Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Ruggington posted:

DQ6 really decided to stop loving around

the real murdaw fight is working me over so god damned hard

This is legitimately one of the hardest fights in the game, and the hardest one for you to do something about; you don't have the class system yet, so there's not very many ways to advance. Then he's actually hard on top of that!

There's good music though, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

ugh I can't even zoom or evac out of his keep

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
If you haven't grabbed the Fire Claws in there yet it should help. I think it's a double attack and can be used for Frizzle? I remember grabbing them, then upgrading my equipment back in town after dying.

I hated how you could zoom in, but not out of his keep.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I miss playing Dragon Quest games. The DS one really soured me.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ciaphas posted:

I'm on the second day trying to find these numbers before nightfall, I know the last one's in the Warren area but I can't get in there until midnight apparently. Is that gonna be too late or am I safe to go gently caress off somewhere else until then

you can wait until then, but there's also some NPCs who can give you the codes if you look around for them.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Rascyc posted:

I miss playing Dragon Quest games. The DS one really soured me.

Which one was that? The DS ones were all pretty solid.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Allarion posted:

There were far too many crafting materials to deal with in 9.

I mean I like it (the game and the crafting) but gathering the mats was a ballache.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Allarion posted:

DQ9. It was solid I just fell into that trap of accidentally over grinding while exploring and gathering mats. I heard the post game was much more worthwhile but I never made it.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

pichupal posted:

If you haven't grabbed the Fire Claws in there yet it should help. I think it's a double attack and can be used for Frizzle? I remember grabbing them, then upgrading my equipment back in town after dying.

I hated how you could zoom in, but not out of his keep.

scrounged around and found them, managed to drop his first form with minimal healing in a practice run where nevan had died

Thank you for that

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

why can he just put my party to sleep on demand

why can he just decide to kill carver from full health

why

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I beat the man by never touching double up and just using the claw

I think carver was the only character that even had a chance to attack

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Is there anything worthwhile in the monster arena in LR?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Rascyc posted:

DQ9. It was solid I just fell into that trap of accidentally over grinding while exploring and gathering mats. I heard the post game was much more worthwhile but I never made it.

Ahh yeah. DQ9 main stuff is basically its post-game, and the whole story is basically just sort of a pseudo-tutorial for that. I imagine it was basically testing the grounds for DQX since it does basically fall into the MMO gameflow of grinding and farming so you can dress-up all your characters. I probably like DQ9 the least outta all the DS games though because it doesn't have as strong of a story, but gameplay-wise, once you have full freedom of class-changing, it's pretty solid. Burned out playing the post-game though so I never did get all the DLC, and never will now probably. Did get a full inn though, so that was fun when in those first couple months where everybody was playing DQ9 and meeting up at Gamestop or wherever.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ruggington posted:

ugh I can't even zoom or evac out of his keep

If you die you can zoom back to his keep.

Also instead of equipping the fire claw from his keep, give it to a weaker attacker to use as an item instead, that extra damage is very helpful. Items that cast spells are amazing at this point in the game.

e: Ah, didn't notice that you already beat him. Item magic is still a very good thing to keep in mind though!

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Since we're talking about DQ, I'm curious about how Dragon Quest Builders is going to do. It looks like a pretty good upgraded Minecraft clone what with it having a plot and definite goal instead of just being an open sandbox, but I think its success is going to depend on whether they bother to implement multiplayer or not. Minecraft clones minus multiplayer are pretty darn pointless.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Srice posted:

If you die you can zoom back to his keep.

Also instead of equipping the fire claw from his keep, give it to a weaker attacker to use as an item instead, that extra damage is very helpful. Items that cast spells are amazing at this point in the game.

e: Ah, didn't notice that you already beat him. Item magic is still a very good thing to keep in mind though!

I basically spent the entire fight desperately healing with everyone that wasn't carver so I don't think anyone else would have gotten a chance to cast with the claw anyway. I'll need to remember to drop it to milly when carver outgrows it though

The staff nevan came with was insanely clutch on my hero though

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ruggington posted:

I basically spent the entire fight desperately healing with everyone that wasn't carver so I don't think anyone else would have gotten a chance to cast with the claw anyway. I'll need to remember to drop it to milly when carver outgrows it though

The staff nevan came with was insanely clutch on my hero though

Hey, since you're about to get vocations some advice: You only have enough time to get two vocations and an unlocked advance vocation unlocked by the end of the game without grinding, so don't hop around leveling classes that don't go towards an advanced one. Make sure Hero masters either Gladiator, Sage, Luminary, or Ranger.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Finished the main quest in the first city in LR last night. I like this game though I still feel like I don't really know what I'm doing with the combat system and dressup, and I am loving rubbish at having Guard up in time. Still fun though.

I get the feeling I should know who the gently caress that Noel guy was and who Lumina is but I don't and I'm just sort of confused!

Should I have been leveling up skills at all by now? I don't think I was ever told how to do that, just how to Synth two together for a minor boost.

Also, can you buy skills like Attack? My current third suit (the one that comes with Deprotect and Deshell) just has Guard and Blizzard on it because I don't know what the hell else to put there, but against that last boss I'd rather have had Attack most of the time for spending actions in that uniform.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Finished the main quest in the first city in LR last night. I like this game though I still feel like I don't really know what I'm doing with the combat system and dressup, and I am loving rubbish at having Guard up in time. Still fun though.

I get the feeling I should know who the gently caress that Noel guy was and who Lumina is but I don't and I'm just sort of confused!

Should I have been leveling up skills at all by now? I don't think I was ever told how to do that, just how to Synth two together for a minor boost.

Also, can you buy skills like Attack? My current third suit (the one that comes with Deprotect and Deshell) just has Guard and Blizzard on it because I don't know what the hell else to put there, but against that last boss I'd rather have had Attack most of the time for spending actions in that uniform.

Noel is one of the protagonists of FFXIII-2. Lumina is a new character.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

enemies drop abilities, like attack.

leveling skills is useful, since you get more powerful versions that cost less compared to ones that drop

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You get better skills via monster drops. You won't be able to manually level skills until like day 7 at least.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Ciaphas posted:

I get the feeling I should know who the gently caress that Noel guy was

Noel is Trunks from DBZ except way more of a tool and much less competent.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kild posted:

Is there anything worthwhile in the monster arena in LR?

it's used in the main quest a few times (you can get fireworks there during that bit, for example) but otherwise no

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

alcharagia posted:

Noel is Trunks from DBZ except way more of a tool and much less competent.

At least Noel's sword was considerably more anime-as-gently caress, I'll give him that

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
That's actually serious, by the way. He's the last human from the year 700 (the distant future) after everyone died in the apocalypse and he goes back in time to save the future, with the help of Lightning's sister, from the evil machinations of Liam O'Brien. They don't do very well because Noel is a stupid failure.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Yuel is a poo poo and it's all her fault. Every kid is terrible except Lumina.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

http://gematsu.com/2015/12/final-fantasy-vii-remake-staff-discusses-voice-dating-scenes-mini-games-more#k73FoKvUqjQpHlc6.99
Short FF7R interview here:

quote:

Regarding Voices…

Nomura: “Basically, it will be fully voiced. We still haven’t decided the voices of the characters that weren’t in Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children.”

So does that mean dating events will be fully voiced?

Kitase: “It would be impossible not to. (Laughs.) However, since it’s different from that time and social situation, we need implement the reproduction of original events carefully.”

Nomura: “Ah, the Honey Bee Inn… (Laughs.)”

Is the map open world?

Kitase: “We can’t say anything yet, but we don’t plan on fussing about whether it’s a so-called open-world or sandbox. But since Nomura is more focused on the creation of the scenery, we want to express an environment character actions affect the scenery.”

Will there be mini-games?

Kitase: “We want to put the mini-games that remain favorable among fans in as much as possible.”

Nomura: “There were a lot of things from big to small, but we need to consider a bit whether it’s necessary to create them all with the latest technology.”

Kitase: “The development staff is also thinking about what to do with the mini-games.”

How’s production going?

Kitase: “We’re at the stage where we can say we’re finally getting started. We have ideas regarding battles, too, but it will take time to drop them into the actual game.”

Final Fantasy VII‘s 20th anniversary is in 2017. Can we expect anything for its original release date on January 31?

Kitase: “I can’t say anything at the moment. (Laughs.)”

Nomura: “Personally, I’m waiting for Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 and World of Final Fantasy in 2016. I think when they’re completed, I’ll be able to release new information.”

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

alcharagia posted:

That's actually serious, by the way. He's the last human from the year 700 (the distant future) after everyone died in the apocalypse and he goes back in time to save the future, with the help of Lightning's sister, from the evil machinations of Liam O'Brien. They don't do very well because Noel is a stupid failure.
Serah wasn't exactly helping in the brainpower department. Caius could've basically outwitted the two of them with a handful of shiny coins or some jangling keys.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Nakar posted:

Serah wasn't exactly helping in the brainpower department.
Those early game choices are all on the player.

I wish the recurring miniboss from 13-2 showed up in Lightning Returns, but the interdimensional metalhead ghost seems to have retired.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So here's a possibly interesting hire: Bandai Namco hired Julien Merceron.

For those that don't, he oversaw the development of the Fox Engine that is used by MGS5, a super good engine that works at high resolution on garbage PC's.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Was Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 a joke??

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

al-azad posted:

No, it is a port of Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, a video of one of the lovely browser games, and a playable demo/in-between story for Aqua using the KH3 engine.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

al-azad posted:

It's basically the Ground Zeroes of KH3

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

al-azad posted:

If you are talking about the name, Nomura actually explained this one:

quote:

Nomura said that because the games in Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix are set before Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, that game is actually "2.6" in the overall franchise.

"Since Kingdom Hearts χ Back Cover/Kingdom Hearts Unchained is supposed to be the first game in the mainline series, that is being represented as '0' in the collection," NovaCrystallis reports. "And lastly, Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep is '0.1' and that then leads into Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep."

Thus, the 2.8 number comes from 2.6 plus 0 plus 0.2.

Got it?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I love this series

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

“Do you know the name Sora mean the “sky,” in Japanese and Noctis, his family name is Caelum which mean sky as well so basically, Noctis mean “night sky,” so they are kind of complete opposites to each other.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So is the Etrian Odyssey roguelike game on 3DS any good? Also are there persistent mechanics that help you grow stronger between runs? Because I hate roguelikes that don't do that.

GulagDolls posted:

“Do you know the name Sora mean the “sky,” in Japanese and Noctis, his family name is Caelum which mean sky as well so basically, Noctis mean “night sky,” so they are kind of complete opposites to each other.

Also Riku means 'ground'.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

So is the Etrian Odyssey roguelike game on 3DS any good? Also are there persistent mechanics that help you grow stronger between runs? Because I hate roguelikes that don't do that.

They are very good but they're not roguelikes. They're straight dungeon crawlers. No permadeath, you travel into dungeons and then escape and go further.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I didn't know 2.8 was an actual thing until now so imagine someone with the bare minimum knowledge of Kingdom Hearts beyond the first game just reading that paragraph.

I have to imagine Nomura doing a sly wink but also I know he's dead serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ImpAtom posted:

They are very good but they're not roguelikes. They're straight dungeon crawlers. No permadeath, you travel into dungeons and then escape and go further.

Even better. Strange that they added the 'mystery Dungeon' moniker to it then.