Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

VolticSurge posted:

Can't, it's a family-owned business. :(

Disown family, quit job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

VolticSurge posted:

Finally,someone who agrees with me! :hfive: My friends all think I'm an idiot for disliking the later parts of that show,calling it "deep" and "epic",and claiming I "don't get it". They also think Build Fighters Try is the best anime ever,so they're imbeciles. And before anyone says,"sever",I sadly can't because they're my co-workers.

Unfortunately I disagree, for me I'm really attached to the characters and seeing them gradually become accepted by Bungie/343 Industries as an official part of the Halo canon is pretty baller. I think this might be largely because I like the Halo story as a non-lovely non-pro-Fascism version of Starship Troopers so seeing RvB turn into something that slots easily into that universe while still maintaining the comedic elements of the early seasons is something I feel I can like.

I mean sure I can understand your perspective, the show started as a comedic deconstruction of the FPS genre and it becoming "serious" is a bit of a surprise that not everyone can accept but on the other hand that turn to seriousness in it's narrative also is what probably made RT the success it is.

I've never seen Build fighters Try so I have that going for me I think.

On the other hand I think it isn't entirely accurate to put the Knight of Cerebus moment with the revelation of Church being an AI with RvB:Reconstruction, I think things turned serious back in the original five season run sometime around them porting to the Halo 2 engine when the freelancer plot kicked into high gear. The stuff with the Elites and the sword and Wyoming while very comedic did introduce some real stakes and the first elements of heroism into the characters.

Similarly I think RWBY obviously was meant to have a plot from the beginning; it just took its time with the world building in season 1&2 so it was maybe more hidden? I dunno.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Range Murata, one of the best illustrators in Japan, did friggin fanart for RWBY. drat.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ccs posted:

Range Murata, one of the best illustrators in Japan, did friggin fanart for RWBY. drat.

It's technically anime.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rwby is good

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

no

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
yes

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

So good all you can say about it is that it's good and nothing else

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nothing else needs to be said, it speaks for itself

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I liked the part in season 2 where the catgirl explicitly referred to her battle skills as symbolism for her cowardice.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ccs posted:

I think one of those was actually promotional art. I swear I saw that as manga promo art. Or something that looks like it. Or the place where I saw it (likely not official) just took that art from gis and used it.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I still love the OST.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

i liked the part where penny threw rwby in the trash

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I don't like how this and last season have basically been following the same narrative structure: the first half is just spinning the wheels in place for mostly pointless worldbuilding, and the second is the actual major conflict that ends up resolving like a wet fart.

I mean, as fun(?) as the tournament stuff is... What loving purpose does it actually serve in the grand scheme of things? Almost assuredly jack and poo poo, right? So... Why waste time on something that'll become completely inconsequential when the "real" plot kicks in, and not just start with the actual plot from the getgo?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Regalingualius posted:

I don't like how this and last season have basically been following the same narrative structure: the first half is just spinning the wheels in place for mostly pointless worldbuilding, and the second is the actual major conflict that ends up resolving like a wet fart.

I mean, as fun(?) as the tournament stuff is... What loving purpose does it actually serve in the grand scheme of things? Almost assuredly jack and poo poo, right? So... Why waste time on something that'll become completely inconsequential when the "real" plot kicks in, and not just start with the actual plot from the getgo?

Tournaments are a common tactic in Shonen manga to boost ratings. They allow you to show off a lot of character's abilities, are an easy excuse for big battles, and allow for spectacle.

Good shonen manga tend to intergrate the tournament into the plot. But RWBY...

Edit: I know RWBY isn't a shonen manga, but it is borrowing from it.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

No doubt someone on the writing team was on a Flame of Recca or Yu Yu Hakusho binge while drafting the overall RWBY storyline on a napkin.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Covok posted:

Tournaments are a common tactic in Shonen manga to boost ratings. They allow you to show off a lot of character's abilities, are an easy excuse for big battles, and allow for spectacle.

Good shonen manga tend to intergrate the tournament into the plot. But RWBY...

Edit: I know RWBY isn't a shonen manga, but it is borrowing from it.

tbf rwby didn't have a plot until like the latest episode.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Level Slide posted:

No doubt someone on the writing team was on a Flame of Recca or Yu Yu Hakusho binge while drafting the overall RWBY storyline on a napkin.

In the case of Yu Yu, it worked because we the audience all knew it was building up to the final round with Toguro. Here, all we've gotten is the villain team making vague threats of what's to come, and by all appearances, the tournament doesn't factor into their plans at all.*

*I'm probably 2-3 episodes behind at this point, so I dunno if it's already turned out to actually be vitally important to their plot

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SyntheticPolygon posted:

tbf rwby didn't have a plot until like the latest episode.

This really isn't true.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

It still doesn't.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Rwby has a plot, poorly paced, barely there

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Schroedinger's plot. It's not there if I don't look.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

BattleCattle posted:

It still doesn't.

How are we defining plot? Because this kinda baffles me because by any reasonable definition there is one; sure, argue or debate if it's any good sure but there's a plot.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
RWBY's plot so far:

There are monsters oh no, wait they're dead now nevermind.

A man in a pimp outfit is probably up to no good.

Nobody likes furries.

Robocops are now everywhere.

Also Jean is here.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rwby's plot is intricately hidden through a woven web of deeper character implications and political intrigue

It's like the King's Speech but with hot anime girls

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Regalingualius posted:

Here, all we've gotten is the villain team making vague threats of what's to come
They've been doing this for two seasons now. Have they made progress beyond "Mercury and that green-haired chick made snide remarks about the teams, Cinder smiles enigmatically"?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The Penny/Ruby ship-name is 'Nuts and Dolts' proving the show fans are better comedians than the show writers.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Team Villain Bad Guys have done gently caress all except add the girl named after Ice Cream from last season to their group and she looks even dumber in her disguise than she normally does.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Pierson posted:

They've been doing this for two seasons now. Have they made progress beyond "Mercury and that green-haired chick made snide remarks about the teams, Cinder smiles enigmatically"?

As far as I can tell, nothing that's actually happened on-screen. I mean, there was that attempt to swarm over the protagonists' home with monsters at the end of S2, but that was hilariously easily taken care of (hence "major conflict resolving like a big wet fart"). And... That whole subplot about Cinder getting access to their network during the dance. Plus the guy from the Black trailer making a dramatic reappearance at the end of the second season... And just as suddenly vanishing again (so far).

Really, I think that the biggest problem with the writing is that it's focusing way too much on the protagonists and mostly pointless worldbuilding fluff, and not enough on actually developing those subplots that are supposed to be leading to some grand reveal of what the villains have been plotting and executing. Just having the villains go "just as planned" every time they appear on-screen does jack poo poo for building suspense; actually showing us significant hints and signs of their progress throughout the story, instead of dumping it all out near the end of the work, does.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What the gently caress was the point of anything Roman did and why did he act like him being locked up was no big deal

I DUNNO FIND OUT IN THREE SEASON ON RWBY WHEN WE REMEMBER TO DO THIS

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The season stinger is gonna cut to him in his cell, slowly coming to the hilarious realization his comrades completely forgot about him, isn't it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I can't wait for the post season 3 full rewatch with my friend baal

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's pretty loving bad when it takes 2 and 1/2 seasons before you even get a hint about what the main antagonist is trying to do.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Namtab posted:

I can't wait for the post season 3 full rewatch with my friend baal

Same, but with my friend namtab

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I can't go back. I turned from this path long ago.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

I was on and off about rvb getting more serious the best way to look at it is a bunch of friends slowly trying to figure out film and writing concepts but being far better at goofy satire .

Some times it made for cool scenes some times it was super flat and terrible which rwby continues the tradition of.

Also if you think the halo story is a non fascist version of star ship troopers your out of your mind.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

If you get me started on Halo, I'm never going to stop bitching.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You don't have to reply to every post

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If he posting goes under 6 posts per minute the bus explodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Zasze posted:

I was on and off about rvb getting more serious the best way to look at it is a bunch of friends slowly trying to figure out film and writing concepts but being far better at goofy satire .

Some times it made for cool scenes some times it was super flat and terrible which rwby continues the tradition of.

Also if you think the halo story is a non fascist version of star ship troopers your out of your mind.

Starship Troopers is all about Heinlein espousing how much better the US would be if it became some sort of garrison police state always at war with the Communist "hordes"; the Halo franchise has never once to my mind done anything similar to give even subtext of being pro-fascism.

Back to RvB though, the original claim was that it was baffling how it went from this 'good funny series' to "awful bullshit" when it had been transitioning to its serious plot elements in its third season of the Blood Gulch Chronicles strikes me as being rather revisionist.

• Locked thread