Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I think the key quote is:

quote:

Please, stop converting what seemed a true dream (being able to perform relevant modifications in CoreCLR & CoreFX) in meaningless conversations which I don't want to have.

dude wants to be able to say that he contributed to the clr and just doesn't understand why the mean bullies are stopping him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
hmm, actually reading the documentation closely, it seems like it doesn't guarantee that "1,,,2" would be valid. "1,2" = 12 is definitely guaranteed behavior though.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Plorkyeran posted:

dude wants to be able to say that he contributed to the clr and just doesn't understand why the mean bullies are stopping him

"!data"

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Yeah. It's the right thing to do until it's not, which is why there should be a separate function for strict behavior. If I had his use case, I'd probably just write my own wrapper around tryParse that does the grouping checking (probably using a regex?) and then call tryParse itself.

I'm curious what the case would be where it's not. I've been thinking of examples but can't come up with one. I think that requiring someone to write a wrapper function if there's a more strict parsing requirement exists makes the most sense.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ochowie posted:

I'm curious what the case would be where it's not. I've been thinking of examples but can't come up with one. I think that requiring someone to write a wrapper function if there's a more strict parsing requirement exists makes the most sense.

Dunno, I assume either a weird locale/culture thing.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

tef posted:

i know a golang dev who lurks here too.

is he a glutton for punishment?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

the talent deficit posted:

i'm using vscode with the elm plugin, elm-reactor and manually refreshing firefox

i'm still relatively new to elm but i built an internal interface to our database management tools with elm + python/flask and it was basically the greatest experience of my professional career

cool, i like it too

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Ey, stupid, I can laugh at you (at your ignorance and at your lack of capability to understand even the simplest idea) and let you think that you have everything under control. But, piece of poo poo, don't ever dare to insult me when I am present.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I actually thought it would be about how , was the decimal separator in some languages.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Ochowie posted:

I think he has a better argument with the fact that "1,,,,,," parses to 1 but honestly I fail to see how ignoring the grouping delimiter isn't always the sane thing to do. One question I had reading that thread, how does .NET currently treat locale-specific grouping delimiters (e.g. In many countries '.' is the group delimiter).

those countries are retarded so nobody cares about them

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Suspicious Dish posted:

I actually thought it would be about how

if only

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

if you can already pass a locale parameter to tryParse, the sane thing to do would be to add a rw boolean property to locales that indicate whether they should be strict about thousands delimiters, then update the original tryParse to respect that

then insane developers who want to deal with users who type in 1,,,5 can just set locale.strictThousandsDelimiters = True and everyone else can keep going as they have

imo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it is a parser not a validator

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

antlr parses code and gives you an ast but it doesn't tell you if your ast is poo poo or not

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Bloody posted:

antlr parses code and gives you an ast but it doesn't tell you if your ast is poo poo or not

it is

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Bloody posted:

it is a parser not a validator

parsing includes at least partial validation already

im not saying the dude is right, im just offering a solution that would be the least insensible if you really wanted to do such a dumb thing

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

What gets me about this is that if I think about handling numerical input that could have the grouping separator, the first thing I would look to do is strip those out and see if I had a valid number. That seems to be exactly what TryParse does, but instead this guy wants to it handle every bizarre edge case that users could come up with.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
how does this thread manage to just spontaneously fishmech itself

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

one cannot fishmech, one can only be fishmeched

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

tef posted:

python's had two goons at the very least, i know a golang dev who lurks here too. yospos gets everywhere i guess

lol must be tough for that guy

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Volte posted:

Next we're going to be complaining about HTML parsers that accept malformed HTML.

we should tell that guy about those and see just how bad his 'tism relaly is.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Sauer posted:

we should tell that guy about those and see just how bad his 'tism relaly is.

rip xhtml

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
me about the fate of xhtml --> :qq:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hi someone point me to a deece learn you a scala thing thanks in advance

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Bloody posted:

scala is like c++ because it has tons of novel, sometimes conflicting features and people generally pick a subset of them to avoid going insane.

i've read through a good bit of scala for the impatient and it gives a "learn you a haskell" paced introduction.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
if you ever type the word 'implicit' you should have a good think about your life

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Bloody posted:

odersky's coursera course is useful

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

FamDav posted:

scala is like c++ because it has tons of novel, sometimes conflicting features and people generally pick a subset of them to avoid going insane.

i've read through a good bit of scala for the impatient and it gives a "learn you a haskell" paced introduction.

Yeah true to be more specific I'm interested in functional scala

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

gonadic io posted:

if you ever type the word 'implicit' you should have a good think about your life

i remember starting on this project and looking at breeze since we use it.

scala is not worth it.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

ya, i don't understand why you'd do a new thing in scala. pick clojure or frege depending on how you feel about static typing

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Bloody posted:

Yeah true to be more specific I'm interested in functional scala

if you're just doing this for personal development and not because you need it for work learn f#, haskell, elm or clojure. scala is a miserable experience

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

gonadic io posted:

this times about a billion

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
"yes let's magically populate function parameters based on context. this is sane and never confusing."

-a scala

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Brain Candy posted:

ya, i don't understand why you'd do a new thing in scala. pick clojure or frege depending on how you feel about static typing

scala is going to persist in ML so long as spark is a thing, though with dataframes not incurring a real performance penalty in python i could see scala being an implementation detail.

frege is a good idea and somebody competent should do it.

clojure is the best out of the three but is missing good, consistent static typing.

turns out that what you really wanted in the first place is java 8 :shaggar:

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

FamDav posted:

clojure is the best out of the three but is missing good, consistent static typing.

rich hickey claims this is feature not a bug and i'm beginning to believe him

i get the case for optional typing because hey sometimes you have invariants that you want to preserve. fine and good. but every nanosecond spent translating my Butt type to your Butt type is a nanosecond wasted.

i like compile time errors, but i don't like the architecture they direct you towards, where you have to design all your nouns up front

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

imo, Conway's law effects how static typing works for you. if you can roll with a big monothic static typing is great but if you are gluing smaller things together it turns into busy work

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
working with erlang a bit has certainly made me more open to the idea that complex mutable data is the real problem, not type safety

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
complex mutable data is a problem in your application, but lack of type safety is a huge problem in the downstream applications consuming your code

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I need kind of tooling to tell me what kind of thing i have and help me reliably understand whether I'm writing valid code or not and static typing makes that a lot easier to accomplish

I guess a simple, flexible-ish type checker like TypeScript manages to accomplish a lot of this too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

what if we... had complex mutable types? :2bong: