Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

bassguitarhero posted:

Damage in this game is weird. I had the mark, the pact, the pentagram, brimstone, maw of the void, succumbed, synth oil, cat o nine tails, and tech .5 and died to hush's flies because they took 2 or 3 brimstone blasts to kill. You'd have thought I'd be doing more damage than that.

Hush's flies have a ton of iframes when they first come out. They have the same health as the double red flies but you need to wait a few seconds before dealing with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Just threw away a surefire Onan's Streak win. Had picked up Polyphemus and Dead Onion, creating a sizable tear that pretty much always hit something and passed through objects. Then I picked up explosivo by accident.

Turns out if an enemy you hit with a sticky shot teleports or digs, and that shot drops to the ground, it counts as a miss. gently caress.

Oh well, only Brains! and Onan's Streak left. And Blinding Baby- how do I get that?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

JVNO posted:

Oh well, only Brains! and Onan's Streak left. And Blinding Baby- how do I get that?

Use Blank Card while holding The Sun. Once I learned that it wasn't the full card on hard mode unlock for The Lost I just scummed greed mode runs for it and got it like 3 runs in.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Ugh. Trying to get my hard mode clears with Eve. Was breaking the game pretty handily using restock and chaos and blank card and jera. Hadn't done that before so I overpopulated the shop to the point I just gave up. Ended up finding a die room set to 1 and figured since I had a lot of mediocre items, I may as well hit it, got some crazy combination that was even more brutally powerful than before, that basically could one shot everything with a chocolate milk piercing shot transcendent my reflection with mega range giant gently caress off multidirectional burst that would wipe rooms. Found a sacrifice room, and figured since I had curse of the tower and prize bombs and sack head, I may as well grab dad's key from the angels to clear mega satan on hard mode. Got the first half no problem, but the second angel showed up and I got hit by my own curse of the tower bomb activated by the sacrifice while I was charging the shot to kill it, and apparently I also had the cursed eye, got teleported out of the room losing the chance for the 2nd half of the key, hosed around on the rest of the floor and went back to grab a full health pill I'd left, just in case I ended up blowing myself up with bob's brain and curse of the tower. room was so full of junk, and had so many familiars, I accidentally hit the spikes again, skipping mom's heart, and the cathedral as planned, and went straight to the dark room. Wiped every room hoping to snag Dad's Key, but no luck, so an hour long run with the most ridiculous death machine I've ever had, and I ended up only getting the mark for the negative. If I were just a little more careful, coulda snagged heart, mega satan and cathedral trivially. Oh well, at least I got to have tears so ridiculous they blocked out vision of the whole screen, that's a first for me.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

dis astranagant posted:

Hush's flies have a ton of iframes when they first come out. They have the same health as the double red flies but you need to wait a few seconds before dealing with them.

Yeah it's weird because they clearly take the hits, it's just that they do no damage for x seconds. I was confused too until I went into the fight with spider mod.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Beautiful Eden seed. Started with Cat 9 Tails, soon found 8 Inch Nails, then got Forget me Not to restart B1. Also found a 5 pip dice room to restart C2. Mega Satan just melted away.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Toxic Shock is easily one of my favorite new items. It's super good.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
What's the best way to get Mega Blast? It's the last item I need on my list.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ryuga Death posted:

What's the best way to get Mega Blast? It's the last item I need on my list.

figure out a way to generate infinite rerolls with isaac and just reroll the devil room until you get it

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

if you have good damage, you can farm krampus by quitting to title just as he dies and the pedestal spawns. this will respawn the krampus, allowing you to work hard and make many pedestals upon which to reroll

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Grapplejack posted:

Toxic Shock is easily one of my favorite new items. It's super good.

An Eden run I got starting with that eventually led to me taking down hush and the lamb

it's good as gently caress

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It feels like they increased the appearance rate of Mega in a recent patch. I just got it as a devil deal on three consecutive runs.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Samuel Clemens posted:

It feels like they increased the appearance rate of Mega in a recent patch. I just got it as a devil deal on three consecutive runs.

I just got it but I don't know about this maybe you just got super lucky? Or I got super unlucky. But I brute forced it. See I got tech X and then Krampus on caves 2 so I tried the technique someone posted above about fighting him and restarting and getting another pedestal. It works!!! I must have had like 12 pedestals before I messed it up. So I rerolled those lumps of coal once nothing but picked up goathead. Rerolled again nothing. Rerolled yet again, nothing! All my rerolls fro that floor exhausted. Next floor devil room just one item so rerolled it not the right thing. Rerolled it again finally it was Mega. FINALLY got 1001%. But it was the absolute last thing in that pool that came through because after that it was other items might have even been the angel room pool.

I don't like making those things that super super rare after you unlock them. I mean rare is fine but that jesus christ. Like someone said just before varied play is what makes Isaac fun.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I love the serpents kiss or whatever gives you like unlimited black hears via kills. Fighting Duke of flys is like the best stock up method

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm kicking the boots on some streaming software I downloaded the other day, if anyone wants to watch me play binding of isaac for a run or two. I just want to make sure I got the sound and everything working, and the levels are okay.

Twitch.tv/H4lberd

edit: thank you to whoever helped me with my levels!

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 20, 2015

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Cleared all of Hard mom's heart, boss rush, hush, cathedral, chest in a Lost run just now. It feels so good, shielded tears are the greatest thing ever.

Meanwhile my keeper post it note is completely blank though, gently caress that guy.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
So when I first got Afterbirth back in october all my completion marks bugged out, and I know that's a common thing, and until now it wasn't a problem. But now that I have The Lost, The Keeper and Lilith it's getting harder to actually remember what I have to do with each one. Is there a way to fix it?

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

So when I first got Afterbirth back in october all my completion marks bugged out, and I know that's a common thing, and until now it wasn't a problem. But now that I have The Lost, The Keeper and Lilith it's getting harder to actually remember what I have to do with each one. Is there a way to fix it?

not without reimporting all your saves

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

I love the serpents kiss or whatever gives you like unlimited black hears via kills. Fighting Duke of flys is like the best stock up method

It saved my rear end on Hush as Judas, when he spits out the flies or those blue wandering mobs they practically fill up the health bar.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

LibbyM posted:

Meanwhile my keeper post it note is completely blank though, gently caress that guy.

Once you get the wooden coin and the store key it becomes way easier, you can get them on normal mode. If you manage to get a swallowed penny it is like easy mode.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Normal mode doesn't really matter for Keeper though since the biggest change is that bosses drop hearts.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Do not do today's daily.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Man, I watched an old video of flash Isaac the other day and it reminded me that although graphics and gameplay are so much better now, the sound in Re/Afterbirth is way worse. The music, the effects, even something as simple as the sound Isaac makes when hit or the "HATE" and "BLOOOOOD" of Famine were better in the original.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Prop Wash posted:

Man, I watched an old video of flash Isaac the other day and it reminded me that although graphics and gameplay are so much better now, the sound in Re/Afterbirth is way worse. The music, the effects, even something as simple as the sound Isaac makes when hit or the "HATE" and "BLOOOOOD" of Famine were better in the original.

Wait, THAT'S what Famine is saying? I thought he was always saying "HEY" or "BLAAAGH"

Also yeah the music in this game is awful, it all sounds the loving same. It's either lovely guitar riff followed by ominous noise, an annoying droning sound (The shop for example), or ROCK THEME WITH CHANTING

its loving dumb. Also, no original shop music in Rebirth 0/10

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Fortunately you can put the old music back with a quick bit of modding.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Kawalimus posted:

Do not do today's daily.

Came here to post this. It's Maggy with no damage ups, but a few familiars and tears ups, just enough to get your hopes up that a damage up will really get you off the ground. At least I did learn that if you're required to do Mega Satan and use a Forget Me Now on The Chest, the door will still open even though you no longer have the key. I don't think that's true on a non-Mega-Satan-daily run.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I picked up strange attractor for some reason and still managed 81st in time and 650th score. I would have done so much better if I hadn't :negative:

e: I think the only damage up I found was ceremonial robes in a devil deal.

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Nooooooo...!

I hate playing with brittle characters like Judas. More red hearts, MORE! I had a good run going with him too, had those huge tears (polyphemus or something), monstro's lung, money is power with almost 99 coins, transdimensional baby and a few damage and speed ups. Was one shotting everything inlucding bosses, but charging up the attack took such a long time I inevitably got hit. Had two red hearts and maybe 3 or 4 blue hearts at best. Got a health down pill right afterwards though, should've bought that PHD when I could. Died due to a cramped room with three of those ominous looking skull things that spew red flies at me. One blew up up on me and got hit a couple times by the red flies trying to buy time to charge up the attack. Didn't even reach Mum :(

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Major Helper posted:

Nooooooo...!

I hate playing with brittle characters like Judas. More red hearts, MORE! I had a good run going with him too, had those huge tears (polyphemus or something), monstro's lung, money is power with almost 99 coins, transdimensional baby and a few damage and speed ups. Was one shotting everything inlucding bosses, but charging up the attack took such a long time I inevitably got hit. Had two red hearts and maybe 3 or 4 blue hearts at best. Got a health down pill right afterwards though, should've bought that PHD when I could. Died due to a cramped room with three of those ominous looking skull things that spew red flies at me. One blew up up on me and got hit a couple times by the red flies trying to buy time to charge up the attack. Didn't even reach Mum :(

:shobon: You'll get there

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Don't take pills.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Always take pills.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

mcvey posted:

Always take pills.

Tears Down on a lovely Eden start

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Kawalimus posted:

Do not do today's daily.

It's fine if you take the Pony along for the extra speed and manage to pick up Serpent's Kiss in the Boss Rush. A bit slow, but very survivable.

Apparently you could become Guppy as well, but I somehow missed the Head on the first floor.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

VineST posted:

Tears Down on a lovely Eden start

Restart the run, no such thing as a lovely Eden start.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

BillmasterCozb posted:

Wait, THAT'S what Famine is saying? I thought he was always saying "HEY" or "BLAAAGH"

Also yeah the music in this game is awful, it all sounds the loving same. It's either lovely guitar riff followed by ominous noise, an annoying droning sound (The shop for example), or ROCK THEME WITH CHANTING

its loving dumb. Also, no original shop music in Rebirth 0/10

I miss the original Womb song

I never got the old music mod working for Afterbirth :(

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Well, that cut it quite close. Got another good if dangerous Judas run. Got ipecac at start and then nothing much after that. Then I picked up cricket's body and ohgodwhydidIdothat. Cue like 3-4 levels of sweating blood trying to stay alive even harder than with just ipecac. Thankfully I got a fair few health ups (blessed red hearts, how I love thee. Why do people prefer black/blue?). Beat Mum's heart and Satan on hard with Judas so, yay!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Major Helper posted:

Why do people prefer black/blue

Because you get more devil deals if you don't take red heart damage, and aside from being excellent and/or having the holy mantle the best way to guarantee this is by having the black/blue buffer.

You also get Polaroid/Negative activations on all hits if you have no red health

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I take back what I said about Lilith being meh. That's only if you don't have her unlockable item. Oh man, that gives her a massive boost, and it's probably one of the best on hit items in the game. Actually, what are the good on hit items? Normally I hate those, but I think there's actually quite a few of those that are worth picking up now.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Stopwatch :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Milk.