Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Joker is level 90, can you really kill him so easily?

Augment in some Insectoid XX and Joker will go down with one phoenix and one g-buster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You know, the fifth time we've run into shape changing aliens impersonating crew members, you'd think we'd stop being shocked by their existence and start implementing some security measures against it.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
if you asked me to describe elma's personality i don't think i could do it. she's so aggressively normal in every conceivable way.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Inflammatory posted:

if you asked me to describe elma's personality i don't think i could do it. she's so aggressively normal in every conceivable way.

I'd call her Anime Mysterious Generic Badass.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Inflammatory posted:

Aggressively normal is probably how I would describe it, she's supposed to be a badass leader but she just likes work and cats and classic cars like your pal down the pub

Like L & H.B. etc are real entertaining for how over the top they are but I kinda like the average-ness of some of the others, if that makes sense. It kind of grounds the fantastical setting for me? We are fighting to protect the sacred boring-ness of every human in NLA

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 19, 2015

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
How can there not be a translated guide for how to deal with the Endbringers ground phase.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

bloodychill posted:

AS FOR BLADE...

HEY! :mad:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Aggressively normal is probably how I would describe it, she's supposed to be a badass leader but she just likes work and cats and classic cars like your pal down the pub

Like L & H.B. etc are real entertaining for how over the top they are but I kinda like the average-ness of some of the others, if that makes sense. It kind of grounds the fantastical setting for me? We are fighting to protect the sacred boring-ness of every human in NLA

I'm kinda of the same mind on Elma. Yeah she's pretty boring in terms of personality and voice acting, but you occasionally get little bits of characterization apart from her ~deep mysteries~ that make her feel like a relatively normal person, and it works reasonably well for me at least. She's basically just a jrpg protagonist except not the one you play.

Also the ending cutscene of chapter 7 amused me with everyone doing the same hand on hip thing in response to Vandham.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 19, 2015

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
The worst part of this game is that you can't take Vandham on your adventures, honestly

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can someone tell me if it's worth keeping Gus around. I knew drat well the "help me guys ;_;" thing was a lie and did it anyway expecting to fight him afterwards like Quincy told me. He ran off giggling into the sunset which is hilarious but funnier still was when I reloaded and a crab gently pushed him over and apparently killed him.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Someone a few hundred posts back said there's a particular order or item you need to pay attention to for the quest to rescue the Tree Clan Prone leader's son and allies to stop his son getting killed in the process. What was it?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So I gave up on the rest of the game, and just watched everything from Chapter 11 onward on Youtube. I got things to say about the end of the game (so yeah, spoilers).

Elma being a xeno, or at least non-human, was super obvious. There's like a million hints about it dropped throughout the game. The details are the interesting bits, and I don't think we ever find out where she's from...? I might be wrong. Either way, it's not surprising at all.

Who were the Ganglion warring with? Was it the Samaarians? Do the Samaarians still exist at this point in time, if humans are considered their descendants?

That stinger raises a lot of questions. Does the postgame ever explain what the planet is supposed to be? Are the Xenoblade 1 references supposed to mean anything, or are they just teasing?

Come to think of it, if the database was destroyed the whole time...does that mean those 20 million people are all gone? Is it just BLADE, now?

Who the hell are we? Are we just some average joe? Did we have any larger purpose? How come we didn't have our memories while everyone else did? How come we were easily the most effective member of BLADE? Did the planet influence us somehow?

I'm 100% certain that my questions will never actually be sufficiently answered, cause I don't think any future Xenoblade games will touch on them, if there are any future Xenoblade games at all.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 19, 2015

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

The worst part of this game is that you can't take Vandham on your adventures, honestly

The worst part of this game is that it lacked a nonsensical Vanderkaum cameo.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Someone a few hundred posts back said there's a particular order or item you need to pay attention to for the quest to rescue the Tree Clan Prone leader's son and allies to stop his son getting killed in the process. What was it?

Yeah, what you're supposed to do is rescue the other two guys first, one of them will tell you that Simius are repelled by Kepha Holly, so have one of these on you when you come to rescue the son. If you don't have any, you can find some around 313/314/317/319.

Also, do note that you can still jump even if you drive off a cliff in vehicle mode, so you don't have to watch your skell fall helplessly after it practices sick involuntary wide drifts.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 19, 2015

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The protagonist of the game is an organization rather than a person (I strongly dislike this aspect of the story but that's just how it is), and Elma's by-the-book normality is part and parcel with that.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

i, uh, drove my skell into a bottomless chasm in oblivia

twice

these things have the turning radius of a 747

FYI, you can just hold the direction you want to turn and double-click the left stick to turn instantly.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Just invited Yelv on a date :smuggo:

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

What's the best way to make money before post game (other than just waiting for Fnav revenue)? I just beat chapter 10, I have lvl 30 skells on everyone and I want to get at least one lvl 50 one before I beat the game. Related to that, where's the best place to grind xp?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I've been accumulating reward points passively just from the squad tasks, but is there a way of farming much more of them actively, with characters in the level 30 range?
Buying rewards to skip grindy lovely missions is great, but I'm out of RP now.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
If you want ground weapon schematics, take your Phoenix to the Kitsune Stronghold in Cauldros and go to town. Also from Milsaadi's in Sylvalum.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Reiterpallasch posted:

i, uh, drove my skell into a bottomless chasm in oblivia

twice

these things have the turning radius of a 747

As another tip, you can fast travel while falling. This saved me a number of times.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Would have beaten Telethia if it hadn't done that Chronicles dodge every move poo poo. Two cannons and 3 gatling guns weren't enough to get rid of that bullshit.

Edit: Exact same thing again. Is it there just to prevent me from beating him if I can't do enough damage before he takes off again?

Edit 2: gently caress this game.

Dastardly fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 19, 2015

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I have concluded the flight module would be way cooler with analog shoulder buttons

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Having burned through the end of the game, and aside from all the other questions raised before, I another massively spoilery question:

So if they're living in their mim bodies aren't they all now effectively immortal? They can just transfer their consciousness to a new mim if they so please, right? They've made more than one reference to 'dying' and just waking up in a new mim, I'm assuming this has already been done before in NLA, or was it just a hypothetical? "Upgrading to a newer, younger model" just became a reality :v:

ultimatequix
Dec 9, 2007

Fhqwhgads posted:

Having burned through the end of the game, and aside from all the other questions raised before, I another massively spoilery question:

So if they're living in their mim bodies aren't they all now effectively immortal? They can just transfer their consciousness to a new mim if they so please, right? They've made more than one reference to 'dying' and just waking up in a new mim, I'm assuming this has already been done before in NLA, or was it just a hypothetical? "Upgrading to a newer, younger model" just became a reality :v:

Since the database was destroyed, I had assumed that their actual soul is in the mim body now. So death seems to still be permanent. I don't know how they can propagate themselves from that point on, though.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

Does anybody ever get to actually transfer bodies? Mims die all the time in sidequests and sometimes characters will bring up wanting to find the Lifehold so they can bring their friends back to life. Seems like mims can be fixed up much more easily than a human body but death is still death. As it is for all the humans who weren't lucky enough to get mims maybe? :(

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
The lava crab in Primordia drops lvl 60 Sakuraba Skell gear, but who drops Grenada gear?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

More talk on the ending

When you put more than 5 minutes thought into the whole thing, the story took a really dark turn in the end there. Everyone is dead. NLA is it. Doesn't seem like enough people to sustain a viable species population. And if mim's can't propogate, then welp...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Fhqwhgads posted:

Endgame obviously The mim maintenance tools for fabricating new mims and transferring consciousness were said to be part of the Lifehold so the carrot on the stick is that everyone waiting in line for a meat body but with a trashed, dead mim could get replaced in the meantime, leading to a very unfortunate martyr complex. Its unclear whether that part was in the flooded bits or what but if there's any technology recoverable from there its conceivable that they could still reproduce using that tech and whatever Mira x factor lead to autonomous mims in the first place. The Orphe are there to show that an existential step change in how you think and reproduce doesn't necessarily mean the end. But just swapping bodies seems more trouble now that how they thought the mims were working was turned on its head.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

zedprime posted:

Endgame obviously

I didn't even think about The Orphe in that way :aaa:

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
This puts me at 511 potential now.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Man, gently caress that Misaldii or whatever his name is at Yelv's third affinity mission. It took me 3 tries till I realized my teammates' mechs were G-Busting me.
That being said, the cutscene afterwards was amazing because I ha the foresight to give Yelv the heart-shaped glasses.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Any issue with the ending can probably be solved with Professor B actually getting a working time machine in order and transporting a few more ships or fixing Earth entirely. But then again, with all the weird poo poo around Mira they can always pull a Earth and the human race was remade and is an entirely new planet out of their rear end and I won't bat an eye.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Dastardly posted:

The lava crab in Primordia drops lvl 60 Sakuraba Skell gear, but who drops Grenada gear?

northeastern part of the divine roost, there are a bunch of aeviters chilling in some cliifside pools. one of them is a tyrant, and he seems to drop grenada gear pretty consistently.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Does Murderess disappear after doing The Rich Little Girl? I haven't seen her since I completed the mission and removed her from my team. She doesn't seem to be gone for a Heart-to-Heart either, since she doesn't seem to be around during every part of the day.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

horriblePencilist posted:

Does Murderess disappear after doing The Rich Little Girl? I haven't seen her since I completed the mission and removed her from my team. She doesn't seem to be gone for a Heart-to-Heart either, since she doesn't seem to be around during every part of the day.

i've had this same problem with other party members and i think it's because there are literally all-day heart-to-hearts. so good luck.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Inflammatory posted:

i've had this same problem with other party members and i think it's because there are literally all-day heart-to-hearts. so good luck.

What a startlingly terrible design choice.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Unconfirmed but it seems like weapon drops are based on your party members and your class. I switched from drifter to full metal jaguar and added elma and celica to my party. Dual sword/gun drop rate seems to have increased and I no longer get assault rifle/knives/javelins.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

horriblePencilist posted:

Her first Heart-toHeart is in the Residential District in one of the house's back yards. That's the only one I've done with her so if you've already done it, good luck finding her/the next one I guess.

Unrelated, I was tooling around NLA with Irina in my party and she got on another Interceptor's case for calling me a noob. Are there more division-specific interactions like this with various party members or was this a one-off kind of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MohShuvuu posted:

Unconfirmed but it seems like weapon drops are based on your party members and your class. I switched from drifter to full metal jaguar and added elma and celica to my party. Dual sword/gun drop rate seems to have increased and I no longer get assault rifle/knives/javelins.

This is absolutely the case, which makes equipping someone you don't use often a bit annoying.

Vanrushal posted:

Her first Heart-toHeart is in the Residential District in one of the house's back yards. That's the only one I've done with her so if you've already done it, good luck finding her/the next one I guess.

That's only in the afternoon. I know because I ran up to her at 16:59. :mad:

• Locked thread