Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

AFAIK the "optimal order" for absolute newbies (especially if they don't know about Vader/Luke) is 4/5 (so you get the buildup and the big reveal hits hard), then prequels for the backstory, and ROTJ last.

If you all know everything though just watch in numerical order (veggies before pudding, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Is there anyone out there in a world of information that doesn't know the Vader/Skywalker thing by now??

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The only order of viewing is 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 and ignore those lovely prequels.

And frankly, Kylo Ren is just flat out amazing. Bad rear end one minute, the next is spoiler terriory. I was actually deeply impressed with what they did with him.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

KennyLoggins posted:

Holy hell is the Commonwealth a PITA when it comes to this. During my early driving days I had quite a few failed/overdue inspections tickets, I think its worse then speeding when it comes to damage on insurance. While I do think inspections are a good idea, I've been to a few inspection stations that are shady as gently caress and are like this, this and this needs to be replaced to pass. Then you take it to another shop and nothing is said and you get your little sticker. Makes me wonder if the RMV is bothering actually go out and find the shady shops.

Before all of the electronic monitoring it was nice to give the guy $50 and get a sticker on some of my previous poo poo heaps.

The RMV is a huge pain in the rear end for the shop owners too. One year my local shop wouldn't put a sticker on my GTO because they said it was too loud, but it was the same exhaust that had been on there for the previous 2 inspections. When I talked to the owner I found out that they had passed another car with a loud exhaust and he had gotten a ticket in some sound-nazi town like Dover. He bitched to the court that it had passed inspection so he shouldn't have to pay anything, and while I don't know whether it got him out of the ticket it did get the garage a $5000 fine and the threat of having their inspection license pulled for 90 days.

Back in NY 20+ years ago we used to walk into the local garage, chat with Frank (the owner) and he'd give us the sticker to put on ourselves. Conversation mostly went like:

"You keepin' up with that?"
"Yes sir."
"Alright then. Here you go."

(to be clear, my local shop didn't fail me. they just pulled it back out and told me they couldn't pass it.)

mungtor fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 18, 2015

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Is it bad that I'm enough of a snob that I won't watch the remastered original trilogy? And as far as I'm concerned, the best way to watch the prequels is to watch the red letter media/plinkett reviews instead?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

ssjonizuka posted:

Is it bad that I'm enough of a snob that I won't watch the remastered original trilogy? And as far as I'm concerned, the best way to watch the prequels is to watch the red letter media/plinkett reviews instead?

There are "despecialized" versions of the original trilogy available. Some enterprising group of nerds took the best possible source material and combined it while removing all the special edition garbage. No more "Jedi Rocks"!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm watching the prequels with anti-cheese edits. MUCH BETTER.

They're available here on youtube: Yay less cheese!

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Gorson posted:

There are "despecialized" versions of the original trilogy available. Some enterprising group of nerds took the best possible source material and combined it while removing all the special edition garbage. No more "Jedi Rocks"!

Go ahead caller, I'm listening.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Gorson posted:

Yes watch these. It's brilliant. They even grabbed 35 and 70mm film to get it done.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Wrar posted:

Yes watch these. It's brilliant. They even grabbed 35 and 70mm film to get it done.

I just got finished watching these last night. They did an amazing job considering how many sources had to be pulled together. Great stuff and it had been so long since I had seen the unaltered original trilogy that I forgot how great they are.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

There are a couple places where there the transition between source material shows up, but it is minor. I hadn't watched the original trilogy since I had them on VHS, and oh man did watching them again bring back the love. It was like removing the turd from the bowl of delicious punch.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

corn in the fridge posted:

(⚠ lool contrarian opinion alert ⚠ close your eyes kastein)

Hi hello I think it's super dumb that you have been made to feel you need to do this here.

Kastein quit going off on corn in the fridge he's not trolling you (anymore) he just has differing opinions and an English sense of humor.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

actually (⚠ lool contrarian opinion alert ⚠ close your eyes kastein) I think the prequels are Not Bad and although the first film is fairly weak, the other two are pretty good. They do an excellent job of flushing out the much hinted at back story from the original trilogy and furthermore I always enjoyed the fact that when the first six films are taken as a whole the story shifts from being about lukes heroes journey to being about the rise and fall and eventual redemption of anakin

Actually, I generally agree with your opinion. It was cool to see the events leading up to the original trilogy. Take out the cringey love story acting, and a decent chunk of the first movie and you're left with some decent movies.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

actually (⚠ lool contrarian opinion alert ⚠ close your eyes kastein) I think the prequels are Not Bad and although the first film is fairly weak, the other two are pretty good. They do an excellent job of flushing out the much hinted at back story from the original trilogy and furthermore I always enjoyed the fact that when the first six films are taken as a whole the story shifts from being about lukes heroes journey to being about the rise and fall and eventual redemption of anakin

ban this sick filth

The original trilogy hinted about such an interesting universe and back story... And then the prequels implemented it all in the worst, most boring possible way. I think I was most disappointed by the Jedi, but the method of Anakin's fall was pretty loving bad too.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Please see the following series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPt1am18lR4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABcXyZn9xjg

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I'm not reading the thread due to fear of Star Wars spoilers, but :siren: SAAB'S BACK! :siren:

http://jalopnik.com/saab-is-apparently-not-dead-again-1748684543?rev=1450451491201

Try this link: http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/ It has all of them like right in a row, no YouTube nonsense. And yeah, watching those teaches you a lot about movies and a lot about why the prequels were so loving awful.

To be clear: anyone who liked the prequels is wrong.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

In non-Star Wars news, I actually slept 6 hours straight last night, the first time since I got this stupid pneumonia bug on Monday, and I'm definitely feeling better this morning (still sorta lovely, but better lovely), also, fever broke. So.. yay!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Well I had a lot of thinking to do and I decided that it's time to make some serious life changes. First is moving out of this house ASAP. Living with friends that drink everyday and smoke weed constantly it not going to be a good fit for me. In the words of my dad an hour ago, I am a loser and need to grow the gently caress up. So next month I will either be moving back in with my parents temporarily or start looking for a place with my GF. If I do move back in with my parents they are going to have a strict set of rules for me to follow so I don't gently caress up. No drinking. No going out on the weekends. Giving them control of my finances. Seeing a therapist weekly. Going to the gym every day. Failure to follow these rules and my pops will kick me out on my rear end. For once, I agree with him though.

On the plus side, there is an opening in my field at a college I have done a crap load of work at. I know the head of the IT department there and have family members that work there as well. Just sent in my application.

Time to sell all my coins and bullion.

Thanks for the harsh words guys, it made me mull over a lot of poo poo last night and helped in my decision to shape up and not become a bum.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Well I had a lot of thinking to do and I decided that it's time to make some serious life changes. First is moving out of this house ASAP. Living with friends that drink everyday and smoke weed constantly it not going to be a good fit for me. In the words of my dad an hour ago, I am a loser and need to grow the gently caress up. So next month I will either be moving back in with my parents temporarily or start looking for a place with my GF. If I do move back in with my parents they are going to have a strict set of rules for me to follow so I don't gently caress up. No drinking. No going out on the weekends. Giving them control of my finances. Seeing a therapist weekly. Going to the gym every day. Failure to follow these rules and my pops will kick me out on my rear end. For once, I agree with him though.

On the plus side, there is an opening in my field at a college I have done a crap load of work at. I know the head of the IT department there and have family members that work there as well. Just sent in my application.

Thanks for the harsh words guys, it made me mull over a lot of poo poo last night and helped in my decision to shape up and not become a bum.
Print this poo poo out and keep it in your wallet or whatever. Life changes like these are hard to stick with because you're running up against so much past experience and sometimes it gets difficult. Print this out and look at it every once in a while to remember how you felt when you made the decision; that'll keep you on the right track.

Go get 'em!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
A goon is getting out of the well?

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

scuz posted:

Try this link: http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/ It has all of them like right in a row, no YouTube nonsense. And yeah, watching those teaches you a lot about movies and a lot about why the prequels were so loving awful.

Lol you've got to be kidding these are unwatchable

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Enough about your posts

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

If you're some kinda putz, yeah.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Phone posted:

Can't splash people at the bottom so might as well. :haw:

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

scuz posted:

If you're some kinda putz, yeah.

?

What is a putz?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Well I had a lot of thinking to do and I decided that it's time to make some serious life changes.

Good luck, hope you see this through.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

kimbo305 posted:

I got pulled coming up to the toll station at Sturbridge to get onto the Pike. He said it was a 50 in a 40. It's not like I was gonna suddenly speed up and run the toll.

I fear driving at night with one bulb out and no front plate, but def not on the Pike.
That's like 3 miles from my house. The state police do an rear end load of stops there because they catch a bunch of drug runners doing it. Never fails to amaze me what people will do, they bagged some group of guys in a ratty rear end E series van with like 30k in cash, a couple hundred grand worth of drugs, and almost everyone in the van had a warrant out on them, all because the retards couldn't do a walkaround and make sure all their lights worked before rolling out.

I'm not saying it's right - pretense stops annoy the poo poo out of me, since all I'm ever guilty of is driving a shitcan - but the cops go for easy targets on stuff like this.

e:
http://www.telegram.com/article/20131006/NEWS/310069836&Template=printart
http://www.whdh.com/story/25782869/traffic-stop-leads-to-big-drug-bust-in-sturbridge
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.520969644653690.1073741942.218158751601449&type=3 143 loving POUNDS of weed
http://www.stonebridgepress.com/pdf/STU.2013.09.20.pdf 26 pounds of weed
http://www.mspnews.org/2014/10/two-men-arrested-mass-pike-trafficking-narcotics/

I can't find the story I was thinking of though.

Adiabatic posted:

Kastein quit going off on corn in the fridge he's not trolling you (anymore) he just has differing opinions and an English sense of humor.
I don't think he was trolling me in particular, but he, Gamma Ray, track day bro!, and that retard with the hellaflushed BMW are most definitely shitpoasting buddies, I mostly just feel like he has to be put in his place occasionally or the lot of you will fall for his schtick and start another 5 page baww-fest :v:

(but I'll back it off a notch for you)

kastein fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 18, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

?

What is a putz?

Go find the closest mirror and see what your heart truly desires

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

Hey, it eventually gets full of enough piss and he can float on out.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Phone posted:

Go find the closest mirror and see what your heart truly desires

A confident, intelligent, and attractive man with a full head of hair????

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

scuz posted:

I'm not reading the thread due to fear of Star Wars spoilers, but :siren: SAAB'S BACK! :siren:

http://jalopnik.com/saab-is-apparently-not-dead-again-1748684543?rev=1450451491201

Here is the thing, I don't care if they were exactly accurate to whatever story, ruined some part of the original trilogy that you hold sacred or were just outright wrong. All six movies have plenty of boring, terrible and awesome parts and it still doesn't take away from my enjoyment or anyone else's if they like the first three movies. The Old Republic part of the franchise was cooler anyways. gently caress your bullshit pseudo Jesus, gently caress your redemption story, gently caress your Skywalkers. Give me HK-47, some mandalorian war rejects and a G0-T0 being awesome over that anyday. :colbert:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
my favorite star wars robot is C3-H8, a torture droid

you might say he's pro pane

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Elmnt80 posted:

Here is the thing, I don't care if they were exactly accurate to whatever story, ruined some part of the original trilogy that you hold sacred or were just outright wrong. All six movies have plenty of boring, terrible and awesome parts and it still doesn't take away from my enjoyment or anyone else's if they like the first three movies. The Old Republic part of the franchise was cooler anyways. gently caress your bullshit pseudo Jesus, gently caress your redemption story, gently caress your Skywalkers. Give me HK-47, some mandalorian war rejects and a G0-T0 being awesome over that anyday. :colbert:

This is why I'm super excited for the Rogue One movie coming out next year. It "centers on a group of rebel fighters who come together to carry out the mission of stealing the plans for the Death Star."

kastein posted:

The only thing tortured is that pun.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Frankly you don't seem like a terrible dude and can probably make something of yourself if so many people are willing to hire you. Stick it out and find some reason to be successful. Trying to just be supportive but not too preachy here, but seriously find out your "why" you want something then set out to actually get it. I kind of made a breakthrough in life a little while ago where I accepted that you really can become whatever you want. I decided that I wanted to be successful in family relationships, with friends, with my profession, etc and all the sudden I found myself at a point I never imagined I could be at 30. You start to see what you can learn from others. There is a lot of truth that can be said in the phrase that if you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.

kastein posted:

groans audibly I didn't even see all of the new prequel star wars that came out. I know I saw at least one, maybe two? All I remember was there was not enough light sabers and it felt like watching C-SPAN: The Intergalactic version where not only did I not understand what was happening but could not find a way to care less about what was happening.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

ssjonizuka posted:

Go ahead caller, I'm listening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXifjbxZDAM

Harmy talks about how he made the despecialized versions and why he did it. It's amazon how he did it even if you don't agree with them. There have been a lot of errors in the previous releases.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Best SAC post ever. Good luck, SAC.

kastein posted:

I don't think he was trolling me in particular, but he, Gamma Ray, track day bro!, and that retard with the hellaflushed BMW are most definitely shitpoasting buddies, I mostly just feel like he has to be put in his place occasionally or the lot of you will fall for his schtick and start another 5 page baww-fest :v:

Be careful lumping a lot of posters together, some could stereotype NEAI in a similar light.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 18, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

My last post went into the cloud and isn't showing up. If this ends up as a couple post, I'm sorry. I wanted to edit the last post to clarify that I wasn't calling NEAI shitposters, but calling out the lumping of posters together as a bad thing.

Edit: Now the first post shows up. The cloud has some bugs to work out.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

meatpimp posted:

My last post went into the cloud and isn't showing up. If this ends up as a couple post, I'm sorry. I wanted to edit the last post to clarify that I wasn't calling NEAI shitposters, but calling out the lumping of posters together as a bad thing.

Edit: Now the first post shows up. The cloud has some bugs to work out.

I've seen this behavior in the bad ol' pre-cloud days. I think it's just php gonna php.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

The real kicker here is that my GF knows how upset I am and won't even sit thru the new Star Wars movie with me tonight even tho I already bought tickets. And I heard all 3 of my roommates making fub of me for failibg the test last night while I was laying in bed. I have never felt this alone before and no one besides my family even gives a poo poo.

Also, having met the majority of NEAI members, I can say that they are all genuinely awesome guys. Ace and Kastein put an entire suspension in ny car the first time I ever met them for Christ's sake. Good people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That was mostly Ace, I was just there to suggest ghetto ways of seating the coils on the spring perches, mock the previous owner's hackjob repair of your ABS wiring, and drink y'alls beer.

e: Safety Dance, I've seen that behavior too. Last post in a thread (sometimes not even one I wrote) sometimes won't show up until someone else adds another reply, then both show up, even though my usercp kept showing 1 unread post in the thread. :lol: radiumcode

• Locked thread