Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The extent of my EU exposure was reading I, Jedi when I was younger, and playing the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games. Republic Commando will always be my favorite Star Wars game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
That reminds me, I've been wondering for a long time, were the prequels the same deal where they retconned the EU, or was there always dark time set aside that was off-limits to writers and the prequels filled?

Kurzon posted:

I remember at the end of the Yuuzhan Vong arc, the writers decided that the dark side was just an illusion and that everyone could use force lightning.

Jesus gently caress.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jewel Repetition posted:

That reminds me, I've been wondering for a long time, were the prequels the same deal where they retconned the EU, or was there always dark time set aside that was off-limits to writers and the prequels filled?

Jesus gently caress.

No, it's okay, see, it was heroic GREEN lightning so it was totally okay to use it to murder people because you were really sure it was justified.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jewel Repetition posted:

There was a bunch of stuff off-limits to EU writers (including most things pre-movie) but that didn't stop them covering ground at the prequels eventually retconned. The Clone Wars as described by Zahn's books aren't really anything like what the prequels showed. Boba Fett has more origins than the Joker at this point.

And Rogue One will provide yet another contradictory version of how the plans for first Death Star were stolen.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's really weird that 'Force Powers' are categorised so heavily. Force abilities are so, so nebulous in the films, but outside of that it's all Force Push this, Force Pull That, Mind Trick this, Magic Missile That.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There was a bunch of stuff off-limits to EU writers (including most things pre-movie) but that didn't stop them covering ground at the prequels eventually retconned. The Clone Wars as described by Zahn's books aren't really anything like what the prequels showed. Boba Fett has more origins than the Joker at this point.

And Rogue One will provide yet another contradictory version of how the plans for first Death Star were stolen.

There are already several contradictory explanations for the latter. There are at least two video games centered around it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Jewel Repetition posted:

The loss registers a gently caress of a lot more than Alderaan did in ANH. Alderand's instantly vaporized while we watch from high orbit, and we get Obi-Wan's concerned poetry. In TFA you see the surface of the planet and everyone's fear, and we're told why the planet's important, because it's the capital of the Republic or something.

Personally I thought it was a lovely way to just wipe Coruscant out of the galaxy, with a 45 second special effects sequence and little else, not even a tense build up. If you didn't know about Coruscant from the prequels you wouldn't register the loss either, so quickly did it come and go on the screen

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

It's a bit back but on luke:

Why are they looking for that one guy, it's not like he could turn the tide of the entire war!

Except that's exactly what happens in the OT, luke saves day with a little help from his friends.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

NTRabbit posted:

Personally I thought it was a lovely way to just wipe Coruscant out of the galaxy, with a 45 second special effects sequence and little else, not even a tense build up. If you didn't know about Coruscant from the prequels you wouldn't register the loss either, so quickly did it come and go on the screen

It's not even Coruscant that gets destroyed, it's a bunch of planets in the Hosnian System.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's not even Coruscant that gets destroyed, it's a bunch of planets in the Hosnian System.

The main planet there was Hosnian Prime which at the time of TFA was capital of the New Republic and the headquarters of the Galactic Senate

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What the gently caress, all the talk about ending the republic and the senate, and they just blew up some random planet with no connection to anyone that also had a heavily urbanised surface? :psyduck:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The main planet there was Hosnian Prime which at the time of TFA was capital of the New Republic and the headquarters of the Galactic Senate

It would be cool if any of that was at all mentioned on the screen, at any point in time, ever. Where is it stashed away, the accompanying 'Planets of the New Republic' picture reference book?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQFho0_G1VI

Interesting seeing Prowse's version after Adam Drivers Kylo

Stray thoughts that I will spoiler I guess:

- Going "practical" and bringing in Kasdan were probably the best ideas JJ Abrams ever had in his life. Especially when you read about the influence Kasdan had on him.

- The shot where they track Poe's xwing from the ground and Finn's view was fuuuuuckin' rad

- I've always thought ANH has the perfect pace and plot for a popcorny action movie so I can't fault the idea of basically doing a remake, and don't.

- Just about all of the "new" stuff was really well done and cool

- General Hux going HAM on the rousing laser speech was the poo poo

- WTF is Snoke? Gotta be a Palpatine clone or something

- WTF is up with Rey's parentage? I have zero good guesses on that and need to see the drug trip scene again

- Poe Dameron is a great version of the xwing pilot archtype

- Finn is a great character and I'd argue the most "new" out of all of them, as in I don't think this Archtype shows up in the old trilogy. He's close to Han but doesn't have the rogueishness covering up the bumbling. He's like an Emmett from the lego movie style lead in a SW movie. Which I mean in the best way. He's just a regular space stormtrooper janitor who's forced into becoming a cool action star.

- Out of all the old icons, the Millenium Falcon got the best re-introduction. The "garbage" fake out totally got me, and the chase in it is like this movies Pod Race.

- Really glad that Kylo and Adam Driver turned out to be a major character and not a Darth Maul. I trust him with the arc that character is probably going to embark on.

Nit picks:

- I know LOTR loving ruined long runtimes for everyone, and none of thee other movies are Lynch's Dune or whatever but cmon JJ, take the 3 hours and let the back half of this movie breathe a little like the first half gets to.

- What a waste of Max Von Sydow

- I liked the rumors about Luke's ESB lightsaber falling onto Jakku ala The Gods Must Be Crazy kicking off the new adventure better than a nonsensical map to Luke

- Sooooo did Starkiller base completely wipe out the new galactic gov't like a half hour after we were hastily introduced to it?

- Really questioning the decision to handle the story of Luke's school via dialogue only. I appreciated that a lot of other stuff was left a little unsaid or referred to offhand instead of exposited but this was a major "wait, tell me more about that poo poo" moment. Rian Johnson needs to stop any future evil minds from the year 2060 from trying to make that movie with a CGI Mark Hamill with some major flashbacking in Ep8.

- gently caress the first Jedi temple, Luke should have been hiding on Dagobah and you know it.

- Deus Ex R2-D2 lol

- Luke hiding out on the island from Lost apparently

- The marketing for this poo poo was way too self aware, I'm not sure how else you can really do it but whatever.

Overall really happy with the movie, hope JJ and Disney force the same aesthetic on all the next directors, and glad to be feeling like I'm looking forward to the new poo poo more than the nostalgic poo poo.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 19, 2015

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

It wasn't Koh-RUSS-kant though (e: thread moves fast)

Also, the visuals of the huge red system-destroying energy projectiles creeping through space was really cool.

It's just slow enough that when you see it you know you're absolutely hosed within the next few seconds. It's that cold war era fear come to life

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

lenoon posted:

Why are they looking for that one guy, it's not like he could turn the tide of the entire war!

Except that's exactly what happens in the OT, luke saves day with a little help from his friends.
The movies need to establish some concrete reason why the Jedi and other Force users are so important. Moving rocks with your mind is a neat trick but it's not exactly going to rout fleets. I've heard that the Jedi were partly inspired by the Dune novels. In those books, the Bene Gesserit can do neat tricks too, but the biggest is their ability to foresee the future. Leto Atreides becomes the invincible emperor of the Universe because he had perfect vision of the future. That's something the movies ought to emphasize. The Jedi have limited precognition and that is what allows them to shape galactic events despite being so few in number.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

lenoon posted:

As far as they know he's literally the last Jedi, with Leia seemingly being force sensitive but not trained, and iirc they're aware that Snoke is a darkside baddie who is causing poo poo. That seems like all the excuse they would need, but then on top of that he has a major history with Snoke's "apprentice".

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I may be misremembering something, but in the scene where they meet Han, don't they talk about Luke finding / searching for the first Jedi Temple, and some poo poo about the Force being held in check and balance between Light and Dark, and he was searching for that temple as presumably a way to restore or understand it? It was something throwaway like that, they even gave the place a name.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Yep, more than enough reason to go looking for Luke "literally won the war civil handed, is the last Jedi, our only hope" Skywalker.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Awesome movie, it was basically everything I was hoping it would be. Finn and Rey were great, and I love how there's so many things that the movie sets up to be explored in later films. My favorite things:

Everything was just...so drat fun. I liked every character, there was no one that I didn't care for at all. I liked this better than any of the prequels, it was just such a good time in the Star Wars world.

I hope that Snoke actually is that massive in person and that it's not just the hologram. His first appearance was pretty amazing, not at all what I expected.

They did such a good job of establishing Jakku. Very different from Tattooine. What a miserable place to be left behind at :( It was sad to see Rey etch yet another notch on that wall. Loved the shot where it pulled back to reveal she was camping in AT-AT wreckage. There is no hope on that world.

Kylo Ren is such a complex villain, I love it. The scene where Han confronts him is so tense, and it was still such a shock to see him go through with killing his father, even though you had to know it was coming by that point. The darkness and red lighting that overcomes him just before he does that...really powerful, beautiful scene. I wonder what will happen if he learns about how Vader turned to the light just before his death? Will he go absolutely ballistic and be fully lost, or accept that he's made terrible mistakes and try to come back from the dark side?

Now, the things I didn't like:

Starkiller Base should have lasted at least one more movie and been taken far more seriously than it was. A massive world with a weapon that can take out multiple planets all the way across the galaxy in one shot should have been absolutely terrifying to the Resistance, and treated as a big deal, instead of just making a "bigger Death Star" joke out of it. I would have liked at least a few more lines about what the destruction of those planets meant for the galaxy. That was apparently the New Republic capital that got taken out, yet you could have easily missed that point.

I'm wondering if this was just me, or if others felt the same: there was a liiittle too much fast talking between characters at some points early on. I liked the intensity and emotion of those early scenes where they're trying to evade the First Order, but I couldn't hear some of the dialogue very well. Like when Poe and Finn were going back and forth in the TIE fighter, and when Finn and Rey were going back and forth in the Falcon and talking with Han, it was hard to catch some of the lines because they were talking and replying so quickly. I kept thinking that they should slow down just a bit. If it's just me, maybe the sound in my theater was a bit off, or it could have been that I was a little tired. The rest of the movie was fine.

Poe's cool, but I would have liked to see a bit more character development. He's a really good pilot who's pretty witty, and at the end of the movie that's still all we know about him.

I wish Luke had even just one or two lines. The whole movie is about his disappearance, I wish he had said something at the very end for us to be left with. Still a nice shot to end on though.

I think that's all my major thoughts. All in all, a very good start to the new trilogy. There's a lot of ways they can go from here, I hope they take some risks and create a lot of memorable moments in the next two films.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

MrSmokes posted:

I wish Luke had even just one or two lines. The whole movie is about his disappearance, I wish he had said something at the very end for us to be left with. Still a nice shot to end on though.

gently caress that, he should have done a line for line re-do of the whole "Ohhhhh you seek Yoda aahhehehehehehehe" routine on her with the end of the movie being when she finally realizes she's not talking to a crazy old hermit

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

lenoon posted:

Yep, more than enough reason to go looking for Luke "literally won the war civil handed, is the last Jedi, our only hope" Skywalker.

He didn't even defeat Vader or the Emperor, he just threw his lightsabre away and let them gently caress each other up. Also the other remaining Jedi (Obi Wan and Yoda) were pretty much just hanging around waiting for Luke to turn up so they could finally die. Luke also didn't kill the other main bad guys Jabba or Boba Fett, he pretty much distracted everyone so someone else could do the work. He also didn't contribute in any way to to destruction of the second Death Star apart from distracting Vader and the Emperor while the other guys got it done.
Basically apart from landing the shot which destroyed the first Death Star Luke's greatest achievements all involved being in the right place at the right time to indirectly cause other people to drop dead. And in The Force Awakens hes apparently continued to indirectly cause people to die just because they were in his general vicinity. No wonder he decided to go as far away from everyone as was possible and live as a hermit. :v:

(An alternate theory might be that Luke's achievements all happen because he lets the Force act through him and that directs him to be in the right place at the right time to do or say the exact thing which was required for events to work out for the best but that's not as much fun)
Edit: this alternate theory also doesn't gel too well with the backstory to The Force Awakens but that's a complaint we'll have to lay at JJ Abrams' feet.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Dec 19, 2015

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

gently caress that, he should have done a line for line re-do of the whole "Ohhhhh you seek Yoda aahhehehehehehehe" routine on her with the end of the movie being when she finally realizes she's not talking to a crazy old hermit

Rey already expects a hermit. What they should do is have Rey meet an old guy in a remote location that she expects to be Luke who then points out that Luke lives in the suburbs over there .

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Mahoning posted:

So when Kylo Ren is interrogating Rey, he takes off his helmet and puts it down in like a thing of ashes. Anyone have any ideas what that's about? Tell me it's loving Vader's ashes that he soaks his loving helmet in to try and get some of that Sith to rub off on him.

Oh my god :lol:

I noticed that he put his helmet down on an odd surface, but didn't think much of it. Of COURSE it's Vader's ashes. Kylo Ren wants to be him so bad that he'll resort to placebo bullshit, I love it.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
But why Kylo have a pile of Vader's ashes sitting in an interrogation chamber?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kurzon posted:

That's probably his bedroom and he sleeps in the bondage chair because he thinks he's a bad rear end, he just happens to use it as an interrogation chamber during the day. It's pretty much his work-from-home office.

Edit:
... or the container of ashes is just the crucible where they heat up the torture implements and had nothing to do with Vader.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 19, 2015

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Kurzon posted:

Maybe he's got a thing of ashes in every room that he spends time in, so that his helmet can have as much Vader ashes time as possible.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Its like Catholics having holy water at every entrance.

May the force be with you

And also with you

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

I have a real hard time imaging how the first four words of the opening crawl could possibly have been any better. They were perfect. They instantly change the game and throw the audience for a loop. Super evocative, super engaging.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lotta black text in this thread.

In 2015 would Luke have been court marshalled for turning off his targeting computer and recklessly endangering the success of the mission? From the rebellion's perspective he was just showing off.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The movie should have ended 15 seconds earlier. That 360* shot was stupid. It should have cut to credits with Luke removing his hood with the camera on his face.

Alternatively, Like could have force pulled his light saber and turned it on. That would have been an epic badass moment to go out on.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 19, 2015

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Luke didn't have any lines, but I felt his facial expressions when pondering the light saber offered to him were perfect. He so clearly was thinking, "do I really want to pick this up again? Do I really want to start fighting again?" The 360 shot was a bit annoying, but all of him before that perfectly conveyed his dilemma. I hope in the next film he either acts like toda and works through Rey, or shows up and just absolutely wrecks balls. Tearing a few star destroyers out of orbit or something would be nice.

Edit ^^ if the movie ended with him force pulling the saber, and the final shot with a close up of it slamming into his hand and the screen going black you know every theater everywhere would've completely lost their poo poo.

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 19, 2015

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

As Rey is pretty good with a staff, I hope she will build her own saber staff (or some other saber-staff hybrid) after returning Luke's saber.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Boring remake of A New Hope. 1½/5 hopefully the rebellion strikes back remake from a different director than JJ is better.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Why was the beginning on Jakku and not on Tatooine, when Jakku is just Tatooine with a funnier name (and no double-sun that I could see, which means it is automatically the worse planet)?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

Edit ^^ if the movie ended with him force pulling the saber, and the final shot with a close up of it slamming into his hand and the screen going black you know every theater everywhere would've completely lost their poo poo.
Yup, everyone would have had to change their underwear.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

nerdbot posted:

I liked that the weird forest temple bar seemed less like it was inhabited by locals and more as though the planet was pretty empty and dudes just came out from space to hang there. They were obviously invoking the Mos Eisley Cantina but it felt more like it was a roadside pitstop than a seedy crime hovel, between the emptiness of the rest of the planet and just the general atmosphere of the place.

That's the same impression I got. Han calls it a watering hole, says that "this is her stop", and through the trees you can see other ships of about the Falcon's size parked in the area. It's a place you stop on the way to somewhere else, or to pick up work, or get the news.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

turtlecrunch posted:

Why was the beginning on Jakku and not on Tatooine, when Jakku is just Tatooine with a funnier name (and no double-sun that I could see, which means it is automatically the worse planet)?

Why would you want to artificially keep the universe small? It's like that weird prequel debate about why Naboo wasn't just Alderaan. Although in that case , the answer would be "because people would be cheering for the Empire because hurr Jar Jar".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

turtlecrunch posted:

Because tatooine has been on too many movies as it is. Let some new planets pop up from time to time.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

turtlecrunch posted:

I thought it was pretty different from Tatooine, other than both being desert worlds. Tatooine, despite being rustic and out of the way, is still a functional world, with farmers, cities, bars, and sporting events. Jakku is basically a Mad Max post apocalypse. It makes Rey's situation feel much more desperate; Luke at least had a family, friends, and leisure time to bullseye womprats and pick up power convertors.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
That's because Luke is a richer and Rey is not. Buying luxuries like droids and power converters and living in a multi-story pueblo like it's nothing.
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet it's farthest from," e: says child suffering from affluenza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeeballcore
Mar 17, 2009

The MSJ posted:

As Rey is pretty good with a staff, I hope she will build her own saber staff (or some other saber-staff hybrid) after returning Luke's saber.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread