Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Camoes posted:

I like how all these monstrous, expensive, massive building destroying machines are all shooting at a dead guy.

And missing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

And missing

If you play battlefront you'll find that's pretty accurate

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Camoes posted:

I like how all these monstrous, expensive, massive building destroying machines are all shooting at a dead guy.

BM. They're winning so badly they can showboat.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

They're fish. That's what they look like when they're not cut into sticks and frozen.

I've never seen a seething mass of them swarming onto land like the endless seeking limbs of a Lovecraftian horror before. Sorry.

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Only the insane equate pain with success.

Just makes me remember Zoofights really.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Robert Denby posted:

I love that awful dummy of Greedo you can see for a couple frames.

I like how the original movies had a lot of smoke going on. Turns out that if you shoot someone with an energy weapon, things burn! I think this was really lacking in the prequels, where everything was just CGI'd in.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Now that Disney owns the franchise, you think they'll ever release the original movies without all the added bullshit from the 90s?

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

veedubfreak posted:

Now that Disney owns the franchise, you think they'll ever release the original movies without all the added bullshit from the 90s?

iirc Lucas said that they lost the original reels, WHOOOPS, but maybe the Ghost of Walt can dig them up.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

veedubfreak posted:

Just hunt down the despecialized versions- they look amazing.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Count Roland posted:

I like how the original movies had a lot of smoke going on. Turns out that if you shoot someone with an energy weapon, things burn! I think this was really lacking in the prequels, where everything was just CGI'd in.

If you read some of David Drake's Hammers Slammers series he'll occasionally have a scene where someone gets shot by a plasma gun at short range. The temperature goes up by like ten degrees and the room gets really humid because someone just got converted to steam!

ESB gif request: that scene where the start destroyer bridge gets hit by the asteroid and in the next shot the one dudes hologram flickers out and no one seems to notice.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Poldarn posted:

ESB gif request: that scene where the start destroyer bridge gets hit by the asteroid and in the next shot the one dudes hologram flickers out and no one seems to notice.
I will get to this one soon!

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Just Offscreen posted:

Do what this guy says for real tho

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Just Offscreen posted:

Do this. They’re great.

Also, fulfilling a request:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

I love this massive bitchslap. It's actually kinda neat since it's the kind of thing Indiana Jones would throw but Ford is receiving it here instead.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Robert Denby posted:

:allears:

You are a saint.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

This right here was one of the things when I finally saw a widescreen version on TV was like 'what the gently caress have I been missing' moments

I saw it in the theater, but I was small, and had then watched it for years on TV in pan and crappy scan

For this scene, they just kept it all the way to the right so you never saw the one guy going 'oh wait NOOO'

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

hhhat posted:

This right here was one of the things when I finally saw a widescreen version on TV was like 'what the gently caress have I been missing' moments

I saw it in the theater, but I was small, and had then watched it for years on TV in pan and crappy scan

For this scene, they just kept it all the way to the right so you never saw the one guy going 'oh wait NOOO'

I had it in VHS in the 90s, and the scene was in there. Though that was the re-mastered version.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like how the whole bridge just instantly vanishes. Poor guy.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Robert Denby posted:

:swoon:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

veedubfreak posted:

They don't have the home video rights to the original trilogy, Fox has it for like 20 more years. Disney may try to buy them out, but haha.

Every time you talk or text, this man takes another bullet.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
It's that time of year! Time for me to haul out my Christmas tradition. Marvel at its special effects!

Its acting quality!

And its fight choreography!

Yes, it's Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, fresh from my brand-new Blu-ray copy! If you have any 'favorite' scenes you'd like to see, just ask.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

FredMSloniker posted:

It's that time of year! Time for me to haul out my Christmas tradition. Marvel at its special effects!

Its acting quality!

And its fight choreography!

Yes, it's Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, fresh from my brand-new Blu-ray copy! If you have any 'favorite' scenes you'd like to see, just ask.

I can absolutely guarantee you that no one involved in the creation of this movie thought anyone would be thinking about it 50 years later.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

FredMSloniker posted:

Freeze gun please!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Freeze gun please!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Friggen Chewy using a aimbot, someone get a server admin.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Star Wars Revisited needs more love. Some dude is sperging the hell out and redoing/despecializing all the original star wars films one by one. Most of the stuff he's doing is minor fixes or making the visuals better, but he's doing crazy stuff as well...

Like making a life-size copy of Han Solo in carbonite

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I bet he is a well adjusted fella

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
These gifs just remind me of how absolutely incompetent Star Wars characters are. There's just so many scenes of famous last words: "whoops." Flyin' in an asteroid belt, bumped into my wingman, whoops dead. Commanding a Star Destroyer. Wasn't paying attention. Whoops dead. Sneaking up on a stormtrooper. Oh poo poo I stepped on a stick. Whoops slapped in the face. There's some kind of genius in that sort of realism in an action movie. It's awesome.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like how instead of actually doing an effect they just have the elves stand still, which they can't quite do.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Nickiepoo posted:

iirc Lucas said that they lost the original reels, WHOOOPS, but maybe the Ghost of Walt can dig them up.

The original masters were poorly preserved. You can see the film damage in some of the older releases of the movies.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
The notion of preserving masters is a pretty new concept period, iirc

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

bobtheconqueror posted:

These gifs just remind me of how absolutely incompetent Star Wars characters are. There's just so many scenes of famous last words: "whoops." Flyin' in an asteroid belt, bumped into my wingman, whoops dead. Commanding a Star Destroyer. Wasn't paying attention. Whoops dead. Sneaking up on a stormtrooper. Oh poo poo I stepped on a stick. Whoops slapped in the face. There's some kind of genius in that sort of realism in an action movie. It's awesome.

Whoa there don't bother wasting laser photons on that escape pod, it might be empty.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

The Ape of Naples posted:

Not that this helps much but I'm pretty sure he's wearing a stormtrooper belt even though he ditched the armor. I don't know why a stormtrooper would have a grappling hook but it makes a little more sense than Luke having one.

DrBouvenstein posted:

How'd they even get on that platform? It looks completely isolated from any other walkway/floor.

Well that's two mysteries solved.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Dear Prudence posted:

Well that's two mysteries solved.

My God the image of some fed up imperial drone grumbling as he has to prepare to rappel up to his death ray platform with his dinky grappling hook has me in tears.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Camoes posted:

The Empire believes in the double-tap.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

It's not often mentioned in the design documents, but the back-left foot of the AT-AT has a stick that comes from the ground underneath it in order to make it fall down.

Also, why the hell are all the TIE fighters overly blue? Something to do with the now-outdated composting effects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

It's not often mentioned in the design documents, but the back-left foot of the AT-AT has a stick that comes from the ground underneath it in order to make it fall down.
You sure it comes from the ground underneath?