Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ofaloaf posted:

Sorry you can't appreciate sophisticated pluralii, scrub. :smug:

boni is a hard one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
If you protectorate a nation that's currently westernizing, does its westernization get canceled?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Ofaloaf posted:

Come come, at least use :agesilaus:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm doing a Ragusa game and I took Espionage Ideas first. Let me tell you, it's way better now. Since I'm an Eastern nation, it isn't hard to get at least 1 extra MP a month from Study Technology. Infiltrate Administration is still lackluster for a final idea, but it's real helpful for naval invasions so you know which area is safe to land in, and which one isn't. Sow Discontent is amazing, though. It's +3 revolt risk and -0.50 RT a month on the target nation. The RT isn't amazing but that +3 revolt risk is really good at keeping nations down longer than they would otherwise. It won't ever do much of anything on its own, but I've had it on Austria for like 50 years. They got the Nobility disaster, but have enough -RR that it wouldn't do anything on its own. But my Sow Discontent is keeping them carpeted by Noble Rebels forever. They can't get enough stability to break out of the disaster from the constant revolts. It's awesome.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Ofaloaf posted:

Iiiii iii iii'i iiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiii, iiii. :smug:

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Kersch posted:

Can my nordic name be Bonj Malusson

I'm Boney Eye Ma'Loose Legs, the Latin pirate.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Antti posted:

So I'm burning my way through China and Japan, as you do, and France has shown up, grabbing some land in South China and Korea so that they border me.

I am able to maintain parity with them in mil tech so there's zero reason to go Qing and westernize, right? It's already 1674 so I have a hunch the MPs spent on westernizing are better spent on teching. The +75% from nomad is not too big a deal when I get -34% from ideas and monarch points out the rear end by razing Chinese provinces. The only hitch is overextension that I need to keep below 100 or I start getting 30k revolts in China, which I could deal with sure, but not while also fighting a massive war against France or Bukhara+a very large Bahmanis or the Delhi-Bengali alliance.

There's no reason to hang on to provinces to re-raze them, since there's a 20 year cool down on razing. Either raze and release, or just raze and keep; once you get big you can just raze and keep, and continuously conquer in one direction or another, essentially generating unlimited manpower and coring stuff for free. That's how I conquered my way from India to the North Sea in 100 years.

You could try and conquer those provinces back from France too, you'd still be able to westernize off the cores. Though there's a very good chance rebels will pop up and return those provinces to a Chinese minor, since the Europeans tend not to keep any armies to quell unrest.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The westernization question was more in the sense of "Should I swap to Qing and become a feudal monarchy so that I can westernize in the first place?"

But I agree, 20 years is too long a time to wait to re-raze provinces. It's probably the exact purpose there.

I'm actually not that scared of France any longer, because they have been crippled by Aragon and Liege (?!) in this particular game. Muscovy, however, is proper scary now with a huge army, they border me, and they are allied with Muscovy, and I can't fight them both.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
why would you choose to stay as manchu brown when you can turn into wonderful qing golden yellow :wtc:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Because Horde life best life. It's like cheating.

But yeah, just depends on how much you're enjoying the game Antti. I wouldn't reform until the moment where you want the decision. Just go on a spree instead.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
If I have an army led by a conquistador, what reasons might there be that it can't enter terra incognita? My cursor has a green arrow when I hover over the province, but right-clicking does nothing. If it matters, the province is the one in the middle of the island Brunei is on (Borneo? I think it's Borneo).

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Could be wasteland, i don't know that area.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Redmark posted:

If I have an army led by a conquistador, what reasons might there be that it can't enter terra incognita? My cursor has a green arrow when I hover over the province, but right-clicking does nothing. If it matters, the province is the one in the middle of the island Brunei is on (Borneo? I think it's Borneo).

almost certain that's wasteland

feller
Jul 5, 2006

yep it's wasteland

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Oh okay. Should probably put that in a tooltip or something.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

PittTheElder posted:

Because Horde life best life. It's like cheating.

But yeah, just depends on how much you're enjoying the game Antti. I wouldn't reform until the moment where you want the decision. Just go on a spree instead.

Yeah I think I'll blob to my heart's content and do the decision on 1820 just to get the achievement. I don't have the 1444-1821 achievement yet either so I'll pick that up on the way.

Going to be amusing watching 18th century French infantry melt in front of a cavalry horde. I'm ahead of France in mil tech now.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I haven't played much with Hordes and need to do that this weekend.

Any general tips, I messed around with a few openings and have a general idea of the mechanics but advice would be appreciated. Any tricks to Horde Unity?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Classic Paradox translation issues; they've misspelled "Ottomanii" :rolleyes:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

BgRdMchne posted:

Please just say bonuses and penalties. Making up words doesn't make you look smart.

Can we put this in the thread title?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Buy all the DLC for max bonii

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Can someone explain to me what the point of the Dutch Republic slider between the two factions is for? As far as I can tell, it grants a bonus based on who is in power, but it seems to be the exact same bonuses regardless of where the slider is on the scale. So why should I care about this?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Palleon posted:

Can someone explain to me what the point of the Dutch Republic slider between the two factions is for? As far as I can tell, it grants a bonus based on who is in power, but it seems to be the exact same bonuses regardless of where the slider is on the scale. So why should I care about this?

The bonus is less important than which faction is in charge dictates ruler term length. If the Statists are in power, you have elections every four years. If the Orangists are in power, you become more like a monarchy and rule for life.

It's best to take events that pull you toward the center, since as you say the bonuses don't scale, but you want the ability to somewhat choose leaders. Dutch Republic gets pretty decent to amazing rulers, pick Statists when you want to roll the dice on a new one and if you get a hot poo poo ruler go Orangists and keep him until he bites it.

Edit: a Merchant Republic with +RT bonuses is a tie or close second to Dutch Republic, depending on your goals. You have no regencies, moderate to complete control over your (good) ruler stats, among many other things. The major difference is DR can do royal marriages and is mostly the best of both worlds from the monarchy and republic boniiae, while MR is super awesomest Republic.

Edit2: there are plenty of synonyms in the English language for bonus and malus that don't make you seem like a twat for misusing their Latin plurals.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 19, 2015

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Having just finished an Idea Guy run I would say that if you don't mind dumping the points to get the +RT idea then go with a merchant republic instead. Some of my Dutch Republic rulers were really good but for the first 100 years I didn't see many with more than 9 points divided among their stats. You can also get Orangist events that give you +100 to Orange and end up stuck with a series of really terrible rulers for decades. On the other hand, being a Dutch Republic means freeing up about 200 more custom nation points for stuff like + Leader Siege.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Thoughts on Admin vs. Econ for a third idea for Hamburg (others are Trade and Plutocratic)? My gut says Admin, it's a better idea set in general and the Goods Produced modifier is very nice. The dev discount from Econ is pretty tempting, though, especially since I haven't been able to expand much due to annoying webs of alliances. Econ would let me switch to Merchant Republic but I kind of like having the Burghers around for the huge trade power bonuses in my provinces in Lubeck (though I haven't been able to snag Lubeck itself yet :bahgawd:).

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

quote:

ii ii ii ii ii iii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

:suicide:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Pellisworth posted:

Edit2: there are plenty of synonyms in the English language for bonus and malus that don't make you seem like a twat for misusing their Latin plurals.

perks and drawbacks

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Antti posted:

Yeah I think I'll blob to my heart's content and do the decision on 1820 just to get the achievement. I don't have the 1444-1821 achievement yet either so I'll pick that up on the way.

Going to be amusing watching 18th century French infantry melt in front of a cavalry horde. I'm ahead of France in mil tech now.

Yeah, it's crazy. In my Mongolia game I'm sitting at a +310% ahead of time cost penalty. Ih Huree is gonna come close to topping 100 development. :black101:

I should probably buckle down and play Kazan, finally do a WC. It'd be loving nuts to start as a powerful horde, and get to -50% core cost after just six ideas. Plus that awesome dragon flag.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pellisworth posted:

The bonus is less important than which faction is in charge dictates ruler term length. If the Statists are in power, you have elections every four years. If the Orangists are in power, you become more like a monarchy and rule for life.

It's best to take events that pull you toward the center, since as you say the bonuses don't scale, but you want the ability to somewhat choose leaders. Dutch Republic gets pretty decent to amazing rulers, pick Statists when you want to roll the dice on a new one and if you get a hot poo poo ruler go Orangists and keep him until he bites it.

Edit: a Merchant Republic with +RT bonuses is a tie or close second to Dutch Republic, depending on your goals. You have no regencies, moderate to complete control over your (good) ruler stats, among many other things. The major difference is DR can do royal marriages and is mostly the best of both worlds from the monarchy and republic boniiae, while MR is super awesomest Republic.

I hope you get murdered with a brick for this poo poo my man

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Eej posted:

perks and drawbacks

perki, drawbi

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Tsyni posted:

perki, drawbi

it's perkoi, actually

e: perkoinen?

kojei fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 19, 2015

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Pellisworth posted:

boni is a hard one

One boner, several bonii

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

kharaa posted:

e: perkoinen?
He's a fine member of the Finnish Winter Olympics team!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Ofaloaf posted:

He's a fine member of the Finnish Winter Olympics team!

THIRD BASE!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

VDay posted:

I think so? Granted I have no actual technical knowledge of the game but there is a clear line where the map just kind of slides over and a Random New World gets plopped down into, so unless there's a limit to how big that area can be for technical reasons I assume it's theoretically possible to make it absolutely huge.

I think the obvious thing to do here is to make a single giant Random New World tile that's the entire Europe/Africa/Asia map copied and mirrored, complete with "Secret ____" copies of every country at the start date.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Roadie posted:

I think the obvious thing to do here is to make a single giant Random New World tile that's the entire Europe/Africa/Asia map copied and mirrored, complete with "Secret ____" copies of every country at the start date.

This would be hilarious. Especially if they had mirrored historical events.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Tried a few things for From Humble Beginnings (50 point custom nation, get to 2000 development). Sunni Horde starting with a string of provinces from Benin around the Cape to Kilwa is insanely fun with two theaters to fight in and infinite admin power from razing. Up to 900 development in 1540 with all of Sub-Saharan Africa under my belt.

The best part is Hordes can raze their same continent colonies before coring them. Thanks for the 60 Admin/Dip Cape.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

holy poo poo death to the commonwealth. Why does no-one want to stop them except me am I the only one who's sane

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

If I ally a Free City and give it territories in a peace deal that I'm the war leader of, it will lose its Free City status, right? I want to conquer a Free City but I don't want to have to fight the Emperor + allies, so I want to find some way to force it out of Free City status.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun

Bort Bortles posted:

Jesus so Aragon owns all of Iberia except Portugal, who also owns Morocco, and Spain was really serious about continuing the reconquista all the way through North Africa to the holy land?

Yup! The North Africa situation is because I took those provinces at the start and Portugal/Castile really really wanted to get rid of me. Castile were doing really well but then they just kind of folded.

I took back the North African lands from Castile after which they were down to 3 provinces, none of them on the Iberian peninsula.

Then Aragon got jumped by The Papal State after fighting the Ottomans and this happened:

Granada's gonna do it! :shobon:

Edit: The Papal State just offered me, the defender of the Sunni faith, an alliance. Seems reasonable.

kukrunkarmaskin fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Pellisworth posted:

I work in ocean science and constantly hear people use "octopi" as the plural of "octopus."

It is a Greek word.

I was taught in primary school that octopi was the correct plural of octopus. I've spent most of my life believing this terrible lie. :smithicide:

At least this means the plural of "us" not being "I" is no longer a strange mind-bending anomaly.

• Locked thread