Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You can find some pretty decent armour around (Stronium Xe-doms in Cauldros in particular drop heavy armour but be careful with them. They also drop x50 series Drones, which own hard) but you could always make some augs and switch them out when you get new parts or eventually a 60 Skell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm figuring I'll get to the end of the story missions and then move on from the game. I'm not particularly excited by Skell Raiding, and the game's combat mechanics aren't engaging enough for me. I'm probably gonna finish chapter 12 (I assume that's the last one? Still on chapter 10), plant all the probes, and do some of the more interesting missions, then bail. The game's good when it's good, it's just maybe 50% good.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

zedprime posted:

The excavator is in a weird position because it requires some tough materials at a time you are probably just saving for an Ares, but not a lot of them and I don't regret making one because it took junk and not cash, which I am not yet made of because I somehow avoided picking up every research probe.

Its got a super awesome potential compared to a 50 Amdusias which let me kill the swolest prone for a katana a few times even though I couldn't one shot him. Its a cockpit time machine if your past experiences are with normal level 30 and 50 skells.

When/how do you get the dlc skells anyway? I'm assuming they're from an affinty quest but do they have weird prereqs or something?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Improbable Lobster posted:

When/how do you get the dlc skells anyway? I'm assuming they're from an affinty quest but do they have weird prereqs or something?
They are craftables from the final affinity quest in each of Boze, HB, and Alexa's line. Boze and HB are a case of blink and you'll miss the time when they are useful for anything but cool cosmetic reskins because they make level 30 frames and you unlock their final affinity at level 37 following chapter 9, but Alexa's isn't an awful idea to plan ahead for by proactively getting her to 4 affinity and you can even do it as early as following chapter 11.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Speaking of which, what drops level 60 ground/skell armor of the intergalactic variety?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Speaking of which, what drops level 60 ground/skell armor of the intergalactic variety?

Missed opportunity not having Beasty Blattas that only drop Intergalactic items...

Edit: Or just make three legendary named ones.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Suaimhneas posted:

Strange alien compulsions like "wanting to take a shower"? Typical goon

I'm pretty sure she says something about her skin being really dry and peeling and then having a strong urge to have a shower, after it's clear the monsters in the plant are the former scientists who succumbed to some kind of body horror infection. Made sense to me at least when given the option to keep her in sight and stop her doing anything stupid. At the very least I thought it was one of the better multiple choice quests because the information you need to get the good ending is contained within the same scenario, unlike say the helicopter quest in Noctilum where you can only bad bad endings unless you overhear a random NPC in NLA

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
Well I finally finished Chapter 12 sadly it leaves more questions than answers although I totally called Elma being a Xeno considering we had to get the advanced tech from somewhere and we knew the invasion was coming means somebody on the White Whale was a Xeno informant. I would love if there was a sequel to this game to answer everything but it seems like the director wants to move away from the series.

Now I get to fly around blowing crap up and getting to 60 and playing this game like Monster Hunter from here on out. Oh and cleaning up all these Affinity missions and meet people I haven't yet like Phog and Mia.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Anything tyrant higher than 58 should. You just have to farm them and hope you get the rarity you want with the stats you want.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.
So I just did the quest "Cavern Crushers" and are there any consequences to bringing those Cavern Clan Prone to NLA or does that happen regardless of your choices on that quest?

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Well, gently caress. Maybe I should have read the whole manual.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Dastardly posted:

Well, gently caress. Maybe I should have read the whole manual.

They're still the best squad tasks. Whenever I see a bar full of tyrants (and actually care about doing squad stuff) I just join another one

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Blaine the Train posted:

So I just did the quest "Cavern Crushers" and are there any consequences to bringing those Cavern Clan Prone to NLA or does that happen regardless of your choices on that quest?

yeah that's supposed to happen.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Looper posted:

They're still the best squad tasks. Whenever I see a bar full of tyrants (and actually care about doing squad stuff) I just join another one

Whenever I see one of the the tyrant ones I'm like "really? come on. stop wasting my time." but since my approach to squad stuff has always been to do it if it's convenient, it hasn't bothered me. I did notice goon squad was stamping them out in like 10 minutes over the last couple days so that we had a lot of time to do multiplayer missions which is pretty neat :)

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
I'm convinced the tyrant ones are made for people that have an ares or decked out mastema.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
So I didn't read the bit in the manual about Skell insurance and now I've gotta be super careful where I take my starter Skell until I hit level 30. Anyone have some advice for gaining a few levels between 25-30?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Reiterpallasch posted:

So I didn't read the bit in the manual about Skell insurance and now I've gotta be super careful where I take my starter Skell until I hit level 30. Anyone have some advice for gaining a few levels between 25-30?

Equip insectesoid augs and the weapon that does bonus to insectesoids and bonus from the rear and kill the spiders in Noctilum's Weeping Forest. Get up behind one, unload everything you've got, return to waypoint and restart. can get to level 50 or so in under an hour.

You don't need to worry about your starter skell, you'll sell it before it's destroyed. Plus if you perfect the ejecting QTE it doesn't cost you an insurance hit anyway. Just save before each run.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 18, 2015

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'm pretty sure she says something about her skin being really dry and peeling and then having a strong urge to have a shower, after it's clear the monsters in the plant are the former scientists who succumbed to some kind of body horror infection. Made sense to me at least when given the option to keep her in sight and stop her doing anything stupid. At the very least I thought it was one of the better multiple choice quests because the information you need to get the good ending is contained within the same scenario, unlike say the helicopter quest in Noctilum where you can only bad bad endings unless you overhear a random NPC in NLA

Yeah I know, I made the same choice, I just couldn't resist such an easy joke :v:

On a related note, when I got that quest about rescuing the tree clan guy's son, I already had a bunch of the herbs just from random exploring. Now I wonder if I still would've got the prompt to use them if I hadn't got the info by rescuing the other two guys first?

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
If I'm forced to finish all Squad Tasks by myself then the rest of my team should get negative reward tickets. :colbert:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Suaimhneas posted:

Yeah I know, I made the same choice, I just couldn't resist such an easy joke :v:

On a related note, when I got that quest about rescuing the tree clan guy's son, I already had a bunch of the herbs just from random exploring. Now I wonder if I still would've got the prompt to use them if I hadn't got the info by rescuing the other two guys first?

Please tell me where you got the herbs. I misread the notification due to it being too small and thought it said that they were given to me only to get the bad end. Saved just before it though so I can fix that error but still

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Please tell me where you got the herbs. I misread the notification due to it being too small and thought it said that they were given to me only to get the bad end. Saved just before it though so I can fix that error but still

Collectible along the southern coast of Oblivia. High rarity, though, so expect to be collecting for a bit.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I guess I must have picked them up during all the time I spent scouring the south coast looking for the cave with the bug-something squashes for the skell license quest :suicide:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

PRADA SLUT posted:

Equip insectesoid augs and the weapon that does bonus to insectesoids and bonus from the rear and kill the spiders in Noctilum's Weeping Forest. Get up behind one, unload everything you've got, return to waypoint and restart. can get to level 50 or so in under an hour.

You don't need to worry about your starter skell, you'll sell it before it's destroyed. Plus if you perfect the ejecting QTE it doesn't cost you an insurance hit anyway. Just save before each run.

I assume you mean killing the spiders while driving a skell? Can my starting skell seriously one-shot a level 50 mob at 25?

Also I can't find the Weeping Whitewood for the life of me and the internet isn't being very helpful other than "to the northeast". Maybe I'll just try swimming around the continent or something...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Suaimhneas posted:

I guess I must have picked them up during all the time I spent scouring the south coast looking for the cave with the bug-something squashes for the skell license quest :suicide:

The best part of exploring and looking for stuff like that cave is then finding that you finished a dozen gathering quests you never knew about in the process so don't feel too bad. I spent way too long up at the lake near the Nopon encampment because that's where the internet said it was easiest to find. The internet was wrong.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Reiterpallasch posted:

I assume you mean killing the spiders while driving a skell? Can my starting skell seriously one-shot a level 50 mob at 25?

Also I can't find the Weeping Whitewood for the life of me and the internet isn't being very helpful other than "to the northeast". Maybe I'll just try swimming around the continent or something...

I was just about two-shotting level 50 spiders with those kind of augments at level 30, with the Amdusias and its scythe. I don't know about doing it with the starting skell, but if those are too hard then there's some spiders at around level 40 on Talon Rock's third terrace that you should certainly be able to manage. Don't forget to make some melee accuracy and ranged accuracy augments too or you'll miss a lot.

I managed to find Weeping Whitewood by going up on one of those huge rock bridges above the central area of Noctilum and jumping the gap in my skell. It needed a driving start to build up speed but I managed it! Then I discovered there was an easier way up there from near a ganglion camp, but gently caress it my way was cooler

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

The ejection QTE is really easy, don't worry too much about it

alternatively join the prospectors and be swimming in salvage tickets

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Reiterpallasch posted:

Skells tricked for damage can easily kill some things twenty levels or more higher than them. A melee-beam-focused medium melee Skell with a scythe, for example, can easily kill much higher-level Qmoevas (like the ones found on the ocean islands or the ones patrolling the bottom of the eastern base in Oblivia) and this can result in getting tons of levels extremely fast. I had to avoid doing it too much after giggling like a maniac the first time doing it because it can frankly break the game entirely. My Rook is badly overleveled for a lot of available quest content as it is.

Also I occasionally see people hating on medium Skells and fuckers, what are you all even on about. My melee-beam-armor Lailah is completely amazing and I love it. The level 50 version is going to be bonkers (if expensive).

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i, uh, drove my skell into a bottomless chasm in oblivia

twice

these things have the turning radius of a 747

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You won't oneshot the spiders at 20, but you'll have the DPS to take them down without losses. Once you hit 30 you can just get an upgraded skell and do it instead.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Reiterpallasch posted:

i, uh, drove my skell into a bottomless chasm in oblivia

twice

these things have the turning radius of a 747

The vehicle mode controls are kind of goofy, especially since you can't reverse or really brake. You can do SICK DRIFTS, but that doesn't help near a bottomless chasm so much :v:

(it's especially annoying because you can watch an NPC Skell go in reverse near Armory Alley at times :argh: let us do that, game!)

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah baby, taking the prototype flight pack for a test-run and I'm officially the first BLADE to reach the top of Talon Ro-

:stare:

Kind of same thing about exploring this brave new world and setting up probes where no one has gone befo- oh hey, BLADE already setup camps absolutely everywhere.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mango Polo posted:

Kind of same thing about exploring this brave new world and setting up probes where no one has gone befo- oh hey, BLADE already setup camps absolutely everywhere.

I liked how XB handled it, specifically that you saw the Bionis for the first time through the eyes of Shulk and Reyn and piggybacked on the nostalgia of Dunban and Rikki.

In XBX it kinda makes sense though, the teams have had 2 months to scope the place out and were probably hard up for resources so were forced to explore. STILL.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Mango Polo posted:

It's the one (minor) problem with the open world. It would be neat if the world was a little more dynamic like you didn't see the camps the first time but then when you came back they were setup, kind of like with some of the Fallout 4 quests. They'd require you to do something at a location that changes the landscape and after you come back, everything looks very different. The quarry immediately comes to mind.

Considering Takahashi is a fan of western open world games though, I guess we know what kind of mechanics he'll bring and improve to the next big Xeno game!

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 18, 2015

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

(it's especially annoying because you can watch an NPC Skell go in reverse near Armory Alley at times :argh: let us do that, game!)

You can reverse in vehicle mode, hold L2. You kinda..gotta come to a stop first though, so it won't save you from plunging into that abyss.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

MohShuvuu posted:

Go over to Badr Basin in Sylvalum and kill the puges near the data probe. Repeat until you have an orange rarity Phoenix and G-Buster. If you did one of the affinity missions that reward you with the hex partican, that will help with killing them much faster. Once you have the Phoenix, it helps to have an Amdusias because their armor comes with thermal boost and that improves Phoenix's damage output. As for augments, accuracy is probably the only thing you really need to guarantee that you don't miss. You can use this setup for the rest of the story and endgame farming for the Ares 90.

Is it okay if I replace Phoenix with a augmented Detonation Hammer with accuracy XX, Weapon Damage XX and Remove thermal damage resistance XX? I'm thinking of naming it Hephaestus to go with a whole Greek pantheon theme of skells.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Man, Yelv knows how to break a scene by leveling up. Spoilers for Murderess' second affinity mission.

Serial killer: NOOOO GOD DON'T LEAVE ME OUT HERE *crunch munch etc*
Yelv: YEAAAH! I'm movin' on up!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Nagi is the best character in the game, has best conversations. Best party overall for maximum banter is Nagi, HB and Murderess, IMHO.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm trying to get through all of this character poo poo and the game just keeps throwing more characters at me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Xenoblade Chronicles X is the best RPG to ever not have any characters.

• Locked thread