Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Avocados posted:

Missile turrets, more often than not, fire at things long before I see them.

Doesn't help when the game decides to spawn raiders/gunners in my base though :smithcloud:

How is this bad? Set your turrets up so they can fire inward as well, make a viewbox where you fast-travel in, and you can just stand and watch the devastation unfold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Stuff I want to see in settler mods:

• Assigning a container as *communal equipment* that I could just fill with whatever junk I don't want to use and it would get equipped as upgrades by settlers, or some missions to up the basic guns settlers have from pipe pistols to assault rifles and laser muskets.

• More professions aside from farmer, trader, salvager and provisioner, I'd want to equip raiders and hunters, imagine how nice it would be to have hunters deliver a bunch of radstag meat.
    I also want beer brewers and bakers to use that razorgrain and water that piles up and to build the equipment needed for those types of professions.

• Slightly better interface for managing the settlers, probably through menu's.

• Randomized settler names that come after their profession, Farmer Jeb, Provisioner Bob, Settler NotASynth.

• Something to pour player resources into that would otherwise pile up into ridiculous levels, like stimpacks, drugs, grenades, ammo.

• Named NPC actually doing what they are told, stop loving mopping around Jun Long and go sit behind the store, your not the only person around here who lost a kid if you didn't know.

• Improved raider attacks, so the sanctuary bridge isn't always ignored in favor of them attacking across the river, where my strongest turrets were moved because nobody ever takes the bridge, and so the attacker strength/defender strength can factor in so if I leave one raider with a pool cue up before leaving I don't fail the defense and lose 12 settlers to that guy.

• Being able to assign things for only my use, I'm tired of the dirty peasants sleeping in my bed in my workshop area off to the side.
That's just off the top of my head.

I really wouldn't mind if the F4 DLC would expand on the settlement functions than on stories or other nonsense. Imagine a settler driven economy where you can send salvage parties out to bring back whatever stuff they find and set up a production process for ammo, stim packs and other stuff. I find it incredibly annoying to return to Sanctuary after weeks and find these slackers still banging away on the same part of housing wall as before.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ok what's wrong with the performance in the institute base. I just got here and it's by far the worst FPS I've had anywhere in the game, far worse than diamond city even. I have optimized vanilla textures and FAR, and my graphics settings are mostly on the lower end so I can't do too much more than this. By contrast I get a great 60 FPS in other areas around the edge of the map with much more distant stuff to draw, and the place largely doesn't even look that great so I don't get why it's ruining my FPS so much.

Any mod that tries to optimize it in particular?

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I opened a door to nowhere and it just had "you look nice today" painted on the wall. I figured it was some kind of trap, an Annihilator Sentry Bot Mk. II appeared from no where. Normally there is a security door or something. No idea where he came from. It was near the Murkwater settlement at the Southern edge of the map.

But I was sneaking, and managed to hack it before it started shooting at Piper. So now I have a Sentry Bot buddy. I went into the charter school nearby, and he blocked me into a closet. I had to toggle clipping just to get out of the room. He's a terrible robot companion.

He is also terribly frightening. He has some sort of rocket launcher mounted on his back that launches projectiles that burst in mid air into multiple smaller explosive charges. He has a rocket launcher arm too, but a ghoul broke it off. I really hope he doesn't kill me. I have no idea if the inspirational perk works on hacked robots.

waffles beyond waffles fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 18, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6295

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hammerstein posted:

I really wouldn't mind if the F4 DLC would expand on the settlement functions than on stories or other nonsense. Imagine a settler driven economy where you can send salvage parties out to bring back whatever stuff they find and set up a production process for ammo, stim packs and other stuff. I find it incredibly annoying to return to Sanctuary after weeks and find these slackers still banging away on the same part of housing wall as before.

A Hearthfire-style DLC dealing exclusively with Settlement would be something I'd be willing to pay for

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

gromdul posted:

I opened a door to nowhere and it just had "you look nice today" painted on the wall. I figured it was some kind of trap, an Annihilator Sentry Bot Mk. II appeared from no where. Normally there is a security door or something. No idea where he came from. It was near the Murkwater settlement at the Southern edge of the map.

But I was sneaking, and managed to hack it before it started shooting at Piper. So now I have a Sentry Bot buddy. I went into the charter school nearby, and he blocked me into a closet. I had to toggle clipping just to get out of the room. He's a terrible robot companion.

He is also terribly frightening. He has some sort of rocket launcher mounted on his back that launches projectiles that burst in mid air into multiple smaller explosive charges. He has a rocket launcher arm too, but a ghoul broke it off. I really hope he doesn't kill me. I have no idea if the inspirational perk works on hacked robots.

He also fired

Be sure to deactivate him before you fast travel somewhere. Hacked bots will get lost sooner or later and then magically reappear at some really inappropriate moment leading to some unintended hilarity.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
A high quality GECK that doesn't take a year is something I would pay for, and I don't even make mods.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Babe Magnet posted:

A Hearthfire-style DLC dealing exclusively with Settlement would be something I'd be willing to pay for

I can't imagine Bethesda would be able to make a game if the level of incompetence they've created the settlement system with was deliberate, so I'm guessing this actually is the plan.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I think I may hang this game up for like 3 months until all the mods get unfucked with the GECK. The save crashing/corruption is getting to me.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Ok what's wrong with the performance in the institute base. I just got here and it's by far the worst FPS I've had anywhere in the game, far worse than diamond city even. I have optimized vanilla textures and FAR, and my graphics settings are mostly on the lower end so I can't do too much more than this. By contrast I get a great 60 FPS in other areas around the edge of the map with much more distant stuff to draw, and the place largely doesn't even look that great so I don't get why it's ruining my FPS so much.

Any mod that tries to optimize it in particular?

I have a similar issue, I guess all that identical aluminum texture really hits hard.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Sylink posted:

I think I may hang this game up for like 3 months until all the mods get unfucked with the GECK. The save crashing/corruption is getting to me.

Hear hear. I'm salivating seeing some of the stuff being made, but I'd rather wait for the exact same reason. Fortunately Fallout always ages well.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Missile turrets are an outlier actually, all the other turrets have a fairly short range so they aren't worth building really

This isn't entirely true. It seems that once a turret goes "aggro" it has immense range. On my base on spectacle island the laser turrets, once aggroed by an enemy who got close enough, then will shoot at anything within draw distance until it's dead.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Mr Cuddles posted:

This isn't entirely true. It seems that once a turret goes "aggro" it has immense range. On my base on spectacle island the laser turrets, once aggroed by an enemy who got close enough, then will shoot at anything within draw distance until it's dead.

It doesn't even have to aggro itself. The moment anything on the cell aggros all turrets seem to go for whatever triggered it. Had a raider wander onto Starlight Drive-In where I set up my base. Dogmeat ran for him, and every last one of my turrets lit up the moment he got to the guy.

Although if htey do have a range that might have been a bug.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Turrets are strange. I've seen a raider literally walk up to one of my laser turrets and start hitting it, before it suddenly woke up and one shotted him. In another settlement with an entire battery of turrets and missiles, I've seen them unload on enemies I hadn't even seen pretty much at the edge of draw distance.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
What is the point of settlement building?

There doesn't seem to be any end goal to having well developed settlements. There don't appear to be any meaningful rewards to it. It's not especially robust or well implemented.

Why bother?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

MY ABACUS! posted:

There doesn't seem to be any end goal to having well developed settlements. There don't appear to be any meaningful rewards to it. It's not especially robust or well implemented.

Why bother?
Theres a few quality of life things you can get from settlements, like adhesive/purified water farming. But really, those become less of an issue once you get enough combat perks and deck out your weapons. I mod guns quite often and don't have any adhesive problems.

Since a lot of the settlement building has little to no impact on gameplay, I allow myself to god-mode while building so I can make a nice rustic dollhouse without blowing all my resources. I also cheat myself the perks to build special items, that way I dont dump a whole lot of SPECIAL points into Charisma for it. I'd recommend people to the same, at least until settlement building has a larger impact on everything else.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

MY ABACUS! posted:

Why bother?

I used to think this but then I started building up the Castle and it was actually quite fun, even if the tools to create settlements are loving awful.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MY ABACUS! posted:

Why bother?

because minecraft and computer game legos

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

because minecraft and computer game legos

Of the three answers, I find this one the most convincing.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Supposedly setting up shops in your settlements- and making those settlers happy- gives you a stream of caps? I don't think there's anything in any menu to tell you what you're making or even if you're making any money (but I mean I'm sure that feature couldn't get bugged out :allears:) but if true that's a nice feature throughout the game to help you buy some of the legendary weapons some merchants sell.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Supposedly setting up shops in your settlements- and making those settlers happy- gives you a stream of caps? I don't think there's anything in any menu to tell you what you're making or even if you're making any money (but I mean I'm sure that feature couldn't get bugged out :allears:) but if true that's a nice feature throughout the game to help you buy some of the legendary weapons some merchants sell.

On the level 3 shops, you get 100 caps per day (might be in game week, actually not sure) deposited directly into your workbench. There is a break-even point on caps spent to build versus caps returned, but it's not very good.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Otacon posted:

On the level 3 shops, you get 100 caps per day (might be in game week, actually not sure) deposited directly into your workbench. There is a break-even point on caps spent to build versus caps returned, but it's not very good.

The more I come to understand the game, the angrier I get that Fallout 4 is on so many top-5 goty lists with people. Even though it'd be on mine too.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
This is some awesome mod conversation we are having...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

LumberingTroll posted:

This is some awesome mod conversation we are having...

war never changes

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Well, 7 days to die has it beat already : voxels, deformable landscape. and so on.
I decided to go a bit bonkers and see how many companions I could get following me around, as well as my default 2, Diana & Shaunbot, silent simple humanoid companions I can play dress up with, (black bos uniforms and bowler hats, I have not found an acceptable codpeice yet), I ditched a couple of original followers nick and newspaper girl, to watch over spectacle isle,. and got : an eyebot, a sentrybot, an assaultron, an alien, & finally Codsworth, for his terse commentary.
Quinsey seemed to be the place to visit, what with lots of people to shoot.
about 30 seconds after arriving 3 vertibirds show up and flop about ineffectually, while my small group lays waste to anything and everything, then wander over to the quarry, where the vertibirds are wrekt by something, however, my group razes the quarry to the ground, while I take a breather to pick up some fans and assorted junk.

staberind fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 19, 2015

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

There's a mod or command to lock down junk you place in the world, right?

Some settler came through and took a bunch of my cram and knocked over all my hard work on my general store :argh:

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Some settler came through and took a bunch of my cram and knocked over all my hard work on my general store :argh:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4270/

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

OCDecorator converts inventory items into static items you can place the same way in the build menu as beds and chairs etc. Turns physics off as well so you could drop a mininuke in the room and nothing will move :v
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4270/

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Thanks! I imagine that's how people do their really nice bar setups too?

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah - I can't imagine having to do this the hard way

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've been waiting on that mod to hit 1.0 before I download it since I don't like keeping track of which mods are finished, but I think I need to just go for it because the inability to do even the slightest bit of decorating with inventory items is terrible. In oblivion the physics singularities were a problem, while in skyrim things would break even more often, and in fallout 4 I can't even put my toy robots on a table without them falling through it when I come back. In fact everything falls through tables almost every single time. I gave up putting anything in my house besides workshop-placeable stuff after 5 minutes.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
This game can be downright pretty at times

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I didn't know Fallout 4 was cel-shaded

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Seems like the OP hasn't been updated in some time (the last edit date is from last month). I'm looking at all the pictures people have posted of their settlements (I'm totally a settlement junkie myself) and wondering how the hell they were made, but the mods listed under "Settlements" in the OP are pretty scarce. Is there a way to catch up on what cool mods have hit the scene over the last month without crawling through the last 35 pages of discussion?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

strong bird posted:

I didn't know Fallout 4 was cel-shaded
shoulda paid closer attention when playing amigo

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Cirosan posted:

Seems like the OP hasn't been updated in some time (the last edit date is from last month). I'm looking at all the pictures people have posted of their settlements (I'm totally a settlement junkie myself) and wondering how the hell they were made, but the mods listed under "Settlements" in the OP are pretty scarce. Is there a way to catch up on what cool mods have hit the scene over the last month without crawling through the last 35 pages of discussion?

There are a ton of mods adding all sorts of little and big things, the top three if you want to make lovely pretty settlements you want to look up Homemaker (havent tried personally), SSex (have tried personally, lots of extra stuff) and OCDecorator (adds static versions of many items that you can place, bottles/food etc)

Best bet really is to have a peek at the fallout 4 nexus just be aware there is a recurring bug with some mods where power armor frames and some other containers (possibly) get randomized.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Has the problem with mods melting saves been fixed yet?

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

Has the problem with mods melting saves been fixed yet?

As long as they arent made with snip they SHOULD be fine, I have a 200 hour save file thats had various mods in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Played around with OCDecorator a bit. It's almost there- but doesn't seem to play well with some of the shelving options other mods are bringing in. My general store remains somewhat under-stocked :(

• Locked thread