Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Maarek posted:

I would figure someone who made it to the Governor level would have some kind of minder who just hangs around and makes sure they don't do something like that.

You don't know much about New Mexico. There have been rumors about this sort of private behavior with Martinez, and, combined with shady fundraising activities... Well, there's probably a reason why all that talk of using Martinez for Republican outreach to Hispanics dried up a couple of years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Trabisnikof posted:

I think you'd find those elections hosed without DWS, but it is pleasurable to have a scapegoat.

Yeah a loss was inevitable but the level of defeat was her fault again, we've lost the house until the next census because her GOTV was I know it looks like we're getting nothing done and Democrats are actively hampering are goals and not getting any pushback for it but the Republicans are scary oooooooooooooo . Seriously?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Also given the hour on the east coast I would assume dropping the lawsuit would have to wait until the court opens for business.

No, e-filing is open 24/7.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
If you guys want I can have a meltdown now about Sanders not dropping the case. What the gently caress.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm more disgusted at the lack of outrage directed at the Sanders campaign.

Because jesus christ this poo poo is beyond appalling, and the fact that it occurred is frankly, astounding. I'm stunned any campaign could have been so stupid. If Hilldawg had done this her campaign would've been sunk, and we'd have all been guaranteed a GPO victory.

In any event, this sort of utterly unethical, downright Nixonian action is completely outrageous, and destroyed whatever level of respect I had for Sanders and his campaign in the first place.

Seriously this is a huge deal and the fact that people ITT are concerned about how bad this makes HRC and the DNC look is really sad. Understandable mind you, but this should not have been a win for Sanders. It's naked corruption and he's fundraising off of lies and misdirection. It's really all very sickening.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Mitt Romney posted:

Agreed and what's concerning to me is that Clinton and her past campaigns have shown a great ability to be tone deaf and unable to read obvious political winds. Mostly because she surrounds herself with loyalists and yes-men instead of the best people for the job.

Hum. Weird. It's almost as if Hillary Clinton isn't the kind of person any sane person would want in the Oval Office :confused:

Edit:

The Iron Rose posted:

Seriously this is a huge deal and the fact that people ITT are concerned about how bad this makes HRC and the DNC look is really sad. Understandable mind you, but this should not have been a win for Sanders. It's naked corruption and he's fundraising off of lies and misdirection. It's really all very sickening.

Dawww, is someone feeling uneasy about their choice in corporate shill? How about you wait until there's an actual independent investigation before you have a conniption.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 19, 2015

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

What, exactly, did they do wrong?

A few staffers found something interesting in a program and misbehaved. At least one of them got sacked. The DNC revoked everyone's access to the program.

Why should we be outraged?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

The Iron Rose posted:

I don't disagree, but frankly I'm more interested in how it affects Clinton and the DNC because the effects on the Sanders campaign are ultimately irrelevant.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

A few staffers found something interesting in a program and misbehaved. At least one of them got sacked. The DNC revoked everyone's access to the program.

Don't worry, as much as their is a "Bernie bubble", it's nowhere near as putrid as Clinton's menagerie of syncophantic devotees you see 'round these parts, Iron Rose obviously among them. It's drat understandable that there's paranoia in the Sanders camp—the party establishment is an incestuous cesspool, livid at the fact that the left won't just bend over and let them get on with it already.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I think the assumption is that it's a double-standard being applied against Hillary. If Hillary did this, Berniebros would be outraged. But since Sanders did this (or at least is as equally culpable as Hillary would be, since Hillary would be burned at the stake by the media had she been in Bernie's position) and no one is outraged by this, clearly anyone who has not come into this thread raging about how terrible Bernie is is just a biased partisan hack not to be trusted in a discussion on the situation.

In other words, since Hillary would be judged harshly for such behavior, Bernie deserves to be treated equally harshly.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I think the assumption is that it's a double-standard being applied against Hillary. If Hillary did this, Berniebros would be outraged. But since Sanders did this (or at least is as equally culpable as Hillary would be, since Hillary would be burned at the stake by the media had she been in Bernie's position) and no one is outraged by this, clearly anyone who has not come into this thread raging about how terrible Bernie is is just a biased partisan hack not to be trusted in a discussion on the situation.

Which is kinda fair to an extent. I would like to think I would be calling for the same even-handed, independent investigation were the shoe on the other foot.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Quick, somebody remind me how those mean old Republicans will get to choose the next Supreme Court Justices and how I just have to suck it up and cast my vote for a homophobic scumbag who's made millions on the speaking circuit and plays footsie with the most fetid of America's aspiring oligarchs.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ComradeCosmobot posted:

In other words, since Hillary would be judged harshly for such behavior, Bernie deserves to be treated equally harshly.

It's probably that some people devoted enough to work for his campaign are devoted enough to steal data for any advantage they can gain. It points to a character-judgement issue because you don't want zealots who are so blind they get caught, you want ones who are grounded enough to know what they're doing is ultimately wrong and worth concealing, if they choose to pull underhanded poo poo like this at all. I don't understand why the DNC caved on the revoked access thing, since it was more than just one guy and the clear intent was to steal voter data and benefit from the stolen voter data.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Quick, somebody remind me how those mean old Republicans will get to choose the next Supreme Court Justices and how I just have to suck it up and cast my vote for a homophobic scumbag who's made millions on the speaking circuit and plays footsie with the most fetid of America's aspiring oligarchs.

Trump is one of those mean old Republicans though.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cugel the Clever posted:

Dawww, is someone feeling uneasy about their choice in corporate shill? How about you wait until there's an actual independent investigation before you have a conniption.

lol

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

quote:

The staffer in question stole millions of dollars of proprietary information, had at least three subordinates (including a Deputy National Data Director) do the same thing, and then attempted to hide the evidence once he'd done it. When they say "we didn't save any data" that tells me that they created dynamic (rather than static) lists. This is actually even worse, since the dynamic list updates every time new data comes in. That tells me that Sanders' data people planned for this theft to be ongoing. When they hid the folders, and the way they hid the folders (according to news reports), it looks suspiciously like they were trying to hide what was going on so that they could keep the theft undiscovered and steal data over the long haul.

The DNC's actions are politically questionable purely because they risk alienating a number of Sanders supporters. As a matter of contract law though, I've reviewed a version of the contract that Sanders' campaign is likely to have signed (they all have a core of standard provisions related to data.) Not only are NGP-VAN and the DNC totally within their rights to shut Sanders' access to the data down, but they say that they will in exactly this situation half a dozen times. Furthermore, Sanders' campaign hasn't fired all the staffers responsible (and who it knows to be responsible.) It has only fired it's National Data Director, who it described as a "low level staffer."

The problem for the DNC is that Sanders' campaign put them into this position, and they really did not have a good path other than the one that they chose.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Source your quotes

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

FAUXTON posted:

I don't understand why the DNC caved on the revoked access thing, since it was more than just one guy and the clear intent was to steal voter data and benefit from the stolen voter data.

Fundamentally it's because it doesn't matter and they don't really care about Sanders' personnel issues. The race isn't close at all, and there's no real upside for Clinton or the DNC to have the Sanders campaign burn out in mid-December. If they kill the story now then the only people who are going to remember during the primary are those who are already deeply involved in the campaigns.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 19, 2015

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

ComradeCosmobot posted:

If Hillary did this no one would've known because she'd ruin that person's entire political career if they pulled this. It's super obvious someone leaked this because they're bad at politics and saw one NH poll and freaked.

Kaal posted:

Fundamentally it's because it doesn't matter and they don't really care about Sanders' personnel issues. The race isn't close at all, and there's no real upside for Clinton or the DNC to have the Sanders campaign burn out in mid-December. If they kill the story now then the only people who are going to remember during the primary are those who are already deeply involved in the campaigns.

Whoever leaked this is probably getting super chewed out right now this whole scenario is not worth it for Hillary at all.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kaal posted:

Ah, fair enough. I'd mused about Bernie being cover for a leftward shift by Hillary.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

I stopped my monthly donations when they filed suit. I had already mentally switched to supporting Clinton, but I liked the idea of Sander's voice in the race. Now I don't anymore.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Cugel the Clever posted:

what is it with losing primary candidates having insane fringe backers that just can't deal with reality?

i like bernie despite his white supremacist background but his most vocal supporters are just insufferable

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
People are totally gonna use this data breech as a false equivalency about both parties being equally unfit for the presidency, right?

"The republicans want to bomb the poo poo out of everyone and don't trust women to keep control of their bodies... and the democrats had a slap fight about a voter registration glitch. See? Both parties are just the same."

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Has Bernie even seen Star Wars yet?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Kilroy posted:

Most Americans seem to think that if you dare to live and work outside the US, you are something like a traitor, and American tax policy really reflects that.

Unless your company is based overseas to avoid tax liability and rely on exploited foreign labor like Apple, then you're a patriotic Job Creator! :911: :patriot:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

joeburz posted:

i like bernie despite his white supremacist background but his most vocal supporters are just insufferable

Uh surely you mean vermont by that??

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Kaal posted:

Sure, four people accessed the data, and they probably should have known better. But really the only person I'm interested in punishing is the leader who told them to do that and definitely should have known better. I don't want subordinates to be punished for doing what they're told to do, unless it involves truly criminal behavior.

40 lashes at the whipping post, then all is forgiven.

fishmech posted:

There is absolutely no downside either, because no person on earth is dumb enough for a loving tweet in December 2015 to still leave them pissy in November 2016.

Melodramatic/neurotic Redditor Berners looking for an excuse to rage on Shillary, perhaps.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 19, 2015

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

joeburz posted:

I like bernie despite his white supremacist background but his most vocal supporters are just insufferable.
Well that's interesting. By all means, elaborate.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Rygar201 posted:

Well that's interesting. By all means, elaborate.

It's a running gag

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

greatn posted:

It's a running gag

Oh good, I was wondering how far off the deep end you'd have to go to sincerely believe that.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

America: Land of the Freep, Home of the Bigoted. :911:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Why is Bernie a white supremacist but Hillary not an anti-semite? If we're talking high-larious gags here.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Radbot posted:

Why is Bernie a white supremacist but Hillary not an anti-semite? If we're talking high-larious gags here.

Because the former trolls people better.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The press filing center for tonight's debate is an unheated ice rink. But don't worry, the DNC totally wants the press to cover this thing, so they're giving out hand warmer packs.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Bob James posted:

Has Bernie even seen Star Wars yet?

Not enough rape.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Today in Islamophobia: A 12 year old Sikh boy from Texas was accused by bullies of having a bomb in his backpack. The "bomb" was a cell phone battery pack. The teacher calls the cops and they haul him away to juvie, search him, and don't find anything. But they still hold him for three days. Oh, and nobody told his parents a thing. He just didn't come home.

He's been charged with "admitting he had a bomb in his backpack to the bully" and has an upcoming court date. He is suspended from school and wearing an ankle monitor.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

You don't know much about New Mexico. There have been rumors about this sort of private behavior with Martinez, and, combined with shady fundraising activities... Well, there's probably a reason why all that talk of using Martinez for Republican outreach to Hispanics dried up a couple of years ago.

That's a hell of an illustration. :shittypop:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's a thread for tonight's debate: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3756570

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joementum posted:

The press filing center for tonight's debate is an unheated ice rink. But don't worry, the DNC totally wants the press to cover this thing, so they're giving out hand warmer packs.

News like you've never seen it before - On Ice!

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Luigi Thirty posted:

Today in Islamophobia: A 12 year old Sikh boy from Texas was accused by bullies of having a bomb in his backpack. The "bomb" was a cell phone battery pack. The teacher calls the cops and they haul him away to juvie, search him, and don't find anything. But they still hold him for three days. Oh, and nobody told his parents a thing. He just didn't come home.

He's been charged with "admitting he had a bomb in his backpack to the bully" and has an upcoming court date. He is suspended from school and wearing an ankle monitor.

That poor kid! Those administrators should be ashamed of themselves.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh cool, it's even the same metro area.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Jesus Christ, that is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Joementum posted:

drat a literally chilly reception! And drat, an appropriate use of "literally"! (Pats self on back, hands self a cigar.)

SnakePlissken fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 19, 2015

• Locked thread