Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Wait uh... you weren't kidding about the news van in the Hitler video. They're making a news van variant. Sometimes this thread just leaves me feeling a little lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kittens McMittens
Jan 1, 2012

MilesK posted:

I thought EU members couldn't be denied a refund. Tell 'em "gently caress you, pay me".

It's actually kind complicated. You can get around the Consumer Rights Directive by including language in the contract stating that there are to be no refunds. That way as soon as the service is being performed, you lose the right to get a refund. Because it all came into force around the same time as SC was launched, CIG didn't include any such language in their TOS.

The fact that they included language around refunds in their TOS makes it clearer than the statutory minimum at the time. From the response they've given, I doubt they're going to give me anything, as I think they are trying to argue that the statutory time period expired two weeks after payment, whereas obviously I (and most people here ) think that they have yet to start performing the service.

I'll probably file a small claim next week. It might take a while to percolate through the system. If they take any action to defend the claim it'll cost them far more than the $200 I've given them, and it'll cost me far less to bring it as I won't bother with a solicitor. Most small claimants don't have representation; apparently the process is designed to give small claimants a fair hearing. It might even be fun!

If they hadn't included language around refunds in that original TOS I wouldn't bother. When I put the money in, like any Kickstarter I was prepared to lose it. It just bothers me that they promised to do refunds if they had the capacity and they're not, when they clearly do.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Wait uh... you weren't kidding about the news van in the Hitler video. They're making a news van variant. Sometimes this thread just leaves me feeling a little lost.

I don't know much about the SC ships, but it does seem like they're really hurting for new ship ideas.

"Uuh guys so we need a new ship for the holiday stream but we can't make one that screws with the balancing because that might cause the whales to melt ships instead of forking out fresh cash. What do we got?"

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

quote:

You’ve come close to buying ships in the past, but didn’t because you never found a ship that inspires the same awe and wonder that you feel every time you look at the night sky.

I thought their whole backer thing was "we don't sell ships, we just accept donations and the ships are gifts :smug:"

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Hey Derek I've been holding my breath for three hours

Cut a bro some slack willya

Two weeks

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I don't know much about the SC ships, but it does seem like they're really hurting for new ship ideas.

"Uuh guys so we need a new ship for the holiday stream but we can't make one that screws with the balancing because that might cause the whales to melt ships instead of forking out fresh cash. What do we got?"

I'm holding out for the space pizza delivery vehicle (with special space heater to keep pizza fresh).

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I wonder what's the last stop to the whole 'utterly pointless spaceship for a videogame' angle?

Space washer van, to keep your autism chariots shiny on the fly? Space janitor van, to empty your space toilet?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Yep, that's what makes the whole thing hilarious. The thread gets a bit hyperbolical all the time, but only because SC gives such good material.

The most recent highlights from this last live stream were.
- Roberts failing to play his own drat game (and also looking like he'd never seen it before)
- Announcement of new ship, including news van variant.
- Taking questions from chat, the first of which was "will Star Citizen have birds", to which the answer is "of course, yes"
- And the normal assorted technical idiocy you've come to expect from these live streams.
- Some nice looking ship renders
- A nice "looking" promotional video.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CrazyLoon posted:

I wonder what's the last stop to the whole 'utterly pointless spaceship for a videogame' angle?

Space washer van, to keep your autism chariots shiny on the fly? Space janitor van, to empty your space toilet?

Space school bus. Space garbage truck. Space spaceway maintainence patrol vehicle.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I'm not sure the logic behind the arguement. If SC comes out and we come slinking back we lose face with no one. CIG isn't going to not take my money. But if SC doesn't come out, we are out nothing, and they lose everything.

Hmm, I'm either out hundreds/thousands of dollars, or I might need to admit I was wrong about something. drat tough call that.

No, they are right, we are going to lose face and you are a fool if you think goons won't get mocked for joining the game after all of this.

Whale 1: This game is awesome! Don't you stupid goons wish you had backed it?
Whale 2: Hahaha, look at these idiots! Hey goons, why don't you go play LoD instead?
:goon:
Whale 1: Wait a minute, hadn't they been banned from the game forever?
Whale 2: Hahaha, look at these n00bs with their starter ships! Hey goons, why don't y :psyboom:
Whale 3: Oh god, what just happ :psyboom:
Whale 1: CHRIS! CHRIS! For the love of god Chris, don't abandon us to this fate! :qq:
Chris: *pauses for a second while counting goon money* Wh-what? What is it you morons want now, drat it?
Whale 4: :psyboom:
Whale 1: Where is the PvP slider you promised us Chris? :qq:
Chris: Oh... that, sure. I'll get right back working on that as soon as I finish what I'm doing. *resumes counting*

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

CrazyLoon posted:

Flying billboard which lets you get in-game currency only if you fly ads of CIG sponsors.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

CrazyLoon posted:

Space washer van, to keep your autism chariots shiny on the fly?

Space milk float. Space Mail truck.

I even have it on good authority that this is a leaked concept for a new RV for holidays around the 'verse...

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Has Chris ever actually said "no" or even "probably not" to a question posted to him about what will be included in his universe simulation?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Oh, so you're the leak at CIG. That's some good concept art though, when does it go on sale?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

FatherChristmas posted:

I work in software development but definitely not game development. Your entire industry frightens me, I got out early on in my career.

Me too, back in the 90s. I'm doing what I'm doing on my terms and making sure we take care of our people. Trying to establish a new... drat it. 'paradigm' for behavior.

Sarsapariller posted:

Same. Game developers need a union, they are getting screwed six ways from Sunday.

Totally agree here. I'm trying to convert into a Benefit Corp, and making sure everyone has stock - the Proctor and Gamble method, more or less.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 18, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'm holding out for the space pizza delivery vehicle (with special space heater to keep pizza fresh).

They should call it the Deliverator and get sued by Neal Stephenson.

Chin posted:

Has Chris ever actually said "no" or even "probably not" to a question posted to him about what will be included in his universe simulation?

Didn't he recently say no to the idea of having hall monitors enforce speed limits in stations to keep people from running all the time?

Tippis fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 18, 2015

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

CrazyLoon posted:

Leaked in-engine real live vectored TCP screenshot of lesbick-inspired next spaceship

Crash74
May 11, 2009
^^^^ Not fat enough, think death star size

So how is e:d any different than other mmo's like wow, where you have to pay for expansions? How is a 30 dollar expansion that adds major content to the game worse than being conned into buying multiple hundreds of dollar spaceships? Doesn't a 1500 dollar spaceship count at paid dlc? :psypop: wtf is wrong with these people?

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 18, 2015

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Oh, so you're the leak at CIG. That's some good concept art though, when does it go on sale?

poo poo, I thought I was on my alt account. Oh well, space cat is out the bag now. It's going on sale when Chris has to break open his last kilo, it's a steal at a mere one million spacebucks.

Dirty Hairy
Oct 18, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

SelenicMartian posted:

Flying billboard which lets you get in-game currency only if you fly ads of CIG sponsors.

They've already got this. Look at the Hull series concept art. The sides of the ship are space billboards.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Crash74 posted:

So how is e:d any different than other mmo's like wow, where you have to pay for expansions? How is a 30 dollar expansion that adds major content to the game worse than being conned into buying multiple hundreds of dollar spaceships? Doesn't a 1500 dollar spaceship count at paid dlc? :psypop: wtf is wrong with these people?

"It's an investment, you blunthead plebeian!" /SC whale

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Crash74 posted:

They have broken brains that think that paying for something that doesn't exist yet is better than paying for something made and finished. The really funny thing to remember is the yearly interest the superwhales would have got on the money languishing in CIGs coffers would have paid for the ED expansions, and there would have been plenty of spare cash for Pizza, Cheetos and Mountain Dew.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

If you don't know DS well enough by now to realize this is the closest you'll ever extract from him in lieu of a retraction I don't know what to tell you other than I hope you're sitting comfortably while you wait.

Hardly a retraction if you shop it round and nobody wants to touch the poop.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

This is incredibly bad for consumer rights in general, not just imaginary spaceships, but I imagine this is how Derek had the basis? Standing? Ability? I don't know the exact legalese word that needs to be used here, but California law would have permitted the class-action lawsuit to go forward.

The problem is that if you're actually shopping this around to partners on the usual 30-45% cut on the projected damages, it has to be large enough in scale to account for the time taken to even get the thing in front of a judge, which is why everyone and his dog is adding forced arbitration to their terms of service; It's more a chilling effect than a hard and fast rule, and something that Congress is looking into - But you know the speed those guys work at. The other thing to consider is that DirectTV actually supplied service before charging the fees, and their terms of service already contained the forced arbitration clause.

Tippis posted:

As in the physical plug is unreliable/falls out or as in the driver layer flakes out?

On mine the physical PS2 socket is a tad wobbly and the plug isn't the most secure, but you'd imagine the guy creating the BDSSE would know his way around a joystick, no?

Crash74 posted:

LOL they just say that to cover their back if they're wrong. Goons have swallowed Derek's salty load and can't now think for themselves.

The closest I got to Smart's salty load was buying battlecruiser when it was first released. All I see is two huge narcissists having a proxy war.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Crash74 posted:

LOL they just say that to cover their back if they're wrong. Goons have swallowed Derek's salty load and can't now think for themselves.

They're backing him all the way because they believe he's right. Why else are people like boocha and beer4 cuddling up to him after pulling their money? Of course when the game launches and it becomes painfully apparent they've been had, they'll just say "oh lol we knew we were just pretending" to try and save face. That didn't sound convincing when I was 6, and it still doesn't now

:psyboom: welp time to call it quits fellas, writing mushmouth a check for 15 grand today

I pulled my money?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
Do we still do this

Crash74
May 11, 2009

CrazyLoon posted:

"It's an investment, you blunthead plebeian!" /SC whale

Investment: In finance, investment is buying or creating an asset with the expectation of capital appreciation, dividends (profit), interest earnings, rents, or some combination of these returns.
Thats one hell of an Investment!

e: ^ see Octopode I can use google too!

ee: boocha how much were you gonna get being a actual investor? 10%-60% on initial investment back or 1-5% of profits kind of deal? You ended up getting no compensation for your time and money correct?

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 18, 2015

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Crash74 posted:

Investment: In finance, investment is buying or creating an asset with the expectation of capital appreciation, dividends (profit), interest earnings, rents, or some combination of these returns.
Thats one hell of an Investment!

An emotional one via money is what they really mean, methinks. Those always work out so well!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Bait and Swatch posted:

Do we still do this

Not nearly as much as we should

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

That thread is amazing, I love the sort of half-aware agitated speculation on goon motives.

Redditors I'm going to tell you the truth, because it's funny and you probably won't believe me which makes it even funnier. The secret of goons is that they are here for comedy and very little else. Seeing hubris bring people to ruin is hilarious, and it's even better when they are grotesque caricatures of human beings. Derek, Chris, Sandi, Ben, and every single citizen, are the focus of attention not because of spite or genuine interest in what they have to say, but because the drama and cult-like faith and overreach in this story are awesome, and the continuing expose of just how broken in the head all of you are is simultaneously horrifying and laugh-out-loud funny.

If a game comes out that is any good- awesome. But that's really very secondary to the humor, and it's much funnier and probably more accurate to accuse it of being vaporware and watch all of you poo poo yourselves trying to mount a defense of this company that has taken your money, kicked you in the balls, and asked if you want seconds.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bait and Swatch posted:

What will be in star citizen you aks?

I have it on good authority that things like this will be possible. Birds loving with cats trying to fight each other: http://youtu.be/cbBlYfTbA44

Enjoy citizens

This is actually a pretty good analogy of Star Citizen, goons sowing as much chaos as possible while Chris tries to focus on the fight with DS and in the end the crows and the black cat chase the fat cat out of the field.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

how is it possible that Roberts managed to out-PARP his reveal of the dog fighting module, nearly two years ago? I am still in awe.
I'm very eager to see what Hoodwinked Fool does with this latest outing.

FatherChristmas
Nov 9, 2012

'Tis the season

Karl, fucketh thyself.

Warcabbit posted:

Me too, back in the 90s. I'm doing what I'm doing on my terms and making sure we take care of our people. Trying to establish a new... drat it. 'paradigm' for behavior.

Hats off to what you're doing, there. We need better examples in the software industry in general, and I feel that's the sort of step that's going to help. I got completely burned from all the horror stories from Zynga and some of the others around here when I was sending out resumes when my internship ended.

The big one was 'when the project's over, expect to get canned'. I still can't believe that's common practice.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Bait and Swatch posted:

Do we still do this

That cat looks like he just bought a 1500 dollar spaceship and has just found out it doesn't actually exist!

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Crash74 posted:

They are deluded and playing their fantasy game in their brain. Also very, very stupid and gullible. The only reason they are donating so much is because Roberts promised the game would be everything to everyone. Elite Dangerous, on the other hand, takes a measured and responsible approach. That doesn't let them play some sort of fantasy game in their heads. Its severe cognitive dissonance, they somehow think a game that doesn't exist yet is somehow beating one that has left it in the dust time and time again. And in reality is much cheaper than SC is. Each backer for SC has paid on average $91. That would buy you both ED and ED: Horizons (with the 25% discount), which actually exist. It is a consequence of their cult-like devotion to playing pretend spaceships.

Also, this article must really chap Chris' rear end: Space Adventure 'Elite: Dangerous' Simulates Milky Way in Stunning and Accurate Detail

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sarsapariller posted:

If a game comes out that is any good- awesome. But that's really very secondary to the humor, and it's much funnier and probably more accurate to accuse it of being vaporware and watch all of you poo poo yourselves trying to mount a defense of this company that has taken your money, kicked you in the balls, and asked if you want seconds.

And to tie that in to what was said earlier: if the game comes out, all that happens is that one type of humour gets replaced with a different one. Well, unless it comes out and is terminally boring… except that this would also be hilarious (but only for the brief moment the whole thing would last before slipping into history as a forgettable gaming footnote).

Crash74 posted:

That cat looks like he just bought a 1500 dollar spaceship and has just found out it doesn't actually exist!

Yeah. Based on that look, it may or may not be plotting to murder someone and bury them in the backyard.
Wait, strike that. It's a cat — “may not” isn't really an option. It may or may not be reconsidering exactly whom to murder and bury.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 18, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

wikidd posted:

It's actually kind complicated. You can get around the Consumer Rights Directive by including language in the contract stating that there are to be no refunds.

No, stop being a stupid.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

G0RF posted:

I'm very eager to see what Hoodwinked Fool does with this latest outing.

he could literally just release the full 19 minute video with PARP blaring in the background. Every second brings the PARP.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Tippis posted:

Didn't he recently say no to the idea of having hall monitors enforce speed limits in stations to keep people from running all the time?

Who the gently caress came up with that idea? Why the gently caress would anyone want to buy a video game to be a hall monitor... Unless the motherfucker is paid to do that in real life, and wants to be a scifi version of himself...

HAHAHAHA. Maybe I should get my ten year old cousin, who's also a hall monitor, to play Space Hall Monitor simulator.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Bwahahaha. Is that article accurate about what's in elite dangerous? It has everything these idiots want and instead they bash it while throwing money at vaporware hoping the mist with transform and kinda look like the virgin mary at some point so they can pray to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sarsapariller posted:

That thread is amazing, I love the sort of half-aware agitated speculation on goon motives.

Redditors I'm going to tell you the truth, because it's funny and you probably won't believe me which makes it even funnier. The secret of goons is that they are here for comedy and very little else. Seeing hubris bring people to ruin is hilarious, and it's even better when they are grotesque caricatures of human beings. Derek, Chris, Sandi, Ben, and every single citizen, are the focus of attention not because of spite or genuine interest in what they have to say, but because the drama and cult-like faith and overreach in this story are awesome, and the continuing expose of just how broken in the head all of you are is simultaneously horrifying and laugh-out-loud funny.

Seconding this.

Redditors, most of us here are less like this:

and more like this:

• Locked thread