Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Mr. Clark2 posted:

They probably want to control the bell system with an app or some BS like that. The woman that opened the ticket is a semi-retard...and a principal.

Replace the button with this http://www.dx.com/p/usb-1-channel-5v-control-switch-relay-module-green-blue-408218 then write an app to auto-ring the bell. Duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I don't think I'd attempt to modernize a school bell system unless that was my company's specialty. I think a lot of them are integrated into fire and PA, clock and telephone systems. You're going to be looking at a nightmare of proprietary systems that could impact the school's compliance with fire codes.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Got a ticket saying that we needed to "computerize" our bell system (I'm a sysadmin at a school). I go and take a look at the current bell system and it's just a box of wires and electronics attached to the wall. I opened it up and saw absolutely no interface that would allow a computer to be attached to it, no ethernet, no serial ports, no USB ports, no ports whatsoever and I know it's not on our network at all. Yep, I'll get right on "computerizing" it.

Could probably replace the "ring the bell" button with a Raspberry PI and GPIO shield.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

frogbert posted:

Could probably replace the "ring the bell" button with a Raspberry PI and GPIO shield.

Hahahahah it's cute that you think that

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

In my school system, that response is met with a prompt "yeah, no." , or otherwise "petition the superintendent to put this $100k+ contract into your next building project. Good luck."

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Got a ticket saying that we needed to "computerize" our bell system (I'm a sysadmin at a school). I go and take a look at the current bell system and it's just a box of wires and electronics attached to the wall. I opened it up and saw absolutely no interface that would allow a computer to be attached to it, no ethernet, no serial ports, no USB ports, no ports whatsoever and I know it's not on our network at all. Yep, I'll get right on "computerizing" it.
Lol get a quote and do it. Ask them if they had a budget in mind.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 18, 2015

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Slanderer posted:

Hahahahah it's cute that you think that

Hey, woah. I said could not should

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Software developer here.

I was recently blessed with helping out a Java project that was already halfway done. It's an internal application with a Java back-end and an AngularJS front-end. Everything had to be bleeding edge technology, latest versions, ect... .

App's finished but doesn't run on any computer of our office workers, but just fine with support and our developers. Turns out the entire office department all run Microsoft Edge... locked in on IE7 mode.

:suicide:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Arduinos and Ras-pi's are pretty cheap. Depending on the system you might just be able to leave things intact and piggy back off them by adding in one of the aforementioned.
Good loving luck figuring out which terminals to hook up to without any prior knowledge of those alarm controller boards though.

Alternatively it would be pretty funny to hook up one of those remote control relays to the bell system just to gently caress with people.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA76H2GT5498

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

AlexDeGruven posted:

IT is still a cost center and treated as such by most organizations. The ones that don't figure it out don't last, and the ones that do are the ones that end up nice to work at (eg: mine).

GoatShaver posted:

Bonus points if your CEO tells you that you "just cost money".

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Last job this was the opinion of every C-level except CIO. Majority of our income was basically a call center. We built our own PBX, fax servers, etc...
Most weeks they'd scheme up some new way to make money: "build website that does this, market x services to these people, take calls for these people," whatever.
This meant spinning up whole new companies with literally no notice. IT was tasked with making everything work from soup to nuts; hiring, process, project management, oh and of course technology.

So, yeah, those workers on the phone, making sales "just cost money" too...

So which one of you is this?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

It's all of us.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
A ticket came in: "We need to look into a better laptop for me as this one dies way too fast."

Turns out, she was working with extremely large excel documents while video conferencing + screen sharing for 2+ hours. She is not satisfied with the solution of "keep it plugged in while doing this stuff" (she had 40% left after 2 hours or so).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Kashuno posted:

A ticket came in: "We need to look into a better laptop for me as this one dies way too fast."

Turns out, she was working with extremely large excel documents while video conferencing + screen sharing for 2+ hours. She is not satisfied with the solution of "keep it plugged in while doing this stuff" (she had 40% left after 2 hours or so).

Give her a big UPS to lug around, tell her to keep it charged.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
181 tickets came in

code:
Warning - Environment: A low humidity threshold violation exists for integrated Environmental Monitor TH Sensor (Port 1 Temp 1 at Port 1) reporting under 30%RH.

Informational - Environment: A low humidity threshold violation no longer exists for integrated Environmental Monitor TH Sensor (Port 1 Temp 1 at Port 1).
Office move, junior guy thought it would be a great idea to enable environmental monitoring on the UPS right before he took off for the night. Since I'm on call, every time my phone chimes I was looking. Around midnight I said gently caress it and turned the sound off on my phone.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

First helpdesk call of the day: someone needed to open a webinar in Chrome. IE is set as default, so told them to open Chrome, copy the link from their email, and paste it into the address bar in Chrome. "How do I paste?"

ok time to go home

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

This is thankfully not my ticket, but I've had to deal with this customer in the past. This is an entirely new level of jackassery.

quote:

Yes, I’m still having this issue.
Do you know that when you dial star (*) and then the extension, the phone will ring that extensions voicemail. Where as if you dial ext 4845 it will ring and ring until the voicemail comes on. Do you know this?

Well, when I dial ext 4845 and it rings multiple times and then goes to voicemail, it will play the voicemail of ext 4845, which is good and what is Should be doing.
BUT, when I dial “STAR-4-8-4-5” (*4845)(do you understand what I mean by star?) it should take me to ext 4845’s voicemail without ringing their phone line. Did you know this?

So why when I dial star 4845, is ext 1143’s voicemail coming on?
So, yes, there is still this problem.

Let me know if you need further clarification. I can call you tomorrow morning so you can hear what I’m talking about

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Kaethela posted:

This is thankfully not my ticket, but I've had to deal with this customer in the past. This is an entirely new level of jackassery.

I couldn't help calling them back and trolling them, pretending like I didn't know what * was.

"STAR? so let's see that's S-T-A-R. OH SOMETHING'S RINGING! That's not right... Yes it is, it's 7-8-2-7. Let's try again. Oh? The symbol? I'm so silly, hold on..." hits #

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

do you understand what i mean by star?????

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Jeoh posted:

do you understand what i mean by star?????

That's the thing that makes it so Mario can't die right?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
"There is no star button my phone. There's an asterisk that kinda looks like a star! I can try that if you think it'll help!"

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I spoke too soon guys. I turned down the job.

when the school called and offered me the job there :yotj:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

larchesdanrew posted:

What made you choose the one over the other?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

larchesdanrew posted:

:yotj:

Even better news, congrats!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

neogeo0823 posted:

What made you choose the one over the other?

$10k more a year, state benefits, deploying cutting edge tech rather than babysitting ancient tech, and I'm a teacher deep down. Just a lot of reasons.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
Nice one, I hope it all works out :)

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

I do believe in miracles. I do!

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Yay, finally a post!

An email came in: "I tried adding a news article to our website but some of the text is missing! This needs to be fixed ASAP!"

Replied: User has entered black text onto a site with a black background.

Fake edit: congrats larches!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

And the good news keeps on trucking in! Good for you :)

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Jesus Christ, if you put a ticket in at 10am and then are unreachable for half an hour, and then when I finally get a hold of you, you complain so much that it takes ten minutes to fix your problem instead of five, don't loving bitch to me about how much work you didn't get done this morning and "most of yesterday" because of it.

I mean, I'm going to do gently caress all about your attitude except apologize because I abhor confrontation, but it's a lovely thing to do.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

larchesdanrew posted:

$10k more a year, state benefits, deploying cutting edge tech rather than babysitting ancient tech, and I'm a teacher deep down. Just a lot of reasons.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha you're going to be doing educational IT and dealing with teachers and students and administrators good luck

(Congrats! In 2 years I may try to poach you for my edu org in CA)

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Client doesn't know their AD admin creds or the local user logins to their domain controllers

Today is going to be a fun day.

They finally remembered it! Oh happy day. I had to go through about four passwords to finally get the right one.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 18, 2015

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Get a Raspberry Pi. A few high-power transistors hooked up to the GPIO pins and a bit of web coding and you have a fully computerized bell system with a web interface.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

odiv posted:

Jesus Christ, if you put a ticket in at 10am and then are unreachable for half an hour, and then when I finally get a hold of you, you complain so much that it takes ten minutes to fix your problem instead of five, don't loving bitch to me about how much work you didn't get done this morning and "most of yesterday" because of it.

I mean, I'm going to do gently caress all about your attitude except apologize because I abhor confrontation, but it's a lovely thing to do.

User calls: "I just put in a ticket 10 minutes ago, I NEED THIS FIXED! I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO DO A THING FOR A WEEK! THIS IS URGENT! IT IS AFFECTING PRODUCTIVITY!"

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

User calls: "I just put in a ticket 10 minutes ago, I NEED THIS FIXED! I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO DO A THING FOR A WEEK! THIS IS URGENT! IT IS AFFECTING PRODUCTIVITY!"

Your ticket is #41 in the queue, we are currently closing 12 tickets a day, see you on Wednesday.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

quote:

Why was this issue closed? It has not been resolved.

The automated closure email the client received posted:

Sent: Friday, December 18, 2015 11:09 AM
To: Client
Subject: Incident closed *ref#24-32089093

Incident # 32089093 has been Closed. Below is a description of your ticket.

If you feel this issue has not been resolved, please reply to this email and your ticket will be re-opened.

Ticket details:
Open Date: 18/12/2015 10:22:03 AM
Close Date: 18/12/2015 11:08:12 AM

Subject Description: Workflow Automation

Incident Description: Seems to be a loop in our workflow

Incident Resolution: Duplicate ticket, see Incident # 32089072

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Awesome, just had my job threatened today because end users can't use our absolute clusterfuck of a videoconferencing system.

It was specced out by the CEO and some other high up, they don't have any technical knowledge and the vendor was too unprofessional to get some kind of documented idea of what the system was supposed to do and defined expectations. So it's ballooned into this unmanageable mess that seems very much beyond the skill level of the vendor and is extremely flaky. Add to that a touchscreen UI that was custom designed by people who've clearly never taken a first year course in any kind of design whatsoever, much less user interface.

So it sucks, the users cant operate it, and even when they do there's a high chance of failure due to jankiness.

Yesterday a user didn't operate the system correctly, and didn't send us the meeting invite so we could check in on her in time. This is my fault because apparently she wasn't trained properly even though she definitely was trained.

WTF am I supposed to do? Give users exams to make sure they work? I can't certify their capabilities.

Time to update the LinkedIn, I guess. :[

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

odiv posted:

Don't ever apologise for that poo poo. Maybe "I'm sorry to hear that", but never offer a straight up apology for something that isn't your fault. You're just validating their unreasonable stance and making it worse next time.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

An email came in (5 minutes before I walk out the door. Also, direct to me, not to anyone else on my team):

quote:

Hey, ADG. We have these two new servers cabled up. Can you help get them built?

I don't respond as I saw it go by literally as I was leaving.

The next morning, at 6:55am, an IM comes in:

quote:

Hey, ADG. Any chance you can help out with these boxes today? We have the vendor on site starting at 8am

:fuckoff:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Gettin' real sick of your poo poo, Tim. :manning:

Every Friday, our office orders lunch for all the employees. It's a tradition that I've vehemently stuck to because it's free good food and it's the most satisfying perk I get around here. Not 10 minutes before lunch is set to arrive, Tim calls the office and asks to speak to me. He says that one of our merchants, located 20 minutes away, is unable to process due to their internet being out. That particular merchant was supposed to be set for a phone line backup, but apparently that's not working either. He tells me I need to drop everything I'm doing and go out there and fix it now.

I tell him I'll call the merchant and see what the issue is. He tells me he already spoke to them, they're losing sales, and they need a tech out there now.

I tell him I can go out after lunch is done, but I'd really like to speak with them over the phone either way to see what the issue is and what is needed to fix it. He tells me he'll do it himself and hangs up in a huff.

So I go back to my desk and give the merchant a call. Turns out their internet was down in such a way that the terminal was hanging forever when trying to establish a connection to the server. They're aware that the outtage is with their internet provider, and they're concerned because the phone line is not automatically kicking in. I walk them through unplugging the ethernet cable from their terminal, and what do you know, the phone line backup kicks in like it should. I tell them to plug the cable back in when the internet comes up, and if they have any further issues or questions to give me a call. Oh, and one last thing: Tim is on his way over there. When he gets there, tell him Neo called and got you guys sorted out in 5 minutes. :grin:

Tim got back nearly an hour after lunch arrived and hasn't spoken to me since he got back. I really hope he learned a lesson about panicking, but I really really doubt he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Awesome, just had my job threatened today because end users can't use our absolute clusterfuck of a videoconferencing system.

It was specced out by the CEO and some other high up, they don't have any technical knowledge and the vendor was too unprofessional to get some kind of documented idea of what the system was supposed to do and defined expectations. So it's ballooned into this unmanageable mess that seems very much beyond the skill level of the vendor and is extremely flaky. Add to that a touchscreen UI that was custom designed by people who've clearly never taken a first year course in any kind of design whatsoever, much less user interface.

So it sucks, the users cant operate it, and even when they do there's a high chance of failure due to jankiness.

Yesterday a user didn't operate the system correctly, and didn't send us the meeting invite so we could check in on her in time. This is my fault because apparently she wasn't trained properly even though she definitely was trained.

WTF am I supposed to do? Give users exams to make sure they work? I can't certify their capabilities.

Time to update the LinkedIn, I guess. :[

Ha, going through this right now as well.

We tested the device with a presentation twice and everything was great, using these VIA Kramer units.

Come meeting time, it doesn't work, which triggers emails to me, my boss, my bosses boss, the CEO all blaming IT (not the AV department and the subcontractor that just installed all of this) for this products lack of functionality.

I don't do anything!

• Locked thread