Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Cars? Cars?? Oh no, oh-. . . What, what. . . What year is it? *runs hands through hair* oh no, oh no oh no. Cars. It's too late. Oh no. I said, I said. . . I said, what YEAR IS IT???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
GREAT SCOTT!

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Guess what's back

http://www.retrovgs.com/

Now called the COLECO CHAMELEON :laffo:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Are they allowed to call it that?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

XYZ posted:

Guess what's back

Coleco Coleco Coleco Coleco Coleco Chameleon

It comes and goes

It comes and goes

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Otisburg posted:

who wears a watch anymore?

I do. It feels weird not to.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

XYZ posted:

Guess what's back

I give up, what is/was that?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

TetsuoTW posted:

I give up, what is/was that?

Its a whole new retro console!! Buy REAL CARTRIDGES to play your lovely android faux retro bullshit.

Finally, the burden of digital ownership is over!!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

Its a whole new retro console!! Buy REAL CARTRIDGES to play your lovely android faux retro bullshit.

Finally, the burden of digital ownership is over!!

OK? Why was other poster so energized about it being "back"?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

TetsuoTW posted:

OK? Why was other poster so energized about it being "back"?

Because they tried before with an amazing display of incompetence.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Can someone just say what this dumb thing used to be and why we're supposed to care instead of being weirdly coy about it?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

TetsuoTW posted:

Can someone just say what this dumb thing used to be and why we're supposed to care instead of being weirdly coy about it?

the exact same loving thing it used to be with another name. It's completely useless and expects people to make cartridges for their lovely indie retro games and nobody wants it. NO UPDATES = GOOD

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't being coy. They literally tried the exact same drat thing with a different name and everything they do is amazingly incompetent.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Wait, Coleco as in ColecoVision? How does Coleco still exist?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

whyyyy are they using the atari jaguar moulds. Christ I mean colecovision nostalgia is itself a pretty uncommon thing, is there a single person alive who has fond memories of the Jaguar of all things?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

sinking belle posted:

whyyyy are they using the atari jaguar moulds. Christ I mean colecovision nostalgia is itself a pretty uncommon thing, is there a single person alive who has fond memories of the Jaguar of all things?

Jaguar molds are used to make modern dentistry equipment, iirc, so they're probably more readily available for use than molds of other old consoles.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

cyberia posted:

Jaguar molds are used to make modern dentistry equipment, iirc, so they're probably more readily available for use than molds of other old consoles.
... what?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Zereth posted:

... what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qCtiRu-G_M

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The Jaguar molds have been flying around since Atari died, since it's a hell of a lot cheaper to design your thing to fit a mold someone else made and you got for a few bucks than to get a whole new design made and molded.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

sinking belle posted:

*Ernest Cline slides up from out of a toilet like the liquid metal terminator, speaks in an inexplicable The Mask voice* Diiiiiiiiiiiid SOMEBODY say the EIGHTIES? *waggles eyebrows while chainmaille bowtie spins*

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

*Ernest Cline slides up from out of a toilet like the liquid metal terminator, speaks in an inexplicable The Mask voice* Diiiiiiiiiiiid SOMEBODY say the EIGHTIES? *waggles eyebrows while chainmaille bowtie spins*

:holymoley:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Paladinus posted:

Wait, Coleco as in ColecoVision? How does Coleco still exist?

Well it doesn't. Coleco went bankrupt and closed shop in 1988 and had all their stuff sold off. A completely unrelated company in another state was founded and bought the Coleco video gaming IP and naming rights in 2005. You know the Atari Flashback systems, those self contained systems that have like 50 Atari 2600 games and plug right into your TV? New Coleco was behind the making of a Colecovision Flashback, which was that but with like 50 Colecovision games.

As it stands, it seems like the Retro VGS people have some sort of deal going where they'll license the Coleco name to use on their dumb console, but I don't think New Coleco is involved beyond that.

sinking belle posted:

whyyyy are they using the atari jaguar moulds.

Because the morons went and dropped a few thousand bucks on buying the molds fromt he dental company, so by god they're going to use them.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
In the meantime the campaign for the impossible shoe made out of waterproof color e-ink screens reached 650k€ whitout even a prototype, proving once more (as if it was needed) that indiegogo is great way to part idiots from their money

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/shiftwear-customize-your-kicks#/

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Get back to writing MST3K.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1284726646/the-lampster-a-lamp-with-attitude

Who wants an obnoxiously large, ugly and expensive lamp? 4,218 people want one!

They had a target of $30,000 which means they were hoping to shift a couple hundred of these things at most. If they're as artisinal as they claim aren't they going to have trouble scaling up to twenty times that amount?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

In the meantime the campaign for the impossible shoe made out of waterproof color e-ink screens reached 650k€ whitout even a prototype, proving once more (as if it was needed) that indiegogo is great way to part idiots from their money

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/shiftwear-customize-your-kicks#/

Obviously this looks totally unfeasible, are there any good articles/blogs from people in the fashion/technology industry detailing exactly how unfeasible each of the promised features is in excruciating detail? I love reading that kind of poo poo

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Gilganixon posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1284726646/the-lampster-a-lamp-with-attitude

Who wants an obnoxiously large, ugly and expensive lamp? 4,218 people want one!
Why does a motorcycle headlight attached to an ugly doll get almost a million dollars?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
if you want to see me do a war crime, point me at the factory creating app-controlled light sources and give me a tank. I'll smelt the earth beneath it, I'll salt it with the blood of the guilty. I will burn ashes in the raging fire of my wounded ego. this much i will do, to stop apps. this much, and no more.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

see these were the types of kickstarters i was talking about. i'd never even try to make one because i'd never believe even a single person would buy that poo poo.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

That lamp thing is something I could see myself buying on a whim if it was both a lot cheaper and the body was posable.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Get back to writing MST3K.

I didn't know he was involved in that until this moment. What a loving bummer.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

In the old days on Comedy Central and Sci Fi channel they had a bunch of pop culture trivia books for references. Now they can just use him!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

The new MST3K is kind of a who's who of ~Nerd Culture~ and it's going to be insufferable.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I think it's going to be okay.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Cheez posted:

NO UPDATES = GOOD

Love the old FAQ.

But guys, without online patching how can bugs be fixed?

Duh, the solution is to instruct all developers to release bug free games. We have no idea why nobody else thought of this idea!!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

You know the Atari Flashback systems, those self contained systems that have like 50 Atari 2600 games and plug right into your TV?

Are these things any good?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

bongwizzard posted:

Are these things any good?

The Atari Flashback 2 is so good that they left some stuff on the board inside so that you could cut out a cartridge slot int he case and solder in a cartridge port, and play original Atari 2600 cartridges on it. It also takes the original controllers. The Atari Flashback 3 up to Atari Flashback 6 lose that cpability because they go back to full emulation, but they have progressively more games built in - the 2 has 40 games, some of which were unreleased and some are homebrew, the 3 has 60, the 5 has a full 100 games and came out in September.

So I'd recommend picking up the Atari Flashback 2 if you ever plan to buy real Atari 2600 games, or to buy that Harmony flashcart that lets you load roms for all the 2600 games onto a single cartridge. And if you just want to play about 60 of the best 2600 games and another 40 decent ones, get the latest one, the Atari Flashback 5. You can still plug in the original console controllers to it.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Or or OR, you could download Red Faction: Guerilla, and install the mod that lets you shoot miniature black holes out of the tank's chaingun, and use that to blow up prisons on Mars.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

fishmech posted:

The Atari Flashback 2 is so good that they left some stuff on the board inside so that you could cut out a cartridge slot int he case and solder in a cartridge port, and play original Atari 2600 cartridges on it. It also takes the original controllers. The Atari Flashback 3 up to Atari Flashback 6 lose that cpability because they go back to full emulation, but they have progressively more games built in - the 2 has 40 games, some of which were unreleased and some are homebrew, the 3 has 60, the 5 has a full 100 games and came out in September.

So I'd recommend picking up the Atari Flashback 2 if you ever plan to buy real Atari 2600 games, or to buy that Harmony flashcart that lets you load roms for all the 2600 games onto a single cartridge. And if you just want to play about 60 of the best 2600 games and another 40 decent ones, get the latest one, the Atari Flashback 5. You can still plug in the original console controllers to it.

I'm confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

They release new versions of the console like every 18 months when they get more game licenses. There's been 6 versions so far, and only version 2 is worth getting Vs the latest, because it's the one moddable to play real carts if you're into that. Also I lost track of the numbers at the end, there's so many of them.