Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Siets posted:

Honestly, this is all that ever needs to be said about lightsaber scenes in any Star Wars movie ever. Required viewing and comprehension for future posting, TIA thread~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3atu9ezZuQk

This was really cool. Thanks for posting this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I said come in! posted:

No seriously, we can we stop pretending the prequels were good? Don't ruin this thread with this stupid bullshit. Talk about the new movie, which is actually legitimately great. Make another thread if you want to talk about bad movies that you want to pretend are good just to be different.

Who's pretending?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Plinkett Reviews are good.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Is JJ going to parallel this more to Into Darkness? The First Order seems to be up in arms that the republic is using the resistance as a proxy, which isn't really explained but the Journey to the Force Awakens media makes it sound like there is a peace treaty. So where is the new Star War happening? Republic space? Neutral territory? Because if it's in the empire's territory then you could easily argue the republic is really an aggressor to the conflict.

Is this why Kylo calls the resistance murderers? Will the films that come show them doing morally questionable things to try to free the rest of the Galaxy? And will the films accept this as good guys being good? Or is it like that bad guy admiral in the last JJtrek where the danger of the first strike is endless Star Wars (that we are tired of) and something worse is being unleashed?

Because unless they complicate the Resistance a lot, it's really tough to see how this trilogy doesn't play out exactly like 4-6. There's also not much reason for Ben Solo going dark unless they expand on the "disorder=bad but leads to fascism" theme, which granted is nothing new but could be mined more in the story. Unless they just want to keep Kylo as an immature man-baby.

But is the world ready to see Leia and Ackbar ordering mass casualty strikes in civilian-heavy areas? How else to suggest this "different point of view" is one a sympathetic character could have?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Ren clearly never got that far in his training. It makes sense thematically that no one knows how to use a lightsaber correctly. The only character who should be able to post prequels is Darth Vader and Obi Wan. It's a lost, dead religion.

While the flippy stuff is pretty neat at times (SWTOR opening:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=109rdJhGUjM), it should not be in these current movies. Kylo hasn't even been trained that long it seems.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Snokes says at the end that Ren needs to be brought to him so he can have his training completed. Ren royally botched Snokes entire operation because his training is far from complete.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

all the stuff you just asked is kinda easy to pick up via context (some of the context you even mentioned). the republic and first order are in some kind of cold war while the republic uses the resistance as a proxy to fight the first order. it's not really important where they're fighting just that they are.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
We can all only hope that Ren will be flipping and spinning aimlessly in the next movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

JJ Abrams said in an interview that his lightsaber battles are more like a conversation, and he didn't feel like making them highly choreographed. But he heavily implied Rian Johnson wants to go that route. So we'll see.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Blowing up the top 5 Capitol planets with your superplanet laser has got to elevate this Cold War to at least... lukewarm?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Groovelord Neato posted:

is this guy trolling or do people actually think this way.

He also thinks people only like Finn because he was a black guy, so

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

JJ Abrams said in an interview that his lightsaber battles are more like a conversation, and he didn't feel like making them highly choreographed. But he heavily implied Rian Johnson wants to go that route. So we'll see.

Have a link to this? It'll be unfortunate if we see a departure from the emotional saber battles that we finally got back.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

I'm hearing the riff from an MST3K episode: "Keep away from me! Keep awaaaaay!"

CelticPredator posted:

This scene isn't about the lightsaber fight though...Not the fighting or the cool moves.

The whole point of lightsabers (and dueling scenes in general) are about the fighting and the cool moves.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I forget if I posted it already but we're having the same conversation on the prequels so whatever, :petdog:

My guess for Snoke is that he will be some surviving padawan or Jedi washout who hid in a hole, perhaps with dark lore in it, and who emerged to join Luke's school. Luke would probably not be in a position to be choosey, but he probably subverted parts of the student body. Maybe he injured himself while learning how to shoot Force Lightning.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

The whole point of lightsabers (and dueling scenes in general) are about the fighting and the cool moves.

Let me guess, you enjoyed the prequels.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah bro, totally. I really hope we get to see Rey's tits in Episode VIII.

:rolleyes:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MisterBibs posted:

I'm hearing the riff from an MST3K episode: "Keep away from me! Keep awaaaaay!"

Then why are the prequel lightsaber battles so lovely and forgettable?

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Siets posted:

Yeah bro, totally. I really hope we get to see Rey's tits in Episode VIII.

:rolleyes:

I'm unironically down for a naked saber fight. Boobs and dongs flopping everywhere in HD.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

raditts posted:

Honestly, I think this is only because there are more of them. The duel of the fates one in TPM stuck out for me, as do several in Revenge of the Sith. AOTC I don't remember any saber fights clearly, but I do remember the visual of dozens of sabers poppin' on Geonosis.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Mitchicon posted:

Let me guess, you enjoyed the prequels.

Of course I did. I like Star Wars.

raditts posted:

For you? Same font of which all prequel criticisms are ultimately sourced, no matter how much :words: you use to claim otherwise: you didn't grow up with the prequels.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

all the stuff you just asked is kinda easy to pick up via context (some of the context you even mentioned). the republic and first order are in some kind of cold war while the republic uses the resistance as a proxy to fight the first order. it's not really important where they're fighting just that they are.

Sure it's important if it is used to inform the character's motivations for choosing one side or the other. Doesn't necessarily need to be addressed in the first film but it should be addressed at some point.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Man, if I was a Jedi I'd just make a stupid long lightsaber like 3x longer or whatever and then you'd always win.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mitchicon posted:

Have a link to this? It'll be unfortunate if we see a departure from the emotional saber battles that we finally got back.

I think I misheard. He does say he 'maybe' he'll take that approach, but for some reason it felt more like a hint when I first heard it.

Just call me wrong. But here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ekui0QWaCA&t=1092s

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mitchicon posted:

Man, if I was a Jedi I'd just make a stupid long lightsaber like 3x longer or whatever and then you'd always win.

Force Nuke them from orbit! :downs:

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Siets posted:

Force Nuke them from orbit! :downs:

It's the only way to be sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCbfMkh940Q

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MisterBibs posted:

Of course I did. I like Star Wars.

For you? Same font of which all prequel criticisms are ultimately sourced, no matter how much :words: you use to claim otherwise: you didn't grow up with the prequels.

I grew up with the prequels and I don't like them. I hated Attack of the Clones in the theater. But Revenge of Sith was badass because of all the cool moves and the child murder. :black101:

TPM I was 7
Attack of the Clones I was 11
Revenge of the Sith I was 14.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 20, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

For you? Same font of which all prequel criticisms are ultimately sourced, no matter how much :word: you use to claim otherwise: you didn't grow up with the prequels.
I don't think this is necessarily true. I think there are two really big arguments about the prequels which, to me, make sense.

One is that they are very different from the OT despite sharing many of the same trappings. Ultimately this is a matter of taste. However, I do not think it is unfair, and I think TFA is definitely reacting to it.

The other is that many elements could have used more work, more refinement. Personally I think it is somewhat unfair - not that the prequels are somehow perfect, but that if you watched any film a bunch of times, especially from a perspective of "this is lovely poo poo that is lovely and poo poo", you would find dozens of nitpicky errors and problems. And if in turn you watched any film a bunch of times from the perspective of "this movie is magical and wonderful," you might notice the same errors, but in a jolly way. Nobody has ever used things like the stormtrooper bonking his head or lightsaber color errors as an argument that the original trilogy was awful amateurish bullshit, indeed the craving is for these things to be returned, when there is a preference at all.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Mitchicon posted:

There was a guy named Corran Horn in the EU who had a lightsaber you could twist the handle on and it would extend twice as long as normal.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
The prequels were good movies with the exception of AoTC. Maul was a good mystery villain and introduces the "real" way Jedi used to fight. If you get into a drat brawl and you're straight off the streets then it makes sense you just start wailing. But if ou train to fight, you learn sequences. The choreography was mostly pretty good throughout the duels. All I'm getting at is I expect there to be some elaborate poo poo in the next couple of films. It's not as though you can't have good acting during a fight with good choreography.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

When Rey gets a new lightsaber, will it be a standard blade or will she opt for a or Darth Maul doublesided staff type?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

When you think about it, blasters are just shooting mini lightsabers.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Hollismason posted:

The full fight between Obi Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader in ANH is actually pretty good. If you watch Vader is pushing Obi Wan Kenobi into a Wall with the lunges and then Obi Wan quickly changes positioning.

I remember them talking about it and they wanted the Choreography to be similar to some style of fencing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN7dkSIgYgE

All Lightsaber duels.

Haven't watched the prequels in years so this is an interesting watch. The worst part about the Maul fight is the force jumping poo poo. The Yoda vs. Dooku sequence is far from the worst one. I think the Robot thingy might be the worst.

Watching the PT ones as well as the OT ones I'm now even more satisfied with the one in TFA.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Haven't watched the prequels in years so this is an interesting watch. The worst part about the Maul fight is the force jumping poo poo.

All two of the force jumps?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

dear lord

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

The prequels were good movies with the exception of AoTC. Maul was a good mystery villain and introduces the "real" way Jedi used to fight. If you get into a drat brawl and you're straight off the streets then it makes sense you just start wailing. But if ou train to fight, you learn sequences. The choreography was mostly pretty good throughout the duels. All I'm getting at is I expect there to be some elaborate poo poo in the next couple of films. It's not as though you can't have good acting during a fight with good choreography.

they're actually not good movies even if you divorce them for star wars. also lol no that is not how fighting has ever worked in history. you should look up videos about how knights and poo poo actually fought irl.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 20, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Haven't watched the prequels in years so this is an interesting watch. The worst part about the Maul fight is the force jumping poo poo. The Yoda vs. Dooku sequence is far from the worst one. I think the Robot thingy might be the worst.

Watching the PT ones as well as the OT ones I'm now even more satisfied with the one in TFA.

Yeah it's super cool to watch them in order like that because it goes Episode 1 to Episode 6.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Haven't watched the prequels in years so this is an interesting watch. The worst part about the Maul fight is the force jumping poo poo.
If you think about it, Luke also did two super jumps in ESB.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

PaganGoatPants posted:

All two of the force jumps?

The one Obiwan does after he's been struggling to hang on to that protrusion thing is the worst and easily counts as three.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

I said come in! posted:

When you think about it, blasters are just shooting mini lightsabers.

We still have yet to see the ultimate weapon, the lightsaber shooting gun.

I just got back from seeing FA for the second time. I still haven't made up my mind on what Rey's deal is, all I could conclude was that the movie left it way open to be taken in whatever direction they wanted, and provide a reasonable explanation for why she was out on Jakku. Her story obviously rhymes the most with Luke, so that's the safe choice, but watching it again there's much less evidence of him being her father than I remembered. Like, he still is in the lead by a parsec, but after the first viewing I thought he was ahead by 5 parsecs.

The latest idea that occurred to me is that she would be related to Snoke, either through parentage or just being a kid that he detected was force sensitive while he had people rounding up Stormtrooper recruits. That would rhyme with the hero having ties to the villain, and with the Dark Side being undone by its own plans. Kylo Ren could be the test run for his training, she was left on Jakku to stay off the radar of both the Resistance and the First Order (paritcularly Ren) and Snoke intended to come collect her after he'd wrung out the last bit of use from Kylo. All the rebellion imagery at her house is just misdirection, which will seem obvious when you realize she was also living in an AT-AT. Anyway, that's just the latest wild theory that popped into my head.

I did like the music a lot more this time out, probably because I wasn't focusing as much on the minute-to-minute happenings. Rey's theme is as close as he gets to creating the next iconic piece of Star Wars music, but the moment to moment stuff was very well done. I'm hopeful that we'll get something as iconic as the Imperial March in Episode 8, maybe a more trained Kylo Ren will earn a badass theme of his own.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 20, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

they're actually not good movies even if you divorce them for star wars.
Nah. They're OK movies. The original three are better on average, but the PT are, at worst, :mediocre:

Like you may complain about how you don't feel like Obi-wan and Anakin were friends, right? But you can tell that they were trying to go for that, trying to do it a little. In a bad movie you would not even know that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I'm not sure what makes the Star Wars prequels different to something like The Raid or a John Woo film when it comes to ridiculously impractical fight scenes.

• Locked thread