Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Dedicated butter shelf

I don't have a stick of butter to check (and the battery in my callipers seems to have died), but I think it would still be too narrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Maybe it's a regional thing but walk-in pantries are very common in 1980s tract housing in California. I've also seen them as pretty standard in new construction over ~1500 square feet (which is almost all new construction around here).

I really wish I had one. We have an ikea ... shelfy enclosed freestanding tower thingy? that we use as the in-kitchen pantry to supplement the kitchen cabinet that also holds dry goods, and then in the garage we have another big shelf to hold more, and I still wish I had more space.

Because Costco. You know?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

In a literal crappy construction tale it turns out that the sewer line under my house was put in with so little fall that the slight settling of the foundation over 40 years has resulted in sections which force the waste to flow uphill.

I am so glad I'm not the owner because they are going to have to tunnel under the slab to fix it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If bulk food that doesn't need to be cold is stored in the pantry room, what is stored in all the shelves and cabinets in the kitchen?? Even after the biggest shopping trips I've never had trouble fitting things in the cupboards above the sink/oven. Unless you've got no space in your kitchen or a million single-use kitchen gadgets taking up all the space I think I'd look like some prepper having a whole pantry room. I'd be freaked out about stuff going bad or stale too, or just forgotten/wasted. Or do people with huge pantry rooms only go shopping every other week and just massively stock up?

I remember my rich friends had a pantry. Was like a walk-in closet but just filled with canned goods, chips, granola bars, pasta, industrial sized sacks of flour and sugar and other dry goods. I had to ask my friend if his parents were like survivalists or something.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If you cook and bake a lot, you actually use as much space as you can get. My family has two kitchens filled completely up right now, especially with Christmas stuff. For example, I picked up 10 sticks of butter a couple weeks back, because we do that much stuff this time of year. And yeah, a good part of that goes to actual baking supplies - bundt pans or whatever don't necessarily stack well.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I remember my rich friends had a pantry. Was like a walk-in closet but just filled with canned goods, chips, granola bars, pasta, industrial sized sacks of flour and sugar and other dry goods. I had to ask my friend if his parents were like survivalists or something.

You don't need to be a "survivalist" to have a well stocked pantry. Any one or combination of enjoying cooking, baking, canning or not enjoying going to the grocery store every few days or not making something interesting you just thought of because you're missing that one thing and don't want to drive to the store is enough.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

If bulk food that doesn't need to be cold is stored in the pantry room, what is stored in all the shelves and cabinets in the kitchen??

Dining dishes, serving dishes, glasses, mugs, pots and pans, mixing bowls, crockpot, cookie sheets, pizza pans, cake pans, larger hand tools (scrapers, serving spoons, carving knife, sieve, can opener, etc.), eggbeater, colander, towels and dishcloths, soap and other cleaning supplies, paper towels, tupperware...

My kitchen has six cabinets and a few drawers; it's not a tiny kitchen but it's not huge either. And I could absolutely use more storage space. I'm currently dedicating about two cabinets' worth to spices, oil, flour, sugar, and other commonly-used supplies, but the rest is all tools and containers and there's not a lot of room to spare.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

And then there's cases like my one friend back in school whose parents had a snack cabinet where we regularly unearthed poo poo with best before dates 5+ years back. And, like, stuff with a fairly good shelf life to begin with. Never actually opened any of it, which just contributes to the problem, really. They were also fairly well off...

I actually just moved into a place with a large kitchen and I'm very happy about the storage space. Right above the range there's this huge cabinet that's only an inch or two deep because the hood duct runs behind it, but they installed some shelves in there, and I don't know if it's meant for that but it's fantastically handy for spices.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Baronjutter posted:

If bulk food that doesn't need to be cold is stored in the pantry room, what is stored in all the shelves and cabinets in the kitchen?? Even after the biggest shopping trips I've never had trouble fitting things in the cupboards above the sink/oven. Unless you've got no space in your kitchen or a million single-use kitchen gadgets taking up all the space I think I'd look like some prepper having a whole pantry room. I'd be freaked out about stuff going bad or stale too, or just forgotten/wasted. Or do people with huge pantry rooms only go shopping every other week and just massively stock up?

To answer the second part first, yea, we usually only buy dry goods once every six or eight weeks. Like one of the things in the pantry is enormous bulk packages of kitchen rolls, kleenex, and toilet paper. Each of those is like the size of a suitcase, and just gets thrown on the highest pantry shelf. Obviously you could just be a regular person and not buy kitchen rolls by the score.

The answer to the first part wraps back around to crappy construction/design, because while we have a pantry the kitchen only has one built in cabinet and two shelves, which is basically enough space for daily-use plates and cups and a few pans. We had to bring in a kitchen storage cart just to put cutlery, pots, etc. We basically don't have any food stored in the kitchen proper.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

My Lovely Horse posted:

And then there's cases like my one friend back in school whose parents had a snack cabinet where we regularly unearthed poo poo with best before dates 5+ years back. And, like, stuff with a fairly good shelf life to begin with. Never actually opened any of it, which just contributes to the problem, really. They were also fairly well off...

I've found this to be a fairly common problem. My inlaws have a fairly deep pantry and I like to play the expiration date game with my husband when ever we go over. My MIL even bakes a whole bunch. Doesn't matter though. Deep storage just seems to be a recipe for stuff going bad. I have to audit my pantry about every 6 months and pull stuff to the front to remind myself to use it and that's even with shopping pretty conservatively.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Nitrox posted:

Our local code says that a bathroom with a window does not need a fan. Even if that window is inoperable or made out of glass block. So pretty much every added bathroom in semi-submerged basement is steamy/stinky as all hell, because nobody wanted to bother with $35 worth of fan.

Good God, that has to be miserable after a shower. :gonk:
Like, if I don't crank the A/C down and leave the fan running when I take a shower, and my bathroom still feels like a humid hell.
When I build my own house I'm a commercial grade hood exhaust fan for the bathroom. gently caress humidity.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

My girlfriend takes hot showers and forgets to turn on the fan every time. I'm sure making her help me repaint, regrout, and recaulk everything as needed will help her remember.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

In a literal crappy construction tale it turns out that the sewer line under my house was put in with so little fall that the slight settling of the foundation over 40 years has resulted in sections which force the waste to flow uphill.

I am so glad I'm not the owner because they are going to have to tunnel under the slab to fix it.

Ooh, sounds expensive. Will they use a directional drill or something or does someone have to actually get under and spade it out? Bonus fun if the manhole it connects to isn't deep enough to make the pipe steeper.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been in some super old houses that had a sort of pantry in the basement right off stairs leading down from the kitchen. Seemed good because the room was all insulated and vented in a way that kept it cool and dry. Do normal modern pantries have any special construction requirements to some how make them more food-storing friendly or just like any old walk-in?

I flip out if ANYTHING goes bad or goes to waste. It's extremely rare for anything to expire in our household. I think a lot of the money people save by buying in bulk ends up getting canceled out by waste unless you're really on top of it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Depending on your upbringing and social nature, you may have a significant amount of cupboard space lost to a china set (possibly more than one), stemware and other nice glasses, and/or prep and serving items for groups larger than 6. A 3- or 5-gallon pot is big and awkward to fill a shelf around. A basic mixing bowl around the same volume barely fits front to back in most cupboards.

e: can't spell

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 21, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is really getting onto a tangent, but: did you know that the "expiration date" (which is actually usually a sell-by date) on food is more or less totally unregulated, and is basically just a guess by the manufacturer? Some actually go to the trouble of testing how long their stuff takes to spoil, but plenty of others are just guessing, or copying whatever their competitors are doing. Obviously milk and meat and stuff like that spoils pretty quickly, but there's no need to throw away a can of tomato sauce just because it's a week past its sell-by date.

Anyway, in my kitchen I have casserole dishes, a mixer, a pressure cooker, a bread maker, a coffee maker, cheese graters, a waffle iron, a farberware smokeless grill, cookie sheets, muffin tins, a blender, a food processor, a smaller food processor, mixing bowls, thermoses, wine glasses, cocktail glasses, highball glasses, beer glasses, rocks glasses, juice glasses, approximately one thousand mugs, service for 12, two or three drawers of utensils, a shelf full of plasticware and another shelf with the lids for 80% of that plasticware plus another probably 30 orphaned lids for gently caress's sake, a shelf with paper plates and plastic cups and stuff like that for parties, pitchers, a decanter, it goes on and on. You just accumulate this poo poo. Oh plus all the goddamn pots and pans, a couple years ago I hung a rack over the center peninsula thing to hang all the pots from because poo poo was just overflowing onto the counter and floor and stuff.

We do still have a spice rack, a section of counter dedicated to cooking liquids (including vinegars, cooking oils, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, etc.), and a shelf in the kitchen with all the baking stuff (two kinds of flour plus bisquick, leavening agents, five kinds of sugar, three kinds of salt, cooking chocolate, crisco, sprinkles, honey, etc. etc.). Then we have the little pantry shelf thing which is where we store most of the canned and jarred goods, pickling stuff, pasta, about 30 different kinds of tea all jumbled together in boxes and bags and sachets and tins and so on in a giant loving mess, and on the bottom shelf is the dry cat food in a big bin.

In the garage is the shelf for the costco stuff: paper towels, toilet paper, boxes of cans of tomato sauce and paste, a gallon each of white and cider vinegar, a gallon of canola oil, all the not-currently-refrigerated beer and cider, bottles of juice, the rest of the honey (we used to keep bees), all the empty canning jars (probably about 30 or so out there right now), and some other bulk costco stuff.

What I really want is a big freezer to put in the garage, so I could buy meats in bulk. But if I had a big indoor pantry, I wouldn't have to put stuff in the garage, and we'd be able to much better organize a lot of the stuff that is currently jam packed onto shelves.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Brother from another house. :respek:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I had never heard of the bathroom fan timers before, but now I'm positive my parents need one for Christmas. Please tell me if I'm going to kill myself or them if I do it myself.

I got this model with no neutral. I know to cut power at the fuse box before loving around. The only complication I see is that it's a two-gang box, but one is just lights and the other is just the fan, so I think I can swap out just the fan switch (I hope).

Any other potential pitfalls? I've swapped out toggle switches for dimmers before, so hopefully this is on the same difficulty level.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 16, 2017

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

Obviously milk and meat and stuff like that spoils pretty quickly, but there's no need to throw away a can of tomato sauce just because it's a week past its sell-by date.

I've seen milk good for an entire month past the sell-by date. That's load-bearing quality milk of course though.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Jaguars! posted:

Ooh, sounds expensive. Will they use a directional drill or something or does someone have to actually get under and spade it out? Bonus fun if the manhole it connects to isn't deep enough to make the pipe steeper.

In the past, I've written to abandon the old line and lay an entirely different route if feasible.

With respect to expiration dates, I have salt with an expiration date on it. Salt. A mineral.

Anything canned: as long as it doesn't out-gas when opened, and in fact sucks in a little, it should be OK. I buy dented cans, as well. Never understood why people get weird about them. As long as they're not leaking, they're fine.

Eggs are another one. Never look at the expiration date. Have had them for 6+ weeks. Older eggs peel easier after hard-boiling, too.

I have one of those shallow cabinets next to my dishwasher, about 4" deep - it's up against the chimney chase. Currently has waxed paper, tinfoil, bags, etc. in it. The chimney has been abandoned since I installed a high-efficiency furnace, it's coming out next spring when I replace the countertop & a tiled backsplash. The space left where the wall cabinets are will be open shelving with puck lights, and that damned cabinet will be pushed back to full-depth.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

I had never heard of the bathroom fan timers before, but now I'm positive my parents need one for Christmas. Please tell me if I'm going to kill myself or them if I do it myself.

I got this model with no neutral, because the house is 1930s with original wiring. I know to cut power at the fuse box before loving around. The only complication I see is that it's a two-gang box, but one is just lights and the other is just the fan, so I think I can swap out just the fan switch (I hope).

Any other potential pitfalls? I've swapped out toggle switches for dimmers before, so hopefully this is on the same difficulty level.

Looks as straightforward as you assume.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Yeah when it comes to processed food, expiration dates are more of a quality thing than a "this is going to make you sick" thing. For dairy and meat, you can go pretty far past the sell by date if your storage is good, but if it was badly stored to start with, it's not going to last. This also assumes your nose and brain work; eating funky food is a dumb gamble if you don't have to do it.

People are weird about dented cans because it's the best way to get botulism short of a dirty canning operation. Dents can create pinhole leaks and the environment in a lot of canned goods is really great for growing c. botulinum bacteria. US health departments stopped loving around with botulism and that's why it's so rare these days, but it doesn't mean you can't still get sick eating food with damaged packaging.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Qwijib0 posted:

Looks as straightforward as you assume.
Thanks for the reassurance!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

NancyPants posted:

People are weird about dented cans because it's the best way to get botulism short of a dirty canning operation. Dents can create pinhole leaks and the environment in a lot of canned goods is really great for growing c. botulinum bacteria. US health departments stopped loving around with botulism and that's why it's so rare these days, but it doesn't mean you can't still get sick eating food with damaged packaging.

Yeah, that. Sure, it's highly unlikely that I'd actually get sick from a dented can, but it's also utterly trivial to avoid that risk, so I avoid it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

baquerd posted:

I've seen milk good for an entire month past the sell-by date. That's load-bearing quality milk of course though.

Oh sure, as long as the milk passes the sniff test, it's fine. Buttermilk lasts even longer. I have the sense that milk in a waxed paper carton lasts longer than milk in a plastic jug, but I'm not sure about that really.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Oh sure, as long as the milk passes the sniff test, it's fine. Buttermilk lasts even longer. I have the sense that milk in a waxed paper carton lasts longer than milk in a plastic jug, but I'm not sure about that really.

In a plastic jug I bet you're smelling that stuff that gets trapped around the threads of the lid. You don't get that in a carton so much.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

We consume a gallon of milk every two days so I have no idea what it's natural lifespan might be.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

In AK, where stuff takes significantly longer to get to market, I always found that cartons had dates about two weeks further out than jugs. So yeah, we're back to the already-discussed manufacturer dates, but it's something.

Ashcans posted:

We consume a gallon of milk every two days so I have no idea what it's natural lifespan might be.

Same. Kids, man.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

NancyPants posted:

Yeah when it comes to processed food, expiration dates are more of a quality thing than a "this is going to make you sick" thing.

Here's a really interesting article that delves into how the National Food Lab actually determines expiration dates.

For crappy construction content, I just installed a ceiling fan recently, and when I removed the lovely wall sconce (which was previously the only light in the room), this is what I found:

(For perspective, the shadow is straight)

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 21, 2015

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I'm just going to say that I have noticed wal-mart generic brands have overly optimistic expiration dates from my experience. The milk, cheese, and bread all goes bad far earlier than the expiration date if it's Great Value brand. I particularly hate Great Value brand pre-packaged deli meats, the packaging always fails in hilarious ways and I find the meat gets slimy extremely fast.

That said, at least in my area, wal-mart has had the best deli service. The local Dillons deli meat counter always has a ton of dirt on the machines and prices higher than I want to pay, Target has similarly high prices but the employees always screw up the cut. Wal-mart's deli counter almost always has 50% off on over sliced deli meat which is awesome, and so long as I go when the wrong employee is not working (toothless older lady with horrible breath who constantly wants to talk about random poo poo) the service is typically the slowest and highest quality. What I mean to say is I just can win when trying to choose a deli meat counter.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bad Munki posted:

In AK, where stuff takes significantly longer to get to market, I always found that cartons had dates about two weeks further out than jugs. So yeah, we're back to the already-discussed manufacturer dates, but it's something.

I suspect that the difference comes from using different pasteurisation processes (basically, exposed to a very high temperature for a very short time versus being exposed to a sort‐of‐high temperature for a longer period of time).

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Crotch Fruit posted:

I'm just going to say that I have noticed wal-mart generic brands have overly optimistic expiration dates from my experience. The milk, cheese, and bread all goes bad far earlier than the expiration date if it's Great Value brand. I particularly hate Great Value brand pre-packaged deli meats, the packaging always fails in hilarious ways and I find the meat gets slimy extremely fast.

That said, at least in my area, wal-mart has had the best deli service. The local Dillons deli meat counter always has a ton of dirt on the machines and prices higher than I want to pay, Target has similarly high prices but the employees always screw up the cut. Wal-mart's deli counter almost always has 50% off on over sliced deli meat which is awesome, and so long as I go when the wrong employee is not working (toothless older lady with horrible breath who constantly wants to talk about random poo poo) the service is typically the slowest and highest quality. What I mean to say is I just can win when trying to choose a deli meat counter.

working at a deli in an italian neighbourhood for a year and change ruined me, now i will never ever be happy with what other delis cruelly pass off as "thin sliced"

i can read a newspaper through my thin prosciutto slices, get your poo poo together people

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jaguars! posted:

There are really cool horizontal boring systems that you can use to go under entire driveways/roadways with little more than a pit on each side. Here's the first one that came up on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTxausNX3VE

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That video about little beavers was boring.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

PainterofCrap posted:

With respect to expiration dates, I have salt with an expiration date on it. Salt. A mineral.

Matthew 5:13 posted:

You are the salt of the earth; but if salt has lost its taste, how can its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything, but is thrown out and trampled under foot.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Well the problem is you can bore under the slab all you want but you need to tie the new pipe into the existing plumbing and that takes a person. Sure you can jackhammer up the slab to get down there to do that but then you have weakened the foundation which is what you were trying to avoid in the first place. It makes more sense to just go ahead and excavate a good enough tunnel to send someone in to do the plumbing and use the existing drains. Saves you the cost of the fancy boring machine too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Khizan posted:

Yeah, that. Sure, it's highly unlikely that I'd actually get sick from a dented can, but it's also utterly trivial to avoid that risk, so I avoid it.

Botulism isn't worth loving with for the sake of being macho about the state of your cans.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
UHT milk lasts months and months. Some of it can be stored at room temp even. That stuff tastes weird though.

Eggs are cool till you get a bad one and your kitchen smells of death for an hour.

Vent fan timers and the Panasonic fans are tits.

That is all, carry on.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

Well the problem is you can bore under the slab all you want but you need to tie the new pipe into the existing plumbing and that takes a person. Sure you can jackhammer up the slab to get down there to do that but then you have weakened the foundation which is what you were trying to avoid in the first place. It makes more sense to just go ahead and excavate a good enough tunnel to send someone in to do the plumbing and use the existing drains. Saves you the cost of the fancy boring machine too.

Black iron pipe doesn't belly under a sidewalk. Especially when you properly slurry fill under it after using your fancy boring machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

That video about little beavers was boring.

Au contraire, I thought the guy handling the beaver did some very good jiggling and thrusting. Excellent moustache well exceeding industry standards as well.

Motronic posted:

Black iron pipe doesn't belly under a sidewalk. Especially when you properly slurry fill under it after using your fancy boring machine.

I think Pony's landlord's problem is that they have to somehow connect up to the pipe underneath a house with no void underneath it. So in the end, they somehow need to get someone's hands under the house. Sucks to be that guy, I guess.

My employer did some work for a directional drilling company for a while and one of the local guys was drilling a sewer under a road. He hit a void, kept going. Later they found out that there was a conduit for an electricity transmission line under the middle of the road and they managed to go through it without hitting any of the cables. Wasn't marked on their maps because it was in a different category to the local ones.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 22, 2015