Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Peztopiary posted:

Boo on talking about this without links, boo I say.

It's a multipronged Tumblrism, if I could sum it up in a link I would be an even sadder case than I clearly am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The bullies loved Star Wars too, they had the lunch boxes and the toy lightsabers and the T-shirts too. Star Wars may have been the object of their derision, what they focused on, but it wasn’t the cause of the bullying and the harassment. Neither was Dr. Who or Dungeons & Dragons or action figures or whatever else you want to pick.

No, the reason they made fun of you was because they thought you were weak. That’s why they made fun of you.

he ain't wrong

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Cingulate posted:

I should have specified that my claim was not about intelligence, but reading comprehension. In that vein: I'm not saying Scott's thoughts are this or that. (For what it's worth, I do believe there is little reason to assume he does think nerds are oppressed to the degree Black people are.) What I am saying is: If you honestly read the pastebin as implying "Scott is arguing ... nerds are as oppressed as Black people", your reading comprehension is bad.
I am saying this because the pastebin states rather unambiguously that "oppressed" is not the word its author would use to describe the situation of nerds.
If you do not understand this, you are stupidlacking in reading comprehension.

"He said 'I'm not racist, but...' so clearly what he said can't be racist on purpose". That is literally the argument you're making, that he can't be being disingenuous.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

"He said 'I'm not racist, but...' so clearly what he said can't be racist on purpose". That is literally the argument you're making, that he can't be being disingenuous.

The only person who can preface a statement with "I'm not racist" and have it not be racist is Ash from Evil Dead. :colbert:

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Peztopiary posted:

Boo on talking about this without links, boo I say.

divabot posted:

It's a multipronged Tumblrism, if I could sum it up in a link I would be an even sadder case than I clearly am.

Lucky for you, I have extensive experience being a sad sack.

Step 1: Insult a libertarian

Step 2: Some very mild butthurt of no import.

Step 3: Write post justifying insulting said libertarian.

Step 4: "That's so rude!" "It is indeed very rude!" "I can't believe you'd insult an autistic woman!" "You're very rude and also libertarianism totally works for me." "Wow, how can you be against technology?"

Step 5: Make post summarizing my opinion of rationalist Tumblr. Yet more butthurt. Rationalists in general fail to understand what a figure of speech is, and think my words are a serious call for violence.

In conclusion, I am "a Barry Deutsche leftycartoon dressed up in enough prose to make it sound like something other than a gleeful caricature" and a coward.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Post-rationalists love to play the ableism card, because it's the only 'ism they don't embrace to some degree.

Wait, no reformed eugenics. Ableism against high-functioning autistics is the only 'ism they don't embrace to some degree.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Of all of those my favorite is

quote:

OP is such a mcfuckign piece of poo poo human being.

GO gently caress YOURSELF OP

:allears:

No war but the class war, death to all technolibertarians, etc.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I also just noticed your 16,200 word Naruto fanfiction for the first time :stare:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Here are the rules: If a friend of mine says "Let's nuke New York to destroy the Brahmins" this is a humorous exaggeration of a certain distaste for a certain group which will, of course, never be acted out in a reality.

If a non-friend of mine says "gently caress libertarians" this is clearly a horrifying statement of intent to build gigantic horrific rape-camps for all those deemed "libertarian" by a collectivist ruling party.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
As a Bay Area native, "Bay Area technolibertarian" is such a weird identifier to me. There are plenty of technolibertarians in the Bay Area, vying for those sweet sweet Y Combinator bucks for their Uber For X startup, but the people who call themselves "Bay Area technolibertarians" aren't referring to that subculture at all. The group they think they're referring to are the hackerspace/culture jamming/DIY/etc. crowd, but those folks are, as a rule, fairly far left even by Bay Area standards. Nobody here really cares about Yud's Budding Cuddle Puddle, and these people are more delusional than the weebs that think Japan will welcome them with open arms (although there's obviously a lot of overlap between the two groups).

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So, uh. I am confused now. NRx -pro or contra treating people with respect?

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I also just noticed your 16,200 word Naruto fanfiction for the first time :stare:

Don't judge me. :colbert: About a quarter of that is just one fight scene. If it's not silly and over-the-top, you're not writing Naruto.

And I haven't even posted the remaining 50 chapters yet.

...okay feel free to judge me :negative:

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Cingulate posted:

So, uh. I am confused now. NRx -pro or contra treating people with respect?

LessWrongian rationalists and NRxers deserve respect. Everyone else is a foul leftist threatening violence to all or a dumb right-wing cuck.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

As a Bay Area native, "Bay Area technolibertarian" is such a weird identifier to me. There are plenty of technolibertarians in the Bay Area, vying for those sweet sweet Y Combinator bucks for their Uber For X startup, but the people who call themselves "Bay Area technolibertarians" aren't referring to that subculture at all. The group they think they're referring to are the hackerspace/culture jamming/DIY/etc. crowd, but those folks are, as a rule, fairly far left even by Bay Area standards. Nobody here really cares about Yud's Budding Cuddle Puddle, and these people are more delusional than the weebs that think Japan will welcome them with open arms (although there's obviously a lot of overlap between the two groups).
When I think "Bay Area technolibertarian" the people I immediately visualize are the Soylent guy and Justine Tunney.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Curvature of Earth posted:

Lucky for you, I have extensive experience being a sad sack.

Step 1: Insult a libertarian

Step 2: Some very mild butthurt of no import.

Step 3: Write post justifying insulting said libertarian.

Step 4: "That's so rude!" "It is indeed very rude!" "I can't believe you'd insult an autistic woman!" "You're very rude and also libertarianism totally works for me." "Wow, how can you be against technology?"

Step 5: Make post summarizing my opinion of rationalist Tumblr. Yet more butthurt. Rationalists in general fail to understand what a figure of speech is, and think my words are a serious call for violence.

In conclusion, I am "a Barry Deutsche leftycartoon dressed up in enough prose to make it sound like something other than a gleeful caricature" and a coward.

Amazing and I appreciate the effort you went to to post that. Thank you. Holy poo poo though, that has got to be the single worst way for people who aren't a part of it to try to follow a conversation. It's a de-evolution from livejournal comments ffs. I'm an old now, officially, because I can't understand why people would inflict that form of communication on themselves.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Peztopiary posted:

Amazing and I appreciate the effort you went to to post that. Thank you. Holy poo poo though, that has got to be the single worst way for people who aren't a part of it to try to follow a conversation. It's a de-evolution from livejournal comments ffs. I'm an old now, officially, because I can't understand why people would inflict that form of communication on themselves.

n e t w o r k e x t e r n a l i t i e s

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

The "libertarian" in question was pretty clearly the latter type, though, so saying they should be punched in the face seems pretty excessive.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Peztopiary posted:

Tumblr is the most popular site for what it does, which is what makes it baffling how bad it is at what it does.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

The "libertarian" in question was pretty clearly the latter type, though, so saying they should be punched in the face seems pretty excessive.

Skim through the Noisebridge mock thread in yospos and then revisit the issue of whether or not they should be punched in the face.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Of all of those my favorite is

That was multiheaded, who used to be a lot more lucid. If she fills up your inbox with frothing insanity you've arrived on Rationalist-Adjacent Tumblr.

Oh, and all this was my fault, because I reblogged Curvature's posts to troll the post-rationalists.

Best summary post, by me of course (riding off tenaciousvoidcycle's).

tl;dr libertarian tears, tumblr is a piece of poo poo and everyone on it hates it too, I am a worse person for posting this.

but holy poo poo that Ozy post lol

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

divabot posted:

That was multiheaded, who used to be a lot more lucid. If she fills up your inbox with frothing insanity you've arrived on Rationalist-Adjacent Tumblr.

Oh, and all this was my fault, because I reblogged Curvature's posts to troll the post-rationalists.

Best summary post, by me of course (riding off tenaciousvoidcycle's).

tl;dr libertarian tears, tumblr is a piece of poo poo and everyone on it hates it too, I am a worse person for posting this.

but holy poo poo that Ozy post lol

You engage so we don't have to, so you're my favorite poster in this thread.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

You engage so we don't have to, so you're my favorite poster in this thread.

Yeah I appreciate divabot and Curvature of Earth (and I'm forgetting people I'm sure) for navigating the shittier corners of Tumblr so i can get my laffs quotient for the day :3:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Yeah I appreciate divabot and Curvature of Earth (and I'm forgetting people I'm sure) for navigating the shittier corners of Tumblr so i can get my laffs quotient for the day :3:

and Curvature just got an evening's inbox of incoherent abusive nonsense from multiheaded too! Truly, Curvature has arrived on rationalist tumblr.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Peztopiary posted:

Anthropologists Are On The Verge Of Figuring Out How You’re Supposed To Read Tumblr Comments

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Why do the biggest social media sites have such terrible interfaces

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
Apparently there was a SlateStarCodex meetup a month ago that I was unaware of, and as soon as I heard about it my first thought was "How many people there were racial realists?"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Apparently there was a SlateStarCodex meetup a month ago that I was unaware of, and as soon as I heard about it my first thought was "How many people there were racial realists?"
14 out of 88

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Skim through the Noisebridge mock thread in yospos and then revisit the issue of whether or not they should be punched in the face.

I'm just barely started on it but it seems like they're doing a fine enough job punching themselves in the face on their own.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I don't recall if I posted this guy before but he was pretty funny, until he stopped tweeting.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's too bad those MRAsterpiece Theater puppet guys never got their day in the sun.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I don't recall if I posted this guy before but he was pretty funny, until he stopped tweeting.

quote:

Start with a high IQ and practice magick. You'll learn to think Forbidden thoughts, unthinkable by proggies. Here's one: The old days were b

Pretty great :3:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

quote:

I want to kill people and take their things because they're brown and I blame their race for rape. I'm a careful thinker. @henrydampier

They left us too soon.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
What is ClarkHat thinking today? (A question I ask daily because I hate myself.)

ClarkHat thinks about white people!

ClarkHat clarifies that he doesn't really support genocide. Probably.

ClarkHat defends words from those filthy postmodernist progs.

ClarkHat proves he's a reactionary because he doesn't understand that analogies are not truth.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
I've had a couple rationalists IM me on Tumblr after the fallout passed, and they're all extremely nice. It's absolutely amazing. Personal chats with them are what everybody wishes discussion on the internet could be like.

divabot's mentioned something like this before: SSC is super-nice in person, therefore no one ever confronts him about his beliefs to his face. I think this might be a community-wide thing: everyone is polite. There's a cognitive wall between "politics" and "personal interactions". In the short and medium term, this fosters an extremely pleasant community. If you find normal internet discussion too heated and counterproductive for your tastes, then the rationalist community is ideal and generally welcoming.

In the long term, it invites and tolerates crackpots and bigots. Because their "safe space" is entirely oriented around politeness, anybody willing to (mostly) abide by that rule can stay forever. It creates a sort of cognitive blind spot, building a community where no one really makes the connection between "this person salivates for the suffering of millions" and "this person is bad and shouldn't be welcome here."

The rationalist community can't even recognize bad people. And with "confrontation" discouraged, they also preclude most mechanisms for removing bad people from a community. The rationalist movement is, ironically, the perfect petri dish for bad ideas.

Curvature of Earth has a new favorite as of 23:32 on Dec 20, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ClarkHat proves he's a reactionary because he doesn't understand that analogies are not truth.

#ParanoidSchizophrenic4Lyfe

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Honestly to semi-quote someone else I talked to once if the set of critiques that used to go into postmodern have any validity (anthropomorphism, semiotic investigation, identity politics, anti-empiricism and improper use of scientific words for political adventures) then a lot of those almost certainly apply to Less Wrong and Neo-Reaction

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

#ParanoidSchizophrenic4Lyfe

Eh, this comparison doesn't fly with me. I actually know a paranoid schizophrenic, and it turns out paranoia is intensely personal—not "lizard people are out to destroy western civilization" but rather "the television is watching ME and I'm ALONE and my friends are plotting to KILL ME."

ClarkHat's just an rear end in a top hat.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Eh, this comparison doesn't fly with me. I actually know a paranoid schizophrenic, and it turns out paranoia is intensely personal—not "lizard people are out to destroy western civilization" but rather "the television is watching ME and I'm ALONE and my friends are plotting to KILL ME."

ClarkHat's just an rear end in a top hat.

Fair enough.

I just think the talk of evil space memes controlling progs is a bit out-there. I don't want to actually dis people suffering from debilitating mental illnesses.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

divabot's mentioned something like this before: SSC is super-nice in person, therefore no one ever confronts him about his beliefs to his face. I think this might be a community-wide thing: everyone is polite. There's a cognitive wall between "politics" and "personal interactions". In the short and medium term, this fosters an extremely pleasant community. If you find normal internet discussion too heated and counterproductive for your tastes, then the rationalist community is ideal and generally welcoming.
Scott probably also has some of the mildest, or at least comparatively mild, views within his circles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Once, in my more degenerate days, I spent a night at Sudo Room, an Oakland makerspace with a fair amount of overlap with Noisebridge. I definitely remember hearing rants about cryptocurrency and polyamory, so I can see how it would be easy to mistake those guys for libertarians if internet libertarianism was the only context you'd heard those ideas discussed in.

Granted, lifestyle anarchists also deserve to be punched in the face, with the bonus that you're much more likely to get away with it.