Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
They could've done it if they wanted to, but I'm glad fuel wasn't a micro transaction or had any sort of micro transaction to begin with. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.

MohShuvuu posted:

They could've done it if they wanted to, but I'm glad fuel wasn't a micro transaction or had any sort of micro transaction to begin with. :D

Then everyone would just be running the super ether katana ground build that can wipe out world bosses solo with one use of their skillbar.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I really don't know why they designed an elaborate and in-depth Job system which rewards creative ability and skill combinations and allows radically different playstyles and then built an endgame based solely around farming mats for one dimensional superweapons. I was having alot more fun with the game when my damage was coming from careful managed auras and sick double cooldown combos rather than thoughtlessly spamming by robot skills on cooldown

Ground dudes can be ridiculously strong especially when they take advantage of ALL those class skills they can work with and pump augments for potential.
The endgame isn't just Skells with stacked augs, it's ground dudes with massive potential stats too.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I don't know who either of those people are, and it won't let me back out to check the affinity chart, help

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

Suaimhneas posted:

I don't know who either of those people are, and it won't let me back out to check the affinity chart, help

I said Ngogo and he ignored her, try Loma?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Suaimhneas posted:

Just pick one, what's the worst that could happen.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Zombie Defiler posted:

I said Ngogo and he ignored her, try Loma?

That... solved the problem, I guess? All it did was change affinity between characters, it didn't even start a quest. Was there a point to this?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

bloodychill posted:

He said that players should expect something different but that doesn't mean it couldn't be a sequel with a different sort of gameplay. I guess we'll just find out.
Hasn't someone said that about every Xeno game since Xenosaga was announced? If XBC and XBCX are their idea of the same series, I think different is going to end up meaning pretty different. After the Xenosaga development train wrecks I think they are keeping the long form storylines to what they can cram in one video game so the safe bet is they don't think there's as much of a cliff hanger as the internet does.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

That... solved the problem, I guess? All it did was change affinity between characters, it didn't even start a quest. Was there a point to this?

Sometimes normal inconspicuous conversations can affect your survey rating, so no unless you care about that

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

Zombie Defiler posted:

Ground dudes can be ridiculously strong especially when they take advantage of ALL those class skills they can work with and pump augments for potential.
The endgame isn't just Skells with stacked augs, it's ground dudes with massive potential stats too.

Yeah this. After I got my first skell few days ago i hadn't really bothered with ground fighting. Yesterday I redid all my gear and skills/arts and now i can pull off a sniper with unlimited overdrive at level 43. Fights are much more interesting as im micromanaging all my skills while keeping my distance and killing things well above my level. Getting an overdrive total for 1/2 million for the first time feels good. Skell fights for me are not as engaging as its just fire and forget with the abilities, followed by waiting for cooldowns if the fight isn't over from your alpha strikes.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the easiest broken ground build when you have all the skills unlocked?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

zedprime posted:

Hasn't someone said that about every Xeno game since Xenosaga was announced? If XBC and XBCX are their idea of the same series, I think different is going to end up meaning pretty different. After the Xenosaga development train wrecks I think they are keeping the long form storylines to what they can cram in one video game so the safe bet is they don't think there's as much of a cliff hanger as the internet does.

It's interesting to look at Takahashi's history and how each title feels like a direct response to the last one. Xenogears was too much story stuffed into one game so he tried to retell the story in bite sized chunks with Xenosaga. With Xenosaga, the gameplay was generally panned and people didn't much take to the episodic format so he shrank the scope of the story and focused on game play and world design with Xenoblade. People liked the gameplay and loved the world design in Xenoblade so that's what they focused on with XCX while sidelining the story.

It just makes me wonder where he's headed next since the gameplay is incredibly solid and the world design is best in class for XCX. The only common criticisms are that the story and characters have been too minimized and annoying but easily fixable details they mucked up like autosave, party management, and targeting.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's the easiest broken ground build when you have all the skills unlocked?

Blossom Dance Ghost Walker. Stack Potential and melee skills, use Ghost Walker and never die while doing stupid damage with Blossom Dance. Why would you WANT the easiest broken build is beyond me though.

By the way, I finally made my 60 Urban and maaaan level 60 Skells have buttloads more armor than 50's. Where should I go to find level 60 Skell stuff, though? Even high level enemies only seemed to drop 50 stuff...

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

bloodychill posted:

It's interesting to look at Takahashi's history and how each title feels like a direct response to the last one. Xenogears was too much story stuffed into one game so he tried to retell the story in bite sized chunks with Xenosaga. With Xenosaga, the gameplay was generally panned and people didn't much take to the episodic format so he shrank the scope of the story and focused on game play and world design with Xenoblade. People liked the gameplay and loved the world design in Xenoblade so that's what they focused on with XCX while sidelining the story.

It just makes me wonder where he's headed next since the gameplay is incredibly solid and the world design is best in class for XCX. The only common criticisms are that the story and characters have been too minimized and annoying but easily fixable details they mucked up like autosave, party management, and targeting.

I could see a sequel being more character focused now that the larger world is more or less established, and I hope they would use the chance to develop the existing characters a bit more. I don't mind that the characters are a bit shallow in this one since it's not really a character driven story from the start. They're all functional enough, which is probably damning with faint praise, but I think it works well enough.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There's something special about getting one of those tasks where enemies endlessly respawn in the time limit, killing everyone in one shot, and then standing around for over a minute waiting for the next group to spawn...

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Alright, I give up. I can't find it anywhere. Who the hell voices Vandham? He's got a Patrick Warburton-y thing going on and I know it's not him, but I've heard that voice before.

Also, whatever is next, I'm on board. If they can find some sort of middle ground (or gently caress it, go whole ham on both) between Chronicles and Chronicles X, the next iteration is going to be nuts.

Are there any old xeno games worth playing? I'm going to guess nothing of the caliber of XC and XCX but anything else open worldy and fun?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Easiest way to get a lvl 60 Skell:
Complete "Rapid Misfire", Alexa's third affinity mission. It's pretty easy, only requires 4 hearts with Alexa and Chapter 11 completed and you get all the materials you need.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Saxophone posted:

Alright, I give up. I can't find it anywhere. Who the hell voices Vandham? He's got a Patrick Warburton-y thing going on and I know it's not him, but I've heard that voice before.

It might be the same voice actor that Sol Badguy has in Guilty Gear Xrd, but he's the only one I can put it too that sounds similar. Unfortunately, Vandham is uncredited and Sol is too so we may never really know.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Going to the divine roost and the color draining from the screen and the flying music fading into the creepy japanese ghost theme and seeing an immense dragon flying above me was legitimately creepy as gently caress :stare:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

bloodychill posted:

Going to the divine roost and the color draining from the screen and the flying music fading into the creepy japanese ghost theme and seeing an immense dragon flying above me was legitimately creepy as gently caress :stare:

Look over there, let's go mine

Btw that's Telethia, the Endbringer. It's the most powerful enemy in the game and has about 10 mil HP, so enjoy that.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 20, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Saxophone posted:

Also, whatever is next, I'm on board. If they can find some sort of middle ground (or gently caress it, go whole ham on both) between Chronicles and Chronicles X, the next iteration is going to be nuts.

Are there any old xeno games worth playing? I'm going to guess nothing of the caliber of XC and XCX but anything else open worldy and fun?
Xenosaga is a series of hallways punctuated by anime with an un debatable stinker of a middle chapter but I think people have been able to at least find something resembling fun in some of the gameplay systems in 1 and 3.

Xenogears is probably the definition of needing to be there to get it for late 90s jRPGs. Its a Final Fantasy-esque trip around the world dense with typical late 90s jRPG side quests, until the final third which is a crazy plot roller coaster where they tried to tie up loose ends after the money ran out.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

horriblePencilist posted:

Easiest way to get a lvl 60 Skell:
Complete "Rapid Misfire", Alexa's third affinity mission. It's pretty easy, only requires 4 hearts with Alexa and Chapter 11 completed and you get all the materials you need.

Yeah but it's kinda poo poo tho since it only comes with lvl 50 armor.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Please don't forget the generally bad fetch quest mission design

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

New Lv.50 superweapon found: Deus-Crusher Sylvalum, SE of 407 in a wrecked chopper under the big rock plateau, this chopper also completes the segment recon.
Physical claw shoulder weapon, gives you two Metal-Face arms.
Tempus Glyph x 6
Laser Light x 6
Octopus Board x 12
Quality Crank x 24
Lionbone Bort x 2

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
My Lionbone is also named Bort

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Infinity Gaia posted:

By the way, I finally made my 60 Urban and maaaan level 60 Skells have buttloads more armor than 50's. Where should I go to find level 60 Skell stuff, though? Even high level enemies only seemed to drop 50 stuff...

Aside from super weapons and the armour the 60 non-Excavator skells come with, there's no Lv60 parts. However, some high level enemies will drop better Lv50 versions of things. They usually have x60 in their model names. I think Lv60 Puges drop some?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

kirbysuperstar posted:

Aside from super weapons and the armour the 60 non-Excavator skells come with, there's no Lv60 parts. However, some high level enemies will drop better Lv50 versions of things. They usually have x60 in their model names. I think Lv60 Puges drop some?

Awww, that's kinda annoying. I probably ALREADY have the best possible G2 Buster then, barring one with better inherent traits. Also seriously no level 60 random armor? Bullshit.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

One issue I'm having (post-chapter 6, about 40 hours in) is that every encounter feels largely the same to me. It's not a huge problem because the Arts and Soul Voice system is really engaging, but it's becoming more apparent that every fight is just about execution on my part. The only difference between encounters is whether my entire party's health will inexplicably drop to the red zone or not, otherwise I just do the same thing every time. It might be because I went down the middle DPS skill tree instead of one of the ones that's more tanky or crowd controlly.

I'm sure I'm missing something because the UI is really terrible at communicating stuff and battles are hectic, but is there more to understanding encounter design? Some enemies (like the fingernails beast in Lao's affinity) have telegraphed hardhitting attacks that I can dodge, but it's a total crapshoot whether my allies get hit or not. I did just notice that some enemies seem to have a tiny text under them that says when they're winding up for a big attack, but I'm not sure what to do with that information as I don't have a taunt. If you stun them does that burn their cooldown or do they start the same attack again when they wake up?

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Awww, that's kinda annoying. I probably ALREADY have the best possible G2 Buster then, barring one with better inherent traits. Also seriously no level 60 random armor? Bullshit.

Who needs armor when a custom level 60 Mastema WhiteReaper can unleash 10 million damage in one shot? :smuggo:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

MohShuvuu posted:

Who needs armor when a custom level 60 Mastema WhiteReaper can unleash 10 million damage in one shot? :smuggo:

I wanted to stack more evade until I was actually entirely unhittable :saddowns:

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away
So I got my 50 skell finally after shitassing around not spending money on sweet threads for about 4 hours. Can anyone tell me where I can farm for intergalactic 50 G-Buster, Phoenix and E-Scythe?

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Dante18907 posted:

So I got my 50 skell finally after shitassing around not spending money on sweet threads for about 4 hours. Can anyone tell me where I can farm for intergalactic 50 G-Buster, Phoenix and E-Scythe?

Badr Basin, walk north and wipe out the puges. They drop the Buster and Phoenix. Dunno where to get the scythe besides the one that comes with Amdusias.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

End of main story spoilers, chapter 12:

How the gently caress am I supposed to beat Lao when he drains the fuel from my skells? I'm level 60 on the entire party, maxed out gear, maxed out arts and skills on all 4 people, and my team is loving worthless and get themselves killed before he's even 1/3 killed, even on the lower difficulty? I've spent the entire last 50 hours of gameplay doing everything possible in a skell because I like them. I have really nice skells and I could probably loving 3 shot him with them. Unfortunately, I can at best get off a single shot after he immediately drains the fuel from them. I haven't really had much trouble with anything else in the game to this point. I'm probably not understanding combat mechanics - I have a setup for ranged on the ground with a level 10 astral crusader, and i've set the rest of the party up for various things. I've read stuff about infinite overdrive but I can't even get anywhere 3000TP to start overdrive, much less 1000TP to start any of my arts. I'm doing all the soul voices that get called out and hitting all of my own, so I have literally no idea how to play this game as it turns out. I read the manual and whatever guides I could find but they're all very generic.

How the gently caress do I beat Chimera Lao? I've really enjoyed the game up to this point and it's become completely unfun.

I accept that I suck at the game, so help me unsuck.

Edit: I'll point out that my health is usually at full or close to when everyone else dies.

ssb fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 21, 2015

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

shortspecialbus posted:

End of main story spoilers, chapter 12:

How the gently caress am I supposed to beat Lao when he drains the fuel from my skells? I'm level 60 on the entire party, maxed out gear, maxed out arts and skills on all 4 people, and my team is loving worthless and get themselves killed before he's even 1/3 killed, even on the lower difficulty? I've spent the entire last 50 hours of gameplay doing everything possible in a skell because I like them. I have really nice skells and I could probably loving 3 shot him with them. Unfortunately, I can at best get off a single shot after he immediately drains the fuel from them. I haven't really had much trouble with anything else in the game to this point. I'm probably not understanding combat mechanics - I have a setup for ranged on the ground with a level 10 astral crusader, and i've set the rest of the party up for various things. I've read stuff about infinite overdrive but I can't even get anywhere 3000TP to start overdrive, much less 1000TP to start any of my arts. I'm doing all the soul voices that get called out and hitting all of my own, so I have literally no idea how to play this game as it turns out. I read the manual and whatever guides I could find but they're all very generic.

How the gently caress do I beat Chimera Lao? I've really enjoyed the game up to this point and it's become completely unfun.

Edit: I'll point out that my health is usually at full or close to when everyone else dies.

Grind more, get better ground gear. Die three times and get the -5 buff. I was level 52-55 or so when I did it. You can also craft the aug that gives you a damage bonus, since you'll probably re-use it fighting various tyrants anyway.

There's also the TP steroids you can get as the daily bonus.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Dunno if he'll redrain fuel, but there's a division spoils consumable that restores 3k fuel to each of your skells, could try using those.

EDIT: guess I maybe should have spoiled that? Sorry if anybody was looking for a blind boss fight and saw that.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 21, 2015

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

RoyalScion posted:

Dunno if he'll redrain fuel, but there's a division spoils consumable that restores 3k fuel to each of your skells, could try using those.

He does redrain it, but it takes a while. I magically had some fuel left (I think it was because of I was in the middle of blasting the Phoenix) and I managed to get some hits in, as well as stagger him so I could get some more fuel back. I had to stop after he used his draining attack again, but it was fun while it lasted.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

shortspecialbus posted:

Go make one of those level 50 super weapons I've mentioned in the thread, hit the guy who is giving you trouble with it, trouble sorted.

Zombie Defiler fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 21, 2015

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

god another survey shitfest before the next story beat. 20% of noctilim consisting of trying to desperately get past level 25 and up monsters, getting detected and then killed and starting back at the last checkpoint is so, so loving tiring. just when I thought things were picking up with the jar jar binks aliens. This loving sucks, why is this a thing?

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

MinibarMatchman posted:

god another survey shitfest before the next story beat. 20% of noctilim consisting of trying to desperately get past level 25 and up monsters, getting detected and then killed and starting back at the last checkpoint is so, so loving tiring. just when I thought things were picking up with the jar jar binks aliens. This loving sucks, why is this a thing?

Survey % includes not just probe locations (although those are pretty easy to fill out) but also doing the activities to complete hexes, like finding the treasure/killing the tyrant/doing the related quest for that hex.

Shouldn't be hard to hit 20% in Noct.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Running around screaming and trying to drop probes before you get killed is actually kinda fun :v:

If you're mountain goat enough you don't even need to run screaming, you can just bleat loudly from the safety of all those lovely high rocks that line almost every wall.

Zombie Defiler fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 21, 2015

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Running around screaming and trying to drop probes before you get killed is actually kinda fun :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MinibarMatchman posted:

Exploring the world is higher quality content than the story missions.

Noctilum is kind of lovely for funneling you through the death jungle at the isthmus where the southern bit connects to the rest. Once you get past there you get some breathing room.

The bad news is the story never picks up, sorry.

• Locked thread