashbacks and he didn't want them. I could be getting that confused with something else though. I think the "flashforward" gets a pass because it was mostly just clumsy foreshadowing and also the prequels never happened.

Bedshaped posted:

I'd say Luke's sabre contains the essence of Darth Vader, and it was transferred into Rey when she touched it. That's why Kylo is so affected by Rey's presence; a big part of his character is trying and failing to live up to his grandfather.

Either way they're setting up sabre's to be more mystical than we've seen before. They contain memories of the life of the user.

Which falls back to how they were conceived in the original films, like Excalibur. They have weight. Also, this was the best lightsaber duel since Empire. No twirling, flipping garbage. Just emotion and character.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Just saw it. loving great. But who is Rey's family goddamnit!?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I worried for a long time that this would end up being a safe reboot but wow was it a safe reboot.

J.J. Abrams was never going to make anything other than a nostalgia cash-in safe reboot.

Rian Johnson is the better director who, if he has a spine, will take risks and bring more original content.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Cat Machine posted:

I'm kinda bummed that Han died instead of Leia because I actually think Ford was putting in a much stronger performance than Fisher, who will probably be hanging around for another movie or two

It wouldn't surprise me if Ford was curmudgeonly saying something along the lines of "you better fuckin kill me in this! No way in hell am I spending the rest of my life going to more San Diego whatsits and being around sweaty nerds!". It's funny that Han dies in this falling into a planet and Chewie died by having a planet dropped on him in the Old EU. It's like poetry, it rhymes :v:

Bedshaped posted:

J.J. Abrams was never going to make anything other than a nostalgia cash-in safe reboot.

Rian Johnson is the better director who, if he has a spine, will take risks and bring more original content.

I don't think it's whether or not the director has a spine, I think it's more along the lines of if Disney will not just impose their will on him to make him go in a direction that they view will be the most profitable for them. Creative or not.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 18, 2015

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Just saw it. loving great. But who is Rey's family goddamnit!?

Seemed pretty clear to me that she's Luke's daughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Raithe posted:

Rey: Oh my god, Han Solo, you're a war hero!
Chewie: *scoffs*

I loved that Finn and Rey had such similar but differing reactions to Han.

Finn: Han Solo, the war hero/general!?! :aaa:
Rey: Han Solo, the smuggler!?! :swoon:

• Locked thread