Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nvm, I'm an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

hi i bought a 32 gig sd card, copied my poo poo over, and loaded it right into the 3ds. it does not recognize the sd card. what gives.

Is it formatted in FAT32? By default, a 32GB card won't be because FAT32 is old and bad, but the 3DS requires it to be.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Is it formatted in FAT32? By default, a 32GB card won't be because FAT32 is old and bad, but the 3DS requires it to be.

yyyup. reformatted it just to be safe, but i was using it in my wii before hand so it already was.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
The worst part about Codename STEAM is you can't really go at your own pace because just a few missions in enemies are respawning constantly. They really should have put that behind a higher difficulty setting. I thought the game started out pretty great, then quickly went into bullshit unfun mode.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
is there still a demo for codename steam? because if so i highly recommend trying it out, as it will cure you of any urge you may have had to play the full game.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

katkillad2 posted:

The worst part about Codename STEAM is you can't really go at your own pace because just a few missions in enemies are respawning constantly. They really should have put that behind a higher difficulty setting. I thought the game started out pretty great, then quickly went into bullshit unfun mode.

Change your team and push fast. I had that issue because I was addicted to snipin and camping. Good news is that respawning and such isnt every mission.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
You guys sold me on Steamworld Heist. I needed something to play over the holidays anyways.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Paper Triangle posted:

is there still a demo for codename steam? because if so i highly recommend trying it out, as it will cure you of any urge you may have had to play the full game.
It made me want to buy the game and that was before the patch. have a nice day :-)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
UK dudes,

LBX Little Battlers' Experience for 12.99GBP: http://deals.simplygames.com/p/little-battlers-experience-nintendo-3ds

Yoshi's Bad Island for 11.99GBP: http://deals.simplygames.com/p/yoshis-new-island-nintendo-selects-nintendo-3ds

Mario vs. DK: Minis on the Move / Minis March Again for 10.85GBP (two codes in a box): http://www.simplygames.com/p/mario-and-donkey-kong-minis-on-the-move--mario-vs-donkey-kong-minis-march-again-download-codes-box-nintendo-3ds

Chibi Robo for 9.99GBP: http://deals.simplygames.com/p/chibi-robo-zip-lash-nintendo-3ds

New Art Academy for 9.99GBP: http://www.simplygames.com/p/art-academy-nintendo-40791

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I had a lot more fun with Codename STEAM once I started to let myself use the save stations for healing. I'm still unclear whether the game's difficulty was balanced with those save stations in mind or not. Some missions it seems like using at least one is practically mandatory, but if you use them all (and there are tons of them in each mission, with almost no penalty for using them) the game becomes completely trivial. Limiting yourself to using only one per mission is a fair balance (and what I tried to do), but that sort of user-enforced difficulty curve always strikes me as really lazy game design.

I did ultimately like Codename STEAM, and would definitely recommend it to anyone on the fence.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I am enjoying Steamworld, it is fun.

Snipers seem a little not good. The ricochet shot is nice but it doesn't really balance out the negative of not being able to move, especially given how cramped the levels are.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I'm the opposite, I've found snipers extremely good, I dunno

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

PantsBandit posted:

Snipers seem a little not good. The ricochet shot is nice but it doesn't really balance out the negative of not being able to move, especially given how cramped the levels are.

Depends on the gun but you can trade off on your super crit if you use a normal pistol for snipin and just move and shoot once in a while.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Does anyone have any actual first-hand experience with this? I generally enjoy Level-5 games and playing a Build Fighters knockoff is appealing, but it doesn't exactly have glowing reviews.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Does anyone have any actual first-hand experience with this? I generally enjoy Level-5 games and playing a Build Fighters knockoff is appealing, but it doesn't exactly have glowing reviews.

To be fair, Custom Robo didn't either and I really liked Custom Robo. I haven't picked LBX yet though since I'm saving money so I can't give my thoughts on that yet. Just seems like a genre that's not critic-friendly.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I sunk 25+ hours into it. It was a good time, collecting and customizing robots. It's a silly story, but there's plenty to do. If you like Level 5, it's pretty par for the course. The actual battles are fun, depending on how you build your bots, and there's a good amount of challenge to be found tuning them right for some of the harder missions.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Allarion posted:

To be fair, Custom Robo didn't either and I really liked Custom Robo. I haven't picked LBX yet though since I'm saving money so I can't give my thoughts on that yet. Just seems like a genre that's not critic-friendly.

Yeah, that's basically why I'm thinking of getting it. :coffeepal:

Fix posted:

I sunk 25+ hours into it. It was a good time, collecting and customizing robots. It's a silly story, but there's plenty to do. If you like Level 5, it's pretty par for the course. The actual battles are fun, depending on how you build your bots, and there's a good amount of challenge to be found tuning them right for some of the harder missions.

Cool, thanks. I guess for £13, I can't go too wrong.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Nah, you'll totally get your hours for that price. Just embrace the dumb story/setting and you're good.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

There are weapons with decent scope that do the same thing but without forfeiting your turn for moving.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

What's a good RPG to get for the 3DS? I got one a few days ago w/ Super Mario 3D Land, and would like a good game to sink my time into.

Hadooooken
Sep 6, 2004

haunted bong posted:

What's a good RPG to get for the 3DS? I got one a few days ago w/ Super Mario 3D Land, and would like a good game to sink my time into.

I really recommend Bravely Default. Easily my favorite RPG on the system.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

haunted bong posted:

Fire Emblem Awakening depending on how you define an RPG. Bravely Default can be very fun as well if you put together a list of friends who have save data and make judicious use of the friend link features / encounter rate adjusters and skip optional quests in the late game to prevent it from slogging on.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The big ones are probably Shin Megami Tensei IV, Bravely Default, Etrian Odyssey IV, and Fire Emblem: Awakening. Of the lot my favorite was Bravely Default.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

haunted bong posted:

You should try the demo for Etrian Odyssey 4--if that game clicks for you, it really clicks.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

PantsBandit posted:

Maybe this depends on difficulty level but on the middle difficulty the 7+2 sniper gun that lets you move is better than the 6+4 gun that doesn't, because in the middle chapter you fight a lot of bots with 7 health, meaning that the 6+4 gun can still leave some bots standing if you're unlucky, even if the maximum damage you can do is higher than the max damage of the 7+2 gun.

Nate RFB posted:

The big ones are probably Shin Megami Tensei IV, Bravely Default, Etrian Odyssey IV, and Fire Emblem: Awakening. Of the lot my favorite was Bravely Default.

There's Xenoblade, which is a port of the Wii one. If you like grinding a lot, there's also Fantasy Life (best enjoyed when teaming up with friends), and Rune Factory 4, which is an RPG which is a bit simplistic on combat, but has a very intricate farming (literal farming) system, and gives you a lot to do in general. All of these are RPGs that will suck up many many hours if you're into lots of optional objectives.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
If you're up for ports there's also Tales of the Abyss.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

And that DQ game coming out in a few weeks!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Emron posted:

And that DQ game coming out in a few weeks!

Two of them, I think. 7 and 8 are being released close together, right?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Pokemon Picross is.. good, but the IAP cost to essentially unlock the full game is bullshit.

So I just picked up Picross E5 and E6, for like a 3rd of the cost of unlocking Pokemon, and now I have a ton of picross to play

:yeah:

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Quick question RE: Steamworld Heist. You can't get a hat off those explosive barrel Scrappers, right? It didn't seem possible, but I don't want to be missing a hat if it was.

Also, any good list of hats, particularly rare hat spawns? I know the game has only been out for a little while but information is really sparse.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I thought those weren't coming out until around next summer.

Infinitum posted:

Pokemon Picross is.. good, but the IAP cost to essentially unlock the full game is bullshit.

So I just picked up Picross E5 and E6, for like a 3rd of the cost of unlocking Pokemon, and now I have a ton of picross to play

:yeah:

You could always just... not spend any money on Pokemon Picross, like I am doing.
Sure you'll have to wait a couple of days between areas, but I don't feel like I need to do a marathon session of all however-many-hundred puzzles there are anyway.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Argue posted:

There's Xenoblade, which is a port of the Wii one.

Just take note, this is for the "New" 3DS only, haunted bong's post made it look as if he got the 3DS, not the New 3DS (and I went to order one on amazon the other day and found that the Mario bundle was not the New 3DS). Just wanted to clarify this so nobody buys a game they can't play.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

7 will be in summer and 8 will be later in the year. Maybe Winter to space things out. They haven't said much beyond that.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

8-bit Miniboss posted:

7 will be in summer and 8 will be later in the year. Maybe Winter to space things out. They haven't said much beyond that.

Oh. So there's no DQ game coming out soon?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Oh. So there's no DQ game coming out soon?

They don't even have release dates outside of 2016.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

FanaticalMilk posted:

They don't even have release dates outside of 2016.

gently caress, I misinterpreted what Amazon meant about item availability. I was all excited for that! My bad, I hope I didn't get anyone else hyped for disappointment with me.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Welp, Nintendo won't fix my 3DS because I can't pay as my credit card is from a different region. The 3DS is toast but I want to get another one. How does it work getting a new one up and running with the old one being broken? At least they are sending it back so I get my memory card which still works back. I also backed up the SD card to my computer.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
you have to call nintendo. jivjov says this process is not garbage, just different

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

If you had your NNID linked to your old 3ds then all your digital games should carry over. You may just need to call Nintendo first like noirstronaut said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

noirstronaut posted:

you have to call nintendo. jivjov says this process is not garbage, just different

It is A Unique Nintendo Experience. :waycool: