Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Joementum posted:

Best Michael Moore movie is Canadian Bacon and it's not even close.

One of my most conservative friends loves that movie. When I told him that Michael Moore made that movie, it made him question a poo poo ton about what he thought of Michael Moore. Luckily for him, he decided the broken clock theory worked for that pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Don't talk politics and enjoy one of the fleeting Christmases where your parents still are lucid people. You only get a finite amount.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Don't talk politics and enjoy one of the fleeting Christmases where your parents still are lucid people. You only get a finite amount.

I didn't bring it up. Also if our non politics relationship was good that'd be an easy way to get out of uncomfortable conversations but it's basically all varying degrees of poo poo. Point taken though.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Debate rating are out and they're...7.85 million?! :eyepop:

For comparison's sake, the most watched primary debate in 2012 had 7.63 million viewers, and the most watched primary debate in 2008 had 10.8 million viewers. 7.85m seems pretty good considering the scheduling and the whole Hillary's Coronation meme.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Lol nobody indicted for Sandra Bland's death

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Radbot posted:

Lol nobody indicted for Sandra Bland's death

Gorsh guess it was no one's fault really :iiam:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'd love to, but when they start talking about "the Mexicans", "those people from Chicago", and "the Muslims" I get real itchy.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Bullfrog posted:

Ah, the great tradition of American conservative "humor".

I wonder if good comedians/writers ever tried to make legit funny "conservative" humor out of either a sense of pity or for the challenge of it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

HisMajestyBOB posted:

USPOL Jan: "There’s a 90 percent chance of dicks tonight and a 90 percent chance of dicks tomorrow."

You beat me to it.

But, have some good news: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...tests/77417410/

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

HisMajestyBOB posted:

USPOL Jan: "There’s a 90 percent chance of dicks tonight and a 90 percent chance of dicks tomorrow."

USPOL Jan: The season of dicks

Also, whoever said DNC insiders are politically aware hasn't had to deal with many DNC insiders.

Political parties in America: Coordinated, well funded, good

Pick two.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Republicans posted:

I wonder if good comedians/writers ever tried to make legit funny "conservative" humor out of either a sense of pity or for the challenge of it.

Yes, Minister is a Thatcherite screed and consistently funny.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Republicans posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boLAQqEC_jU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Today I learned that I cannot tell Tina Fey and Sarah Palin apart. I still don't know if Fey agreed to be in a faux-mercial parodying her own show. The presence of John McCain makes me doubt it, but I just don't know.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

smg77 posted:

If people like Sanders really wanted to start a revolution they would be organizing groups to elect like-minded people for state legislatures, governorships, city councils, etc. in every election.

They do. Not Sanders specifically, but third parties are active in one way or another just about everywhere in this country. The problem is that there's really no mechanism for small parties to turn whatever paltry local successes they can achieve into a national movement. You can't just magic up the infrastructure required to win control of state-level or even city level positions. If you could, we wouldn't be facing a future filled with indefinite GOP control of so many governorships and state legislatures. And you can't seriously expect tiny political organizations to play some absurd long game where somehow winning a few selectmen positions translates into the presidency a hundred years in the future.

Working from within the parties through the primary system is exactly the right thing to do. You don't have to be a serious candidate to have an impact.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Joementum posted:

Yes, Minister is a Thatcherite screed and consistently funny.

Stop giving British examples, that's cheating. :colbert:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Joementum posted:

Whitewater, Travelgate, Filegate, Chinagate, Benghazi, Emailghazi, Speechgate, the Clinton Foundation, the Lincoln Bedroom, Vince Foster, Ron Brown, Webster Hubbel, Monica Lewinski, Paula Jones, Gennifer Flowers, Juanita Broddrick, the Mena Airport, stealing all the "W" keys....

That's just off the top of my head. There's at least another dozen affairs and suspicious deaths each.

Toiletgate!

quote:

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. -- Donald Trump used vulgar language as he attacked Hillary Clinton during a rally on Monday night, saying her use of the restroom at the last Democratic debate was "too disgusting" to talk about and that in 2008 she got "schlonged" by Barack Obama when he defeated her in the Democratic primary.

Standing before a crowd of 7,500, Trump recounted how Clinton was seconds late to the Democratic debate stage on Saturday night following a commercial break. Trump asked the crowd four times where Clinton had gone.

"I know where she went -- it's disgusting, I don't want to talk about it," Trump said, screwing up his face, as the crowd laughed and cheered. "No, it's too disgusting. Don't say it, it's disgusting."

Later in the night, Trump told the crowd that he could not picture Clinton as president because she never wins at anything. He then brought up the 2008 Democratic primary, which Clinton lost to Barack Obama.

"She was favored to win, and she got schlonged," Trump said, turning a vulgar noun for a large penis into a verb.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i wish i knew 80s and 90s british politics and royalty because this show seems absolutely incredible

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Abel Wingnut posted:

i wish i knew 80s and 90s british politics and royalty because this show seems absolutely incredible

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0MSScBIopM8

How about some Malcolm Tucker? He's the british version of Rahm Emanuel, if Obama had listened to Emanuel rather than backstabbing hizzoner by calling up his buds in the Senate and listening to them.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://www.wowktv.com/story/30802377/food-program-adds-requirements-in-9-west-virginia-counties

9 counties in West Virginia are adding requirements to SNAP that you must work or be in school 20 hours per week or you lose your benefits. Sorry, unemployed in West loving Virginia, you get to starve.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

If he wins the primary, the gender gap might become the gender gulf.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I used to often ask whether a politician really believed in their positions or was just pandering to people who do, but recently I'm thinking that that is an unproductive question. The result is the same either way.

Well the thing is you're asking someone if they're lying - them saying "no" doesn't really tell you anything unless you think they're less likely to lie to you than you think/thought they are/were likely to lie to constituents.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Also, whoever said DNC insiders are politically aware hasn't had to deal with many DNC insiders.

Alternatively, they're politically aware and cynical enough to put their own interests ahead of the best interests of the Party.

Plenty of people in that position would see moving from "DNC insider" to "Hillary owes me a big favor" as being worth slightly reducing the odds of Hillary winning. If they thought they could buy credibility within the Clinton organization for the low, low price of making the GOP 1% more likely to win, I bet quite a few people would take that bet.

Joementum posted:

I suspect quite a few would support Cruz over Trump in a primary (but would prefer literally anyone else if possible) because they believe Cruz will inevitably fail in the general election and they'd love to see him get kicked, with the added benefit of purging some of the argument that they need to nominate "true conservatives".

Plus they get to say they were the first major Party to nominate a Hispanic for President. Sure, half of his rallies featured crowds demanding we put brown people in camps, but tokenism!!!

greatn posted:

Yeah doesn't Trump actually have a really solid ground organization and more staffers in Iowa than anyone? Why would he not be able to gotv?

Some voters are harder to GOTV. Especially when you're talking about a caucus system, where the voting is some random Monday night and there's no absentee and it's not at their usual polling place.

computer parts posted:

This is kind of a corollary to the gambler's fallacy. You think that because something unlikely happens, we can't trust probability any longer.

This isn't a fallacy. It's not a mistrust of probability, it's a mistrust of the axioms which lead to us assigning that probability. Unless the rest of the Republican field literally dies before the Iowa primary, Trump getting nominated rather severely undermines a lot of the perceived rules of the game. In that sort of a scenario, probabilities which depend on the now-defunct rules aren't worth a whole lot.

Everyone's spent the last 6 months saying there's no way Donald Trump gets the nomination because that violates everything we know about politics and how to be a successful politician. Six months from now, if I hear folks saying that there's no way Republican-nominee Donal Trump wins the White House because that violates everything we know about politics and how to be a successful politician, then I'm going to take that with a pillar of salt.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I could be completely wrong on this, but I think that when people say a brokered convention is impossible given contemporary primary rules, it remains unsaid that any close dispute between two candidates is settled over the rules votes. The nomination process itself doesn't go past the first ballot because any "test of strength" is going to happen in the voting process that happens before the nominations, when all the delegates are still unpledged.

Some people saying brokered conventions are impossible mean rather that if one happened, it wouldn't be brokered because there are no brokers. In days past, state delegations were made up of folks with patronage jobs, further political aspirations, and other similarly pliable folks. They were there because some machine politician rigged[1] the delegate election, and they'd more or less vote in a block either because they owed their Chair (or other patron) favors, or because their futures were on the line.

Now the delegations are made up of volunteer activists loyal to a particular candidate. These activists may or may not respect their state party chair, but they certainly don't owe them much. I have an instinctual dislike for my state GOP party chair, but I certainly don't envy him the job of trying to flip delegates voting for Trump/Cruz/whoever to Rubio/Bush/whoever in a convention. Back in the Good Ole Days, the state party chair could threaten your job, or your seat on the state committee, or your ability to fundraise for state legislature. But none of that means gently caress-all to the random Tea Party Soccer Dad who got to be delegate this time - he works a nonpolitical job or is retired, he's already openly hostile to half the state committee, and he's probably not planning to run for office.

[1] - I don't necessarily mean ballot stuffing, but there's usually a lot of ways to ratfuck this kind of stuff legally if you write the rules.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Luigi Thirty posted:

http://www.wowktv.com/story/30802377/food-program-adds-requirements-in-9-west-virginia-counties

9 counties in West Virginia are adding requirements to SNAP that you must work or be in school 20 hours per week or you lose your benefits. Sorry, unemployed in West loving Virginia, you get to starve.

What if you're doing national service, Luigi? Is serving America considered work to the West Virginia legislature?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jackson Taus posted:

If he wins the primary, the gender gap might become the gender gulf.

Well the thing is you're asking someone if they're lying - them saying "no" doesn't really tell you anything unless you think they're less likely to lie to you than you think/thought they are/were likely to lie to constituents.

Alternatively, they're politically aware and cynical enough to put their own interests ahead of the best interests of the Party.

Plenty of people in that position would see moving from "DNC insider" to "Hillary owes me a big favor" as being worth slightly reducing the odds of Hillary winning. If they thought they could buy credibility within the Clinton organization for the low, low price of making the GOP 1% more likely to win, I bet quite a few people would take that bet.

Plus they get to say they were the first major Party to nominate a Hispanic for President. Sure, half of his rallies featured crowds demanding we put brown people in camps, but tokenism!!!

Some voters are harder to GOTV. Especially when you're talking about a caucus system, where the voting is some random Monday night and there's no absentee and it's not at their usual polling place.

This isn't a fallacy. It's not a mistrust of probability, it's a mistrust of the axioms which lead to us assigning that probability. Unless the rest of the Republican field literally dies before the Iowa primary, Trump getting nominated rather severely undermines a lot of the perceived rules of the game. In that sort of a scenario, probabilities which depend on the now-defunct rules aren't worth a whole lot.

Everyone's spent the last 6 months saying there's no way Donald Trump gets the nomination because that violates everything we know about politics and how to be a successful politician. Six months from now, if I hear folks saying that there's no way Republican-nominee Donal Trump wins the White House because that violates everything we know about politics and how to be a successful politician, then I'm going to take that with a pillar of salt.

Some people saying brokered conventions are impossible mean rather that if one happened, it wouldn't be brokered because there are no brokers. In days past, state delegations were made up of folks with patronage jobs, further political aspirations, and other similarly pliable folks. They were there because some machine politician rigged[1] the delegate election, and they'd more or less vote in a block either because they owed their Chair (or other patron) favors, or because their futures were on the line.

Now the delegations are made up of volunteer activists loyal to a particular candidate. These activists may or may not respect their state party chair, but they certainly don't owe them much. I have an instinctual dislike for my state GOP party chair, but I certainly don't envy him the job of trying to flip delegates voting for Trump/Cruz/whoever to Rubio/Bush/whoever in a convention. Back in the Good Ole Days, the state party chair could threaten your job, or your seat on the state committee, or your ability to fundraise for state legislature. But none of that means gently caress-all to the random Tea Party Soccer Dad who got to be delegate this time - he works a nonpolitical job or is retired, he's already openly hostile to half the state committee, and he's probably not planning to run for office.

[1] - I don't necessarily mean ballot stuffing, but there's usually a lot of ways to ratfuck this kind of stuff legally if you write the rules.

1% in a national Presidential election is worth $40 million, Jackson Taus. When will DNC realize its more efficient to pay individuals more, than it is to waste $39 million on chasing after the 1%?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Is he insinuating something more than a toilet break or is he just appalled that women pee?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Anosmoman posted:

Is he insinuating something more than a toilet break or is he just appalled that women pee?

I think he thinks she's the first person to take a piss during a commercial break in a debate, or at least he's pretending to.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Anosmoman posted:

I think it's the latter. Ew, girlpee.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Anosmoman posted:

Trump is a man with a "yooooogggeeeeee" bladder. He does not see why America should elect a President who would pull a Merkel and pee her pants if a meeting with Putin were to go long.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

My Imaginary GF posted:

Trump is a man with a "yooooogggeeeeee" bladder. He does not see why America should elect a President who would pull a Merkel and pee her pants if a meeting with Putin were to go long.

And that is why Trumpo is not person of the year. The true test of someone's character is if they can pee themselves or not, and Trump failed that test miserably. For shame man :colbert:.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Obama says a lot of things I agree with and one or two I'm iffy about : http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/22/us/politics/president-obama-accuses-donald-trump-of-exploiting-working-class-fears.html

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Well, my longstanding promise to myself to vote for the first presidential candidate that uses the term "schlong" in a sentence has backfired horribly

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

SgtScruffy posted:

Well, my longstanding promise to myself to vote for the first presidential candidate that uses the term "schlong" in a sentence has backfired horribly

You expected something a little more, shall we say, dignified, peut-etre?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

fishmech posted:

If she's so hated and considered incompetent outside of Internet whinefests, why is she still in power? Oh wait, it's because she isn't incompetent in the least.

Obama wanted to replace her but she threatened to go nuclear and call him a sexist anti semite.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

quote:

“If you are referring to specific strains in the Republican Party that suggest that somehow I’m different, I’m Muslim, I’m disloyal to the country, etc. — which unfortunately is pretty far out there, and gets some traction in certain pockets of the Republican Party, and that have been articulated by some of their elected officials — what I’d say there is that that’s probably pretty specific to me, and who I am and my background,” Mr. Obama told Steve Inskeep

"My unpopularity is because of this racist lie which is the Republucans' fault even though the Hillary camp conceived and spread it, not because I flubbed Syria, refuse to take ISIS seriously, presided over a decrease in the adjusted median income..."

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Yeah if it wasn't for Hillary then the GOP wouldn't have been racist towards Obama

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah he refuses to take ISIS seriously that's why they've lost 40% of their land in the last couple months and they're leaders have been killed multiple times.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Any losses ISIS sustains between now and, oh early 2017 I guess, will be attributable directly to Vladimir Putin. Like, him personally.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
The quote was in response to:

quote:

He also described his view of the anxiety on which Mr. Trump has capitalized, arguing that some voters who voice fears about his presidency and doubts about where Mr. Obama’s loyalties lie are reacting to the fact that he is the first black president.

Not sure why you all continue to fall for these shenanigans.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 22, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.wdio.com/article/stories/S3998644.shtml?cat=10335

quote:

Five Superior City Councilors are calling on Mayor Bruce Hagen to retract a Facebook comment referring to President Barack Obama as a Muslim who has "destroyed the fabric of democracy."

Hagen's full comment, which was posted in response to a photo of First Lady Michelle Obama, reads "Unbelievable! She and her Muslim partner have destroyed the fabric of democracy that was so very hard fought for!"

Hagen told Eyewitness News he made the comment in response to something that a friend said, but declined to elaborate. He said he stands by the statement and said it was an expression of free speech.

"No, I don't understand how public comments made by an elected official might be potentially damaging to the city/town being represented. Why do you ask?"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

TheDisreputableDog posted:

"My unpopularity is because of this racist lie which is the Republucans' fault even though the Hillary camp conceived and spread it, not because I flubbed Syria, refuse to take ISIS seriously, presided over a decrease in the adjusted median income..."

I too remember how the GOP was a big fan of Obama and never once tried to sabotage literally everything he's tried to accomplish until about a year ago when suddenly they developed serious reservations about his foreign policy based solely on his perceived failures to respond to the ongoing Syrian Civil War (because heaven knows they'd not hulked the gently caress out over anything else he did or didn't do prior to that point).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"Democracy" is slowly starting to join the group of words like "family" and "freedom" where they used to be positive but now if you hear someone saying them you know they are scumbags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

TheDisreputableDog posted:

How should he have handled Syria differently?

• Locked thread