Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
http://duckfeed.tv/abjectsuffering/111

Toward the end of the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I liked Idle Weekend! I've said before I was never a big fan of Danielle on Thumbs, nothing against her personally, but I think she's generally been bad at saying much of anything interesting about a game, usually she just describes what it is and calls it delightful and then moves on. Here, being the host, it felt like she forced herself to be a lot more talkative which was nice to hear. Rob Zacny is good too.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Shots fired in the latest VGHD!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Ulta posted:

Austin Walker is my favorite new podcasting personality of 2015 (yes I know he has been podcasting for several years prior, but that was an actual play podcast). He's the anti Dan Rykert, but not in a hostile or canceling way, more of a ying and yang thing.

Austin is Patrick Klepek without the pretention and superiority complex :can: Not that I didn't like Patrick when he was around but I could listen to Austin talk about anything and he does the "intellectual gamer" thing so well. Agreed that he has been great on GBEast but he needs a guest spot on Thumbs ASAP.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

Shots fired in the latest VGHD!

The Fallout Debate: 2016. Given that Zack has a powerful 2nd in Riff, I'll need to find a sidekick.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Woffle posted:

The Fallout Debate: 2016. Given that Zack has a powerful 2nd in Riff, I'll need to find a sidekick.

Isn't that the whole point of having a Kole?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

NmareBfly posted:

I'm not sure if you got the right link there but what you actually linked is pretty amazing so it's hard to complain.

Oops. I copied the wrong tab apparently.

Show's pretty good though!

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Bug Squash posted:

Isn't that the whole point of having a Kole?

This sidekick doesn't feel strongly enough to take a side, honestly. That's why I volunteered to moderate.

I think the debate would be more interesting if it was "here's why my favorite Fallout is the best" instead of "New Vegas is the worst of the three" vs. "Nuh-uh". If that's how we handled it, it would be more fair with three.

I'm not really interested in seeing who wins, but it seems worth doing because Fallout fans and haters are some of the easiest people in the world to make angry.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I've been playing the Bloodborne DLC, and I have to say, Kole and Gary have to be kicking themselves for not reading The Shadow Over Innsmouth for the Lovecraft episode.

Also the DLC is great and I look forward to hearing it talked about on Bonfireside Chat.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I've been playing the Bloodborne DLC, and I have to say, Kole and Gary have to be kicking themselves for not reading The Shadow Over Innsmouth for the Lovecraft episode.

Also the DLC is great and I look forward to hearing it talked about on Bonfireside Chat.

Around the same time we did the Lovecraft episode, we did a bookclub talk on our Slack channel about Shadow Over Innsmouth. I wasn't expecting it to be as relevant, that's for sure!

As far as the Fallout thing goes, it's all good fun. I don't think there can be a winner (of course there can't be a winner). I'm equal parts gobsmacked by their take and interested to hear it elaborated on.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Song For The Deaf posted:

I'm not really interested in seeing who wins, but it seems worth doing because Fallout fans and haters are some of the easiest people in the world to make angry.

You rogue!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's crazy good. It feels really overwhelming at first if you start it on NG+, but that was true of Artorias of the Abyss and Sunken/Iron King too.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Woffle posted:

Just get Josh Sawyer.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

Just get Josh Sawyer.

Josh has been dodging bait to chime in on this feud for years, I don't think he'll start now.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I just want to express my disappointment that neither in the opening skit or the introduction did I hear "Goo-ry Butterfield".

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm enjoying the WOFF Rocket Slime episode almost as much as I enjoyed the game itself. (It's the first one I've completed in years? No wait, that sounds wrong)

END ME SCOOB posted:

I just want to express my disappointment that neither in the opening skit or the introduction did I hear "Goo-ry Butterfield".

Also this.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Man, that Pacte des loups episode was such a breath of fresh air. Wonderful to hear you guys having fun again. Wat a gorgeous, glorious mess that film is.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Cool to hear the woffboix are going to do Sanitarium. Do either of you have archives? There was a let's play on here a long time ago that had a developer commenting on his experience working on the game which might interest you. If you would like to read those posts but can't just holla atcha boy archive lover and I'll put them in a pastebin or something.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 18, 2015

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Osmosisch posted:

Man, that Pacte des loups episode was such a breath of fresh air. Wonderful to hear you guys having fun again. Wat a gorgeous, glorious mess that film is.

Yeah I listened to it earlier this week. I love that movie, including how long it is. If you cut out big parts of the first half I think you'd lose a lot of what makes it special.

I think the bit about the relationship between the main character and the woman going sour when she finds out a out his Italian prostitute makes a lot more sense when you compare it with other fiction based in that time period. A lot of melancholy and longing based on what we would now consider to be pretty marginal relationships.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I really enjoyed doing an episode about a movie, even if it barely had anything to do with games or Bloodborne.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I am still very much interested in you and Gary doing some movie commentaries. I know your time is suuuuper limited but I would totally pay more to hear you two gab about good and bad movies.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Congrats to you, Ga/le, on the A/V Club's readership going to bat for y'all.

quote:

The podcast The A.V. Club should cover in 2016 is...

2. Watch Out For Fireballs!

Also notable (but not games-related) is the excellent I Don't Even Own a Television placing as 9th best podcast of the year.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Idle weekend is real good and it has my new favorite podcast intro jingle, narrowly overtaking C&C.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki

Hakkesshu posted:

I liked Idle Weekend! I've said before I was never a big fan of Danielle on Thumbs, nothing against her personally, but I think she's generally been bad at saying much of anything interesting about a game, usually she just describes what it is and calls it delightful and then moves on. Here, being the host, it felt like she forced herself to be a lot more talkative which was nice to hear. Rob Zacny is good too.

Exactly. I could not agree more.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Idle Weekend is such a good show I'm actually writing a letter to them from work because of the discussion at hand, on a phone keyboard. This is a bigger pain in the rear end than it sounds, but says a lot about how fond I am after two episodes.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So I've been listening to the WOFF episode on System shock 2 and I have to get this off my chest: the problems with the SS2 ending mostly exist because that wasn't the intended ending. They outsourced the cutscenes to another company, when they got the footage it was not at all what they wanted but it was too late in development and/or they didn't have the budget to redo them so they cobbled together what they could.

You can see these time constraints too in the Rickenbacker/Body ot Many levels in that they are excessively linear and unpolished compared to the rest of the game.

Secondly it feels kind of weird how little was said about the weird weapon (in)balances - with the normal weapons being insanely powerful and utilitarian and the other weapon skills - especially energy and exotic being far too gimmicky and situational to rely on.

Lastly - didn't any of you find this easter egg while doing research? If no, enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jlie25i7Gk

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

END ME SCOOB posted:

Also notable (but not games-related) is the excellent I Don't Even Own a Television placing as 9th best podcast of the year.

Big fan of Fallout 4, Batman: Arkham Knight and Metal Gear Solid V all appearing on the best game of the year and most disappointing game of the year lists. Oh, video games. :allears:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

END ME SCOOB posted:

That's a lot of people disappointed in Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash of all things.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Randallteal posted:

Big fan of Fallout 4, Batman: Arkham Knight and Metal Gear Solid V all appearing on the best game of the year and most disappointing game of the year lists. Oh, video games. :allears:

Give us hell, Quimby!

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

double nine posted:

System Shock 2 stuff

RE: The weapon imbalance thing. This was really more of a function of our only having played the game this time. It didn't come up in our playthroughs and though I knew that others have had problems with the weapon balance, I couldn't really speak to it, so I didn't mention it.

The basketball thing was a glaring omission, however. I knew about that and just forgot to mention it in the episode.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Speaking of Bonfireside Films, I think of this part of Shadow of the Vampire every time the sense of dignity bosses have in Souls games gets mentioned, particularly in the discussion of Cainhurst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgqgSaDCgC4

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

END ME SCOOB posted:

Idle Weekend is such a good show I'm actually writing a letter to them from work because of the discussion at hand, on a phone keyboard. This is a bigger pain in the rear end than it sounds, but says a lot about how fond I am after two episodes.

I'm enjoying Idle Weekend so far but I really feel like it could use a third person.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

habanero walrus posted:

I'm enjoying Idle Weekend so far but I really feel like it could use a third person.

I'd agree with this.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Randallteal posted:

Different people have different opinions! That doesn't surprise me re: Fallout 4 in particular. Bethesda's open-world games are incredibly polarizing, which you can see in this very forum (where a bunch of people pre-ordered the deluxe ten thousand dollar edition without knowing a thing about the game and a bunch of other people posted 50 times a day in the thread about how bad it was before it even came out).

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm happy for people that enjoyed Fallout 4 but I knew as soon as footage for that game was available that it would be an upgraded and slightly tepid Fallout 3. That's not surprising, the surprising thing is that the fans of the series are happy thats exactly what they got.

Fallout 4 sold more copies than Super Mario 64, that's both hosed up and frightening.

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 21, 2015

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ramagamma posted:

Fallout 4 sold more copies than Super Mario 64, that's both hosed up and frightening.

So did two Wii Fit games, seven Call of Duty games (none of which are the original Modern Warfare), Nintendogs, and Kinect Adventures (though admittedly probably only because it was a pack-in).

EDIT: Sorry, "Kinect Adventures!"

Baku fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 21, 2015

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ramagamma posted:

If you ignore that quite some time has passed since then and that it was exclusive to a single console*, then yes, it is.

*I'm assuming that when looking at sale numbers they don't include the DS version.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

We brave the wolves and weather once again in our newest Retronauts holiday special—this one's about the very, VERY bad Christmas cartoon, "Sonic Christmas Blast." (Which is freely available on YouTube if you want to do your homework.)

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/retronauts-celebrates-the-holidays-with-sonic-christmas-blast

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think there are a lot of things more hosed up and frightening, imo, and one game some people think is tepid or disappointing grappling with Super Mario 64 for the vaunted position of "42nd best selling game of all time" behind a bunch of motion control shovelware and seven annualized Call of Duties is probably neither indicative of nor going to usher in the death of games

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Different people have different opinions! That doesn't surprise me re: Fallout 4 in particular. Bethesda's open-world games are incredibly polarizing, which you can see in this very forum (where a bunch of people pre-ordered the deluxe ten thousand dollar edition without knowing a thing about the game and a bunch of other people posted 50 times a day in the thread about how bad it was before it even came out).

It doesn't require different people or different opinions for something to be considered the most disappointing game of the year and also the best game of the year.

MGSV falls right into that category for me, it is both my favourite game of the year by far and also the one I was the most disappointed by.

Fallout 4 is just trash though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Ramagamma posted:

I'm happy for people that enjoyed Fallout 4 but I knew as soon as footage for that game was available that it would be an upgraded and slightly tepid Fallout 3. That's not surprising, the surprising thing is that the fans of the series are happy thats exactly what they got.

This is like those Imgur posts expecting you to be horrified Rihanna has sold more albums than Creedence Clearwater Revival

• Locked thread