Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

My new Lumia 950 gave me about 12 hours of what I would consider relatively light usage today (under similar circumstances I think my 920 would've lasted 18). Should I exchange the phone, or the battery?

I'm pretty sure it's the buggy OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rip Testes posted:

Lumia 1520, Windows Phone 8.1.

Why does xbox music take forever to load up an album in my collection? I'll select the artist and the screen will just be black for 20 seconds or so before the album art and track list display.

Because it sucks. If you have a way to launch the 8.0 music app (there's something like Music Hub Tile that will do it) it's nearly instantaneous and much less buggy!

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Rip Testes posted:

Lumia 1520, Windows Phone 8.1.

Why does xbox music take forever to load up an album in my collection? I'll select the artist and the screen will just be black for 20 seconds or so before the album art and track list display.

Is your music on a MicroSD card?

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum

Drastic Actions posted:

This is the chart of unique user sessions of my Awful app. Since the release (or at least the RTM of Windows Mobile 10), the 640 and 930 have now shot right to the top. Like, nearly all users of the app are on phones, and few use it on tablets.

I'm one of the few using it on a tablet. A windows tablet even (Thinkpad 10), though running 8.1. It is way more necessary for a phone, but still really convenient on this tablet since somethingawful on chrome, in portrait mode, kind of blows.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

OldPueblo posted:

Is your music on a MicroSD card?

Nope, I've yet to install an SD Card.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
To the surprise of no one MS will not be releasing W10 on mobiles this year.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Darth TNT posted:

To the surprise of no one MS will not be releasing W10 on mobiles this year.

hooray for the idiotic brave few (including me) who bought a phone before its os released.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

By the way, I am still on 10586.0, in Scandinavia, does anyone know if this is a matter of a staggered roll-out not having got here or is it caused by some issue?

Also, on that subject, is Windows Insider still running on WP10 or is it now irrelevant?

Read around on this, and apparently being stuck on .0 for no good reason is a known issue supposedly being resolved. The alternative being a hard reset. Since my phone is actually working mostly fine (i.e. work getting done) I think I'll hold off for a fix.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Read around on this, and apparently being stuck on .0 for no good reason is a known issue supposedly being resolved. The alternative being a hard reset. Since my phone is actually working mostly fine (i.e. work getting done) I think I'll hold off for a fix.

Could you not just flash the phone with the Recovery tool and hope it uses a later version of the OS?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

No better than a reset is it? I am not in a huge hurry. I sort of wonder if it is related to my work ActiveSync account though, I seem to recall seeing the update before, then I set the account up and didn't see it. It claims to apply settings when you add the accounts, does it actually pick up a bunch of NT domain-style settings which may be arbitrarily stupid?

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Is there a way to read the forums on Windows Phone without showing/downloading avatars? I'm on Windows 8.1 with a very limited data plan.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

RVProfootballer posted:

Seems like this is a hang up, no? I'm struggling to think of a desktop program I've installed lately that doesn't use one of these. This means stuff like Evernote (must be running background task to stay synced? would seem to rule out a huge class of cloud-synced apps...), any media program (upon installation, can they scan for media files of the appropriate type to add to your library?). "Must not run a background task, scan the file system, or live in the system tray" just seems to be incredibly restrictive of programs that aren't games (and a PC game isn't going to be a universal app anyway, obviously). Am I missing something or did I misinterpret what those functions would be used for?

Onenote runs fine as a UWP app - is Evernote any different?

Media apps run fine - the UWP app declares that it can handle audio files, and is therefore given permission to scan the "Documents" folders for all audio files. (they can't scan outside that).

Facebook+Twitter clients run fine. They can respond to background notifications. They just can't do heavy processing.

iTunes would work fine. It can use music library, share music, play to remote speakers, all that. It'd no longer be able to install its system-wide resource-hog "background updater". Instead that functionality would come for free in a much more efficient lightweight way.

Emacs, notepad++, all kinds of text editors would work fine.

Visual Studio / Eclipse / whatever would work fine for development, though they'd be disallowed to hook into arbitrary processes for debugging.

Skype works fine of course - background notifications, ...

Camtasia would work fine - video editing + production.

A zip utility would work fine - the app would declare that it handles zip files. They wouldn't be able to install arbitrary junk in your WindowsExplorer right-click menu. But they'd appear under "open with", and you can make them it the default for clicking on a zip file.

Excel, Word, Powerpoint - everything these do can be done by UWP apps.

WinDirStat - it could no longer automatically scan your entire C:\ drive. Instead the user has to give it explicit permission (e.g. by selecting the C:\ directory in the FileOpen dialog). The app can save this permission. Once it has permission, it's able to recursively search every subdirectory.

The only app I currently have installed which can't be done as UWP is Camtasia Recorder - this does video-capture of the entire screen. I guess Fraps would be the same.

In my opinion, for the large majority of apps, UWP is just desktop apps "done right" in a cleaner, more secure, more privacy-respecting, less invasive manner, and the operating system enforces all those things.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Farewell, sweet thread. My Galaxy Note 5 arrives today. It turns out that more than 2 years between phone releases is a Bad Idea, because the previous phone will break through heavy use before the new one is available for sale. :smith:

I sincerely hope I'll be back; MSFT has so much potential in the mobile space (he said for the past decade or more).

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

At minimum you'll have a lot of fun exploring the broader app ecosystem, see you back in 2 years! ;)

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Factor Mystic posted:

If I wanted to write an app that didn't integrate with the system and had easy distribution and analytics and was self contained and cross platform, I would write a web app.

Build a web app with WinJS. Then you can leverage the same code in a UWP, and run it as a website itself. Netflix made their new UWP app with WinJS and React. So not only can they use the same code and UI they would use elsewhere, but they can also tap into built in Windows 10 features.

You use the appropriate tools you need to for your app. The same things that could be said for UWP could also be said for iOS and Android too. Hence why there are so many web specific toolkits out there. Some apps can be build with HTML, others (Facebook) can't with reasonable performance.

If nothing else, UWP does offer ways for web apps to be build for the platform, and integrate with OS functions, like Cortana or Toasts or Live titles, and so on.

ljw1004 posted:

In my opinion, for the large majority of apps, UWP is just desktop apps "done right" in a cleaner, more secure, more privacy-respecting, less invasive manner, and the operating system enforces all those things.

Skype is not a UWP though; it's "Skype Video" and "Messages", which if they keep working at it and add true SMS integration could awesome. Right now it just works. Skype chat rooms with more than 20 people nearly always crash if I try to open them, but otherwise it works... with less functions then the Skype Win32 app. Now, that's not because UWP can't do that stuff, but they just have to rework and add it in.

But the zip app I would say is an area where, sure, you can make a UWP, but for desktops it is far less important. I use 7Zip, and usually I extract whole directories into folders by right clicking a file, going to 7Zip's explorer extension, and clicking "Extract files to folder...". It's much quicker than opening a whole program to do the same thing. It's not a mission critical feature, but it's a little convenience that's nice.

Stuff like Jumplist are now enabled for UWP apps, so I can right click on the start bar icon or hold down on a live tile and add additional items to show there. It does not seem like it would be a stretch though to add explorer extension functionality to the Windows Desktop Extensions for UWP though. If you're on a desktop (and maybe let the user explicitly allow), add these additional options to explorer. If you're not on a desktop, or where it makes sense to have that, then the API is not exposed and don't let them do it.

You know way more about this than I do, so I'm only speaking for what I know by what's currently in the SDK (and I don't know everything in the SDK! It's got tons of nice features I probably haven't seen or used yet.). But it seems to me like a lot of the functions that people are concerned about not having in desktop apps could be handled by allowing more APIs to be opened up for Desktop apps. If users expect more functions, like system trays icons or explorer extensions, that are in Win32 apps to be in WinRT, then it could be opened just for Desktop apps, but not allowed on platforms where they don't make sense.

But that's me :shrug:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mr Funkface posted:

HAAAA! Put this in One Sentence Reviews!

It's a legit question. :/

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

CharlesM posted:

It's a legit question. :/

Short answer: No.

Long answer: No, and do you really think it would be much better?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Welp, my phone issues just hit critical mass. The recent update with the Windows Phone was killing my battery, not going through and wouldn't even let me update any apps. The phone became worthless over the weekend, I did a phone reset to try and fix it and uhh... this is my phone:

Yes, the only app I have is Cortana. If I bring the dropdown menu down and click settings it asks if I want to search the store for that because I don't have a Settings app. I also don't have a Store app. What the gently caress Microsoft. Time to go get a replacement.

bushes
Nov 6, 2003

Kids running around naked fuckin' in the bushes

s.i.r.e. posted:

Welp, my phone issues just hit critical mass. The recent update with the Windows Phone was killing my battery, not going through and wouldn't even let me update any apps. The phone became worthless over the weekend, I did a phone reset to try and fix it and uhh... this is my phone:

Yes, the only app I have is Cortana. If I bring the dropdown menu down and click settings it asks if I want to search the store for that because I don't have a Settings app. I also don't have a Store app. What the gently caress Microsoft. Time to go get a replacement.
Oh come on all you need is Cortana. She can learn your name!

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

s.i.r.e. posted:

You could use the Windows Phone recovery program to flash it back to the default state.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

s.i.r.e. posted:

I knew WP had an app gap but that is ridiculous.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Drastic Actions posted:

You could use the Windows Phone recovery program to flash it back to the default state.

I gave it a shot; it didn't work. Now the phone won't even boot.

lol, I'm done with Windows Phone after this.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

This might be the saddest IYG thread, and that is saying something :)

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

hotsauce posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the buggy OS.

Yeah, the messaging app is probably the most egregious part of Windows 10. It's so buggy in so many ways, I can barely describe it. One of the most frustrating examples though, is that if I'm in a text thread and send out a new text, it can take up to 5 seconds for it to migrate from the text input field to the chat history part of the screen (that's if the keyboard doesn't freeze). Then, if I receive a text back, I have to actually leave the app in order for the text to appear. It won't appear in the thread, nor in the messaging home screen, until I restart the app. And the live tile simply doesn't update or shows a text that is 5 up in the chain.

So given all of that poo poo, I check out the battery usage (not with Battery Sense mind you, since that no longer exists), and it turns out Messaging is absorbing about 50% of my battery.

Which explains why yesterday I left for work on 100% and had to put my phone on battery saver my 11:00 am, and power down by 1:00 for a few hours to ensure I had enough battery for the trip home.

Oh and the standard Nokia wireless charger I've been using for years with my 920 is apparently not compatible.

Time to find out what an iPhone feels like. I've loved Windows Phone from day 1, and been an embarrassingly vocal evangelist for a long time, but there's nothing here for me anymore. When their own core apps can't seem to get live tiles to work, the game is up. They are simply too many steps behind iPhone and Android. Now they are going to spend the next 6 months optimizing the base OS so that's it's as stable and pleasurable as...WP7 was?

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

Now they are going to spend the next 6 months optimizing the base OS so that's it's as stable and pleasurable as...WP7 was?

Which is insane because windows phone 7 came out 5 years ago.

Regardless, can't imagine Microsoft will ever pull out of the mobile market. A 1% marketshare globally is still what, 5 million users?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is anyone able to get Cortana reminders made on Win10 to sync to their W8.1 phone? Mine appear to be device-specific.

Jewmanji posted:

Oh and the standard Nokia wireless charger I've been using for years with my 920 is apparently not compatible.
This makes no sense? They all use Qi technology.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 20, 2015

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

Is anyone able to get Cortana reminders made on Win10 to sync to their W8.1 phone? Mine appear to be device-specific.

This makes no sense? They all use Qi technology.

Yeah I don't understand it. The coils on the back cover must be in a slightly different place. Unless there's a way to turn it on/off in settings that I'm unaware of.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah I don't understand it. The coils on the back cover must be in a slightly different place. Unless there's a way to turn it on/off in settings that I'm unaware of.

Yeah, someone commented earlier in the thread that the coils are too high up (?) on the body for the stand-style chargers to get at them. A really sort of stupid additional annoyance considering almost all 950 buyers will be rather deluded (;)) returning customers.

I ended up remembering that the backup experience on Windows Phone is reasonably trivial, went through and got my phone updated after all. Overall though, this thread is doom and gloom, but even in its somewhat raw state WM10 really is a fairly pleasant place to be, I don't feel nearly as much as a hapless guinea pig as I did when I first got the 920 (remember how the initial firmware didn't even really manage to take good pictures, or the truly hopeless app situation was at that time?) and not nearly as much as when I got a HTC Hero back in the day. It is hard to argue with there being no real proper reason to buy into the platform other than some very subjective preferences though.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I can't just put the phone slightly lower on the plate? The angled plate is a write-off regardless.

scavok
Feb 22, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

I can't just put the phone slightly lower on the plate? The angled plate is a write-off regardless.

Mine charges my 950, but it is painfully slow. While I was on business in an area where I only got about 1 bar signal with 4G, my battery would drain faster than my 920 Qi charger could charge it. It worked well enough at home, so it was the only charger I brought, but I guess the bad signal had it really stretching the power. Of course nobody else on the planet has the USB cable that is required for the 950, so I had no alternative way to charge. I had to spend an all day for 2 weeks with my phone off, while I'm traveling on business when having a phone is the most important thing in the world to me, just so I could turn it on for a few minutes every hour to check for missed calls/emails/texts, and have enough left over for navigation or emergencies.

To add on to the frustration, you apparently can't charge the phone while it's powered off. It will turn itself on if it isn't dead. So I would have to keep it in airplane mode at night to charge it back up.

I'm not giving up with it though. Partly because I think the Microsoft will work the issues out eventually, and partly because I spent $600 on it.

scavok fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 21, 2015

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

scavok posted:

Mine charges my 950, but it is painfully slow. While I was on business in an area where I only got about 1 bar signal with 4G, my battery would drain faster than my 920 Qi charger could charge it. It worked well enough at home, so it was the only charger I brought, but I guess the bad signal had it really stretching the power. Of course nobody else on the planet has the USB cable that is required for the 950, so I had no alternative way to charge. I had to spend an all day for 2 weeks with my phone off, while I'm traveling on business when having a phone is the most important thing in the world to me, just so I could turn it on for a few minutes every hour to check for missed calls/emails/texts, and have enough left over for navigation or emergencies.

To add on to the frustration, you apparently can't charge the phone while it's powered off. It will turn itself on if it isn't dead. So I would have to keep it in airplane mode at night to charge it back up. I say put it in airplane mode, because you apparently can't charge the 950 with the phone off.

I'm not giving up with it though. Partly because I think the Microsoft will work the issues out eventually, and partly because I spent $600 on it.

My 925 and 640XL both can't be charged while powered off, they just start themselves so this isn't just a 950 issue.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Guillermus posted:

My 925 and 640XL both can't be charged while powered off, they just start themselves so this isn't just a 950 issue.

520 as well, I thought it was just a Windows Phone thing. Thinking about it, I don't think iPhones could charge whilst off when I last used one (albeit that was back in the days of the iPhone 4).

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Captain Pike posted:

Will the $39 ATT phone work on T-mobile?

Yes it does! I ordered one and unlocked it through ATT's website, for use on T-mobile.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

scavok posted:

To add on to the frustration, you apparently can't charge the phone while it's powered off. It will turn itself on if it isn't dead. So I would have to keep it in airplane mode at night to charge it back up. I say put it in airplane mode, because you apparently can't charge the 950 with the phone off.

That's not a big deal as I always go wired on the road and wireless at home. I'm not thrilled that I'll need to buy the new plates for what's already an overpriced phone but I'm not switching to iOS for my mobile after I noticed the keyboard will always capitalize "apple" even if you are writing about the fruit and not the company.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

DarkMalfunction posted:

520 as well, I thought it was just a Windows Phone thing. Thinking about it, I don't think iPhones could charge whilst off when I last used one (albeit that was back in the days of the iPhone 4).

My old Galaxy S worked that way too, but for some reason after upgrading it manually from Android 2.3.6 to a Cyanogenmod build it let me charge it while powered off, go figure.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
I'm seeing a lot of emojis coming though from other phones (iPhones) which aren't compatible with WPhone (8.1). I'm guessing MS hasn't gotten up to date on the current unicode? What's the word on WP10? Is stuff like motorcycle coming through?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I'm guessing not. I get blank squares instead of emoji's on the current build. Maybe when the not beta version of W10m gets released.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

That's not a big deal as I always go wired on the road and wireless at home. I'm not thrilled that I'll need to buy the new plates for what's already an overpriced phone but I'm not switching to iOS for my mobile after I noticed the keyboard will always capitalize "apple" even if you are writing about the fruit and not the company.

For someone who is so opposed to the reality distortion field of Apple, you seem slavishly and ironically obedient to a phone that is embarrassingly bad.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Shumagorath posted:

the keyboard will always capitalize "apple" even if you are writing about the fruit and not the company.

It also does that with the word windows but you know whatevs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mr Funkface posted:

I'm seeing a lot of emojis coming though from other phones (iPhones) which aren't compatible with WPhone (8.1). I'm guessing MS hasn't gotten up to date on the current unicode? What's the word on WP10? Is stuff like motorcycle coming through?

iOS 9 introduced color emojis. Also, Kim Kardashian emojis or something???

larchesdanrew posted:

It also does that with the word windows but you know whatevs.

My phone doesn't do that???