Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

mr.capps posted:

It seems like the perfect thing to grab from the prequels to me.

I know what these words all mean independently but when you string them together like that it just looks like gibberish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Acne Rain posted:

Where is Star Wars beer

I got all 3 of the Hobbit beers.

Even Crouching Tiger has some spinny movies, but like the OT they're rare.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

An actual tactically realistic lightsaber fight would likely be no more than a sword-stroke long, much like those old Kurosawa films. Also, the "meta" might turn into the seemingly counter-intuitive stuff you see here, taking advantage of the fact that you have a light-based weapon that can appear and disappear at will and that you also can affect physics with your mind.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

mr.capps posted:

I left the theater thinking it was plagueis

I thought that guy was killed by Sheev.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Tardigrade posted:

I thought that guy was killed by Sheev.

He was in an EU book, but it's unclear if the direct tie in books on Palatine are canon in the eyes of Disney

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015
Just watching the movie, it felt like Plagueis was made up by Palpatine the whole time in order to convince Anakin to join him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Randumb Thots posted:

Just watching the movie, it felt like Plagueis was made up by Palpatine the whole time in order to convince Anakin to join him.

this is how a normal human would interpret it but nerds take everything literally and also need every tiny thing explained. i've read a number of articles talking about they want the next movie to explain what happened between return of the jedi and the force awakens and where the new order came from when we don't need any of that and would probably be insanely stupid and we already have all the information we need about all of that in the force awakens.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Groovelord Neato posted:

this is how a normal human would interpret it but nerds take everything literally and also need every tiny thing explained. i've read a number of articles talking about they want the next movie to explain what happened between return of the jedi and the force awakens and where the new order came from when we don't need any of that and would probably be insanely stupid and we already have all the information we need about all of that in the force awakens.

Imagination is hard you know

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

mr.capps posted:

I left the theater thinking it was plagueis

That would make sense, but someone on the production team specifically said he wasn't Plaguis.

In reality he's just lord Voldemort

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've read a number of articles talking about they want the next movie to explain what happened between return of the jedi and the force awakens and where the new order came from when we don't need any of that and would probably be insanely stupid and we already have all the information we need about all of that in the force awakens.

Disney will probably make a cartoon about it anyway.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Groovelord Neato posted:

they wrote a book about it. its non canon now. but it was actually pretty good for a star wars book.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they wrote a book about it. its non canon now. but it was actually pretty good for a star wars book.

That said I think some of it has crept back in the new continuity due to the same author writing some of the newer books.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

An actual tactically realistic lightsaber fight would likely be no more than a sword-stroke long, much like those old Kurosawa films. Also, the "meta" might turn into the seemingly counter-intuitive stuff you see here, taking advantage of the fact that you have a light-based weapon that can appear and disappear at will and that you also can affect physics with your mind.

lol at the crossguard being used exclusively as an offensive tool

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

gfanikf posted:

That said I think some of it has crept back in the new continuity due to the same author writing some of the newer books.

They should have executed the EU authors when it was de-canonized

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
the poor guy who wrote the post-original trilogy han/chewbacca fanfictions entire lifes work i sgone..

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Improbable Lobster posted:

They should have executed the EU authors when it was de-canonized
Aaron Allston, the only worthwhile EU author (aside from Matthew Stover I guess), actually did pass away fairly recently. :sigh:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Xenomrph posted:

Aaron Allston, the only worthwhile EU author (aside from Matthew Stover I guess), actually did pass away fairly recently. :sigh:

So now he can force-spin in his grave.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I could see "Creating the Void" show up in a movie at some point. Especially since every lightsaber fight has some moment where they clash real close to each other and push on one another.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

PostNouveau posted:

I could see "Creating the Void" show up in a movie at some point. Especially since every lightsaber fight has some moment where they clash real close to each other and push on one another.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how come people obsess over lightsaber stances and styles and make those diagrams when the entire point is visual storytelling and as rlm correctly points out the emotion behind why the fight is occurring. i mean the prequel fights look silly as gently caress and the more grounded OT/force awakens ones look better in a purely visual sense by being grounded but the bigger failure is we don't care why they're fighting or about who is in the fights.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

how come people obsess over lightsaber stances and styles and make those diagrams when the entire point is visual storytelling and as rlm correctly points out the emotion behind why the fight is occurring. i mean the prequel fights look silly as gently caress and the more grounded OT/force awakens ones look better in a purely visual sense by being grounded but the bigger failure is we don't care why they're fighting or about who is in the fights.

must... know... every.... tiny... detail...

...which ...must ...be ...internally ...consistent

even though the writers themselves didn't know or care

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I thought the books commissioned by Lucas directly, ie the Palpatine and Darth bane books and Shadows of the Empire were still canon

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevvvv

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Booblord Zagats posted:

I thought the books commissioned by Lucas directly, ie the Palpatine and Darth bane books and Shadows of the Empire were still canon
Nope, everything got purged by Disney last year. Anything released after April 2014 is part of the "new" canon though

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Xenomrph posted:

Nope, everything got purged by Disney last year. Anything released after April 2014 is part of the "new" canon though

Yeah, but that got softly rescinded for SWTOR, KOTOR and they're kinda trapped on Shadows because of some dumb marketing agreement from 96 and the fact that it was used to tie a poo poo ton of plotlines from ESB to Jedi as well as the Outrider appearing in ANH and a lot of concept art for Awakens

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Could you elaborate on all of that? This is the first I'd heard about that.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Xenomrph posted:

Could you elaborate on all of that? This is the first I'd heard about that.

I can't find it on the place I found it, but it seems you're right, though Disney is saying they're keeping all the EU characters for use in new canon as needed. So I guess that will do

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Booblord Zagats posted:

Yeah, but that got softly rescinded for SWTOR, KOTOR and they're kinda trapped on Shadows because of some dumb marketing agreement from 96 and the fact that it was used to tie a poo poo ton of plotlines from ESB to Jedi as well as the Outrider appearing in ANH and a lot of concept art for Awakens

good. KOTOR and even parts of SWTOR are the only decent EU poo poo.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Groovelord Neato posted:

Because we already have a real world analogue that showcases all of that and is what the ANH movie was based on in the first place: Kenjutsu. Not only was it spectacular in its technical display for space samurai, but when I used to practice it every fight was tense and easily displays emotion.

So what I'm really arguing here is that those really dumb counterintuitive comics are wrong and should be replaced with Kenjutsu kata. But the stances are extremely important cuz the whole fight is 1-3 moves long and the openings are crucial.

I used to think that maybe they'd incorporate some of the on-off techniques but realize the lightsaber takes a while to power up so it probably won't be as practical as you'd think.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Ugh spergs making GBS threads on TFA for not digressing into a wookieepedia article of exposition about such and such macuffin got where it was or how such and such tech works/is implausible.

Focusing on poo poo like this got us midiclorians rather than good characters and a strong emotional core to the story in the PT.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:agreed: I actually didn't like the bits that were hurf durf callbacks to the EU. This was cool though:

Of course it wasn't unexpected cuz of the X-wing and all but reusing good set ideas is great.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

effectual posted:

I got all 3 of the Hobbit beers.

Even Crouching Tiger has some spinny movies, but like the OT they're rare.

I missed hobbit beer? :( clearly I need to drink more beer

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Ugh spergs making GBS threads on TFA for not digressing into a wookieepedia article of exposition about such and such macuffin got where it was or how such and such tech works/is implausible.

Focusing on poo poo like this got us midiclorians rather than good characters and a strong emotional core to the story in the PT.

hmmm could it be that this has something to do with why spergs love the pt so much

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Acne Rain posted:

I missed hobbit beer? :( clearly I need to drink more beer

http://christmasbeer.net/hobbit-beer-fish-tale-brewing-released/

They were actually pretty good

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

blowfish posted:

hmmm could it be that this has something to do with why spergs love the pt so much

You pretty much have to be autistic to like the prequels

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

TheHoosier posted:

good. KOTOR and even parts of SWTOR are the only decent EU poo poo.
Nah there's a little more than that. Some of the old West End Games stuff is cool, the Xwing/TIE Fighter games are cool, Rogue Squadron comics for the most part, the Tales of the Jefi comics for the most part, the Wraith Squadron books

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Groovelord Neato posted:

Fighting like it looks like they're doing everything they can to desperately try and win can contribute to a well-written fight.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Maybe we'll get the Kotor series 2.0 with the only changes being minor ones to adhere to the new canon, additional content, improved mechanics, modern graphics, the missing 60% of Kotor 2, and the option to gently caress Bastila?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

dog buttz posted:

Maybe we'll get the Kotor series 2.0 with the only changes being minor ones to adhere to the new canon, additional content, improved mechanics, modern graphics, the missing 60% of Kotor 2, and the option to gently caress Bastila?

you could already gently caress bustila in kotor1 right? or who was the female love interest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

blowfish posted:

you could already gently caress bustila in kotor1 right? or who was the female love interest?

Yeah but there wasn't a super awkward scene where Revan takes her into his arms and lays her slowly onto a bed as their models clip through each other and the screen fades to black.

• Locked thread