Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I am not a book posted:

So basically, Sanders campaign doesn't have access to any voter data except the paper copies that their field managers have scattered around their offices.

Yea and most importantly they have no way to pool data other than calling Bill The Dude Who's Probably Already Overworked In The Next City and hoping his poo poo is up to date (Spoiler it probably isn't)

It's not that huge of a thing, this is gonna be A Thing but the DNC has been very clear this isn't a criminal thing so they just have to endure the audit. It's gonna be a big hit but not much more than, ya know, being massively behind in basically every poll but NH I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

He's only down 11 points in Iowa! He's catching on!!!

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

The Bernout thread is already in unskewed polls territory anyway, this is just going to pull forward some of the inevitable meltdowns

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Basically yea, the fact that he's down is why this is a fairly bad thing even if the audit goes smoothly. When you're already behind and need to focus on gaining ground, suddenly having the big tool you use to compile data and pool together all your spread apart workers' stuff taken away means gaining ground becomes nearly impossible versus someone who still has access to it. His best case scenario is a triage that ends up with only a couple points shifted.

The article was a bit too doom and gloom to act like Bernie might as well pack it in now, but this is something that is a very bad thing to happen to a campaign even in the best situations.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

I am not a book posted:

So basically, Sanders campaign doesn't have access to any voter data except the paper copies that their field managers have scattered around their offices.

Or finance.

And yeah, pretty much.

This is loving amazing.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yes.

In Blaine, Minnesota, a high school's winter choir concert is going to include a Ramadan song in Arabic. The concert also includes Christian hymns, Jewish songs, and a rousing chorus of Hallelujah. Singing such an Islamic song would be "insensitive" or "promoting a religion of hatred" depending on who you ask and so it has been made optional if a student is uncomfortable. People are still mega-pissed though.

That is in Good Ol' Michele Bachmans old district.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota%27s_6th_congressional_district

People need to read the fuckin' comments on the WCCO webpage. They are amazing.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I am fully expecting people to pin this campaign data lockout on Clinton's tricky lying ways after Sanders loses.

She was feeling the Bern and she used underhanded tricks to stop us! :shillary: :argh:

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

The Bernstoßlegende you might say

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gail Wynand posted:

The Bernout thread is already in unskewed polls territory anyway, this is just going to pull forward some of the inevitable meltdowns

It's kinda depressing that people are acting like the campaign saying they didn't use it means the audit will be over fast.

Like, it's either some crazy cult of personality posting or people genuinely thinking that an audit works on an honor system.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's kinda depressing that people are acting like the campaign saying they didn't use it means the audit will be over fast.

Like, it's either some crazy cult of personality posting or people genuinely thinking that an audit works on an honor system.
Not really all that surprising that people don't understand what an audit is, especially Bernie supporters who lets just say aren't known for their business expertise and acumen

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gail Wynand posted:

Not really all that surprising that people don't understand what an audit is, especially Bernie supporters who lets just say aren't known for their business expertise and acumen

An audit is the time where you sweat your rear end off hoping to god that nobody finds anything.

It is a long, arduous process, made worse by all the red flags which have a tendancy to repeatedly pop up.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Never trust the party.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

McDowell posted:

Never trust the party.

Always trust the party to never pass up a good opportunity to ratfuck another Democrat.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Not to rain on the Bernie haters parade but the version from a non lovely news org mentions nothing about an 'audit' (and neither does the buzzfeed article tbf)

wapo posted:

The DNC has told the Sanders campaign that it will not be allowed access to the data again until it provides an explanation as well as assurances that all Clinton data has been destroyed.

So at some point in the morning someone will call the DNC, formally blame the dumb subcontractor and pinky promise they deleted everything.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If this entire thing is solved by someone calling the DNC and saying 'nah it's gone' then no one can ever pretend Bernie wasn't secretly somehow the party favorite because that's not how that works for anyone.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Tatum Girlparts posted:

If this entire thing is solved by someone calling the DNC and saying 'nah it's gone' then no one can ever pretend Bernie wasn't secretly somehow the party favorite because that's not how that works for anyone.

Mind sharing your source of how the DNC handles something like this then?

E:vvv I dunno if you'll catch it here but I kinda responded to your point in the rsf Bernie thread since we're having the same discussion across 2 threads lol

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 18, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Mind sharing your source of how the DNC handles something like this then?

I mean, the entire purpose of an audit is to check the records and files and poo poo to be sure everything's kosher. Wouldn't it be pretty rear end backwards to remove punishment on a pure 'nah, we're good' honor code and THEN do the audit? What would they be auditing, then, if the ethical issue has already been cleared?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You get it; I get it; Raskolnikov has never had to deal with the DNC before. gently caress the DNC because gently caress DWS.

If you think DWS is going to pass up an opportunity to make herself look good to Hillary, think again.

How can the Sanders' campaign prove it deleted the data and made no local backups? It can't, really, so keep that access cut off until the audit is completed just to be safe.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
This stinks of DNC fuckery to me, not that it's really necessary since Bernmentum tanked months ago

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

This stinks of DNC fuckery to me, not that it's really necessary since Bernmentum tanked months ago

Bingo! You can always trust the DNC to never pass up an opportunity to ratfuck another Democrat.

It's magical, it feels like christmas came early.

And the best part? Sanders' campaign brought this upon themselves.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm not happy agreeing with MIGF but aside from the kinda weird glee he's having to basically tell people there's no Santa he's not wrong that dealing with any political party on the national level is a slow, cumbersome, process that even when you're getting something good takes forever and is constantly shifted off to less and less helpful people.

Like, no poo poo Intern Gary isn't gonna be the head of the Sanders Probe but this is a way bigger process than 'yea get me DWS, hey Deb, we're cool. Ok great thanks.'

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JT Jag posted:

Eh, NGP VAN is all about merging data so I'd lean incompetence over malice until some better evidence shows up.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Maybe if Bernie had done anything with his time in congress other than piss off his colleagues he would have gotten this fixed with a phone call before it hit the media

Just sayin

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

Eh, NGP VAN is all about merging data so I'd lean incompetence over malice until some better evidence shows up.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I fully trust that it was the incompetence of NGP/VAN which allowed this data breech by the Sanders' campaign.

Now that its occured, why should DNC drop everything to restore access tomorrow? The party would be meaningless without processes to cover your rear end by going very, very slowly on things.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gail Wynand posted:

Maybe if Bernie had done anything with his time in congress other than piss off his colleagues he would have gotten this fixed with a phone call before it hit the media

Just sayin

So much of a maverick he can't even make an investigation on himself go smoothly! This is good for Berncoin!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So much of a maverick he can't even make an investigation on himself go smoothly! This is good for Berncoin!

It would be really funny if the NGP/VAN audit turns up any previous incidents of data access, especially as the Sanders campaign has admitted to having previous access to other campaigns' data.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Saw this earlier, forgot to reply.

I know the reaction is over the top, but the way the teacher went about this was really stupid. It wasn't simple calligraphy, it was calligraphy of the Shahada, which by its very definition is testimony, a statement of faith.

I'd be upset with that as much as the teacher asking students draw pictures of the stations of the cross while reciting Matthew 6:9.

How hard is it to loving just teach the historical context of the world's religions?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

I just realized that Martin Shkreli could be the next Jordan Belfort.

Zero chance. Belfort took advantage of rich people (mostly). Shrekeli took advantage of sick poor people.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Muscle Tracer posted:

apparently glenn beck denounced trump

i never thought i'd be happy about a sentence containing the words "glenn beck"

What, did you never imagine Glenn Beck becoming the most handsome man on television?

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Saw this earlier, forgot to reply.

I know the reaction is over the top, but the way the teacher went about this was really stupid. It wasn't simple calligraphy, it was calligraphy of the Shahada, which by its very definition is testimony, a statement of faith.

I'd be upset with that as much as the teacher asking students draw pictures of the stations of the cross while reciting Matthew 6:9.

How hard is it to loving just teach the historical context of the world's religions?

It was a geography class, and part of the curriculum required teaching the language and religion of each country that they covered. The teacher wanted to show that Islamic calligraphy was a complicated and important form of art. The overwhelming majority of Islamic calligraphy is religious, just as the overwhelming majority of European Renaissance paintings are religious.

This should be about as controversial as discussing the stations of the cross when teaching about the Via Crucis festival in Rome.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

It wasn't simple calligraphy

Well, you can't really divorce Arabic calligraphy from Islam any more than you can divorce Gregorian chant from Catholicism. Beyond that, teaching about calligraphy is perfectly sensible in a unit that is trying to teach the art and language associated with a religion, and it also makes plenty of sense to present something as fundamental as the Islamic creed.

To be fair, I don't really get why students were asked to reproduce it, because yeah, it's not all that different from making kids recite the Lord's Prayer in a lesson on Christianity. It's not like anyone is going to do a particularly good job, and I'm not sure it gets the point across as well as just showing several ways to represent the same verse.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

If drawing a picture of calligraphy, because seriously they can't loving write it or know what it says, can convert you to Islam in the eyes of those people then they think Islam is basically magic and symbols can control people's minds. That's telling and somehow makes perfect sense.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

To be fair, I don't really get why students were asked to reproduce it, because yeah, it's not all that different from making kids recite the Lord's Prayer in a lesson on Christianity. It's not like anyone is going to do a particularly good job, and I'm not sure it gets the point across as well as just showing several ways to represent the same verse.

Or, just throwing this out there, maybe the teacher thought having the kids do something more fun and involved than just staring at scribbles while being lectured to was better.

What I don't understand is did the teacher create this worksheet or just snag it from some workbook?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Martin Shkreli made other rich people mad. That is why he will be given to us as a sacrificial lamb.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

It's certainly not the first time they've pushed a bad patch live. Not even this year.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

the_paradigm_shift posted:

Or, just throwing this out there, maybe the teacher thought having the kids do something more fun and involved than just staring at scribbles while being lectured to was better.

What I don't understand is did the teacher create this worksheet or just snag it from some workbook?

I did the same thing in a religion class in high school. Could have been a different message in Arabic but still come the gently caress on America.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Xae posted:

That is in Good Ol' Michele Bachmans old district.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota%27s_6th_congressional_district

People need to read the fuckin' comments on the WCCO webpage. They are amazing.

I read the comments. And amazing is not the word I would use. :gonk:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Slaan posted:

I read the comments. And amazing is not the word I would use. :gonk:

Then again, there is this gem:

Mr. Truth posted:

THE FOUL SATANIC BLACK MUSLIM MARXIST DOG-EATING HOMOSEXUAL TRAITOR OBAMA SAID: "The Arabic Call to Prayer is the most beautiful sound on Earth", He also said: "Should the political winds shift in an ugly direction I will stand with the Muslims", He also said: "The Future Must Not Belong To Those Who Slander The Prophet Of Islam!" .. and by his celebrating Ramadan in the White House, by his 2009 speech in Cairo praising Islam, by his failure to visit Israel while visiting Muslim countries in the region, by his call to go back to the pre 1967 war borders, by his giving the Muslim Brotherhood and their auxiliaries entrance to the White House, the State Department and even the military, by his deep bowing to the Saudi King while snubbing the Prime Minister of Israel - By each of these things Obama's calling is plainly revealed. HE IS A FOUL EVIL SERVANT OF SATAN AND A FILTHY MUSLIM TRAITOR!!!

Quote isn't edit :(

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Obama's SOTU address is going to be the declaring of the war on vague unease from the piece below

quote:

12:05 PM eastern standard time, the Muslims have vanished. Check for yourself if you don’t believe me. Where have they gone to?

There is speculation, of course. Scientists mention a cosmic storm that passed the Earth on January 20. A man says they are all in caves. Certain groups lament a faulty Rapture. A woman says he has taken their power and absorbed it into himself. She means Barack Obama. I doubt it, but he does seem somehow taller. The ground rumbles at times. The breaking news says WASHINGTON DC, with red concentric circles. I’m uneasy, but what can we do? Terror is defeated and if Obama were a Muslim, he’d be just as gone as them. There’s no cause for alarm.

Within months, Barack Obama has declared a war on vague unease. It’s a good idea, because frankly we could all use some peace of mind. Approval rating is higher than ever now that the Muslims had left, but I don’t think we are happy yet. His eyes are shining sometimes, as a deer’s eyes shine in a flashlight beam. Small fissures criss-cross the pavement. Trees are swaying, but the breeze is gone. Something is changing in our world.

Aeroplanes don’t exist anymore. Scientists explain that the density of the air is too low to support their wings. Then how do we breathe?! We should have died by now, but I think we are evolving. Our bodies haven’t changed, but the atmosphere..

One man says it was the rapture after all, and we have since entered the Kingdom of God. Barack is now the size of an oak tree. He sleeps outside since the rains have ceased, and his skin is thick to bullets. Now he wanders through he countryside impassively. He ignores a rural photo-op. He studies a leaf for twenty days. Only a fool would call this Heaven.

Satellites fall to earth like rain used to. No friction burns them away, so we trudge past countless flecks of solar panel and ribbons of golden cloth. It’s a silent car crash every few hours, though cars themselves no longer run. No oxygen remains to ignite their fuel. Obama strides across the landscape, taller than the Freedom Tower. We’ve given up on assassination; all men are immortal now, and guns no longer fire.

I’m starting to wish the Muslims were back.

We found them with a telescope. Images of a colony on the right side of the moon. See the parts that jut from the lower right? I think they’re mosques. Soon they are visible to the naked eye, but how? Their cities are enormous. We watch them as they live and die. They have our former atmosphere; the moon is fringed with blue. “Look at how they wield their guns,” writes a man. “I always said he’d take our guns away.” They eat and sleep like we once did, building worthless ziggurats. We have everything we wanted, but oh how we envy their strife!

It’s long been clear that Obama brought this uncomfortable perfection upon us, but I can’t bring myself to blame him for it. He’s reminded us all of how our lives had been discarded out of fear. I know now why he grows each day. In time, when we are ready he will reach out into space. He will raise us up in his great hand, to this new Earth that gleams like a frozen star. And if Obama does not carry us, we can climb…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

GalacticAcid posted:

article. Sorry it's Buzzfeed.

There's nothing wrong with posting buzzfeed FYI, their journalism is better than average now

• Locked thread