Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I saw the movie today and it was good and awesome and fun and star warsy as gently caress.

I've been ignoring it until now, TPM was so bad I never saw 2 or 3. I never watched any trailers for TFA, but it's seriously the star warsiest thing I've ever seen and I love it. I love the new characters and old characters and even kylo ren even if he does look like JP from grandma's boy, maybe he will have metal legs next movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Found more pages from the visual dictionary online. Spoilery stuff below so don't make the image bigger if you don't want details.

I love the cross-section of Kylo Ren's lightsaber. There are some cool bits that explain as to why it looks the way it does, which basically confirmed my speculation when the very first teaser dropped in that basically it's a janky as gently caress saber built by someone who didn't really know what he was doing. I had initially thought that maybe it were some like proto-lightsaber or Sith relic that he found, but after getting to know the character, it makes sense. Kylo Ren tried to make it look old on purpose too. Lol, what a nerd.

Rest of the images here: http://imgur.com/a/7PLzS

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 22, 2015

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Davros1 posted:

They should have waited for Ren to take off his mask. Instead of doing it before Rey, it probably would have been a more powerful moment if the first time we saw his face is when his father asked him to remove it.

Speaking of which. I'll buy into spaceships, lightsabers, The Force and all that, but am I truly supposed to believe that Kylo Ren's hair looks that magnificent once the helmut is removed?

I don't think it was supposed to be like...dramatic and powerful. It's getting right to Rey's and the audience's expectation that she's going to spend all her time hunted by "a creature in a mask", aka a straight Vader clone. The OT waited till the end to reveal the monster, but KR shows is right away he's a real boy! And as mentioned above it's also needed for the scene that follows when Rey pwns his rear end with her mind, and even after that when he goes and cries to Daddy Snoke about it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
This was helpful

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

morestuff posted:

This was helpful

Yeah I laughed at those.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nice, the "Great Scourge of Malachor" in the blurb about Kylo's lightsaber is Revan. Nice little acknowledgment of the mask.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Hah, one of the Resistance pilots' flight maneuvers is called the 'Porkins Belly Run.' I'm guessing the 'Antilles Intercept' is based on Wedge's head-on attack to save Luke during the Battle of Yavin. Also interesting to note that FreiTek is mentioned, which was the company founded by the Incom defectors that designed the first X-Wing.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 22, 2015

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:aaa: That Sullustan X-Wing pilot was/is loving Nien Goddamn Numb!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Not really any dumber than the Thach Weave of Pugachev's Cobra. So many little inside jokes on those pages.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Basically this book is my poo poo, and I need to get it ASAP.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Probably got himself busted down to lieutenant so he could go on the mission... by finally kissing his forbidden love, General Calrissian. :allears:

I'm waiting for the novelization.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

AndyElusive posted:

When I saw Nien Nunb's name in the credits I was like :haw:

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Most of her skillset has to do with spending literally most of her life scavanging for parts on a lovely planet. The things that don't (i.e: piloting and using the force) are also things that every other novice Jedi we've seen has also shown natural talent for. Luke is a super-ace pilot despite never doing anything more complex than flying lovely bush fighters and Anakin "Spinning is a Good Trick" Skywalker wins an intense race using his own home-build shitpile followed shortly thereafter by blowing up a space station at the age of 9.

"When she wasn't around people were talking about her" is an odd comment because the only time she isn't around is when she's kidnapped and at that point nobody really focuses on her but Finn.

I have to believe people are only throwing the Mary Sue term around because of sexism.

Luke is totally a Gary Stu, just like protagonists in almost all other Hero's Journey media featuring a young man called off to adventure. Hypercompetent men are everywhere in popular media but no one cares sine it's the status quo.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Arglebargle III posted:

Jesus star wars fan really do hate star wars. Even a nigh-remake of the original gets rabid criticism. Watch some fans demand more than half of the film franchise expunged.

It's because one protagonist is black and the other is a woman.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Noam Chomsky posted:

I have to believe people are only throwing the Mary Sue term around because of sexism.

Luke is totally a Gary Stu, just like protagonists in almost all other Hero's Journey media featuring a young man called off to adventure. Hypercompetent men are everywhere in popular media but no one cares sine it's the status quo.

This is the answer, especially in the specific context of a Star Wars movie with a Star Wars protagonist.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Actually it doesn't have to be sexism at all. If Finn has the awesome jedi skillz I'd say the same thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

Actually it doesn't have to be sexism at all. If Finn has the awesome jedi skillz I'd say the same thing.

So I assume you were unhappy with Luke Skywalker and Anakin Skywalker.

Actually Leia too. She's a crack shot and military leader and also a senator despite being a teenager. Her mother too for that matter.

Han Solo of course also. He's an absurdly good shot, the best pilot around, apparently a gifted mechanic who can trick out his ship, basically he's good at everything but delivering smuggled cargo on time.

Poe is, of course, also one because he is an absurdly talented pilot who performs tricks that put Luke Skywalker to shame despite not being a Jedi and is beloved by everyone he meets.

Rey's 'awesome Jedi skills' are literally all things we saw Luke doing prior to training except the Mind Trick which is a low-class trick with a like 50% success rate that she only learned because the villain tried to use it on her,

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ImpAtom posted:

Rey's 'awesome Jedi skills' are literally all things we saw Luke doing prior to training except the Mind Trick which is a low-class trick with a like 50% success rate that she only learned because the villain tried to use it on her,

in my headcanon, she did that because the legends she heard as a kid about jedi said they could do the mind trick, and she just did it to see if it would work. fairy tales are real now, might as well see if abrakadabra works

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Davros1 posted:

They should have waited for Ren to take off his mask. Instead of doing it before Rey, it probably would have been a more powerful moment if the first time we saw his face is when his father asked him to remove it.

They wanted to spend more time humanizing Ren early on than with Darth Vader. Vader was already at the top of his game in A New Hope while Ren is still growing and learning.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

She was immediately awesome at everything she did, and when she wasn't around everyone was talking about her. That is Mary Sue.

Wow... Rey is like the complete opposite of a Mary Sue, lmao.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arglebargle III posted:

Jesus star wars fan really do hate star wars. Even a nigh-remake of the original gets rabid criticism. Watch some fans demand more than half of the film franchise expunged.

The most common complaint I've heard from fans and admirers is that it's too much like the originals, but without the X, where X can be gravitas, stakes, likable characters, believability, and so on. As they see it, TFA is an imperfect copy that's so close to the originals that the "flaws" stand out more than they would in a less faithful replica. Regardless of the specific flaws that are pointed to, the "Star Wars magic" is missing. (You can see the flip side when people say "the Star Wars magic is back".) I think this isn't a useful way to look at the film -- for one, it's not a remake or imitation in any meaningful sense -- and points to a misunderstanding of why the original trilogy is great, and more generally why we enjoy great films.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

teagone posted:

Wow... Rey is like the complete opposite of a Mary Sue, lmao.

I don't think she's a Mary Sue, but why would you call her "the complete opposite" of one?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

I know people hate when movies spoonfeed them information but I can see why they do it, given this whole "Rey is too good at being a Jedi" thing.

Rey learns the mind trick from turning Ren's mind reading trick back on him and clearly reads his fears that he will never be as strong as Vader. We can infer that she managed to extract a few other bits and pieces of information, like a few things about the force.

We can infer that Rey is a competent melee fighter due to her carting around a bo staff and obviously being able to take care of herself on a semi-hostile desert planet.

Ren just killed his dad, was wounded by a bowcaster bolt, just got done fighting Finn, and was holding back since he was instructed by his master to bring Rey to him. All of this led to the final fight going down the way it did.

None of this is out of step with anything that happens in the previous films.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
"Accusing finger" cannot be a real thing.

Just as anyone insinuating that Rey is not the most dyed in the wool Star Wars protagonist to ever go to war in stars can't be a real thing.

Edit: I haven't finished Aftermath yet but woah the cop from Heroes is Temmin!

zelah fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 22, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Actually, Rey's clothes are not dyed.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

The most common complaint I've heard from fans and admirers is that it's too much like the originals, but without the X, where X can be gravitas, stakes, likable characters, believability, and so on. As they see it, TFA is an imperfect copy that's so close to the originals that the "flaws" stand out more than they would in a less faithful replica.

This isn't really related to the conversation at hand, but how would you describe the phenomenon where a film fails to line or live up to the version generated in one's mind through praise by other individuals and culture as a whole? I enjoy the OT, but it doesn't live up the cultural ideal of Star Wars as the perfect adventure story, each character an instantly enrapturing, quintessential example of their type, embroiled in unforgettable action. Similar to what you described, I think the flaws stick out more because when watching them, I can't help but be constantly seeking the flawless movies I've been told they (or at least one or two) are.

I experienced something similar when I viewed the Mad Max films, and funnily enough, Fury Road ended up exactly matching my initial envisioning of the franchise based on cultural descriptions of and references to The Road Warrior.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 22, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ammanas posted:

Shouldn't there be a general moratorium on using anything from the prequels as evidence or story-justification? Ya something happened in the PT hey the PT is loving reviled if you saw it over the age of 12

This is stupid. "Lots of people don't like these movies which completely invalidates anything to do with them in any context, they are un-films".

There are a lot of movies I don't like but I can't imagine disliking a movie so much that I can't stand to have it referenced or to discuss any aspect of it. That's the part of SW fandom that just utterly baffles me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

zelah posted:

"Accusing finger" cannot be a real thing.

The Visual Dictionaries always have silly stuff like that in them.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Motto posted:

I don't think she's a Mary Sue, but why would you call her "the complete opposite" of one?

She was abandoned on a desolate planet as a child and is basically homeless with no family up until the events of this film, so she better be good and proficient at the things she does throughout the movie... those things centering around SURVIVAL. She's not unnaturally/unrealistically talented; a lot of what she does is rooted in the foundation of her character that we learn as the film progresses.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Motto posted:

This isn't really related to the conversation at hand, but how would you describe the phenomenon where a film fails to line or live up to the version generated in one's mind through praise by other individuals and culture as a whole? I enjoy the OT, but it doesn't live up the cultural ideal of Star Wars as the perfect adventure story, each character an instantly enrapturing, quintessential example of their type, embroiled in unforgettable action. Similar to what you described, I think the flaws stick out more because when watching them, I can't help but be constantly seeking the flawless movies I've been told they (or at least one or two) are.

I experienced something similar when I viewed the Mad Max films, and funnily enough, Fury Road ended up exactly matching my initial envisioning of the franchise based on cultural descriptions of and references to The Road Warrior.

It's called nostalgia.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

The Attack of the Clones guide said that Padme had hair designed for "travel" and "action."

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Didn't the Revenge of the Sith Visual Dictionary label Palpatine's "kind smile that instills trust" or something like that?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This got brought up in GenChat but Rey is nowhere near a Mary Sue. It can be argued the term really shouldn't apply to non-fanfic characters at all.

In terms of Jedi poo poo, Rey comes off as, well, someone with a lot of raw, unrefined power. She has to work on it a little, needs a few tries with getting the stormtrooper to free her, and she bests an also-not-very-well-trained bad guy in saber combat.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Noam Chomsky posted:

It's called nostalgia.

Based on a few posts I read about how the action genre has changed over time, I guess yeah, it'd come down to that and a generational gap.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

People might think that she's a Mary Sue because she's a millennial who gets a job offer.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

People might think that she's a Mary Sue because she's a millennial who gets a job offer.

lmao

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Motto posted:

That's a phenomenon based entirely on your personal tastes, experiences, attitudes, and expectations, for both examples you give.

The important thing is to first understand why the films are considered great by critics and audiences, and then understand why you agree or disagree.

Motto posted:

Based on a few posts I read about how the action genre has changed over time, I guess yeah, it'd come down to that and a generational gap.
Genre conventions are a way of managing expectations, and "generational gap" is just shorthand for differences in everything I mentioned above between you and the original audience.

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 22, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

in my refined, professional opinion, star wars is bad

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

It's true that is the most unrealistic part of the film by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Rey's background has her having to understand how to dismantle Imperial and Rebel ships to literally be able to eat. Further, the better the thing she gets, the more food she gets. She has had a hardcore life or death apprenticeship into Imperial/Rebel mechanics. Further, the Force is best learnt in practice than by training. By having someone try to read her mind she would naturally try to fight against it. The surprise to both Rey and Kylo is that it actually works. She gains insight into the force by naturally trying to resist Kylo and the going ons show she is very powerful at the Force. I have to admit she is a bit TOO good a pilot - but, again, the series has shown that the act of piloting actually attunes you into the Force and Force users tend to be excellent pilots.

Bongo Bill posted:

Oh poo poo. Yeah, I can't explain that.

• Locked thread