Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Trabisnikof posted:

Or there's an alternative explanation that this isn't a grand conspiracy? Instead an overreaction from an organization that's not known for its technical knowhow. Watergate comes to mind quickly and that comparison sheds light on the response.
I'm not suggesting that there is a conspiracy, and I don't think there is a conspiracy. Rather, I think DWS has her head so far up Hillary's rear end in a top hat that there need not be any conspiracy, and that she gravely miscalculated here and probably the Clinton campaign is nearly as pissed off about this as any Bernie supporter.

And I'm a Hillary supporter, by the way, converted from supporting Sanders before any of this went down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I should be mad at him for using his Twitter account for pure trolling, but he's really good at it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Iron Rose posted:

From an insider friend of mine who organizes fieldwork for campaigns.

well this wont end well. i guess the worst that can happen is the dems lose a bunch of hipsters.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Kilroy posted:

I'm not suggesting that there is a conspiracy, and I don't think there is a conspiracy. Rather, I think DWS has her head so far up Hillary's rear end in a top hat that there need not be any conspiracy, and that she gravely miscalculated here and probably the Clinton campaign is nearly as pissed off about this as any Bernie supporter.

And I'm a Hillary supporter, by the way, converted from supporting Sanders before any of this went down.

I completely agree. It's a difficult decision though- they have to be punished some how. I hope that the access is quietly restored tonight or early AM and then the issue primarily becomes about the stolen voter data.

Shutting off the access for any long-term period would definitely hurt the Democratic party (and Clinton), regardless of the severity of what happened.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im getting reports that Abis Mal has offered to serve in an advisory role to the interim Agrabahian government

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mitt Romney posted:

I completely agree. It's a difficult decision though- they have to be punished some how. I hope that the access is quietly restored tonight or early AM and then the issue primarily becomes about the stolen voter data.

Shutting off the access for any long-term period would definitely hurt the Democratic party (and Clinton), regardless of the severity of what happened.

Yup, a sanction of some sort is in order, but the DNC directing the vendor to breech the contract and then having DWS go on CNN to spin on this is just total incompetence.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Joementum posted:

I should be mad at him for using his Twitter account for pure trolling, but he's really good at it.

Speaking of living in a fantasy land, a moment of Morris:

quote:

Money Doesn’t Matter
By Dick Morris on December 16, 2015

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Joementum posted:

Yup, a sanction of some sort is in order, but the DNC directing the vendor to breech the contract and then having DWS go on CNN to spin on this is just total incompetence.

I doubt it's an actual breach of the contract. The provision that Sanders campaign is pointing to is about termination of the entire agreement, not about specific services, and not having seen the entirety, most data services contracts include cutoff provisions for misuse or misaccess.

(Besides, their remedy for breach of contract - say, by not providing access to data - is to send a letter and wait 10 days for cure, according to them.)

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Considering that Clinton and Sanders are both running to in part be the leader of the Democratic party, I don't think either are of them are showing great leadership qualities right now.

Can't help but wonder how Obama would have handled this.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 19, 2015

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

The Iron Rose posted:

Not surprising for an organization that attracts techbros.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

Considering that Clinton and Sanders are both running to in part be the leader of the Democratic party, I don't think either are of them are showing great leadership qualities right now.

O'Malley looks off into the distance, "it's time."

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Mulva posted:

Not surprising for an organization that attracts techbros.

Since I'm shocked no one has posted it yet, the staffer who got fired:

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

Kalman posted:

Of COURSE that's his picture. It's almost as perfect as Trump's doctor.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Kalman posted:

dude is working for the wrong campaign imo

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Aliquid posted:

dude is working for the wrong campaign imo

Lessig's already shut down.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ugh on one hand it'd finally get Florida Dems to run someone other than Crist and Sink.

Otoh it's loving DWS who would lose worse than either

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Kalman posted:

He had to help the Bernie revolution stop the 1% by any means. It's not wrong when my side does it for a good cause!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This is the audit list that shows Sanders staffer "rdrapkinNH" searching and saving Clinton data lists

http://www.scribd.com/doc/293643104/Sanders-Campaign-Audit-Sheet-1

More

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/bernie-sanders-campaign-penalized-dnc-after-improperly-accessing-clinton-voter-n482341

quote:

... A series of documents outlining an audit trail maintained by the database company, obtained and reviewed by NBC News, shows that the four individuals spent a total of about 40 minutes conducting searches of the Clinton data. Those searches included terms that point to Sanders' team gaining access to proprietary lists from more than 10 early voting states of Clinton's likely supporters as well as lists for Sanders backers. That data was saved to personal folders.

It also appears that Drapkin "suppressed" two folders after the database company became aware of the breach...

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Ugh on one hand it'd finally get Florida Dems to run someone other than Crist and Sink.

Otoh it's loving DWS who would lose worse than either
Maybe the reason she has "no other way to advance her career" is that she's a lovely person? If she can win the Senate seat, great, otherwise I see no better career path for her than to go back to being just another nobody in the House.

Bring back Dean.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

It's kinda sad that this software has better audit trails than many voting machines.

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

Could you ask what your friend means when he or she says, "Sanders' shady operation?"

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

It's time to go nuclear. Now's not the time to play the "let's talk about the issues" game. It's time for all-out war. On her character. Everything. I hope Bernie unleashes everyone in his campaign that wants to do that and tells them to go wild.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Naga Warlord posted:

Could you ask what your friend means when he or she says, "Sanders' shady operation?"

Presumably, specifically those dudes who just got caught?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Naga Warlord posted:

It's just a den of thievery, common knowledge at this point. :ninja:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Gail Wynand posted:

It's time to go nuclear. Now's not the time to play the "let's talk about the issues" game. It's time for all-out war. On her character. Everything. I hope Bernie unleashes everyone in his campaign that wants to do that and tells them to go wild.

You really want Fallout to be real don't you?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Gail Wynand posted:

Source your quotes

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Source your quotes

It's /r/sandersforpresident

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Welp!

(Hillary's Press Secretary)

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Kalman posted:

Is his hair also coming out of his pocket?

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Man, the debate tomorrow night is going to be drat entertaining.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

So since permanently cutting off access is giving a campaign a death sentence, and which I would pray to God DWS would want to avoid doing, what kind of punishment can actually be leveled against a campaign? Can they be fined?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Freakazoid_ posted:

The primaries are no longer about finding an acceptable candidate we can all agree on, but a circus act for all walks of life on the internet to extract schadenfreude from whomever they think the losing side will be. We have no idea who we're really electing anymore, only our thirst for psychological bloodlust matters.

Planet Earth about to be recycled

It sounds like there was a glitch and the longhair decided to take advantage of it before it was fixed - so now the Hillary campaign is going to attack Bernie on property rights

The axe must be laid at the root of the tree - we are all in this together.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Raskolnikov38 posted:

So since permanently cutting off access is giving a campaign a death sentence, and which I would pray to God DWS would want to avoid doing, what kind of punishment can actually be leveled against a campaign? Can they be fined?

Well couldn't a fine be spun as forcing Sanders to give money to the Hillary campaign before he loses?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

Well couldn't a fine be spun as forcing Sanders to give money to the Hillary campaign before he loses?

When Bernie loses the primary don't all his funds raised go into general coffers? Just like how the voter databases become fungible.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 19, 2015

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Maybe roll back Sander's data to the day of the breech? That would probably be a campaign death sentence in all but name though.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Dean delivered the Presidency and several governers in states Dems haven't won in years and that wasn't good enough,but Debbie cost Dems the house until at least 2020 with her lovely as GOTV efforts. Why is she not gone yet? The gently caress?

The DNC needs to get it poo poo together if this is how they're going to act unless Trump or Carson wins (carson's not but trump has a non 0 chance I guess) They're going to lose.

Honestly the Democratic party is more likely to shake up than the Republicans think about it. They don't have the house or Senate, most of their victories are through the judiciary, because tea partiers sabotages themselves or executive orders not the legislator. And they can't even think about controlling the house until the next census barring some huge sweep that would be the death knell of a party for a generation in any other scenario but would only barely get them the house in these case. I mean seriously ugh get your poo poo together .

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Maybe roll back Sander's data to the day of the breech? That would probably be a campaign death sentence in all but name though.

The breach was Wednesday.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

McDowell posted:

When Bernie loses the primary don't all his funds raised go into general coffers? Just like how the voter databases becomes fungible.

Well, the candidates are to choose how much they put into general coffers, and how much they choose to give directly to fellow party member campaigns, iiirc. So if he really wants to make sure the Democratic challenger in Texas district #23 gets a lot of help, he can transfer that money.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I don't see why the Sanders campaign would need to be punished, it was clearly the mistake of a specific individual, and they've fired him. As far as I'm concerned the DNC has exactly the right approach here: The Sanders campaign can regain access as soon as it can show that it no longer has any misbegotten data. A slap on the wrist to be sure, but that's all that it required. We're all friends here after all, in spite of the opinions of a few folks who seem to want to go to war with each other just like the Republicans have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

DeusExMachinima posted:

He had to help the Bernie revolution stop the 1% by any means. It's not wrong when my side does it for a good cause!

Explain to us why we should continue to have such a high wealth gap. Be clear, and stop poo poo posting.

SirKibbles posted:

Dean delivered the Presidency and several governers in states Dems haven't won in years and that wasn't good enough,but Debbie cost Dems the house until at least 2020 with her lovely as GOTV efforts. Why is she not gone yet? The gently caress?

The DNC needs to get it poo poo together if this is how they're going to act unless Trump or Carson wins (carson's not but trump has a non 0 chance I guess) They're going to lose.

Honestly the Democratic party is more likely to shake up than the Republicans think about it. They don't have the house or Senate, most of their victories are through the judiciary, because tea partiers sabotages themselves or executive orders not the legislator. And they can't even think about controlling the house until the next census barring some huge sweep that would be the death knell of a party for a generation in any other scenario but would only barely get them the house in these case. I mean seriously ugh get your poo poo together .

I am convinced that the Dems are at the moment where the GOP was in the late 60s early 70, with moderates generally leading the party but with the hardened base finally waking up and demanding to actually have a voice.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 19, 2015

• Locked thread