Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

Prices dropped because of fracking. It flooded the market with oil, which ironically now makes fracking economically unfeasible. But even if there is less fracking going forward, the market now knows the U.S. and Canada can produce huge amounts of crude when prices rise again. This means instability in Iraq or Venezuela won't cause a shortage worldwide.

But yeah, Presidents have no control over gas prices. They don't control unemployment numbers either. They do have a little control over the housing market via whoever they nominated to be Fed Chairman.

Okay, so I was kinda-sorta on point about that. Thanks. And yeah, as little as I know about the President I know he can't directly control unemployment despite what conspiracy theories come up with. I mean, he could veto job bills but that's not exactly the same thing as directly influencing how many jobs there are like messing with a thermostat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Prices dropped because of fracking. It flooded the market with oil, which ironically now makes fracking economically unfeasible. But even if there is less fracking going forward, the market now knows the U.S. and Canada can produce huge amounts of crude when prices rise again. This means instability in Iraq or Venezuela won't cause a shortage worldwide.

But yeah, Presidents have no control over gas prices. They don't control unemployment numbers either. They do have a little control over the housing market via whoever they nominated to be Fed Chairman.

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I remember that. Also, a bunch were really smug about firing people for voting for Obama. Which is funny because will Will to Work laws or whatever they're called, people can be fired for anything, but its still illegal to fire people for things like political opinions. Saying to the employee that they were fired due to downsizing, then going online and going "hahah I fired that Libtard for voting for Obummer!", that can get you in hot water.

That's not true, at least in the US. It's usually legal to fire people for their political opinions. There's a very short list of things you can't fire people for (race, sex, religion, ...), and political affiliation isn't on the list.

And Right to Works laws have nothing to do with it. Those concern whether employees can be required to join a union as a condition of their employment.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

I'm basically just using this thread as an easier to read Wikipedia so sorry

I thought that gas prices weren't really in his control? I thought they had dropped because one country was trying to force some competition out by drastically lowering their prices to the point that they couldn't compete. Am I wrong?

That's part of the point, I think; he's a Democrat and things aren't absolutely perfect so he's obviously New Hitler. But if the parties were flipped you'd hear the right singing his praises over every little thing that went even the tiniest bit right.

That or you'll hear "it isn't a good enough recovery so obvious he's a jerk that's ruining America."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I like Trump..why? Because he speaks his mind...its not scripted...not speaking from a teleprompter ...of course he could be full of it....what politician isnt...but the things hes saying he would do is exactly what most common sense having people feel too my biggest concern is his rear end kissing of Israel if hed wake up on that...id feel a lot better...show me a better person running right now that has a chance and ill consider them...every other GOP canidate wants some kind of open borders/amnesty and i say hell no to that...js

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's part of the point, I think; he's a Democrat and things aren't absolutely perfect so he's obviously New Hitler. But if the parties were flipped you'd hear the right singing his praises over every little thing that went even the tiniest bit right.

That or you'll hear "it isn't a good enough recovery so obvious he's a jerk that's ruining America."

It's like how the newly-elected Premier of Alberta is apparently ruining the economy of this province. I guess she has total power over global gas prices, and she's specifically forcing them down to ruin the economy and put all the oilfield workers out of a job.

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

It's me. I was the IoSM.

Frank Senbeans is my cousin (who I have posted before on the last thread) and I'm Mary Christmas. This is his latest post. Yes, he is a Trump supporter, why do you ask?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Baofu posted:

It's me. I was the IoSM.

Frank Senbeans is my cousin (who I have posted before on the last thread) and I'm Mary Christmas. This is his latest post. Yes, he is a Trump supporter, why do you ask?

I'm sorry your cousin is a fascist.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Telegnostic posted:

That's not true, at least in the US. It's usually legal to fire people for their political opinions. There's a very short list of things you can't fire people for (race, sex, religion, ...), and political affiliation isn't on the list.

And Right to Works laws have nothing to do with it. Those concern whether employees can be required to join a union as a condition of their employment.

I was sure i read that you cannot fire someone for voting a certain way. Maybe in certian states?

It is scummy that you can fire people because they don't like your politics though. Actually, its generally scummy that you can be fired for reasons that have nothing to do with work, or criminal activity.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Posted by someone who got divorced almost two years ago, and is currently dating someone for almost a year now. I'm sure looking up to Charlie Sheen and turning into a loving dickwad is the best course of action for having healthy relationships with people.

What else does she post?

So, not liars then?

Bonus pixels included

Yawn. She posts a lot of "I'm mentally unstable! I'm a crazy bitch!" Type stuff.

Of course there's friendzone poo poo mixed in.

Both of these were posted the same day:

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I was sure i read that you cannot fire someone for voting a certain way. Maybe in certian states?

It is scummy that you can fire people because they don't like your politics though. Actually, its generally scummy that you can be fired for reasons that have nothing to do with work, or criminal activity.

I just did a search and learned that there are in fact four states where you cannot be fired for legal, non-work-related activities, including voting. So you're right, at least for people lucky enough to live in New York, California, Colorado, or North Dakota.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

As a stand alone I think this one can be funny. It's obviously not a stand alone though.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

There's nothing that aggravates me more than the "I'm a ~CRAZY BITCH~ lolololol" type of attitude because it always reads as, "I am desperately insecure about my inability to negotiate my needs with other people so I am validating how unpleasant I am ahead of time so that you can't call me on the fact that I have the social graces of an oily earwig."

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Bottom reply is from a girl that grew up on a farm pretty much like you describe, then moved to a city at about 14.

"To us it was never a job, it was a lifestyle"

As someone who actually grew up on a family farm (I had to get up at 4 every day to help milk before school from 5th grade until I graduated) that statement is :psypop: as hell.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

She needs to work on her bahavior.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Also check out that new thread title.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

RareAcumen posted:

Also check out that new thread title.

I want Capcom to "censor" the game even more. Every time these nerds get mad, add more so called censorship. Within a month every female character will be fighting in fluffy parkas, revealing no skin or even showing more than the general shape of their bodies.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

subpar anachronism posted:

I am slowly coming to realize that my father does not understand how the government works at all. Perhaps that explains why he is so, so angry.

this is a valid meme

executive orders have no constitutional backing

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I want Capcom to "censor" the game even more. Every time these nerds get mad, add more so called censorship. Within a month every female character will be fighting in fluffy parkas, revealing no skin or even showing more than the general shape of their bodies.

Out of curiosity: is it because of their overblown reactions or is it because it really is showing an unnecessary amount of skin?
They are both perfectly valid positions, I'm just curious.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I'm not sure what the exact reasoning was, but it was definitely Capcom's own decision to do it. It's not because of one group complaining or anything of the sort you might hear about.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I think capcom just doesn't understand what kind of Critical Art animation that buttslap is. It's the Citizen Kane of video games.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

paradoxGentleman posted:

Out of curiosity: is it because of their overblown reactions or is it because it really is showing an unnecessary amount of skin?

Mika isn't showing anymore skin than Cammie but, she never slapped her rear end in combat either, I suspect Capcom doesn't want to be tarred with the same brush as Dead or Alive, which has done this kind of thing for years.

Comedy Option: M Bison should slap his rear end in combat, at the player.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Artist's rendition of the sexiest female character after the Street Fighter V SJW takeover

paradoxGentleman posted:

Butts are very lewd and Capcom doesn't want to get into an uncomfortable situation where they end up making less money because the game is too risque.

:nws:This certainly wasn't helping.:nws:

Nuebot posted:

I think capcom just doesn't understand what kind of Critical Art animation that buttslap is. It's the Citizen Kane of video games.

I don't play fighting games so I wasn't going to get it. I think it's kind of a shame though. RIP self-spank. If you're gonna change stuff it should at least not look like the camera glitched out IMO

Judge Tesla posted:

Comedy Option: M Bison should slap his rear end in combat, at the player.

A lot of problems would be solved by making sure every non-unsettling humanoid character has a beautiful rear end.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Every character in every video game should just be a giant, beautifully sculpted rear end walking around on a pair of legs

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

goose fleet posted:

Every character in every video game should just be a giant, beautifully sculpted rear end walking around on a pair of legs

Bum Fights.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

goose fleet posted:

rear end and legs are the only two things that matter anyways. :colbert:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

:vince:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

goose fleet posted:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

Artist's rendition of the sexiest female character after the Street Fighter V SJW takeover

What does the soul of a young boy who's trapped inside a suit of armor even need with a loincloth, anyway

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Telegnostic posted:

I just did a search and learned that there are in fact four states where you cannot be fired for legal, non-work-related activities, including voting. So you're right, at least for people lucky enough to live in New York, California, Colorado, or North Dakota.

Wow

America sucks, huh. Out here the employer would get his arse dragged through the entire legal system if there's even a shred of doubt that the employee was fired for political reasons.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Telegnostic posted:

Eh, that just means that in those states, jerk employers just put "not a good fit" or some other innocuous reason on the form instead of "voted for that LIEberal Hussein Obummer" as the reason for termination.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Speaking of folks angry about nerd stuff:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

paradoxGentleman posted:

I love how it keeps being confirmed that treating women like people and being a nerd are mutually exclusive.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

WaltherFeng posted:

Wow

America sucks, huh. Out here the employer would get his arse dragged through the entire legal system if there's even a shred of doubt that the employee was fired for political reasons.

At Will Employment because freedom! :911:

One of the issues is that a lot of states have it set up so an employer can legally fire somebody for no reason whatsoever or for any reason so long as it isn't one of the ones that's explicitly outlined. All an employer really has to do is say "I just didn't like the guy" and it's fine. You can make up bullshit reasons with no backing like "he wasn't productive enough" or whatever. As long as an employer isn't caught saying "fired for being gay" or whatever it's completely legal.

Then you have to actually prove it which may very well involve a court battle that the newly unemployed person may not be able to afford.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I think nerds need to realize that all feminism is at its core is treating women like people. So when you have a cool and interesting female protagonist, it makes an awesome story for comic book fans and is feminist.

Picnic Princess posted:

I love how it keeps being confirmed that treating women like people and being a nerd are mutually exclusive.

Nerds are mad at feminism because it challenges patriarchal values of masculinity, and they claim it shames them for being horny or whatever, but then they're also mad at the world because they can't fulfill those same patriarchal values of getting laid. I can't wrap my head around why they don't just make the connection that a system of values that doesn't shame them for not getting laid is in their own self-interest, but people have always gone against their own self-interest in favor of the hope that they will one day be whoever the current culture idolizes.

Anyway, for content:

the final results are in and 8,000 people will never play Undertale now, because it ruined their nostalgia. That's enough people to form a small island colony. That's a lot of bitter manchildren. Also, it's noteworthy that more people in this poll will never play Undertale than had played Undertale prior to the contest, which is sure to add even more fuel to the conspiracies and keep the nerd drama appetite sated for some time to come.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

paradoxGentleman posted:

How is Jessica Jones about nerds beyond the fact that it's Marvel though? loving feminists, trying to enjoy a show with several multifaceted female characters that relate to each other independently of men. Why can't you let us nerds have anything??? *waits in mile long line with a thousand other people to see Star Wars*

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

At Will Employment because freedom! :911:

One of the issues is that a lot of states have it set up so an employer can legally fire somebody for no reason whatsoever or for any reason so long as it isn't one of the ones that's explicitly outlined. All an employer really has to do is say "I just didn't like the guy" and it's fine. You can make up bullshit reasons with no backing like "he wasn't productive enough" or whatever. As long as an employer isn't caught saying "fired for being gay" or whatever it's completely legal.

Then you have to actually prove it which may very well involve a court battle that the newly unemployed person may not be able to afford.

At Will employment can be both good and bad. In my experience, the more job protections you have, the worse you're treated by your employer. I'm a straight White guy, so I don't have the same life experiences as a minority class - but I got treated the worst working in an union job and treated the best as a non-benefited contractor who could be fired at any time.

Again - White guy here. Benefited class. Privileged all the way. It's probably different if you're gay, Black, Muslim, with a work visa from Syria, or a Bingo card combination of all 4.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
"Look, at-will employment works just as much for me, your boss, as it does for you, my employee. Yes, I can technically let you go without cause at any time, but you have the freedom to leave at any time! Isn't that great? Just make sure you give notice and continue working for at least two weeks after you do so or I'll make sure you're unemployable in this town!"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Ok question: is there any truth to the "nerds used to get picked on before nerd stuff got cool" narrative? I've seen it brought up in a couple of places, but I have never experienced it so I am not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Cosima posted:

How is Jessica Jones about nerds beyond the fact that it's Marvel though? loving feminists, trying to enjoy a show with several multifaceted female characters that relate to each other independently of men. Why can't you let us nerds have anything??? *waits in mile long line with a thousand other people to see Star Wars*

A Star Wars with a WOMAN and a BLACK in prominent roles! :argh:

ETA:

paradoxGentleman posted:

Ok question: is there any truth to the "nerds used to get picked on before nerd stuff got cool" narrative? I've seen it brought up in a couple of places, but I have never experienced it so I am not sure.

Eh, I got picked on a bit for being possibly the most awkward human being, but I don't think any of it was because of nerd poo poo. It's probably mostly just coincidence being taken as causality, because a lot of nerds turn to nerd poo poo as a security blanket from the harsh world of "I don't understand socialization and I'm too anxious/dumb to learn it."

Not that like being picked on is cool, but all the cases I've seen have been because of the victim being super awkward more than their preferences in entertainment. (Acting like Nerd Franchise #175 is morally superior to Sportsball or Popular Mainstream Show probably contributes a lot as well.)

Puppy Time has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Dec 18, 2015