Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Nakar posted:

What makes that scene work is the ambiguity. Robo has a theory but it's more a hunch he can't prove, and no one can answer the question of who or what the supposed Entity is. The player is left to draw their own conclusion and you never get an answer.

It never comes up in Cross either--not in any particularly satisfying way.

My theory is that Lavos is a space parasite and the time portals are a process through which the planet effectively tries to produce antibodies to fend it off. Or, since Lavos appears to have some powers of manipulation over time itself, perhaps its presence on the planet already disrupted the flow of time, and the initial portals were just "rips" in the fabric, left over or caused by the force of his impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

BottledBodhisvata posted:

It never comes up in Cross either--not in any particularly satisfying way.

My theory is that Lavos is a space parasite and the time portals are a process through which the planet effectively tries to produce antibodies to fend it off. Or, since Lavos appears to have some powers of manipulation over time itself, perhaps its presence on the planet already disrupted the flow of time, and the initial portals were just "rips" in the fabric, left over or caused by the force of his impact.

I finished CC a few times and I dont think Ive ever understood the plot.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Yeah my theory is it isn't conscious, just distortions caused by dimensional tomfoolery. Lavos rips up spacetime, and something similar happens in Cross.

Though there's some evidence of intent in both games that counters that. Gates always lead to historically significant points to stopping Lavos. The back story of Cross also seems a little too much like external artifice (but since it was started by humans maybe the response just appears similar I dunno).

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Elias_Maluco posted:

I finished CC a few times and I dont think Ive ever understood the plot.

Nakar posted:

Yeah my theory is it isn't conscious, just distortions caused by dimensional tomfoolery. Lavos rips up spacetime, and something similar happens in Cross.

Though there's some evidence of intent in both games that counters that. Gates always lead to historically significant points to stopping Lavos. The back story of Cross also seems a little too much like external artifice (but since it was started by humans maybe the response just appears similar I dunno).

Chrono Cross appears to be attempting to conceive an aftermath to the events of CT, under the notion that "reckless loving about with time manipulation has horrible consequences". Lavos also isn't dead, since he melded with Schala and their combined powers created a pocket dimension. The Time Devourerer is Schala/Lavos combined, so who knows what the gently caress happens with the Lavos you ACTUALLY kill in CT.

Time travel is actually still a huge part of CC's plot, since Chronopolis is what is responsible, ultimately, for happens in the plot. Sort of. Kinda? Maybe?

Uhhh...something...something...where angels lose their way...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Here Mike, this will explain everything. But seriously, it does.
At least I think so, I've never managed to read it all.

But yeah, my understanding is that, since Crono and Friends stopped the Day of Lavos, Belthasar ended up being sent to a happy, normal future utopia of science and not the hellhole that was...2300 AD I think it was? So instead of going crazy and building the CT airship, he instead decided to help these guys invent time travel. Also Lucca had left behind a lot of notes on time travel but the Future Scientists all said she was dumb and ignored her suggestions and tried their own thing. Then Ol Man Bel realized some poo poo was gonna gently caress up because these guys were morons and he left them to gently caress everything up. Which they did.

I think it was Lavos' fault, too?

Also I think the Time Devourer was one of the Lavos Spawn, like you fight on that mountain in CT.

Anyway, on the "Entity' - that scene really bugged me. Not because it was bad, but because it's so wildly out of place in Chrono Trigger.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I always figured the entity was Future Lucca but I never played Cross sooo I dunno.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I thought it was confirmed to be Schala but I guess I just assumed that at some point.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

bloodychill posted:

I always figured the entity was Future Lucca but I never played Cross sooo I dunno.

Well, there's a tiny little problem with that theory...

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

NikkolasKing posted:

Here Mike, this will explain everything. But seriously, it does.
At least I think so, I've never managed to read it all.

But yeah, my understanding is that, since Crono and Friends stopped the Day of Lavos, Belthasar ended up being sent to a happy, normal future utopia of science and not the hellhole that was...2300 AD I think it was? So instead of going crazy and building the CT airship, he instead decided to help these guys invent time travel. Also Lucca had left behind a lot of notes on time travel but the Future Scientists all said she was dumb and ignored her suggestions and tried their own thing. Then Ol Man Bel realized some poo poo was gonna gently caress up because these guys were morons and he left them to gently caress everything up. Which they did.

I think it was Lavos' fault, too?

Also I think the Time Devourer was one of the Lavos Spawn, like you fight on that mountain in CT.

Anyway, on the "Entity' - that scene really bugged me. Not because it was bad, but because it's so wildly out of place in Chrono Trigger.

this whole post is why idc what any nerd says about chrono trigger and cross because they will be cool in my book

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I am insane and while I recognize that CT is a better game on a more objective level I like CC a lot more. The island setting and the weird reflective plot and the ideas behind it all really do it for me.

Plus the game's just loving weird. You find your best friend in another world and because you're dead he's become a lonely creepy cultist worshipping a dumb voodoo scarecrow so you bring him something to remind him of your friendship and the scarecrow comes to life to talk with him and console him. Said doll goes on to have an existential crisis and decide just cause he was made to be an instrument of hate doesn't mean he has to be a bad guy and decides to be a voodoo doll of love and changes his name to Mojoy.

poo poo's great.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 18, 2015

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Well, there's a tiny little problem with that theory...

Haha yeah, I know what happens in Cross that makes that impossible. Maybe it's a Lucca from another dimension where everything turned out Just Fine!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The most hosed up thing about Cross' time/dimension ideas is that you never really saved Lucca's Mom. Oh you saved a Lucca's Mom but it wasn't actually our Lucca's mom. Our Lucca's mom is off in some void of non-existence because her timeline no longer exists.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I am insane and while I recognize that CT is a better game on a more objective level I like CC a lot more. The island setting and the weird reflective plot and the ideas behind it all really do it for me.

Plus the game's just loving weird. You find your best friend in another world and because you're dead he's become a lonely creepy cultist worshipping a dumb voodoo scarecrow so you bring him something to remind him of your friendship and the scarecrow comes to life to talk with him and console him. Said doll goes on to have an existential crisis and decide just cause he was made to be an instrument of hate doesn't mean he has to be a bad guy and decides to be a voodoo doll of love and changes his name to Mojoy.

poo poo's great.

This is how I feel. Trigger does not fall apart like Cross does but Cross is just plain more interesting to me. Plus, in spite of the reputation the game has, not all the characters are one-note schlubs. A lot of them do have reasons to exist and their own decent subplot. It's one reason I used Karsh. Not only was he strong, I liked his story arc.

Plus I honestly like that Serge is...ya know, important? Crono is just some kid who decided one day to save the future. Serge is actually integral to the plot. Crono meanwhile you could replace because there's nothing special about him story-wise.

It's why Magus and Frog were my favorite CT party members. They had actual reasons to be there apart from 'gotta save the future!"

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 18, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Crono kicks rear end and takes names and that's all he needs to do. Well, apart from that bit when he was dead, anyway.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

NikkolasKing posted:

Plus I honestly like that Serge is...ya know, important? Crono is just some kid who decided one day to save the future. Serge is actually integral to the plot. Crono meanwhile you could replace because there's nothing special about him story-wise.

It's why Magus and Frog were my favorite CT party members. They had actual reasons to be there apart from 'gotta save the future!"

That's definitely a "silent protagonst" problem because he actually did do a lot of important stuff and helping his best bud Lucca and a girl he fell in love with at a carnival would be a big enough reason for him to start getting invested initially. He ends up becoming King and stuff too before Cross makes it all go terribly wrong.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

bloodychill posted:

That's definitely a "silent protagonst" problem because he actually did do a lot of important stuff and helping his best bud Lucca and a girl he fell in love with at a carnival would be a big enough reason for him to start getting invested initially. He ends up becoming King and stuff too before Cross makes it all go terribly wrong.

Anything bad that happens to a time traveler is entirely their own fault.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Anything bad that happens to a time traveler is entirely their own fault.

And always was going to be!

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Does Lightning Returns ever give you a second chance on side quests you gently caress up? It's bugging me that I'm barely out of the tutorial and I've already missed one (turning in evidence to the investigator guy) because they were trying to explain 50 things at once at the time and I didn't realize how short a window I had to get back to him.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Erebus posted:

Does Lightning Returns ever give you a second chance on side quests you gently caress up? It's bugging me that I'm barely out of the tutorial and I've already missed one (turning in evidence to the investigator guy) because they were trying to explain 50 things at once at the time and I didn't realize how short a window I had to get back to him.

There's only two missable quests and it's really obvious if you hosed up. Every other quests can be re-done. Also pretty sure that investigator is a main quest, since it gives you the ability to freeze time.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It's listed as a side quest so if I had to guess, you can eventually run out of time on it and they'll just say gently caress it and open all the gates. What about the train station operator? I think that one was permanently missable, according to the description text.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
You can miss those if you dawdle around too long, yes. There's another that requires you keep up with it over the next few days after starting it or you will fail it, but if you don't initiate it you're fine (don't answer the phone). There's also two quests which are mutually-exclusive; doing one requires you to fail the other. The only way to "redo" sidequests is a new cycle.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Are there any more PC ports of console JRPGs on the horizon? It's been a pretty great couple of years for that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Verranicus posted:

Are there any more PC ports of console JRPGs on the horizon? It's been a pretty great couple of years for that.
tales of symphonia is coming out soon, and i think they said that if it and zesty did well they'd port more tales games?

also, disgaea.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dragon's Dogma is coming out January 15th.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So since SMT4 is on sale, here's a series of questions if I should get it:
-I played and liked both Devil Survivors
-Never played any of the console SMTs
-Played persona 3+4
-Didn't finish Strange Journey because of the map mechanic

Does it have a story of agency?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Did you like the SMT gameplay? Then yes get it. It's the same press turn system DDS and SMT 3 had (and persona 3+4 modified). It doesn't even have the greatest SMT sin, the awful loving lovely dungeon design that plagues the franchise, as seen in in Strange Journey.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Tae posted:

Does it have a story of agency?
Not really. It's mostly just you doing as you're told and being snarky about it makes you more Chaotic.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Endorph posted:

tales of symphonia is coming out soon, and i think they said that if it and zesty did well they'd port more tales games?

also, disgaea.

There is rumors of FFX/FFX-2 HD remake coming out on steam.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

just started DQ6 and I don't know what style does but I'm happy it's there

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Ruggington posted:

just started DQ6 and I don't know what style does but I'm happy it's there

it's there for a good reason.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I can't believe you're blowing through these games so quickly. Somebody get Dragon Quest VII in his hands, he might break a speedrun record.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Erebus posted:

It does not, unless you count a new game + as a second chance, but there's only like three quests in the whole game you can actually gently caress up so don't worry about it dude! just know that when people say come back tomorrow or do it by X time you need to do it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

al-azad posted:

I can't believe you're blowing through these games so quickly. Somebody get Dragon Quest VII in his hands, he might break a speedrun record.

Alternatively, convince him that there's nothing between 6 and 8

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The Dark Knight garb you get on the one missable is really mediocre too. It can be potentially good but it's pretty tedious. So if you gently caress that quest up don't worry about it.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Rascyc posted:

The Dark Knight garb you get on the one missable is really mediocre too. It can be potentially good but it's pretty tedious. So if you gently caress that quest up don't worry about it.
I don't think you can fail that quest, it's just mutually-exclusive. You either complete the first quest or intentionally fail the first quest to take the second, which you can't fail short of running out of time.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
After kind of losing me for a while, Lightning Returns is starting to pull me in again. There was kind of a dull period where I didn't seem to be getting many new outfits or big changes and I was kind of stuck in the middle of a few of the main quests while I ran around willy-nilly doing sidequests and it just got a little bland. Especially since a lot of the enemies I was facing were stupid and annoying.

Then a random Reaver I was fighting dropped their rare drop sword and I cleared a few of the main story quests which gave me massive power-ups and now I feel like I'm back on track and enjoying the game.

One thing I don't enjoy? Lumina. I feel like everything in this game would have a lot more impact if Lightning was questioning these things on her own instead of having an ever-present little girl tease her because she doesn't magically know everything about the plot yet. I think they could have taken Lumina out, had the chaos just being a faceless evil that Lightning had to find out about on her own and had her wrestling with all the questions by herself and it would have come across much better. I guess Squeenix doesn't have much faith in its players and figured if they didn't have a character there to spell everything out for us we'd never get it.

And, final nitpick, Lightning shows a lot of emotion for someone who is supposed to have her emotions turned off.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Lumina is the only important NPC character I think is fun. When she told me if I would kill Hope, I was really hoping for a dialogue choice.

I've been pretty much running Quiet Guardian/Purple Lightning/Midnight Dress for a good half of the game at this point. I don't see what's better outside of Equilibrium+.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The suit is fantastic actually

velvet bouncer gives a straight 10% increase in strength for no downside, it's fantastic

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

also

straight up stylin

e:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Tae posted:

Lumina is the only important NPC character I think is fun. When she told me if I would kill Hope, I was really hoping for a dialogue choice.

I've been pretty much running Quiet Guardian/Purple Lightning/Midnight Dress for a good half of the game at this point. I don't see what's better outside of Equilibrium+.
You'll have to rotate for some special bosses. Like the cat girl garb is pretty garbage outside of the two super bosses because it does dual element damage. So after you jump through the hoops to break the boss you switch to cat girl and double dip on the big bonus damage.

Likewise the one that gives you Artemis Arrows hits like a loving Mac Truck with the right setup, but it is ugly as sin and the setup is obtuse for trash. You switch to this when you down sometime and just abuse the gigantic multiplier.

Then you got master monk which also hits like a truck but you need to get perfect hits to do that and that's difficult without practice or ng+ upgraded accessories.

Magic garbs are some of the best in a magical setup but you kind of end up picking ones with a really good level in a spell that is hard to farm (fira and thundara iirc?).

The garbs that cast brave and faith are really good in some setups but I just used consumables on the bosses instead.

Equilibrium+ is obv very good. I liked Quiet Guardian for 100% tanking on the super bosses and it's all around good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I like the generic stuff like Velvet Bouncer, but I'm prioritizing ATB over stats in my choices. That's why I stay away from most of the "start at 50%."

Like, if I could customize it, I would wear the butler outfit all day.