Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Well first I'll have to get some assets worth bequeathing.

Take on a shitload of debt and bequeath everything to your nemesis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Well first I'll have to get some assets worth bequeathing.

Well sure, but before that happens living wills do things like "don't Terry Shiavo me" and "I want Clouds_ThemeMain_Theme_Final_Fantasy_VII(Orchestral_Version).mp3 played as I'm cremated "

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

baw posted:

This fact-check article with this lede "The Democratic candidates met for the third time, and stretched the facts again:" is infuriating once you read the article and compare it with the caliber of bullshit coming from the GOP side. The "truth is in the middle" media is pissing me off more than in previous election cycles because of just how big the bullshit gap between the parties is and how everyone is still desperately trying to avoid stating the obvious

"Clinton said that the Republican presidential candidates “don’t want to raise the minimum wage.” But Rick Santorum has supported an increase."

HAHAHAHA what a total crock of poo poo.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Unzip and Attack posted:

"Clinton said that the Republican presidential candidates “don’t want to raise the minimum wage.” But Rick Santorum has supported an increase."

That's the best kind of correct.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Logikv9 posted:

Carter doesn't deserve this :smith:

Jobe had things turn out right in the end, right? :ohdear:

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Poor Carter, man just beat brain cancer and then this happens.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

fosborb posted:

Well sure, but before that happens living wills do things like "don't Terry Shiavo me" and "I want Clouds_ThemeMain_Theme_Final_Fantasy_VII(Orchestral_Version).mp3 played as I'm cremated "

Just hope they don't download it from Limewire or who knows what you'll get.

But yeah I need to make a will. And get all my beneficiaries in order for retirement accounts and life insurance and whatnot.

When does the fiduciary rule go into place for retirement advisors? The omnibus bill was the last stand to kill it and that rider didn't make it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Epic High Five posted:

There's any number of things that can have you feeling a bit unwell and kill you within 12 hours. The staph that is omnipresent on your body and in your life is stupidly lethal if it gets into your blood and spreads, for example.

I... was better off not knowing this. :stonk:

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

I love Jay Pharoah's impression of Ben Carson on SNL

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Unzip and Attack posted:

I'm looking forward to a GOPer saying something fundamentally untrue like "It rains ice cream and Mountain Dew in February" to have it fact-checked as somewhat true.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Paradoxish posted:

I've never met a real life libertarian who actually gave a poo poo about efficiency, or honestly who was even willing to acknowledge that the purpose of the economy is to distribute resources. Inefficiencies are meaningless to someone who thinks economic policies are things you should get ideologically attached to.

I agree that in practice libertarians value ideology over reality but they do still tend to cling to efficiency at least in their rhetoric. "Markets are more efficient, government waste" etc.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I'm looking forward to a GOPer saying something fundamentally untrue like "It rains ice cream and Mountain Dew in February" to have it fact-checked as somewhat true.

We rate this statement Mostly True. "It rains ice ... in February"

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

mandatory lesbian posted:

so only 4% of whatever counts as "gun violence" doesn't end in someone dying?

My guess would be that the 4% is a combination of deaths that can't be definitively ruled suicide or homicide due to lack of evidence, gun related accidents such as a loaded gun falling and misfiring, guns fired by animals and infants, etc.

Still seems like too large a percent for that though.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

hangedman1984 posted:

I love Jay Pharoah's impression of Ben Carson on SNL

Still not sleep-inducing enough.

I would buy recordings of Carson speaking as an insomnia cure any day of the week.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

shrike82 posted:

poo poo, Jimmy Carter's grandson just passed away. He's had a tough year...

My first reaction was "The one who got the Romney 47% video out to the media? :tinfoil:" but no this was another grandson.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

You may remember a story in 2013 about a rich white kid in Texas who managed to get only probation after killing four and severely injuring three other people (one paralyzed) in a drunken car wreck. The story went viral because his attorney successfully argued to the judge that he was suffering from 'affluenza' (meaning because of his wealth he didn't understand the severity of his actions).

Well, that kid has apparently violated his probation by drinking at a party and is now on the run, and the US Marshals believe he's attempting to flee the country. Presumably he's trying to get into Mexico if he isn't there already.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...campaign=buffer

So the good news is that when the Marshals eventually find this kid he's going away for awhile.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

You may remember a story in 2013 about a rich white kid in Texas who managed to get only probation after killing four and severely injuring three other people (one paralyzed) in a drunken car wreck. The story went viral because his attorney successfully argued to the judge that he was suffering from 'affluenza' (meaning because of his wealth he didn't understand the severity of his actions).

Well, that kid has apparently violated his probation by drinking at a party and is now on the run, and the US Marshals believe he's attempting to flee the country. Presumably he's trying to get into Mexico if he isn't there already.

So the good news is that when the Marshals eventually find this kid he's going away for awhile.

In what way is his affluenza defense no longer relevant? Hell, he committed a multiple homicide and faced very little consequences. If anything, that defense is even stronger this time around.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I agree that in practice libertarians value ideology over reality but they do still tend to cling to efficiency at least in their rhetoric. "Markets are more efficient, government waste" etc.

I find that that's just the opening gambit. Time and again in the libertarian thread, we get confronted by "libertarian policy X, works better than the current system because markets area always more efficient," and when we reply with evidence that X, or things indistinguishable from it, have been tried before, don't work better than the current system, and also invariably lead to diminished standards of living and/or mass death, the next rejoinder is "well it doesn't matter which works better from a practical stand point, policy X is more moral because it eliminates taxation which is unprovoked state aggression PUT DOWN THE GUNS GUYS!!!"

In other words, efficiency arguments ultimately become unimportant when they fail to work in favor of libertarian solutions, at which point they fall back on (arbitrary, leading) morality arguments.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
The way I want to die is to be run over by a wealthy white kid and then have a judge look at my name and my status [deceased] and think,'hm, yes, I suppose boys will be boys after all'. Gonna go rewrite my will.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Shifty Pony posted:

When does the fiduciary rule go into place for retirement advisors? The omnibus bill was the last stand to kill it and that rider didn't make it.

Really depends on the Department of Labor. First half of 2016, certainly.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

FlamingLiberal posted:

Between Shkreli getting arrested and this dipshit kid on the run, it's been a good week for cosmic justice

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
Cops have a guy on the ground

One cop shoots the other cop

Shot cop plants a gun

Shot cop then kills the person who did not shoot him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I-Xg-Ga1a8

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Rexicon1 posted:

Between Shkreli getting arrested and this dipshit kid on the run, it's been a good week for cosmic justice

:D

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Shot cop plants a gun

:smithicide:

This thread is a drat roller coaster

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Some bad has to come with the good, and vice versa :cripes:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Shot cop plants a gun

it's ok though because he was a known gang member. cosmic justice still intact!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ican't watch that right now, is it as horrible as it sounds like it is

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Shot cop plants a gun

FOR FUCKS SAKE I DIDNT MEAN TO JINX IT

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Epic High Five posted:

It's even worse. After he's been shot a bunch they do their best to make sure he won't survive the shooting while threatening eyewitnesses of their murder.

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001

Epic High Five posted:

It is, I meant to link the article. Straight up execution.

'What's the address?'

Gets told 25 times

'What's the address!?'

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Disarm police officers now

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Shot cop plants a gun

gently caress's sake.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

The judge did not buy the "affluenza" defense. She gave him the same chance she gives all kids caught drunk driving the first time and did the right thing. It's a long, complicated story. The fact that this idiot learned nothing and violated his probation is not surprising in the least.

Apparently his mom has been a huge enabler and is the one trying to flee the country with him. I hope she gets jail time too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So should we get to the inevitable acquittal now, or....

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Ender.uNF posted:

The judge did not buy the "affluenza" defense. She gave him the same chance she gives all kids caught drunk driving the first time and did the right thing. It's a long, complicated story. The fact that this idiot learned nothing and violated his probation is not surprising in the least.

Apparently his mom has been a huge enabler and is the one trying to flee the country with him. I hope she gets jail time too.

She gave him a chance even though he committed quadruple homicide too? Sounds like a pretty short story of a lovely judge making a bad decision.

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 21, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Ender.uNF posted:

Oh word? Did the murder of 4 people have no impact on her "boys will be boys ruling"?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Oh word? Did the murder of 4 people have no impact on her "boys will be boys ruling"?

Given that historically she's tried to go with mandatory rehabilitation plus probation (which is what the affluenza kid was sentenced to) for people who killed as juveniles, including killings that were straight up intentional murder as opposed to negligent homicide...

loving judges, thinking kids deserve second chances.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Kalman posted:

loving judges, thinking white kids deserve second chances.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Kalman posted:

Given that historically she's tried to go with mandatory rehabilitation plus probation (which is what the affluenza kid was sentenced to) for people who killed as juveniles, including killings that were straight up intentional murder as opposed to negligent homicide...

loving judges, thinking kids deserve second chances.

And now he's fled the country after allegedly violating his parole. Does he deserve a third chance now?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

And now he's fled the country after allegedly violating his parole. Does he deserve a third chance now?

Nope. Violating paroles a pretty great way to say "didn't want that second chance anyway."

Yeah, she never gave anyone other than white kids a second chance.

Eh wait no she pushed for rehabilitation for a black teen who punched a dude leading to his death. (He wound up in prison because rehab programs refused to accept him, but everyone - victim's parents included - was pretty clear on what she wanted to see happen.)

A lot of juvenile court judges will do just about anything to keep kids out of the adult justice system. That's probably a good thing, even when they're rich white kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Well if what Kalman is saying is true, then I guess I can't really hold her ruling against her on racial/economic grounds. But the kid remains an unrepentant piece of dog trash and deserves to go to jail for a super duper long time.

• Locked thread