Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

BJPaskoff posted:

I watched F is for Family so you don't have to. It's utter trash, seriously. Shallow characters, predictable plots, "ironic" racism that is so bad it becomes actual racism, and stilted animation.

I dunno I liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

Is there anything similar to Lost in Translation on Netflix? I have way too much free time on my hands during the holiday break and need to get caught up in some sappy love-in-foreign-country movies

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Making of a Murderer will make you yell at the TV so warn your neighbors

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Junkie Disease posted:

Just finished it. Weekend ruined

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Junkie Disease posted:

I just started this. Good lord how does this guy not lawyer up immediately when the murder investigation starts. 8 more episodes of this? I'm going to lose my mind.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

red19fire posted:

I just started this. Good lord how does this guy not lawyer up immediately when the murder investigation starts. 8 more episodes of this? I'm going to lose my mind.

IQ 70 is a nightmare to deal with. The last episode has a few elements they reveal that make me wish the dug a bit more into "Tree with one branch guy specifically". And the biggest elephant in the room Who the hell did the deed and snuck onto the street that literally has the family name on it and not be seen burning the body and tossing evidence everywhere? I know there was the 8 days of police controlling the crime scene but seriously who and better yet how?

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 20, 2015

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Junkie Disease posted:

IQ 70 is a nightmare to deal with. The last episode has a few elements they reveal that make me wish the dug a bit more into "Tree with one branch guy specifically". And the biggest elephant in the room Who the hell did the deed and snuck onto the street that literally has the family name on it and not be seen burning the body and tossing evidence everywhere? I know there was the 8 days of police controlling the crime scene but seriously who and better yet how?

On your last point it seemed like the defense was trying to argue that the body was burnt at another location and the remains were moved to the fire pit behind the house. They pointed out another burn site where they found pelvis bones in a rock quarry a bit outside the Avery property

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The first episode of making a murderer was good but I'm having trouble figuring out how this is going to justify 10 hours of content.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
It's pretty good and the content is there, but man is it one of the most one-sided documentaries that I've seen. I don't think that anyone can watch that and and not be swayed by it which I guess is probably the point.

They really make him out to be a better guy than he really is. I mean the entire cat thing wasn't some happy accident around the fire when he was young like they make it out to be.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
What are some good horror movies on netflix? I like psychological horror, body horror but I hate jump scares as they have absolutely no value besides being annoying as hell (with some musical shrill and the camera zooming in on something SOOMGHORRIFYING, oh, it was just the cat..)

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
So, the list of titles being added/leaving Netflix in January has been released, and it's ugly.

I'm honesty thinking of cancelling my subscription until they get some decent new stuff. That's a whole lot of quality movies (or at least interesting ones) that are going away in exchange for what... Meet the Parents?

Wish I understood the intricacies of movie licensing for streaming, cause it really seems like Netflix is getting screwed here.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

NeoSeeker posted:

What are some good horror movies on netflix? I like psychological horror, body horror but I hate jump scares as they have absolutely no value besides being annoying as hell (with some musical shrill and the camera zooming in on something SOOMGHORRIFYING, oh, it was just the cat..)

Hellraiser 1 & 2, Re-Animator, Rosemary's Baby (leaving January 1), Wes Craven's New Nightmare, The Nightmare.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Goddammit, there goes half of My List.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

NeoSeeker posted:

What are some good horror movies on netflix?

The Babadook

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

So, the list of titles being added/leaving Netflix in January has been released, and it's ugly.

I'm honesty thinking of cancelling my subscription until they get some decent new stuff. That's a whole lot of quality movies (or at least interesting ones) that are going away in exchange for what... Meet the Parents?

Wish I understood the intricacies of movie licensing for streaming, cause it really seems like Netflix is getting screwed here.

Wow, there's like 3 things i want to see in january. Maybe I'll give it a break for 6 months.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

red19fire posted:

Wow, there's like 3 things i want to see in january.
I'm just gonna watch The Rundown three times.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I will gladly trade the entire Rocky franchise for season ten of It's Always Sunny. I'm okay with January, even looking forward to it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Sarchasm posted:

I will gladly trade the entire Rocky franchise for season ten of It's Always Sunny. I'm okay with January, even looking forward to it.

Being able to watch Charlie Work on demand is definitely going to be nice.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
drat, that's rough. I'm glad that I got through all the Rambos already and have a Blu-Ray of Lawrence of Arabia, at least.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Gang Learns About Streaming Rights Negotations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idoYCVLh2qI

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
There Will Be Blood...

But seriously watch that movie before it's gone. From netflix at least.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sarchasm posted:

Hell yes.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Sarchasm posted:

The Babadook

He said no jump scares, but The Babadook does that kinda stuff great. The Babadook rules.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Also remember not everything they added is on these lists, the fun part of the first of every month is searching through and finding the less popular titles that suddenly show up.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I didn't even know half of the good movies on that list that are leaving, were even on the list.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I was looking at Netflix yesterday and it said Breakfast At Tiffany's was only available till Jan. 1st. So I'm guessing there's more stuff leaving than that list has.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Looking forward to the Tom Segura special. Netflix has had quite a few new stand up specials from some of my favorites recently. So I can't really complain too much.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I finally got to watch The Hitcher last night (Comcast on-demand) with Rutger Hauer & C Thomas Howell and was kind of let down. I thought Hauer and Howell were both very good in their respective roles, but something about the pacing of the movie made it feel super long. I did love the Central Texas setting, and I felt like parts of it could have inspired No Country For Old Men (Cat and mouse fighting, 80's Texas location/costuming, hyper violence, unstoppable boogeyman).

X-Ray Pecs posted:

He said no jump scares, but The Babadook does that kinda stuff great. The Babadook rules.

Are there any horror movies made in the past 30 years that don't have jump scares of any kind?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Parachute posted:

Are there any horror movies made in the past 30 years that don't have jump scares of any kind?

http://aretherejumpscares.com/best-horror-movies-with-no-jump-scares

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There's an all-time great jump scare in Under the Skin, which is one of the most interesting, creative, and visually impressive sci fi films of the past 20 years. So if you're completely against all jump scares you'll miss out on some great stuff.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

There's an all-time great jump scare in Under the Skin, which is one of the most interesting, creative, and visually impressive sci fi films of the past 20 years. So if you're completely against all jump scares you'll miss out on some great stuff.

People who are super against jump scares always seem to be the type of people who never admit when a movie really scares them, and feel jump scares are really cheap because they can be super effective even when telegraphed a mile away.

Jacob's Ladder doesn't have any jump scares? Maybe it's time for a rewatch.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I don't think I'd really qualify anything that happens in Under the Skin as a jump scare. but I do agree that (a) it's a great movie and (b) holding a blanket policy of no jump scares is kinda stupid

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Parachute posted:

People who are super against jump scares always seem to be the type of people who never admit when a movie really scares them, and feel jump scares are really cheap because they can be super effective even when telegraphed a mile away.

Jump scares shouldn't even be called scares. There is no element of fear involved. Jump startle or jump shock would be more accurate. It's a quick, involuntary response. The cinematic equivalent of making someone sneeze by blowing dust into their face. They can be used to good effect if the director is actually talented, but for the most part they are cheap tricks used as a crutch in poo poo movies.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Phantoms, Phantoms is the jump scare movie you want. It has excellent jump scares like body parts in places that don't make sense even for the story, friends who jump out of corners for no reason.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I don't think I'd really qualify anything that happens in Under the Skin as a jump scare. but I do agree that (a) it's a great movie and (b) holding a blanket policy of no jump scares is kinda stupid

The big reveal scene includes a music sting that makes me jump out of my seat every time because of how scary the situation already is to begin with.

Chichevache posted:

Jump scares shouldn't even be called scares. There is no element of fear involved. Jump startle or jump shock would be more accurate. It's a quick, involuntary response. The cinematic equivalent of making someone sneeze by blowing dust into their face. They can be used to good effect if the director is actually talented, but for the most part they are cheap tricks used as a crutch in poo poo movies.

Effective jump scares are all about fear, only the lazy ones are about a cheap shock. A good jump scare works because of what precedes it, and its not easy to build fear and tension to that level. The audience will only be startled if they were on edge due to fear, so the startle or shock is the payoff, and it is earned.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The big reveal scene includes a music sting that makes me jump out of my seat every time because of how scary the situation already is to begin with.

Which scene is this? At first I thought you were talking about when that one dude gets drained but there's no music sting there

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Which scene is this? At first I thought you were talking about when that one dude gets drained but there's no music sting there

I could absolutely swear there was one in that scene. Its so clear in my mind and I've seen the movie twice. Is it possible I'm imagining this? The scene is absolutely terrifying so maybe it was just in my head.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I could absolutely swear there was one in that scene. Its so clear in my mind and I've seen the movie twice. Is it possible I'm imagining this? The scene is absolutely terrifying so maybe it was just in my head.

there's that gross "pop" noise when the guy deflates but I took that to be a diagetic sound effect. It's definitely a great shock moment, but I feel like it's mixed too low and has too much lead-in to really be a jump scare (although I realize I'm completely splitting hairs here) definitely a horrifying moment, either way.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Yeah, I suggested The Babadook because even though it has a couple BOO moments they aren't used in place of actual dread.

Under the Skin is another great option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Are we defining jump scares as any "Sudden outburst of scary thing"? Because if so The Fly shouldn't be on the list (the inside-out baboon first slamming against the telepod door) and it does become hard to find any horror movie which never tries that.