Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kilroy posted:

Prove it.

Here's my proof: November 2016 you whiner. It's really great how you think a joke made 46 weeks before election is totally going to lose the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

fishmech posted:

Here's my proof: November 2016 you whiner. It's really great how you think a joke made 46 weeks before election is totally going to lose the election.
So, not proven, then.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
It's true, voters are dumb and have short memories.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kilroy posted:

So, not proven, then.

You don't have any proof of your lunatic theory that voters are going to change their minds based on some random tweet.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

fishmech posted:

You don't have any proof of your lunatic theory.
I don't think you know what my "lunatic theory" is since you keep missing the mark in arguing with me.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
If 3 straight years of Benghazi haven't hurt Hillary I don't think this will.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Even the idea that your opponent loving up hard can harm you is some crazy impressive levels of spin. Or just straight up delusion.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

computer parts posted:

:agreed:

This isn't really anything for her campaign to be losing sleep over.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Xae posted:

Even the idea that your opponent loving up hard can harm you is some crazy impressive levels of spin. Or just straight up delusion.

It hurts her by unnecessarily driving a rift between her and the Bernie crew that she needs to bring back in the fold after the convention.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Xae posted:

Kilroy is correct in that the Clinton campaign stands to gain nothing from attacking Sanders over this. Luckily the Clinton campaign has gotten the memo it seems like.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

TIL the Obamas have two dogs. Also that all the First Pets except the Obamas' are dead, though I have no confirmation on Ofelia the Cow.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

fishmech posted:

You don't have any proof of your lunatic theory that voters are going to change their minds based on some random tweet.

It's not that people are going to change their mind over a tweet, it's that they're showing no sign of wanting to bring people in. She assumes like she has all along that all the Democratic votes are hers and that she doesn't need to earn them and she has hired people that think the same. No one is going to care about that tweet next November, but if this is the kind of campaign she's going to run, she certainly isn't going to convince people who have their doubts.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

foobardog posted:

TIL the Obamas have two dogs. Also that all the First Pets except the Obamas' are dead, though I have no confirmation on Ofelia the Cow.

Since the other ones are at least 7 years old, that would make sense.

Someone should get an Aldabra Tortoise and have it outlive the nation. :unsmigghh:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

fishmech posted:

Where's your evidence then, chief?

Also Hillary didn't handicap her campaign, Bernie Sanders staffers handicapped Bernie Sanders' campaign. Please, try not to lie like a senior Sanders staffer!

Most if not all the political shows tonight are making the equivalence argument that now the Dems are just as fractured as the Republicans now. Further more, even if folks are smart enough to vote for Clinton in the general, this sort of crap is going to make folks think twice about donating money, making calls or knocking on doors.

That poo poo doesn't help Clinton win, and it doesn't help down ticket Dems either. They should have kept this poo poo inhouse. This was an unforced error for the party at large, and your interest in painting all Sanders' supporters as insane reddit posters is blinding you to that fact. Even the Clinton campaign is pulling back from this. Why aren't you?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kilroy posted:

I don't think you know what my "lunatic theory" is since you keep missing the mark in arguing with me.

Your insane theory is that the Bernouts horribly offended by this were ever going to vote for her.

ReidRansom posted:

It's not that people are going to change their mind over a tweet, it's that they're showing no sign of wanting to bring people in.
Have you even read the response the campaign has actually put out? The only thing that was close to mean was the single joke tweet. The Hillary campaign is currently lobbying to restore access for the Bernie campaign!

Solkanar512 posted:

Most if not all the political shows tonight are making the equivalence argument that now the Dems are just as fractured as the Republicans now. Further more, even if folks are smart enough to vote for Clinton in the general, this sort of crap is going to make folks think twice about donating money, making calls or knocking on doors.

That poo poo doesn't help Clinton win, and it doesn't help down ticket Dems either. They should have kept this poo poo inhouse. This was an unforced error for the party at large, and your interest in painting all Sanders' supporters as insane reddit posters is blinding you to that fact. Even the Clinton campaign is pulling back from this. Why aren't you?

Ah yes, the power of the political shows on a late friday night.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

fishmech posted:

Your insane theory is that the Bernouts horribly offended by this were ever going to vote for her.

Have you even read the response the campaign has actually put out? The only thing that was close to mean was the single joke tweet. The Hillary campaign is currently lobbying to restore access for the Bernie campaign!

Now they are. After they appear to have been savaged for their response.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Solkanar512 posted:

This was an unforced error for the party at large

It was an unforced error by the DNC who leaked it to the Washington Post and went nuclear on the Sanders campaign rather than handling it discretely.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ReidRansom posted:

Now they are. After they appear to have been savaged for their response.

Unfairly savaged, because they did nothing close to wrong. The extent of anything that could be considered offensive was a single tweet.

Are you maybe confusing the DNC with the Hillary campaign here?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

It was an unforced error by the DNC who leaked it to the Washington Post and went nuclear on the Sanders campaign rather than handling it discretely.

Seriously, DWS is total poo poo and has hosed two elections so far. Will a third finally be enough to get her tossed out on her rear end?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

fishmech posted:

Unfairly savaged, because they did nothing close to wrong. The extent of anything that could be considered offensive was a single tweet.

Are you maybe confusing the DNC with the Hillary campaign here?

Oh, no the DNC handled it far worse than the Clinton campaign, who really should have just never said anything at all. It was more than a single tweet though.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

Seriously, DWS is total poo poo and has hosed two elections so far. Will a third finally be enough to get her tossed out on her rear end?

I think you'd find those elections hosed without DWS, but it is pleasurable to have a scapegoat.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
it keeps happening

Malmesbury Monster
Nov 5, 2011

Joementum posted:

Considering how recalcitrant the Sanders campaign has been on this today, there's part of me that wonders if it could have been handled discreetly.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

computer parts posted:

Since the other ones are at least 7 years old, that would make sense.

Someone should get an Aldabra Tortoise and have it outlive the nation. :unsmigghh:

Trump should, although let's be honest, he could adopt a fruit fly and have some pretty good odds there.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mitt Romney posted:

Agreed and what's concerning to me is that Clinton and her past campaigns have shown a great ability to be tone deaf and unable to read obvious political winds. Mostly because she surrounds herself with loyalists and yes-men instead of the best people for the job.

Yeah, I've always been skeptical about the sort of people she's staffed around her. One thing you can say about the Obama campaign and administration (White House), they run a tight ship. An incredibly, somewhat unique in presidential history, tight ship.

EDIT: But all in all, this is a storm in a teacup. Nothing makes the American public's eyes glaze over quicker than INTERNET SCANDAL. Expect this to blow away in a week (this poster says optimistically, hopefully not to be mocked later).

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 19, 2015

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Joementum posted:

Was it DWS herself that leaked it to the post?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

fishmech posted:

Let's assume for the sake of argument and since I'm obviously not going to convince you otherwise or get through to you on this, that this is an accurate appraisal of what I think.

So let's hear from you how the Clinton campaign reaction, initially at least, since it is their initial reaction that you were defending, is a net positive for her general election campaign.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, I've always been skeptical about the sort of people she's staffed around her. One thing you can say about the Obama campaign and administration (White House), they run a tight ship. An incredibly, somewhat unique in presidential history, tight ship.

Except her campaign this time around is about a billion times better than 2008. Remember Mark Penn?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kilroy posted:

Let's assume for the sake of argument and since I'm obviously not going to convince you otherwise or get through to you on this, that this is an accurate appraisal of what I think.

So let's hear from you how the Clinton campaign reaction, initially at least, since it is their initial reaction that you were defending, is a net positive for her general election campaign.

The initial reaction was "wow stealing data is bad, that's not cool". And then someone made a joke tweet. What's supposed to be a horrible reaction about that? What's even wrong with that at all?

Why do things have to be a net positive to be done? I guess they were wrong to expect the whiny contingent to not freak out, but you can't really plan around the barely sane.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

smg77 posted:

Except her campaign this time around is about a billion times better than 2008. Remember Mark Penn?

True, and she's had some Obama people melded into her campaign apparatus. This list shows that there's plenty of old standbys, going back to her 2001 Senate campaign and beyond on deck http://www.p2016.org/clinton/clintonorg.html

And then you have the tight cluster of old hands dating from her days as first lady, like Cherry Mills, her former chief of staff, that act as gatekeepers for Hillary. I think I posted an article about it a while ago, I might dig it up later.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

fishmech posted:

Why do things have to be a net positive to be done?
Isn't that obvious?

quote:

I guess they were wrong to expect the whiny contingent to not freak out, but you can't really plan around the barely sane.
It's actually trivially easy to plan around, provided you don't first dismiss them as "the whiny contingent" and "barely sane".

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kilroy posted:

It's actually trivially easy to plan around, provided you don't first dismiss them as "the whiny contingent" and "barely sane".

How do you want it sugar coated then?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Kilroy posted:

One could expect that planning for not making ill-received tweets is about as trivially easy as planning for staffers not committing theft.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

theblackw0lf posted:

Was it DWS herself that leaked it to the post?

Impossible to say, but it was definitely someone at the DNC. Charitably, you could say it was impossible for them to contain this story, but the fact that the leak to the Post happened at exactly the same time as the lockout of the Sanders campaign ain't great.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
You're trying to run for President of the United States. You should 100% be able to make at least some plan around the actions of the barely sane.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

You're trying to run for President of the United States. You should 100% be able to make at least some plan around the actions of the barely sane.

Seems to be working out alright for Trump.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

Terrorism.

Terrorism will hurt Clinton's candidacy, computer parts, because Clinton is a domestic policy president who doesn't want to "bomb the poo poo out of them"

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

Terrorism.

Terrorism will hurt Clinton's candidacy, computer parts, because Clinton is a domestic policy president who doesn't want to "bomb the poo poo out of them"

You'd need a triple figure body count in the USA but yeah this would do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kilroy posted:

Isn't that obvious?

No, it's not obvious why doing things that change nothing/are neutral is bad. Most things done in any campaign have no effect.

There was no way to know that whiners like you were going to take "hey don't do that" as some sort of horrible party ending insult.

• Locked thread