Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

theblackw0lf posted:

Man I do not like Jeff Weaver. Sanders needs to surround himself with better people.

I'm wondering how much autonomy Weaver has in the Sanders campaign and in a situation like this if Sanders made the call on some of these things.

Weaver hosed up badly before the previous debate too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mitt Romney posted:

I'm wondering how much autonomy Weaver has in the Sanders campaign and in a situation like this if Sanders made the call on some of these things.

Weaver hosed up badly before the previous debate too.

There is no way he's saying poo poo like 'we're gonna sue the DNC' on his own.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Logikv9 posted:

Did one of the big hot-air radio sources call his beard Islamic, or was it just the Brietbart comment section?

Well Michael Savage was freaking out last night calling Ryan "Obama's Beard!" which got a big guffaw out of me but probably not for the reason Savage called him that.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

Remember, it isn't what you actually do for minorities, it is how ideologically pure your coalition is!

So are you seriously arguing that without the Democrats we would be better off on civil rights?

I bet most of the men who gave women the right to vote were sexist too! If only we had waited long to pass sufferance, we could have done it with ideological purity!

Does anyone else want to whitesplain how anti-racism was a core tenet* to the Democrat's ideology and how it was white people who liberated the black communities of America? I'm still waiting for that ridiculous answer.

And Wilson was also a huge racist and a sexist.

The black community fought and won the Civil Rights Movement. It wasn't "white people suddenly having a change of heart."

e: phoneposting

Dead Cosmonaut fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 18, 2015

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Does anyone else want to whitesplain how anti-racism was a core tenant to the Democrat's ideology and how it was white people who liberated the black communities of America? I'm still waiting for that ridiculous answer.

it's "tenet" not "tenant" in that context. not taking a side in the discussion, but that mistake drives me nuts

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This is actually a good idea

quote:

@ZekeJMiller

Surprised Bernie folks aren't calling on DNC to suspend all access to NGP-VAN for all candidates until problem is investigated

Would have been a better approach than the press conference they just had.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Johnson was a huge racist. The Democrats never owned the Civil Rights Movement. They only reacted to it.

And therefore laws that prevented white mobs from lynching black politicians didn't matter.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

theblackw0lf posted:

Yeah but then what's the course of action when everyone else involved goes 'lol no'?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Does anyone else want to whitesplain how anti-racism was a core tenet* to the Democrat's ideology and how it was white people who liberated the black communities of America? I'm still waiting for that ridiculous answer.

The black community fought and won the Civil Rights Movement. It wasn't "white people suddenly having a change of heart."

"does anyone want to adopt this strawman I'm desperately tilting against? anyone?"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Oh, today, the day that the school district is closed due to threats about Arabic calligraphy, is the UN's Arabic Language Day. Here's the Pledge of Allegiance in the form of Arabic calligraphy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Hell, I heard that Republicans freed the slaves.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Johnson was a huge racist. The Democrats never owned the Civil Rights Movement. They only reacted to it.

Right, wow.

Johnson: Huge racist, but instrumental in passing the most racially progressive legislation in American history which has been used as a foundation of minority rights for the last fifty years = terrible person, should not be listened to

You: Not at all racist, but completely okay with minorities getting a little bit of a shaft if it gets you the economic justice you want = awesome person, everyone should listen to

Sure. Seems fair.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
No one is going to argue that because it's an obviously retarded straw man.

However, building coalitions with people neutral on race issues (but very possibly racist in their personal habits) by identifying areas of concerted interests and by engaging potential allies without idiot racial determinism allowed black activists, leaders, and groups to bring the national-level Democrats on board with the seminal Civil Rights legislation.

And seriously? *karate chops chest* WILSON WAS RACIST is something I'd expect to see in a Fox Nation comment section.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zoux posted:

Hell, I heard that Republicans freed the slaves.

Party of Lincoln!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

theblackw0lf posted:

DNC suspended access to the campaign that was building lists off insider data. Either Sanders can piss off every other Democrat, or he can give up.

Unfortunately, Sanders has never had to experience a true ratfuck up in them hills of Vermont. Well, now he will.

No more NGP/VAN nor DNC voter files for Sanders, ever.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I'm pretty sure Johnson did that out of the good of his heart and was in no way pressured by an increasingly agitated black community and organizers such as MLK Jr.

The Democrats never owned anti-racism and never will. See also: Bill Clinton incarcerating a few million minorities but he totally wasn't a racist because he was a Democrat.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

How ignorant are you? How far back do you want to go? Reconstruction? The Civil Rights Cases? JFK writing to MLK while he was in jail?

Black people bought protection from violent white mobs by their blood, and thier sacrificies swaying powerbrokers to have that protection set into the law. Don't ask me, ask John Lewis. Which makes the SupCt recent evisceration of the VRA even more shameful.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure Johnson did that out of the good of his heart and was in no way pressured by an increasingly agitated black community and organizers such as MLK Jr.

The Democrats never owned anti-racism and never will. See also: Bill Clinton incarcerating a few million minorities but he totally wasn't a racist because he was a Democrat.
Now you're being a stereo-type. You're idealism is blinding and laughable. No one ever does anything because it should be done. They do it when they have no choice but to.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Watch Sanders pull a Ralph Nader on Hillary

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

The Democrats never owned anti-racism and never will.

And you do? You're the guy saying we shouldn't listen to minority activists, we should listen to you instead.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

DNC suspended access to the campaign that was building lists off insider data. Either Sanders can piss off every other Democrat, or he can give up.

Unfortunately, Sanders has never had to experience a true ratfuck up in them hills of Vermont. Well, now he will.

No more NGP/VAN nor DNC voter files for Sanders, ever.

Nah dude I bet they get access restored by eod.

No need to ratfuck here

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I love how the people (leftists) who profess to be about structural analysis and material, social forces in fact just want to see whether or not persons, as individuals, are Good Hearted Moral Folk.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

This guy did the right thing for the wrong reasons. I humbly propose that, instead, we do the wrong things for the right reasons. Also gently caress THAT GUY.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Logikv9 posted:

Hoping that further fallout between Sanders and the DNC doesn't lead to more Sanders supporters not voting straight ticket Dem in the general.

Ha, are you kidding? The petulance of Clinton supporters displayed in this thread isn't exactly isolated—with so little effort being made to bridge the gap between the two camps, there's going to be a drat good number of Bernie backers who will refuse to hold their nose. Don't blame us, blame the party establishment for setting up such an incredibly divisive candidate to take the nomination.

Queue torrent of contempt for the naive fantasist, because that'll sure make Bernie supporters vote Dem on November 8th.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Shageletic posted:

How ignorant are you? How far back do you want to go? Reconstruction? The Civil Rights Cases? JFK writing to MLK while he was in jail?

I wasn't referring to JFK. I was referring to Johnson. He definitely said some bad things about black people (As did Truman and Wilson), but they shouldn't take credit for doing anything beyond being just pragmatic. If anything, what Eisenhower did was more unprecedented since the Civil Rights Movement had yet to kick off.

Shageletic posted:

Black people bought protection from violent white mobs by their blood, and thier sacrificies swaying powerbrokers to have that protection set into the law. Don't ask me, ask John Lewis. Which makes the SupCt recent evisceration of the VRA even more shameful.

Now you're being a stereo-type. You're idealism is blinding and laughable. No one ever does anything because it should be done. They do it when they have no choice but to.

Go on. Keep downplaying what the black community fought for and say that it was white people who liberated them. Keep on telling them how you freed them from their shackles. This further reinforces the idea that maybe white people shouldn't be telling black people what to do or how they should feel about racism.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Anyone who professed to believe that a Bernie victory would be good who fails to show up and vote Democratic in local and state elections is flat out moron to whom I wish eternal ill.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

Anyone who professed to believe that a Bernie victory would be good who fails to show up and vote Democratic in local and state elections is flat out moron to whom I wish eternal ill.

Well you only have yourself to blame, cruelly sneering at their infantile grasp of American politics.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

GalacticAcid posted:

I love how the people (leftists) who profess to be about structural analysis and material, social forces in fact just want to see whether or not persons, as individuals, are Good Hearted Moral Folk.

I think you are making excellent points but it's a bit disingenuous to paint LBJ as nothing but a racist.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I don't even know what Dead Cosmonaunt is arguing here, other than venting incoherently like a teenager having dinner with his parents.

National political organizations are not unselfish actors? Shocker. They're entities that respond to force and pressure. Which makes the whole last page of arguing about focusing on class issues versus issues important to the minority community entirely silly. Blacks (and to a lesser extent, Hispanics) are the foundation of the modern Democractic Party, to the extent elections can be easily forecast by how many of them live in a particular district. The party will not do anything to lose their edge with that demographic, to the other extent of desperately courting its (imagined or not) influential personalities.

Bernie lost a year ago when Clinton sowed up her support with African Americans, after cultivating them for decades.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

Ha, are you kidding? The petulance of Clinton supporters displayed in this thread isn't exactly isolated—with so little effort being made to bridge the gap between the two camps, there's going to be a drat good number of Bernie backers who will refuse to hold their nose. Don't blame us, blame the party establishment for setting up such an incredibly divisive candidate to take the nomination.

Queue torrent of contempt for the naive fantasist, because that'll sure make Bernie supporters vote Dem on November 8th.

No, I will actually blame you if you choose not to vote Clinton over Cruz/Trump/Bush/etc just because some dumbass Clinton supporters didn't reach out to you enough. If you really care about the issues Sanders supports, the magnitude of difference between an R and D president outweighs any amount of hurt feelings.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The DNC's handling of the data breach situation has been awful.

You can't cut a campaign off at the knees this close to an election and expect them to do anything but go nuclear.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 18, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

You can't cut a campaign off at the knees this close to an election and expect them to do anything but go nuclear.

You can't violate agreements with the DNC and your database vendor and not expect to get a response. Stupidity all around. Like the data director that didn't get the potential risk of telling employees to dive in. And likewise the DNC's flashback to CREEP response.

The whole thing is stupid and a great reminder of how little people in politics get tech. At least the Democrats can get their machine working on Election Day.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

GalacticAcid posted:

Yeah exactly, as if feminism and class struggle can't mutually reinforce one another.
Literally 3rd_wave_feminism.txt

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Eschers Basement posted:

Long story short, poor whites have a long long history in this country of only wanting economic justice if you can prove you're willing to gently caress over minorities, and walking in here saying, "Maybe minorities should be a little more hosed, have we thought of that?" is not going to go well

No one here is saying that, don't be lovely. I don't really understand why supporting better economic conditions means not supporting other issues, that's loving stupid.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Uh

quote:

@frankthorpNBC
Fired Bernie Sanders staffer on the phone on MSNBC right now appears to be saying he breached the data just to show they could do it.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

GalacticAcid posted:

So stop berating them and show them the error of their ways? Not going to get anywhere by putting them on the defensive. I was going to say that I plan to vote D locally, though my governor is a whore for an NFL franchise owner and my senators are milquetoast liberals who've done fuckall throughout their terms. Definitely will come out for my local Congressman, though.

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Nvm, not chat thread

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That's what happens when you're staffed by goons.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

You can't violate agreements with the DNC and your database vendor and not expect to get a response. Stupidity all around. Like the data director that didn't get the potential risk of telling employees to dive in. And likewise the DNC's flashback to CREEP response.

The whole thing is stupid and a great reminder of how little people in politics get tech. At least the Democrats can get their machine working on Election Day.

If the data breach had been Clinton staffers peering into Sanders lists, do you actually think the Clinton campaign would be locked out?

This seems more of a reminder of how little people in tech get politics. Voter lists are absolutely critical to GOTV efforts. It's literally the worst possible thing they could have done.

quote:

No, I will actually blame you if you choose not to vote Clinton over Cruz/Trump/Bush/etc just because some dumbass Clinton supporters didn't reach out to you enough. If you really care about the issues Sanders supports, the magnitude of difference between an R and D president outweighs any amount of hurt feelings.
You arn't being much of a pragmatist if you expect people to always swallow their pride, since that's just not gonna happen.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I wasn't referring to JFK. I was referring to Johnson. He definitely said some bad things about black people (As did Truman and Wilson), but they shouldn't take credit for doing anything beyond being just pragmatic. If anything, what Eisenhower did was more unprecedented since the Civil Rights Movement had yet to kick off.

So Truman de-segregating the armed forces was nothing and ignorable and was pragmatic (even though you've just said the Civil Rights Movement had yet to kick off). The 1948 civil rights plank of the Democratic National Convention, which caused the Mississippi and Alabama delegates to walk out, was just a calculated reaction to a Civil Rights Movement (which you say had yet to kick off). The fact that Truman emphasized Civil Rights in his campaign so much it caused a party break which everyone assumed would doom his candidacy, well, that was a calculated reaction to a Civil Rights Movement (which you say had yet to kick off).

But Truman used the N-word and had been a Klan member when he was young, so off to the guillotine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Shageletic posted:

I don't even know what Dead Cosmonaunt is arguing here, other than venting incoherently like a teenager having dinner with his parents.

I am just begging the question about the anti-racist credentials of the Democratic Party when they seem keen electing an individual from the most protected class of people this country has ever produced. It's great to have minorities in your party. Now vote with them- not for them.

• Locked thread