Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Anyone own a Walrus Audio Descent and wanna splurge about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Handen posted:

What the gently caress is this supposed to be a clone of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNFe6NeBgFc

I'm wondering too.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've been looking at building an actual pedal board and have thus been going more into learning about pedals. Distortion/fuzz/overdrive is fairly straight forward, but apart from how tweakable they go what's the real difference between, say, two analog delays, set at the same delay time, feedback, etc. I understand that different pedals offer different options for these settings but what's the sound difference? Chorus, flanger, phasers all have different depths and rates and how wild they go but surely a delay is, aside from analog v digital, just a delay?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

syntaxfunction posted:

I've been looking at building an actual pedal board and have thus been going more into learning about pedals. Distortion/fuzz/overdrive is fairly straight forward, but apart from how tweakable they go what's the real difference between, say, two analog delays, set at the same delay time, feedback, etc. I understand that different pedals offer different options for these settings but what's the sound difference? Chorus, flanger, phasers all have different depths and rates and how wild they go but surely a delay is, aside from analog v digital, just a delay?

I can't really help you on the why and how but every delay I've owned has sounded wildly different. I would honestly say in my experience that delays have a wider range of varying sounds than dirt pedals.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Weird BIAS posted:

I'm wondering too.

Not sure it's a clone. Given that they demo "Burn" for a bit, and based on the way it sounds, it might be an attempt at a full-range treble booster, though it doesn't really sound like a Rangemaster. It nails the "Burn" sound pretty well, but that was a modded Marshall with a tape deck preamp.

syntaxfunction posted:

Digital delays vary in how much they try to emulate some form of analog delay, from not at all (some of the Boss DD-whatevers) to quite a lot. Analogs will vary in how they're voiced. Some are murkier than others. Fancier ones might have an effects loop.

Choruses vary in voicing too, at least with the simpler ones. A Small Clone won't really sound like a Boss. Fancier ones can cover more ground. Same with flangers. An MXR is good at thick and heavy, an ADA will do a lighter Pat Travers sort of thing.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

how do i get the slightly fuzzed/distorted tone on jeff beck's 'scatterbrain'?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
just bought a masf posessed, cant wait for it to come in.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Abel Wingnut posted:

how do i get the slightly fuzzed/distorted tone on jeff beck's 'scatterbrain'?

find a fuzz-face based fuzz circuit that reacts well with your tone/volume knobs.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

How are the cheaper power supplies? The caline CP-05 and joyos Jp-02?

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

The JP-02 works about as well as a One-Spot but with the added advantage of having 12v and 18v outputs and a better form factor for pedal boards. The outputs obviously aren't fully isolated but they are separately regulated I think, since the last 9V output allows higher current draw for digital effects.

I have no experience with the Caline unit but from the look of it I would guess it's exactly the same unit.

It's worth nothing that Joyo just brought out a fully isolated supply which might be a better option.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

It's £80 for that price I may as well go for a fuel tank. I don't know why I'm looking new tbh, should be looking second hand.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Any pedal modders or builders here?

I need some help with a mod that would probably be simple to you. I make wallets for a living (philswallets.com,) and if you can walk me through the mod, I'll send you a wallet.

I have a box of rock that I love, but I don't need the clean boost at the end of the circuit. I play through a solid state amp so the Super Hard On has nothing to push. It is just a "Loud" knob. I keep the BOR at a nice edge of breakup and would love to use the boost to push the dirt side of the pedal. It reacts really well to a boost in front of it, so it would be sweet to have that in one box.

Here are the schematics, and some pictures of the guts:
https://hotbottles.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/zvex_boxofrock_schematics.jpg http://imgur.com/a/m7Tk6

Feel free to email or gchat me at philkop at gmail if your interested

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've been messing around with models in AmpliTube and on a lark I bought the Tubescreamer model. This thing is great, I've been using it as a boost on the JCM800 model and wow. I'm not actually usually a fan of Marshall but I'm really liking the sound and using the TS with full volume and none-to-little drive gives the gain I've always wanted from the JCM800.

Now I'm looking to get one for realsies, to pair with my Vox NT50H because the gain channel on it is very Marshall-esque but I've always found it lacked mid range. Not so much gain, but as I'd be using the TS as a mid-boost essentially I'm not worried about that. My question is what competitors to a TS9 or clone are there? I'm thinking Soul Food/Klones? Would the Soul Food get me the same result of that nice mid boost with the extra gain on tap? Money is an issue, I'm planning this as a Christmas present to myself and I'm looking at <AU$200.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Maxon OD808/Digitech Bad Monkey/Boss SD-1 are the more common tubescreamer alternatives.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

If you like the tubescreamer get one of them, there are soooo many variations. Wey huge green rhino or the mxr one with the 100hz cut would be my recommendations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The Nobels ODR1 is one of the best I've tried. But to be clear, I use all ODs as clean boosts. What do you play?

muike fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 18, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
The MXR 77 is basically a modified SD-1, and for only $100 new it sounds fantastic so maybe check that out as well.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Good suggestions! I'll try and find a local store that stocks a few of the suggested ones to give them a try in person. As for styles, mainly alt-rock with loads of gain. Bit of metal. I love the super compressed and saturated wall of noise/layers of guitars for what I write. Lots of quiet-loud bits.

So far the main ones I'm looking at are:
TS9
Bad Monkey
OD808
SD-1
Soul Food?

Sound like a good list to try and play in person?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
try the green rhino. the gain on that thing is reminiscent of the huge, bass-heavy sounds the pumpkins got with their big muffs

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Will do! I think the closest place to me is a Dunlop/Way Huge dealer too. I actually have a Muff (Bass Big Muff) and while I like the extra gain and thickness I'm hoping to keep a lot of my amp's character in it, just with a bit more lower mids/mid bump and maybe pushing the amp more with more "neutral" gain. The wall of Muff is fun and I'm going with that approach at the moment but I'm also trying to use my amp tone because it's both more tameable, stacks/layers really well and sounds a bit more unique.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What amp are you running right now? Like I said, I really like my Nobels (it's apparently the OD of choice for the Nasvhille scene) but some pedals pair better with other amps than others.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm running a Vox Night Train 50 head and matching 2*12. Gain usually sits a bit more than 3/4 on the gain channel and miss are basically maxed with treble halfish and bass a bit more than half. It does the job in the room usually but I'd just like that but more oomph.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Digitech Bad Monkey have been discontinued recently so buy one now if you still want a bargain from Ebay or wherever, these will go up I reckon a LOT now

http://digitech.com/en/products/bad-monkey

Sad news :(

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Many moons ago I had a Nobels bass overdrive (no idea what happened to it) but that thing was built like a drat tank and had the sound to match.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

peter gabriel posted:

Digitech Bad Monkey have been discontinued recently so buy one now if you still want a bargain from Ebay or wherever, these will go up I reckon a LOT now

http://digitech.com/en/products/bad-monkey

Sad news :(

Digitech is cutting most of their "old" style pedals and going with their new boutique branded ones so I bet it will return with a new look/name. If not though, yeah, those are going to start going up in value for sure.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Kilometers Davis posted:

Digitech is cutting most of their "old" style pedals and going with their new boutique branded ones so I bet it will return with a new look/name. If not though, yeah, those are going to start going up in value for sure.

That's a probability I hope :)
Yeah the normal sane people of today will all be bluesdads in 20 years and Bad Monkeys will cost £1000

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

NonzeroCircle posted:

Many moons ago I had a Nobels bass overdrive (no idea what happened to it) but that thing was built like a drat tank and had the sound to match.

Unfortunately the enclosures aren't as sturdy nowadays and have plastic battery compartments, but are compatible with remote switches. All told, it doesn't bother me, but I'd probably put it in a custom enclosure if I was doing serious gigging or touring.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah, I was able to score a timebender right after they were discontinued a year or two ago and that thing loving rules since it's basically a DD20 with a whammy on the repeats if you plug in an expression pedal.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Does anybody here have experience with the Morpheus Droptune or Digitech's The Drop? How do they work with other tunings beyond Standard D / Drop-D?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wark Say posted:

Does anybody here have experience with the Morpheus Droptune or Digitech's The Drop? How do they work with other tunings beyond Standard D / Drop-D?

I did a lot of research before buying the Digitech Drop and I can definitely say the Digitech is much better than the Morpheus. It has minimal lag even on the octave mode. Noticeable to me, but not anything that makes playing in time difficult.

That said I've realized I don't need drop tunings enough to give it space on my board so I'm probably putting mine up on Reverb soon. I can't say anything bad about the pedal though. It's better than the rest of the pedals trying the same thing by a large margin.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I have a DD 500 and I feel like I have not begun to crack the surface of all the wacky poo poo this thing can do

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I thought the DD20 was nuts when I first got it.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I've had my dd20 for almost 10 years and still don't know what it can do.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I've somehow got a Zoom 505 and I don't know wtf

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Alright so I am looking into getting a compressor pedal for guitar after playing with models in Amplitube. Is there a decent one that's sub $50 usd or should I be expecting to spend ~$70-100?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

Alright so I am looking into getting a compressor pedal for guitar after playing with models in Amplitube. Is there a decent one that's sub $50 usd or should I be expecting to spend ~$70-100?

You've tried the Skyline Komp? A lady I was recording brought it up and she told me that she got it for like 40 bucks. Was probably the only thing not worth a small fortune in her pedalboard. Sounded pretty dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcVC-oB7dVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXtCC2cDAFw

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Wark Say posted:

You've tried the Skyline Komp? A lady I was recording brought it up and she told me that she got it for like 40 bucks. Was probably the only thing not worth a small fortune in her pedalboard. Sounded pretty dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcVC-oB7dVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXtCC2cDAFw

That does sound really good but she must have scored it used from someone because it's an $80ish pedal too :v:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shugojin posted:

i love my Dyna Comp and you can absolutely get one for less than 50 bucks, but it has kind of a unique character that not everybody seems to like. they're everywhere and cheap though, so i definitely recommend it.

if i should fall into a bunch of money sometime soon, i might spring for a fancier one (either the Philosopher's Tone or a Diamond Comp)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

That does sound really good but she must have scored it used from someone because it's an $80ish pedal too :v:

Bummer. Seemed to be really new / without any road wear. Her pedalboard alone is like in the $5k range. And the weirdest thing is that she really uses the pedals very subtly.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i love my Dyna Comp and you can absolutely get one for less than 50 bucks, but it has kind of a unique character that not everybody seems to like. they're everywhere and cheap though, so i definitely recommend it.

if i should fall into a bunch of money sometime soon, i might spring for a fancier one (either the Philosopher's Tone or a Diamond Comp)

Basically also this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Noise Machine posted:

I've had my dd20 for almost 10 years and still don't know what it can do.

I CAN PROGRAM EVERYTHING