Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

drat

I am not a fan of the SRV's completely awful radar thing, but maybe I just find really annoying planets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

deadly_pudding posted:

It's the same, yeah. You still log into the Steam version launcher using your Frontier Account, and any Cosmetic poo poo you buy from Frontier's store gets added because it's part of your Frontier Account.

Thanks

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Adult Sword Owner posted:

drat

I am not a fan of the SRV's completely awful radar thing, but maybe I just find really annoying planets

Find the most flat parts of flat planets possible to find materials.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

Find the most flat parts of flat planets possible to find materials.

OR find hilly parts of planets so you can motocross around and do some cool jumps while you look for the one rock among thousands that contains usable material.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Toadsmash posted:

What's the easiest way to get large amounts of phosphorus? Googlefu is still weak on this sort of thing. Get cracking, min/maxers!

You need to equip a detailed surface scanner, to, er, scan the surface of planets, which will then give some indication of mineral composition, and....haha, no, only joking.

That would actually make sense.

As near as I can tell, these things are just unidentified signal sources all over again, it's pure luck.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Ciaphas posted:

Can you prospect in some way other than buying a prospecting drone controller? I already have a collector drone controller but my Hauler is strangely short on internals for the task. (Don't really remember what I had fitted, I'm at work, but I was being cheap, I know that much.)

Besides what Shine posted, the prospector will greatly increase the yield of a rock. I didn't realize you were doing this in a hauler; you can probably skip the prospector in that case. It's very handy as you move up in shop size but it's not like the hauler has the cargo room to take advantage of it anyway.

Just got out of Star Wars, and there wasn't an Elite Dangerous: Horizons trailer :argh:, must be something during the pre-trailer commercials or not showing at every chain.

Sard fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 18, 2015

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Just my opinion here. We need to man up and post these opinions in the brown see if we want next year to be better.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Sekenr posted:

Just my opinion here. We need to man up and post these opinions in the brown see if we want next year to be better.

Probably this^

I still blame the whole "SRV fuel" thing on letting the fuel rats post unchallenged on the brown sea.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Astroniomix posted:

I still blame the whole "SRV fuel" thing on letting the fuel rats post unchallenged on the brown sea.

seconded

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Yeah, the crafting is a nice idea, but the fuel thing just feels like a grind.

Still have yet to see one of the T2 materials period.

Has anyone figured out if high metal/metal-rich make a difference yet? Metal-rich planets are almost as rare as earth-likes, so that's going to be a serious pain if they end up being the only viable option for farming fuel mats for extended deep space treks!

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 18, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sard posted:

Besides what Shine posted, the prospector will greatly increase the yield of a rock. I didn't realize you were doing this in a hauler; you can probably skip the prospector in that case. It's very handy as you move up in shop size but it's not like the hauler has the cargo room to take advantage of it anyway.

Just got out of Star Wars, and there wasn't an Elite Dangerous: Horizons trailer :argh:, must be something during the pre-trailer commercials or not showing at every chain.

Yeah, I'm just trying random poo poo for the sake of trying it while I play. I'm in no major hurry to get to the big ships, though once I have enough total assets to buy a Cobra MkIII I might sell everything and get that, just to use it as a generalist do-everything ship until I know what I really enjoy.

Smuggling via mail slot runs is funny, I'll say that, but I don't really know how to do it beyond when missions instruct me to do so, like where to get and sell the slavesgood of dubious legality for max monies.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm usually okay to unfit and sell the basic discovery scanner every ship seems to come with, right? Is it ever worth having a discovery scanner if I'm not out exploring the wilds of space?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

I'm usually okay to unfit and sell the basic discovery scanner every ship seems to come with, right? Is it ever worth having a discovery scanner if I'm not out exploring the wilds of space?

You'll still run across uncharted systems even in the bubble, and you can make a decent amount of money on the side if you just honk every unexplored system you pass through on your way to wherever you're going. Unless I'm really strapped for space, I tend to plonk an advanced scanner on my ships for that reason.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I like the SRV fuel thing on paper because it gives you more of an ongoing objective to chase as you explore in deep space, but if it really is 100% random and you can't do anything to speed it up but throw more time at it... Oy. That is not how you take steps toward improving exploration's profitability OR fun factor, guys!

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Toadsmash posted:

I like the SRV fuel thing on paper because it gives you more of an ongoing objective to chase as you explore in deep space, but if it really is 100% random and you can't do anything to speed it up but throw more time at it... Oy. That is not how you take steps toward improving exploration's profitability OR fun factor, guys!

It has something to do with the type of system on the mining scale (depleted to pristine) and the planet type, other than that the details aren't known yet.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Space Skeleton posted:

It has something to do with the type of system on the mining scale (depleted to pristine) and the planet type, other than that the details aren't known yet.

This reminds me, where do you see whether a system is Depleted, Pristine, or somewhere in the middle? I couldn't see anything on either the galaxy or system map. Does it vary from belt to belt/planet to planet in a system, or is it set per system?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Toadsmash posted:

Literally have spent less than an hour in an SRV since Horizons dropped.

Never don't blow up rocks.

SRV fuel is a tedious mechanic but finding the materials for it also isn't the insurmountable challenge some folks are making it out to be.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Toadsmash posted:

Finding humanity on planets 1200 ly away from the Bubble is weird too, but then it occurred to me I went out there in a highly traveled corridor (Barnard's Loop is obviously a popular destination with explorers because it's loving cool to watch it slowly grow and fill the sky :hellyeah:) and out of 80 odd jumps and checking the system map each jump (old habit), I found a total of TWO that hadn't been discovered by anyone.

All this data which was sold to an organization that turns around and sells it to companies and other interested parties. Suddenly finding all these forward operating bases makes sense, and why they would have tons of coffee, tea, meat and grain on them.

Or it could be another immersion breaking thing like how an NPC Eagle interdicted one of the first few people to visit Sag A*

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

This reminds me, where do you see whether a system is Depleted, Pristine, or somewhere in the middle? I couldn't see anything on either the galaxy or system map. Does it vary from belt to belt/planet to planet in a system, or is it set per system?

You click on a planet with rings or an asteroid belt and it will tell you in the info on the left side.

Also regarding materials: if you get to know what the different materials look and sound like on the wave scanner you can pinpoint what you want from very far away. The waves are unique up and down, the width is the distance (wider = further). The sounds are also unique but some find them harder to distinguish.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Ciaphas posted:

To see the abundance of minerals (Depleted, Pristine, Common, and, uh, one I'm forgetting), someone has to have scanned the body in question with a Detailed Surface Scanner. If the only scan has been the Basic Discovery honk, all you get is the type, but not the abundance, of resources.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Toadsmash posted:

Well I'm at about 50% of my original fuel tank on my SRV and I already have materials for 3 refuels (plus 3 free canisters of indium and a 1000 credits bounty voucher for a wanted sentry skimmer), once I got a hang on how the silly wave scanner works rocks weren't hard to find at all.

It's a pain if you just wanna gently caress around but if you devote some time to actually search for materials you'll be set for quite a while, and the SRV is refueled automatically when you dock at an outpost or station so unless you really want to dick around for hours on end you'll have no trouble. Though I think ammo and hull isn't refilled this way but not really sure.

Pro tip: look for flat land, hilly terrain slows you down quite a bit.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Literally have spent less than an hour in an SRV since Horizons dropped.

Never don't blow up rocks.

SRV fuel is a tedious mechanic but finding the materials for it also isn't the insurmountable challenge some folks are making it out to be.

yeah if you're doing anything in an SRV at all, just following the geiger counter sounds will lead you to gunpowder :confuoot:

That having been said: while it is trivially easy, it's also one of those things that 1. Shouldn't have been in a first place, and 2. Is only still a thing because :frontear: doesn't want to admit they hosed up making it a thing, so they're making it as trivial as possible without actually removing it. Which is kind of a lovely mindset to have.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
As far as I can tell the biggest thing with materials is going to a pristine system as that seems to kick out more pinata rocks. I haven't personally determined a difference between a rocky body or ice body or metal body but that doesn't mean there isn't one, just if there is the rng overwrites it. You'll find metallic asteroids on everything after all. And like has been said go to the flattest, brightest area to generate the materials. It's ground USSs, it does not take into account hills, mountains or colors on the planet surfaces for generation so might as well make it easy.
Now if only I could turn up my wave scanner volume so I didn't have to stop every once and a while to listen to it since the tires are louder than it.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I do feel like they may have stealth buffed phosphorous' drop rate seeing as I don't have 20x as much sulfur this time around.

But yea, once you get 2-3 refills fuel becomes a non-issue.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Sure is quiet out here.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

So does the Federal Gunship have any significantly improved qualities compared to the Federal Dropship (aside from the 2x C1 hardpoints :v: ) or is it just a sidegrade that'll be able to carry a fighter at some point? I'm wondering if I should ever bother getting one for when I feel like flying something that's not an FAS but don't have a Fed Corvette yet.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TomR posted:

Sure is quiet out here.

Not going to lie, having a game like this and sound-cancelling headphones doesn't beat real life when it's available, but it's surely a viable alternative when you're in the middle of suburbia and 3 hours from the nearest quiet scenic area.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

KakerMix posted:

As far as I can tell the biggest thing with materials is going to a pristine system as that seems to kick out more pinata rocks. I haven't personally determined a difference between a rocky body or ice body or metal body but that doesn't mean there isn't one, just if there is the rng overwrites it. You'll find metallic asteroids on everything after all. And like has been said go to the flattest, brightest area to generate the materials. It's ground USSs, it does not take into account hills, mountains or colors on the planet surfaces for generation so might as well make it easy.
Now if only I could turn up my wave scanner volume so I didn't have to stop every once and a while to listen to it since the tires are louder than it.

Even in a pristine system almost all of the materials were Iron, Nickle, Sulfur and Phosphorus.

My biggest bitch about the fuel and ammo in SRVs is that it gave them an excuse to make 90% of the drops poo poo.

You drive around in a buggy shoot rocks that let you... drive around in a buggy and shoot more rocks. So you can drive around in a buggy and shoot more rocks. All while hoping you get something that doesn't suck.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Just been to a metal rich, major reserves planet and it's throwing manganese and zinc at me. Don't know if it's actually of any use, but hey.

I think common-major-pristine affects rock spawn rate, while materials are determined by icy-rocky-metal rich, or more probably both have an effect but it's weighted somehow

I guess the jackpot would be a metallic, pristine planet just like for mining but good luck finding that.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

I have at least one of almost all of the basic synths by now, but the standard and premium stuff is borderline nonexistent.

But at least my quad-multicannon FDL can stay out longer without having to dock up and reload.

EDIT: also "depleted"/"pristine" appears to affect how many chunks the rocks spit out when you shoot them rather than how often the rock pinatas appear.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
For those who don't know, frag cannons had their ammo tripled this patch (from 30 to 90) so they are a much more viable option than before. If you're using a ship that can easily stay on something rear end (like a FAS or Vulture), then they can do very nice burst damage. I put a pair of C3 frags on my FAS and a three-shot burst from each took an unshielded AspE from 100% to 7% hull.

FAS with two C2 G/beams and two C3 F/frags is a fun loadout.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I might try a Beam/Shotgun setup on my Vulture. :allears:

Twin beams are nice but kinda dull, they drain the capacitor so fast I feel like I have to have 4 pips in WEP, even with an A-class distributor. They sure do tear poo poo up though, one capacitor's worth will strip or mostly strip the shields off most ships.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Arrath posted:

Twin beams are nice but kinda dull, they drain the capacitor so fast I feel like I have to have 4 pips in WEP, even with an A-class distributor. They sure do tear poo poo up though, one capacitor's worth will strip or mostly strip the shields off most ships.

Before the patch I switched my Vulture to a Beam/Cannon setup and it was lots of fun, so Beam/Frag is probably a good match as well; though IIRC cannons draw a lot less power than frags so it might be a bit of a pain to make it work on a Vulture.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TorakFade posted:

Just been to a metal rich, major reserves planet and it's throwing manganese and zinc at me. Don't know if it's actually of any use, but hey.

I think common-major-pristine affects rock spawn rate, while materials are determined by icy-rocky-metal rich, or more probably both have an effect but it's weighted somehow

I guess the jackpot would be a metallic, pristine planet just like for mining but good luck finding that.

There are dozens of them in the Outer Arm. You just have to play about ten hours straight to fly over there. :v:

alr
May 14, 2009

More than 15km deep and bugs out your FSD if you try and jump from the bottom of the crater. Couldn't ramp the SRV into it as the walls were too steep to scale in the place I originally landed.

Space is weird. :goatsecx:

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Shine posted:

Before the patch I switched my Vulture to a Beam/Cannon setup and it was lots of fun, so Beam/Frag is probably a good match as well; though IIRC cannons draw a lot less power than frags so it might be a bit of a pain to make it work on a Vulture.

I am currently dicking about with different weapons in Suziki Terminal at Lumastaya system, and this place seems to sell everything you would ever want for combat ships, including the elusive class-3 gimballed beams.

It has a high intensity combat zone and hazardous RES nearby to test out poo poo too.

And with twin medium fixed cannons on a FAS...something is very wrong - I am taking out maybe 2-3% hull on a stationary, shield-less, power plant at 0% Python with a double hit.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Why are all these newbies running away when I interdict them. I just want to give them some gold I found on a planet :saddowns:

Also lol:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

alr posted:

More than 15km deep and bugs out your FSD if you try and jump from the bottom of the crater. Couldn't ramp the SRV into it as the walls were too steep to scale in the place I originally landed.

Space is weird. :goatsecx:

It looks like an rear end in a top hat. I love space!

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Arrath posted:

I used to do beam/shotgun, it was fun as hell a while ago, I bet it's amazing with the larger ammo store. The vulture's cap can fire a single beam almost forever with 4 weapon pips and a single C3 beam is enough to kill pretty much anything. I used to save the shotgun for when I was outnumbered and needed to finish someone off real fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
What's a reasonable bounty hunting kit? I have a few space millions that I haven't blown on Bentleys, and Anacondas and have a Python and Asp currently in my garage.

• Locked thread