Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Beefstew posted:

It was a dick move to leave Luke on Tatooine. Maybe he's trying to recreate his "success", since apparently traditional, institutional Jedi training leads to school shooters like Ren adn Anakin. Maybe he thought she had to grow into it.
Maybe he left her there after poo poo hit the fan when nerd vader went to the dark side? There seems to be some connection between her waiting for years for someone and Luke missing. Also lightsaber went for her and not nerd vader and it belonged to luke.

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

AndyElusive posted:

If Rey is Luke's daughter like some people are guessing, then who's the mother? Phasma? :tinfoil:

I assume we will get a flashback that shows her mother and Luke together. Disney/Marvel used some pretty hot poo poo deaging CGI in Ant-Man with Michael Douglas, and it could be used really effectively in just one scene to show the downfall of Luke's new Jedi Order.

My theory is that he sent Rey off with her mother once her saw hints of Ben going to the dark side. If we assume she's quite a few years younger than Ben (Ridley is 23 and Driver is 32; if Ben's training starts around 10, Rey would still be a toddler), the timeline could add up that Rey doesn't remember her father. Then the mother leaves her with someone on Jakku (the junk trader), and promises to come back, but gets killed by Ben/Kylo/The Knights of Ren at the new temple. After the Mom never shows up, the junk trader puts her rear end to work. Explains away the "Luke is a bad father for leaving her on a shithole!" point, especially if you consider one of the last big battles between the Rebellion and the Empire happened on Jakku (a year or so after ROTJ); Jakku could've been very Rebel friendly, and the gang could have made contacts there.

This, of course, all hinges on her being his daughter.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The title refers to the Force awakening in Rey to call her to her destiny, but also to the Force awakening R2-D2, who had been meditating, and to a lesser extent to Finn awakening (prior to that raid he wasn't really conscious.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay, another little minor peeve- how the Hell did Ford, Fisher, and especially Hammil get billing over the new cast? That's some lame poo poo right there.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay, another little minor peeve- how the Hell did Ford, Fisher, and especially Hammil get billing over the new cast? That's some lame poo poo right there.

How could you expect any different?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

How else is he going to buy a new plane.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I really hope that Rey is not the daughter of Luke or any other current character. I hope her parents are new characters. Whoever they are, they left Rey on one of the worst planets in the galaxy and never came back. I don't think Luke would do something like that. Besides, I'm less interested in who exactly her parents are and more interested in why the hell they would do something like that to their own child.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Could be possible that Rey was taken from Luke, and then dropped on the planet for some unknown reason. But that's if she's his kid.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

I hope her lineage is never revealed. Or that her parents were just some random nobodies who left her on notorious worse-than-tatoonie poo poo planet Jakku because they were too poor to keep her around

I guess it's not very star wars at this point but not every hero needs to be a Skywalker, and starting a whole new clan of force sensitive badasses with Rey would make the new trilogy stand more on its own

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lol at not every hero needs to be a Skywalker. Do you know what franchise this is?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Just pointing out: if you're speculating on Luke's decision making process after the events of ROTJ, you have to consider the possibility that he has chats with three force ghosts on the reg. I don't think anywhere in the movies or clone wars cartoon does it suggest that being a force ghost is temporary. In fact I'm pretty sure during the end of clone wars Yoda finds out that the sith tried and failed because they put too many xp in offense powers. And he talked with some really old Jedi things. Luke has had 30 years to this point and who knows who else he had dialed up when he found the first ever jedi temple. They could use the bit in the zahn novels where turns out eventuality your force ghost mana gets used up because Yoda and obi wan were amateurs but still by the end of the ROTJ timeline obi-wan was a talkative motherfucker.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Lol at not every hero needs to be a Skywalker. Do you know what franchise this is?

Yes, that was my point

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, I think Inception was digital but Interstellar was 70mm.

I'm a bit surprised Hateful Eight 70mm is playing at Atlantic Station since, last I knew, they only have a digital IMAX screen.

edit: Oh, it's 2.76 70mm, not 15/70. gently caress that noise.

I bought advanced tickets for Interstellar IMAX 70mm opening night to find out that the projector broke so they switched it to digital. It was false advertisement and if the movie wasn't as awesome as it was I would have requested a refund.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

They wouldn't get a major actress from Game of Thrones unless they planned on using her for more than 2 minutes.
My personal theory is that the roel of 'Captain Phasma' is a decoy for leaks-she is a character, but she'll be in armour the whole time. Christie's going to actually be playing a second role as well, Luke's wife/Rey's mother who left her on Tatooine. Maybe they'll make her Mara Jade as a nod to the EU, maybe not. Because if they cast another actress in the role of Rey's mom, everyone will know about it and start speculating who she's playing, but nobody would be expecting Rey's mother to have already been cast.
And Sam Witwer (Starkiller from the Force Unleashed, voice of Darth Maul in Clone Wars & Palpy in Rebels) gave a bunch of his old West End sourcebooks to Dave Filoni when he was working on Clone Wars, which led to that stuff filtering into Rebels & as such the new canon. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

I kind of feel bad for Sam Witwer, actually. There were many problems with the Force Unleashed, but the acting wasn't one of them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Hazo posted:

Yeah I know, it's almost definitely the one from Bespin and hopefully we'll find out how it resurfaced at some point.
Of course they're supposed to be the same. They look slightly (yet noticeably) different, however, and it's never explained. I've brought this up in Star Wars threads before and nobody seems to really care so it's obviously not a big deal even to nerds.

Luke Episode IV:

Anakin Episode III:

The original prop was kitbashed from a camera flash handle, the new ones are machined specifically to be lightsabers.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Eh the movie could have been better. It made obvious typical mistakes and people will defend them because they are afraid of a new story. Maybe 1 old character would have been fine but 5 from the old films was overkill. For all the parts I liked, the new characters (and that's all that was new), it was burdened with resolving plot lines from the past. Fin was cool, Rey was almost cool. Kylo was silly but interesting. I want to go to a galaxy far way but Star Wars isn't far away in 2015. Star Wars is familiar and I didn't get to explore and care about a mysterious fantasy place of imagination. The old fat people with nothing new to contribute stole too many scenes and took me out of film. I'm left with watching people defend its flaws, the only enjoyment of Star Wars possible since the Phantom Menace.

There are so many ways to subvert, defy, and revive the tropes started by Star Wars. Very little effort was used to go beyond what was made in the past. The mediocrity was intentional and so even less enjoyable than usual. The scene with Rey using Obi-Wan's voice trick is the case and point. Instead of giving Rey her own spin or characterization, she repeats something that has already been done, celebrated, and cemented three whole times in a row to affirm that yes, this is a callback, yes you eat this poo poo, yes you know exactly what will happen, yes we will not hurt your brain with scary stuff like creativity. I imagine a chorus of nerd orgasms at the conclusion of that scene.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

temple posted:

There are so many ways to subvert, defy, and revive the tropes started by Star Wars. Very little effort was used to go beyond what was made in the past. The mediocrity was intentional and so even less enjoyable than usual. The scene with Rey using Obi-Wan's voice trick is the case and point. Instead of giving Rey her own spin or characterization, she repeats something that has already been done, celebrated, and cemented three whole times in a row to affirm that yes, this is a callback, yes you eat this poo poo, yes you know exactly what will happen, yes we will not hurt your brain with scary stuff like creativity. I imagine a chorus of nerd orgasms at the conclusion of that scene.

This is missing the point that Rey basically just taught herself to do the mind trick. As far as we know, she's never received any training, and didn't even know she could do anything with the Force until one scene prior when she resists Ben's mind probing. She's not only naturally talented, but clever enough to figure that out on her own in a dangerous situation.

Look at what doing the mind trick means for Rey rather than focusing solely on the fact that a mind trick has been on screen before.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

temple posted:

Eh the movie could have been better. It made obvious typical mistakes and people will defend them because they are afraid of a new story. Maybe 1 old character would have been fine but 5 from the old films was overkill. For all the parts I liked, the new characters (and that's all that was new), it was burdened with resolving plot lines from the past.

No one is afraid of a new story. This movie is part of a series and extends the storyline from where we left in Episode VI so of course its going to delve into plot lines from past films a bit and build upon them. That's what sequels do. This film had the added weight of being a soft reboot on its shoulders in the wake of prequel stigma, so I personally have no problem with JJ/Disney sticking to what had worked for the franchise in the past in order to ensure its success. That said, Disney is going to give us new Star Wars movies with new stories. Rogue One being the first of them.

quote:

Lmao. How about Rey not being a Mary Sue like Luke and Kylo Ren being humanized and turning out to not be your typical badass villain? I thought those were really great subversive elements of the film.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

teagone posted:

Lmao. How about Rey not being a Mary Sue like Luke and Kylo Ren being humanized and turning out to not be your typical badass villain? I thought those were really great subversive elements of the film.
Please don't throw around Mary Sue. I don't even know what it means in your context. I don't know why it matters to Rey's character or pandering/stealing from the OT.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

temple posted:

Please don't throw around Mary Sue. I don't even know what it means in your context. I don't know why it matters to Rey's character or pandering/stealing from the OT.

Because you said "there are so many ways to subvert, defy, and revive the tropes started by Star Wars" and I cited two examples of how TFA does this with two of its main characters who are very much important to the story and are driving the new narrative onward into episodes 8 and 9. And I'll throw around the term Mary Sue whenever the hell I want, thank you very much.

[edit] grammar!

teagone fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 20, 2015

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

I never really was a huge star wars fan, always got my SF in book form. Really only got into it through gaming.
But this movie was awesome from start to beginning. Seeing the iconic opening crawl on a big screen like that is something special. All the old characters shown were terrific. I didn't expect Han Solo to have such a big role, that was fantastic.

This big role also explains a mystery at the end of the movie I've seen questioned here, and a even bigger mystery thats mostly just accepted as is.

Why did R2D2 wake up at the end to reveal where Luke is ? I think that is explained by the reason that Luke has gone into hiding in the first place.
He simply cannot confront Kylo Ren while he has still a chance to be redeemed, there can be no good outcome of it. He cannot kill the son of his sister and best friend ! He has no chance to redeem him, as Leia pointed out. There is only one person who can do that: Han Solo. But he has been running away from that responsibility.
Once that chance has come and passed, and R2D2 learns that Han Solo is dead, Luke can come back.
And so the whole section of the movie dealing with the starkiller is not a distraction from the search for Luke, it is essential.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MonikaTSarn posted:

This big role also explains a mystery at the end of the movie I've seen questioned here, and a even bigger mystery thats mostly just accepted as is.

Why did R2D2 wake up at the end to reveal where Luke is ? I think that is explained by the reason that Luke has gone into hiding in the first place.
He simply cannot confront Kylo Ren while he has still a chance to be redeemed, there can be no good outcome of it. He cannot kill the son of his sister and best friend ! He has no chance to redeem him, as Leia pointed out. There is only one person who can do that: Han Solo. But he has been running away from that responsibility.
Once that chance has come and passed, and R2D2 learns that Han Solo is dead, Luke can come back.
And so the whole section of the movie dealing with the starkiller is not a distraction from the search for Luke, it is essential.

That part of the movie is essential, but it's not essential for it to be on a planet destroying super-weapon.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

AndyElusive posted:

If Rey is Luke's daughter like some people are guessing, then who's the mother? Phasma? :tinfoil:

Leia, they really had a thing going in IV and V... :3:

Wax Tadpole posted:

Do you think it would have been a worthwhile choice to put Captain Phasma in the role of the Stormtrooper with the electric baton? She could've been incapacitated much like how it went down in the actual scene, but it would've given that extra amount of depth the character required,

Dropping the more effective weapon and getting all emotional doesn't strike me as something the Captain would do.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

computer parts posted:

That part of the movie is essential, but it's not essential for it to be on a planet destroying super-weapon.

Yeah, I didn't really understand where it even came from? Why was there a map in the first place? I imagined that whole seen as the final metaphor for the fusing of the old and new; being ball-bot and R2D2 making a coherent map together, since there were alot of stuff like that across the whole movie. Like the beginning where Rey and Finn try to steer the millenium Falcon, trying to carry on the legacy of the movie and making the superfans angry by crashing it into dunes and stuff, repairing it with other tools to show that they are their own characters etc..

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 20, 2015

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

Imaginary Friend posted:

Yeah, I didn't really understand where it even came from? Why was there a map in the first place? I imagined that whole seen as the final metaphor for the fusing of the old and new; being ball-bot and R2D2 making a coherent map together, since there were alot of stuff like that across the whole movie. Like the beginning where Rey and Finn try to steer the millenium Falcon, trying to carry on the legacy of the movie and making the superfans angry by crashing it into dunes and stuff, repairing it with other tools to show that they are their own characters etc..

I saw it as Luke leaving the map on Jakku (like he probably put the other map pieces in R2?) and it would be found when Rey was needed, like he was found on Tattooine. Perhaps he wanted Rey to have a similar upbringing to his, unlike Ben who was probably raised like royalty and look how he turned out. Oh and R2 waking up is definitely because of the force.

I need to see this again.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Viller posted:

I saw it as Luke leaving the map on Jakku (like he probably put the other map pieces in R2?) and it would be found when Rey was needed, like he was found on Tattooine. Perhaps he wanted Rey to have a similar upbringing to his, unlike Ben who was probably raised like royalty and look how he turned out. Oh and R2 waking up is definitely because of the force.

I need to see this again.

Luke and Rey's upbringing were vastly different, besides both of them growing up on desert planets. Luke had stability and a caring family, Rey had gently caress all but poverty, strife, and wage slavery

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

MonikaTSarn posted:

I never really was a huge star wars fan, always got my SF in book form. Really only got into it through gaming.
But this movie was awesome from start to beginning. Seeing the iconic opening crawl on a big screen like that is something special. All the old characters shown were terrific. I didn't expect Han Solo to have such a big role, that was fantastic.

It also adds another layer of emotion to the final scene, which is already packed.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Krowley posted:

Luke and Rey's upbringing were vastly different, besides both of them growing up on desert planets. Luke had stability and a caring family, Rey had gently caress all but poverty, strife, and wage slavery

Was going to post this: Luke - despite the whining about his situation - was left with two actual parental figures and one of the last remaining Jedi watching over him, he wasn't that bad off. Rey seemed to have basically nobody looking out for her; there also seemed to be nothing connecting her to the map and she was just discovered by coincidence (unless BB-8 is playing a long con).

They also started out in different situations: Luke was hidden from Darth Vader at the peak of his power, when the Republic was all but defeated and on the run. Kylo Ren drove Luke into exile more out of shame than fear of his powers, and since Luke obviously had a way to completely disappear from everyone's radars anyway, he could have just taken any children with him to train.

Even more than I don't buy Luke leaving Rey on some random poo poo-hole planet without any competent guardians, I also don't buy him apparently not telling Leia or Han about her and where she could be found/identified. I also don't think a child her age (based on the flashback) wouldn't remember her father to the point of her thinking he was a myth.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

Krowley posted:

Theres definitely differences but both were in dead end situations with no way out. Ive always interpreted it as Owen would have never let him leave anyway(too much of his father in him, etc.)

Both could have grown old and stayed in their current situation but they were needed.

edit: ^^^ Rey is left with Unkar Plutt on Jakku, the alien who trades food for parts. So I'm assuming whoever left her there had an arrangement with Plutt to raise her until she could live on her own. Rey mentions having worked on the Falcon for Plutt in the past, so she probably was raised by him. Luke had a grand plan for his daughter, he didn't just leave her there.

Viller fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 20, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
One thing that annoyed me about everything on Jakku is that we didn't get a "Binary Sunset" sort of moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gpXMGit4P8

This clip is just 30 seconds long, but it hammers in Luke's frustration and seeming impotence at actually leaving his home. Everything with Rey just felt like "you know the story, we're giving you the highlights".

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I came back to this thread and there were 15 new pages.

I am seeing this today finally and then I guess going back fifty pages to read all the spoil messages but has anybody brought up yet just how bizarre Boyega's legs are?

He has an odd saddlebags thing going on. It's all I can stare at whenever I see him.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
^ You are strange.

This bomb only racked up $238M domestic for the weekend.

http://variety.com/2015/film/box-office/star-wars-force-awakens-box-office-records-1201665753/
http://deadline.com/2015/08/star-wars-the-force-awakens-box-office-global-record-predictions-1201505170/

quote:

Globally, “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” scored the second biggest opening in history, earning $517 million worldwide, behind only “Jurassic World’s” $525 million bow.
LMFAO!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

I don't understand what you're saying here because you deliberately quoted the article without including this little chestnut:

quote:

Unlike “Jurassic World,” the seventh film in the “Star Wars” saga did not have the benefit of showing in China on its inaugural weekend. It opens there on Jan. 9.

I wonder if they'll pull that missing $8 million in the world's most populous country? Domestically, it crushed Jurassic World (the second largest opener) by $30 million or roughly 15% more in sales... Unless you're deliberately missing the point, in which case :golfclap:

Boon fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 20, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

loving JJ Abrams, I knew he would ruin the franchise! :argh:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Does it not have til the end of today to make some more money?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If Star Wars couldn't do $250m opening weekend, nothing will.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
I find Jurassic World's numbers so baffling. I don't know anyone who went to see it, and I waited for video because the reviews were weak and it looked dumb.

Jurassic World spoiler: yeah it was dumb

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

hhhat posted:

I find Jurassic World's numbers so baffling. I don't know anyone who went to see it, and I waited for video because the reviews were weak and it looked dumb.

Jurassic World spoiler: yeah it was dumb
Perhaps kids/families went to see it while only male nerds went to see SW?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Josh Lyman posted:

Perhaps kids/families went to see it while only male nerds went to see SW?

quote:

The audience breakdown for Star Wars: The Force Awakens skewed towards male moviegoers (58 percent) and towards moviegoers over the age of 25 (63 percent). Family audiences made up 20 percent of the film's overall audience this weekend.

Families know what's best because they gave megahit Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip $14.4M this weekend. This matches the movie's rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Viller posted:

Theres definitely differences but both were in dead end situations with no way out. Ive always interpreted it as Owen would have never let him leave anyway(too much of his father in him, etc.)

Both could have grown old and stayed in their current situation but they were needed.

edit: ^^^ Rey is left with Unkar Plutt on Jakku, the alien who trades food for parts. So I'm assuming whoever left her there had an arrangement with Plutt to raise her until she could live on her own. Rey mentions having worked on the Falcon for Plutt in the past, so she probably was raised by him. Luke had a grand plan for his daughter, he didn't just leave her there.

Again, Luke had Obi-Wan looking after him, and he revealed himself basically as soon as Luke was old enough to fight for the rebellion. The minute poo poo starts to go down, Obi-Wan is there to whisk Luke away and start his Jedi training (and in the OT it wasn't like poo poo was never going to go down, these people all knew they would need to fight back eventually, and it happens right when the twins are old enough to play a part). Luke was a 17 year old whose guardians didn't want him to leave, but we know his friend Biggs joined up, this wasn't a completely dead end situation.

In Rey's situation Unkar Plutt is on the verge of selling her out the minute BB-8 shows up. When she flies off with the Falcon he certainly wasn't like "well gee I guess she is going to fulfill her destiny". If Poe's original plan worked he would have taken the map off of Jakku and Rey would have stayed there indefinitely, this wasn't a "she was needed" situation, it was happenstance. Hell, in direct contrast to Luke's story, Rey's abandonment on Jakku makes her want to stay for the return of whoever left her. She's not longing to leave like Luke is.

EDIT: for the record, I actually am of the mind that Rey's parentage is important, and I think a Skywalker heritage could be possible. I just think the prevailing theory that "he left her there to mimic his own upbringing" doesn't make any sense. If anything, leaving her in the care of a junk dealer mimics Anakin's upbringing more than anything.

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 20, 2015

• Locked thread