Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

JT Jag posted:

This stinks of DNC fuckery to me, not that it's really necessary since Bernmentum tanked months ago

Nah, this is legit NGP. Bernie & Hillary aren't the only ones who had their campaigns get tripped up on this, I was at a holiday party last night with some consultants and a few of them had to take calls from client campaigns dealing with this issue.

It goes to the core issue of NGP. They (and databases as a whole) are about centralizing and organizing data so as to minimize redundancies. But the campaigns are in competition so they want the data individualized and split

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Not to rain on the Bernie haters parade but the version from a non lovely news org mentions nothing about an 'audit' (and neither does the buzzfeed article tbf)

So at some point in the morning someone will call the DNC, formally blame the dumb subcontractor and pinky promise they deleted everything.

JT Jag posted:

This stinks of DNC fuckery to me, not that it's really necessary since Bernmentum tanked months ago

Actually it was Sanders national data director who wrongly accessed the data plus 3 others. Sanders campaign initially tried to play it off as "low level staffer".

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/677736055412510720

quote:

Story coming shortly, but Sanders staffer who was fired over voter file breach was their data director. & 4 usernames from campaign ran searches while the Clinton data was exposed.
NYTimes: http://www.nytimes.com/politics/fir...WT.nav=top-news

WaPo: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...f433_story.html

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's good that instead of fading away quietly after dropping out, the insane Bernie people are going to construct a lost cause narrative that they are going to bring up at every opportunity for the next ten years.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Cross posting from the primary thread: Donald Trump thinks it's OK to kill journalists and political opponents because, hey, that's what you've gotta do to be a great leader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmDtodngtQI

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

nachos posted:

There's nothing wrong with posting buzzfeed FYI, their journalism is better than average now

That's not so much a validation of buzzfeed as it is an indictment of journalism.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Joementum posted:

Cross posting from the primary thread: Donald Trump thinks it's OK to kill journalists and political opponents because, hey, that's what you've gotta do to be a great leader.

Don't think that was the right link.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Joementum posted:

Looking forward to Assad's endorsement of Trump next after Putin's.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is This The Beginning of the End For Donald Trump????

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Donald Trump's CHAOS CANDIDACY is messing up my links! Here's the spot of him praising Putin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAT61aXRid8

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Well, he's not wrong. Collateral Murder comes to mind!

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Kafka Esq. posted:

Well, he's not wrong. Collateral Murder comes to mind!

From the guy who wants to actively target families, yes, he is wrong. Please provide a better solution to eliminating terrorist leadership than targeted drone strikes if you're going to call it collateral murder.

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001

Joementum posted:

Donald Trump's CHAOS CANDIDACY is messing up my links! Here's the spot of him praising Putin.

Look Joe, our country does plenty of killing and we still don't win

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Joementum posted:

two fascists liking each other. not a surprise.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The omnibus is passing easily in the House, despite Pelosi's many warnings that she couldn't guarantee the votes. Next up: the Senate around 10:30 and then it's the holidays.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Someone check on /r/sandersforpresident, for a libertarian hellscape Reddit sure loves Bernie (because he's not Hillary) :munch:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Someone check on /r/sandersforpresident, for a libertarian hellscape Reddit sure loves Bernie (because he's not Hillary) :munch:

i have seen that too on twitter. Their are a decent amount of people on the left who think hillary is worse then any republican.(i am not exactly fond of her for various reasons) but they think sanders will somehow win the election in massive super landslide. i wish that were true. but i doubt it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PUGGERNAUT posted:

That was the first place I went. Apparently I'm not giving DWS the credit for being the Machiavellian mastermind that she is.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

zoux posted:

That was the first place I went. Apparently I'm not giving DWS the credit for being the Machiavellian mastermind that she is.

Compared to Dean she's still absolute poo poo though.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker
So after people realize Cruz is a creepy psycho, who is going to emerge as the actual Republican favorite?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
It is probably a better question to ask "Was Sander's campaign also exposed? If so did Hillary's campaign do the same thing?"

That is the only bit I could see being actually brushed under the rug.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Lol, I've used both NGP VAN extensively and actually did work for the company.

Does anyone have any more information on how Sanders was 'inadvertently' allowed access to Clinton's data? I am genuinely curious how that happened, it would almost certainly have had to come from NGP VAN themselves.

It would also be pretty obvious to the Sanders campaign that the data they had was Clinton's though. :bernin:

Galactic North
Nov 21, 2009

Devor posted:

Obama's SOTU address is going to be the declaring of the war on vague unease from the piece below

Completely off topic but that was amazing. Where the hell did that level of mindfuckery come from?

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

zoux posted:

Sanders represents my political beliefs way better than Clinton and I plan on voting for him in the primaries, but obsessive Sanders supporters are doing more harm to his campaign than good. They spam the poo poo out of every online poll and comment section and they're more obsessed with attacking Clinton than highlighting what's good about Sanders. It goes against how Sanders himself is actually handling his campaign, I think he'd be disappointed if he saw the average /r/sandersforpresident post.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

SavageBastard posted:

So after people realize Cruz is a creepy psycho, who is going to emerge as the actual Republican favorite?

Well if the SA debate thread is any indication "Literally Hitler" is next up.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

SavageBastard posted:

I'm not sure why you think being a creepy psycho is going to keep him from winning. Cruz is gonna win this primary.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of

Tennessee county up in arms about Islam indoctrination in middle school

quote:

“Williamson County parents and taxpayers have expressed concerns that some social-studies textbooks and supplemental materials in use in Tennessee classrooms contain a pro-Islamic/anti-Judeo- Christian bias,” one school-board member, Beth Burgos, wrote in a resolution. She questioned whether it’s right to test students on the tenets of Islam, along with the state and district’s learning standards related to religion. She also said the textbook should mention concepts like jihad and not portray Islam as a fundamentally peaceful religion. “How are our children to reconcile what they’re seeing happening in the Middle East when they’re not even exposed to the radical sects of Islam like ISIS?” she said at a working meeting in mid-October. (Burgos did not respond to multiple emails and phone calls requesting comment.)

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

SavageBastard posted:

I think you answered your own question

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Galactic North posted:

Completely off topic but that was amazing. Where the hell did that level of mindfuckery come from?

LF

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Mr Hootington posted:

It is probably a better question to ask "Was Sander's campaign also exposed? If so did Hillary's campaign do the same thing?"

That is the only bit I could see being actually brushed under the rug.

An audit was performed and only one campaign was found to have wrongly accessed data.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-12-18/sanders-campaign-fires-data-director-after-breach-of-clinton-files

quote:

The bug allowed users who already had access to voters’ files to search by and view—though not export, save, or act on—attributes added to those files by other campaigns. After the firm identified the bug, it began an audit and determined that "only one campaign took actions that could possibly have led to it retaining data to which it should not have had access," Trevelyan said in a statement.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

this_is_hard posted:

Lol, I've used both NGP VAN extensively and actually did work for the company.

Does anyone have any more information on how Sanders was 'inadvertently' allowed access to Clinton's data? I am genuinely curious how that happened, it would almost certainly have had to come from NGP VAN themselves.

It would also be pretty obvious to the Sanders campaign that the data they had was Clinton's though. :bernin:

Also, I just want to emphasize how monumentally hosed the Sanders campaign is without access to NGP VAN data. Any candidate, really, would be equally as hosed.

When we used it during the 2012 cycle we outfitted all of our field staff and canvassers with iPods or iPads loaded with NGP VAN. Without that data being readily available, we literally had nothing on which to go by in order to canvass. No addresses, names, anything. We could have probably accessed the data we had already canvassed, but there's only so many times you can hit up the same people before it becoming redundant. Usually you try to do a 'second pass' shortly before election day.

This includes phonebanking, demographic data, everything. You really have nothing without NGP VAN. It's actually kind of disconcerting how much the Democratic party relies solely on this one company.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Lol, they were probably viewing the data, copying it down and re-entering it as 'new' data on their end. :bravo:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

That answers that then. I hope those idiots were diehard Berners and they realize they finished off the campaign.

Well I'll still caucus for him unless it comes out he had a hand in it.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

this_is_hard posted:

You really have nothing without NGP VAN. It's actually kind of disconcerting how much the Democratic party relies solely on this one company.

Seriously, this_is_hard is spot on. The entirety of their voter data for the moment is whatever stacks of walk sheets were waiting to be entered into the VAN and thrown into the trash^W^W^W^Wsecurely destroyed at each campaign office.
On the plus side, I bet there are some IT openings at NGPVAN for people who know QA!

this_is_hard posted:

Lol, they were probably viewing the data, copying it down and re-entering it as 'new' data on their end. :bravo:

You're wrong here though, at least according to the Bloomberg article. They didn't have any export permissions, and I doubt that the loving Data Director for a national campaign was sitting there like a punk hand-writing info and then re-uploading it for the whole ~day that this bug was in production for.

I am not a book fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 18, 2015

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

I'm not seeing any primo crazy at /r/sandersforpresident, help a brother out

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Gail Wynand posted:

I'm not seeing any primo crazy at /r/sandersforpresident, help a brother out

There's a bunch of them posting (and upvoting) theories that the database "firewall" was deliberately lowered by DWS and Hillary to trap the Sanders campaign.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

You're talking about the same kind of people who are/were Ron Paul fans and unironically wanted Paul to pick Dennis Kucinich as his VP because they get along and both stand by their principles, despite believing entirely different things.

MC Nietzche posted:

Well if the SA debate thread is any indication "Literally Hitler" is next up.

Trump is already the front-runner.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

To be fair, those textbooks are probably from 1987, so not mentioning ISIS really isn't their fault.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Update on the Sanders data incident:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2015/12/18/the-dnc-needs-to-restore-bernie-sanders-access-to-voter-data-fast/

quote:

On the other hand, multiple accounts say that as many as four users associated with the Sanders campaign may have accessed the Clinton data. The Sanders campaign does not deny this; it says that those staffers did so at the behest of their boss, the staffer who has been fired. As you can see, our knowledge of what happened is pretty murky right now.
Apparently the national data director told subordinates to access the data as well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hey Joe, is Rubio in DC to "Use Every Procedural Aspect To Slow It Down & Force Changes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Mitt Romney posted:

Update on the Sanders data incident:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2015/12/18/the-dnc-needs-to-restore-bernie-sanders-access-to-voter-data-fast/

Apparently the national data director told subordinates to access the data as well.

:lol:
For Hire
Data Director
Newly vacated

• Locked thread