Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Just saw it. The theater was an experience. The film was beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
The inclusion of David Cross's character lamenting his exhaustion was a bit much to include, but good to finally hear the titular line.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Frackie Robinson posted:

I've never once seen people clap at a movie theater.

You must not go to many special events or opening weekends.

If you're going on a Tuesday matinee showing, yeah, you're not gonna have too many super fans in the audience.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Well, I saw it. It was pretty good. The constant thematic references to the original trilogy were a bit much. For reference, I'm not a superfan but I am a fan. Yet there's only so much pandering I can take. The ending shot in particular I'd call masturbatory if it wasn't really jacking off the viewer instead.

I felt like they blew their load a little too early making Rey look powerful relative to Kylo Ren, which diminished his threat for the future movies.

A few things didn't make sense to me, like how Mazatha's bar/sanctuary didn't have any other ships around it, like no parking space. I don't know why I'm so stuck on that but it would have been a good visual indicator that it's inhabited, and by whom, that they whiffed for no reason.

It was also hard to track the motivations of the characters around that part of the movie, like the whole thing felt stalled, but that might have been my fault.

It was weird that Han Solo didn't have a funeral. Maybe there'll be one later since the end of the movie spanned too short a period of time to hold one.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jealous Cow posted:

My audience literally laughed at Adam Driver when he delivered his first line after taking off the mask. His hair is loving ridiculous, he looks like a blend of the Sheriff of Nottingham from Men in Tights and Price Charming from Shrek.

It felt too much like watching Girls.

That being said, I think that may have been intentional after reading everyone else's thoughts on Ren as a character.

He's also incredibly ugly, and not in a threatening way. That goes along with his defeats/tantrums to make him a lot less threatening than Darth Vader was. Maybe that's the point? I dunno.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
This is the funniest, most fun, and most action packed Star Wars movie. Even if it's not a perfect movie, if the least I could say is that I had a ton of fun watching it, it's more than worthy in my book.

Rey is so loving awesome. Daisy Ridley knocked it out of the park. The moment when her and Kylo Ren both go for the lightsaber just had me giddy as gently caress.

Also, I could see the Kylo kills Han thing coming as soon as Han walks onto the bridge, but holy poo poo did that scene still have me on the edge of my seat.

I wasn't bothered by any of the callbacks or repeated plot points. Everything was different enough that it still felt new and different.

All in all, Rey, Finn and Kylo Ren are awesome and really leave the franchise in capable hands. Like any Abrams film, this one asks more questions than it answers but knowing those answers will come now that the baton has been passed makes me not only confident, but excited for episodes 8 & 9.

Also, BB-8 rocks.

If you're worried about this movie, stop worrying. There's like a 0% chance you will hate it.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Just got out of the theater. That was really good! Much better than the prequels. People clapped at the beginning and end. :v:

It felt a bit rushed though. Like the laser kills the Senate and no one really cares.

That was just some random backwater place, not what you think it was.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Well hey star war thread. Been a long time.

My theater blew but the movie was good.

It's like a great experience wrapped in a terrible one.

I think I probably should drink or something

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I think it's loving appalling that FYAD has that forum title. I never really gave it much credit to it, but after seeing that movie that title shouldn't be there.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I still think Rey is Luke's daughter.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't forget what website you're posting on.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

On second thought, they had to be making Kylo Ren pathetic on purpose. So it was wrongheaded of me to criticize that (but it does mean we need a bigger badder villain besides Snoke)

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Zotix posted:

I think it's loving appalling that FYAD has that forum title. I never really gave it much credit to it, but after seeing that movie that title shouldn't be there.

A dead forum going out on one last edgelord hurrah? On Something Awful?

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Kylo Ren is a cosplaying Vader fanboy that thinks everything old school is better, to the point that he kills all the new Jedi Luke was training . When Han Solo confronts him, telling him to take off the silly costume and please come home, he goes "gently caress you, dad" and kills Han . He's like the worst type of nerd taken to its extreme.

Interestingly, Kylo barely mentions his mother in the movie and then he penerates his father.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

FallenGod posted:

A dead forum going out on one last edgelord hurrah? On Something Awful?

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

I guess it means I have to stop reading SA like a few months before Ep VIII comes out or something

it's really really loving stupid

vvvv no YOURE a mutually beneficial arrangement

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I disagree. That would be a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Kylo Ren is a cosplaying Vader fanboy that thinks everything old school is better, to the point that he kills all the new Jedi Luke was training . When Han Solo confronts him, telling him to take off the silly costume and please come home, he goes "gently caress you, dad" and kills Han . He's like the worst type of nerd taken to its extreme.

Interestingly, Kylo barely mentions his mother in the movie and then he penerates his father.

Well, I'm definitely on Something Awful right now.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
FYAD isn't a spoiler as Lucas revealed that years ago, noted in one of the greatest CD posts of all time.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Zoran posted:

I still think Rey is Luke's daughter.

This is probably a good guess. I won't even be mad or let down if it's true, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if they went in another direction. I find myself wanting to learn the most about Rey and who she really is, who her parents are, and what exactly she's capable of/how powerful she is.

I'm also just in love with the fact that all of the marketing for this film pointed towards Finn being the "new Jedi" when it was actually Rey.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Jewel Repetition posted:

On second thought, they had to be making Kylo Ren pathetic on purpose. So it was wrongheaded of me to criticize that (but it does mean we need a bigger badder villain besides Snoke)

Snoke also has a line at the end telling General Hux to retrieve Kylo Ren so he can complete his training, which would point to him possibly being much more powerful in the second and third films.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Mahoning posted:

This is probably a good guess. I won't even be mad or let down if it's true, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if they went in another direction. I find myself wanting to learn the most about Rey and who she really is, who her parents are, and what exactly she's capable of/how powerful she is.

I think it would be in super-bad taste because it's so obvious, that's too many family reveal twists, and we seriously don't need that level of OT echoing/rhyming.

Mahoning posted:

I'm also just in love with the fact that all of the marketing for this film pointed towards Finn being the "new Jedi" when it was actually Rey.

Agree 100%.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Mahoning posted:

Snoke also has a line at the end telling General Hux to retrieve Kylo Ren so he can complete his training, which would point to him possibly being much more powerful in the second and third films.

Good point. Although one problem I still have with Rey beating Kylo is that the dark side of the force is supposed to be more powerful than the light side (at least in combat, but also in general). That's why it's so seductive and why it's meaningful not to use it.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Jealous Cow posted:

My audience literally laughed at Adam Driver when he delivered his first line after taking off the mask. His hair is loving ridiculous, he looks like a blend of the Sheriff of Nottingham from Men in Tights and Price Charming from Shrek.

It felt too much like watching Girls.

That being said, I think that may have been intentional after reading everyone else's thoughts on Ren as a character.

After immediately having a trilogy with Anakin being an angsty ineffective young adult, it felt annoying to have yet another angsty ineffective young adult antagonist. They should have waited until the confrontation with Han to pull off the helmet. He reveals himself to Rey, fails at manipulating her, then immediately lets her escape, and that results in Kylo coming off as a joke.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

Good point. Although one problem I still have with Rey beating Kylo is that the dark side of the force is supposed to be more powerful than the light side (at least in combat, but also in general). That's why it's so seductive and why it's meaningful not to use it.

No, it is not.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bran Loghair posted:

That was just some random backwater place, not what you think it was.

Oh, didn't they say they were blowing up the Senate and the New Republic? Or was that just the first location on the list of things to explode?

Also why is the New Republic funding a space fleet (which got exploded when those planets did) and the Resistance? Is it not at war with the First Order? Are they actually fooling anyone by secretly funding them?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Secht posted:

Just came out of it. I want to love it, but I don't. It feels hollow and a retread of something we've already had. It's Star Wars, not sure what I was really expecting. Props to those who like it. It was a nice looking movie and better than what we've had. Just eh...

This sums up how I feel about it. I definitely liked parts of it, like Rey and Finn, but it felt like it was just checking off boxes. This is also the first time I wish a Star Wars movie had just a little more politicking going on. I have little to no idea how the First Order or Republic even operate.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Jewel Repetition posted:

I think it would be in super-bad taste because it's so obvious, that's too many family reveal twists, and we seriously don't need that level of OT echoing/rhyming.

If you're not a fan of rhyming, i have bad news with regard to the Star Wars Cinematic Universe.

Cat4Tumbleweed
Sep 26, 2015
As someone who's planning on seeing the movie tomorrow night, reading this thread is like walking through a minefield.

Anyways, I just have one question for the people who have seen the movie. How is Kylo Ren as a villain? Do you guys think he's good enough to be the main villain for the whole trilogy? I'm asking because he seemed like a typical, boring, edgy Grimdark villain in the trailers. I wasn't really interested in him. I'm really hoping that my first impressions are wrong and that he's an interesting bad dude.

Kylo Ren is probably my #1 concern going into this. I just want my worries to be confirmed or denied so I can set my expectations accordingly.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

I suppose that's actually my biggest issue with the film: we know nothing about Snoke, and Kylo ends up pathetic. There's no character who really feels like a truly dangerous threat that Luke couldn't show up and dispose of.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh, didn't they say they were blowing up the Senate and the New Republic? Or was that just the first location on the list of things to explode?

Also why is the New Republic funding a space fleet (which got exploded when those planets did) and the Resistance? Is it not at war with the First Order? Are they actually fooling anyone by secretly funding them?

They mention the name of the system that got blown up, it wasn't Coruscant and didn't look like it. The Republic fleet wasn't there either. It was just a display of power and a test of the weapon like with Leia's planet in ANH. They'll probably show more of the actual Republic later on but I'd assume the First Order is out in a region of space that might have once been a part of the Empire but has yet to reestablish itself with the new Republic so the Republic doesn't have much of a foot to stand on showing up with their whole fleet out in star systems that don't recognize them officially yet.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Atoramos posted:

I suppose that's actually my biggest issue with the film: we know nothing about Snoke, and Kylo ends up pathetic. There's no character who really feels like a truly dangerous threat that Luke couldn't show up and dispose of.

The rest of the First Order?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Zoran posted:

No, it is not.

It's definitely implied in the OT. Otherwise why would the dark side be seductive and obsessed with power? Why would anyone go to the dark side at all?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Movie was fantastic, my only real complaint were the conveniences of Han and Chewie showing up immediately (I mean, I get that they would rush over to hijack the Falcon as soon as the beacon activated or whatever but there really needed to be a bit of breathing room) and R2D2 reactivating right at the end (though their are two reasonable explanations that I've seen--one is that Luke didn't want to risk Han tracking down Luke because Kylo was probably monitoring Han through the Force but that risk was gone after his death; the other is that BB-8 was all "drat Rai is a super badass Jedi and she needs to get trained by Luke stat" (but, y'know, worded better))

Oh yeah, one other minor nitpick: while it's great how the ads were misleading about who the Force user was, I wish they'd also been misleading about Finn's Stormtrooper origins--the lone Stormtrooper reacting to the other one getting shot was such an amazing "wait, hold on a sec" moment but it would have been even more amazing if we didn't basically know ahead of time that it was Finn. Again, though, I'm nitpicking, and it was still a great reminder that while TFA was definitely Star Wars, it's not exactly the same Star Wars we're used to.

Finally, Kylo essentially being the Anakin we wanted all along was fantastic.

9/10 movie, 10/10 mystical space wizard movie.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bran Loghair posted:

They mention the name of the system that got blown up, it wasn't Coruscant and didn't look like it. The Republic fleet wasn't there either. It was just a display of power and a test of the weapon like with Leia's planet in ANH. They'll probably show more of the actual Republic later on but I'd assume the First Order is out in a region of space that might have once been a part of the Empire but has yet to reestablish itself with the new Republic so the Republic doesn't have much of a foot to stand on showing up with their whole fleet out in star systems that don't recognize them officially yet.

Oh gotcha, I misunderstood what Space Turbohitler was saying. There was definitely a line in there about how their fleet exploded and thus couldn't help out though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cat4Tumbleweed posted:

As someone who's planning on seeing the movie tomorrow night, reading this thread is like walking through a minefield.

Anyways, I just have one question for the people who have seen the movie. How is Kylo Ren as a villain? Do you guys think he's good enough to be the main villain for the whole trilogy? I'm asking because he seemed like a typical, boring, edgy Grimdark villain in the trailers. I wasn't really interested in him. I'm really hoping that my first impressions are wrong and that he's an interesting bad dude.

Kylo Ren is probably my #1 concern going into this. I just want my worries to be confirmed or denied so I can set my expectations accordingly.

He is an excellent villain.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

It's definitely implied in the OT. Otherwise why would the dark side be seductive and obsessed with power? Why would anyone go to the dark side at all?

Luke: Vader... Is the dark side stronger?
Yoda: No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.

Also, Yoda holds his own against dark powers in the prequels.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Zotix posted:

The rest of the First Order?

I mean sure, the Empire is a general threat but Vader felt dangerous from first sight, and we've been dealing with angsty youth for the entirety of the prequels. The sith in the prequels were quickly disposed of and never well realized. A respectable villain would have been great, but even Phasma ends up in the trash chute.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Cat4Tumbleweed posted:

I wouldn't worry too much. He's not as badass as Vader, but he is a lot more unhinged and has a ton more character development than Vader did in ANH.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

CJ posted:

If you're not a fan of rhyming, i have bad news with regard to the Star Wars Cinematic Universe.

I am a fan of rhyming, it's just that there can be too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Cat4Tumbleweed posted:

Anyways, I just have one question for the people who have seen the movie. How is Kylo Ren as a villain? Do you guys think he's good enough to be the main villain for the whole trilogy?

Maybe, it really depends where they go with it in Episode VIII.

• Locked thread