Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

Lockback posted:

The rookie year where you deal with the Spike Lee Story is only like 12 games and you can just hit start to skip stuff. That kinda sucks, but you also hit Free Agency after your first year for some reason, which is kinda cool. I mostly play the league-modes, so I am only in my 2nd year, but do you hit free agency after every year?

Also, as mentioned, off-days are way cooler this year. And you don't do the stupid press conferences after every game, only now and then.

You hit free agency, because your owner doesn't like how you stuck up for your childhood friend throughout your first year. Terminates your contract with a clause(which I cannot remember)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
It's the young athletic inner city prospect clause which lets any white owner gently caress your poo poo up if he doesn't like one of your friends.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

hopterque posted:

It's the young athletic inner city prospect clause which lets any white owner gently caress your poo poo up if he doesn't like one of your friends.

Spike Lee has an SA account.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Ashekaban posted:

You hit free agency, because your owner doesn't like how you stuck up for your childhood friend throughout your first year. Terminates your contract with a clause(which I cannot remember)

I skipped through the story so that is ridiculous. The team I just left was like the 2nd or 3rd highest bid for me though.

My Funny Moment: I got drafted by the Toronto Raptors and the first time I met the owner he screamed "THIS IS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" overlooking the Canadian Flag which sorta worked with his batshit crazy persona.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The MyCareer stuff is pretty silly, but nothing beats playing shuffleboard with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I only started playing mypark a few days ago, did they change the way levelling up works? I can't get past the first shirt rep. I thought it was all teammate grade based but then it takes away from the slider even though I got a B+ or whatever.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Eep, playing the MyCareer mode and the difficulty jump from HD to College is enormous. I'd say I've gone to big man on campus to the last guy on the bench.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
I didn't find the jump to college that big. High School your meant to the the king of the court and dominate. College was harder especially with the tiny quarters/halves so your end game stat sheet was garbage. The jump was going from being mj to being a starter on a below par nba team.

When you first hit the NBA you ate the worst player in the league tho which is so dumb when you've been touted as a future nba star since high school.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Copper For Lyfe posted:

I didn't find the jump to college that big. High School your meant to the the king of the court and dominate. College was harder especially with the tiny quarters/halves so your end game stat sheet was garbage. The jump was going from being mj to being a starter on a below par nba team.

When you first hit the NBA you ate the worst player in the league tho which is so dumb when you've been touted as a future nba star since high school.

It is nice to get your own shoe after being picked 20th by the Raptors and averaging 4 PPG :v:

EDIT: Stuck with the Raptors after the story ended. got 10 points, 12 boards, and 5 assists. Feels nice to beat the Pacers. I'm surprised the splash screen for Paul George doesn't have his weakness as: "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA" - dude's a nightmare to face, he does everything nearly perfectl,. Maybe in a patch or something they'll change his weakness to that stream of laughter or "has a first name as a last name" or something.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 11, 2015

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
lucky to notice this in real time:

quote:

Chris Manning @LD2K
The new limited Steph Curry Dynamic Rating #LockerCodes will be dropped at 6:30PST (about 10 minutes) on @NBA2K. Good luck everyone.

opened NBA2K to the locker code entry screen on one monitor, TweetDeck with a column for @NBA2K @LD2K and @Ronnie2k on the other monitor

:sotw:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Congrats

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Christ, gently caress this game.

After dominating the Pacers for 3 and a half quarters they make 15-4 run at the end (while I sat on the bench) to tie game with 9 seconds left and Paul George gets the ball. He drives into the paint where I meet him and block his shot. The ball immediately falls into the hands of some no-name randomly generated scrub who attempts a shot. Blocked. He collects it AGAIN and wins the loving game with no time left.

The worst is that after winning the finals last year despite being ranked 10th in the league, our brilliant GM made some trades and basically got rid of most of our bench. Our new ranking? 17th. I'm done.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
So, Lockback linked me here from the video game deals thread after I apparently made the horrendous decision of buying NBA Live 16 for $25. I don't get Live until it arrives in the mail tomorrow afternoon so I still have a chance to take it back to Best Buy if I choose to, and I went to Redbox and rented 2K16 on my lunch break to play until 9PM tomorrow. As such, after reading Live vs. 2K articles, reading reviews on Amazon, and watching YouTube videos, I decided to play them both back-to-back later today using the patched NBA Live 16 trial I tried out before buying a copy.

A brief history: I usually like more arcade-like sports games, but am drawn to the "official" NBA and NHL games (I cannot stand Madden). I have fond memories of EA's basketball games going all the way back to Bulls vs Lakers and the NBA Playoffs on the Genesis and NBA Showtime on the SNES. I also had NBA2K on the Dreamcast but don't remember much of it.The last one I put serious time into was NBA Live 2001 on the PC which shows how much of a "casual" sports fan I am, but I had fun with it. Playing the demo to NBA Live 16 re-kindled a little bit of that and now I'm looking to add some new b-ball to my Xbox library.

I get that 99% of people here think that NBA Live is a dumpster fire from the seventh circle of Hell that's also covered in AIDS and poo poo, but my decision will come down to which game feels more fun. Besides the animations, presentation, game modes, and online play, what are the differences I should pay attention to? Lack of foul calls? Post game play? Aggressiveness of the AI? Classic teams? If I can play as the '85 Celtics or, at least, Larry Bird, in either game, that would be a bonus.

Edit: Some interesting accounts here I've been reading, especially this one, though I don't know how credible it is:

quote:

SchoolOfCheech: I don't know what happened at EA as a whole but, I have some insight in what happened with NBA Live/Elite after working there and talking to some people. If that's what you're asking.

[–]MiamiFootball: Yea that's exactly what I mean. For 10 years they were making a great game and then all of a sudden they fell apart.

[–]SchoolOfCheech: Here's what I've heard.

In the early 2000s, NBA Live and NBA 2k were both pretty good. They both consistently put up metacritic scores in the 80s. As the decade progressed, NBA Live dropped to the low 60s in NBA Live 07 while 2k stayed consistent.

I think in 2008 NBA Live hired Mike Wang from 2k. Wang was a gameplay designer for 2k and was put in charge of gameplay for Live. The people who worked with Wang during this time period spoke very highly of him. Knew the game, organized his work well, great vision, had a good long term plan, etc.

NBA Live 10 came out and scored just as well as 2k10. Not only did Live improve but, they were competing with 2k again.

At this point, EA decided to put a producer from NHL to be the executive producer of NBA Live. I'm guessing, they thought the success of NHL could carry over to NBA Live.

The new producer rebranded the game from Live to Elite. Wanted to change the control scheme because "it worked on NHL". There were also numerous changes to the engine that took place.

A lot of the veterans working there didn't like the changes taking place and distanced themselves from the product. Mike Wang supposedly ended up leaving because of the changes.

The infamous Elite demo is released and the game is cancelled 6 weeks later.

After the game was cancelled, EA took the NBA series away from the studio in Vancouver and gave it to Tiburon, who makes Madden.

Now, you have to build a new team to work on NBA Live. This new team has to look through the old code and figure everything out, the new generation of consoles is about to be released soon, so there are some new challenges, new procedures and organizational protocols have to be instituted.

While this is all happening, 2k is still chugging away, making a good game and adding on to it every year.

That's why there's a pretty big gap between the two. Hopefully, this answered your question.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 18, 2015

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'll give you a hint as to how bad NBA Live 16 is: according to sales figures, it sold less than 1% of NBA 2k16's sales. Or, roughly, 8,300 copies in North America. Live is not the right decision in any circumstance.

But straight up, relocation and team creation in 2K is the best I've ever seen, once you get by the horrible story in MyPlayer it's the best be-a-player game out there, and it has a whole host of sliders that will allow you to make the game however you drat well please.

Live is poo poo. It's not even an opinion, it's an outright fact. If you want a game that will continue to be supported, there's really no choice.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
You know what sucks about the new "get more points if you beat the Warriors with the Timberwolves or whatever" thing in online play? Every time I actually do manage to beat a good team with a lovely team, said team quits before it's over and I don't get the bonus. Every, single, time. Bunch of loving babies.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I finally started to play this tonight and the a button stopped passing midway through the first game. I tried to load a new game but A still wouldn't pass. Is there an easy way to change it back?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I haven't played in like a couple months, wow they nerfed the poo poo out of the spin move. It's so useless now to the point of it shoudnt exist.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Spacebump posted:

I finally started to play this tonight and the a button stopped passing midway through the first game. I tried to load a new game but A still wouldn't pass. Is there an easy way to change it back?

What platform? If it's PC what are you using for a controller?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I have a dumb question about roster updates since I usually don't play sports games on release: as the roster updates happen, do they overwrite the player skills for the start of new seasons, too? If player x's shot is off this season or they're just not moving the ball they way they did last year but they're normally pretty good at these things, how bad would that hurt their ratings normally?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lockback posted:

What platform? If it's PC what are you using for a controller?

Xbox, the controls went back to normal when I played again today. Weird bug.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

tadashi posted:

I have a dumb question about roster updates since I usually don't play sports games on release: as the roster updates happen, do they overwrite the player skills for the start of new seasons, too? If player x's shot is off this season or they're just not moving the ball they way they did last year but they're normally pretty good at these things, how bad would that hurt their ratings normally?
It depends, but if you're that concerned about specific guys just edit their stats before you start your season, then use that edited roster.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I am making a new MyCareer, and you can really tell Spike was just pulling this out of his rear end as he filmed it

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Finally outplayed Chandler Parsons in MyCareer!

Now to finally outplay the following:

1) The whole Utah Jazz team
2) Paul George
3) The high flying circus act of Danilo Gallinari/Jusuf Nurkic/Joffrey Lauvergne

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
So, to update my previous post: After spending a few hours with both Live 16 and 2K16, I've decided to go with Live.

2K16 seemed like the perfect basketball game on the surface to me. It has a better soundtrack than Live, more game modes than Live, slightly better graphics and player animations, customization out the wazoo, the ability to play classic and international teams in multiple game modes, etc.

All of these things are peanuts compared to the actual gameplay, however, and this is where 2K fell apart for me. Controls feel stiff and delayed. No matter who I was controlling on the D, the AI would just run circles around me because my player was too slow to retaliate even when "locked" onto them. This was the worst playing 1v1 Blacktop games.

And holy poo poo, the AI. Even on the default difficulty, this is some of the cheesiest, frustrating, and most bullshit AI I've ever seen. I played six exhibition games on Pro difficulty and lost all of them because the opposing team would always find some way to come back in the 4th quarter if they didn't already pull ahead by 10 points. They could run circles around the D and charge the paint un-opposed, land jump shots from anywhere despite being in double coverage, make 3s with impunity, etc. It didn't matter how well or "safe" I played. I know this is an AI problem since I played two online games (All-Star game with the great Bill Russell and one with my create-a-player) and won both with a n A- player rating, so I must be doing something right. The all-star game had a few hiccups here and there that caused the commentary to fall behind in the beginning of the match, but was OK overall.

Live 16, on the other hand, has much better ball handling and smoother controls. If I get juked, I actually have a chance to stop a guy charging the paint instead of him getting a free pass to the basket because my defender got put on skates way too easy. Smart playing is rewarded. The jump shot meter is better. One-button instant replays are cool. The commentary could be a little more varied, but the slick ESPN atheistic makes up for it. Oh, and it actually has interactive training drills that helps noobs like me get a quick handle on the basic controls instead of 2K's three brief tutorial videos that automatically assume you're already a hoop god.

The only thing that bothers me about Live is NBA Points in Ultimate Team. I'm not sure if they're required to buy new players/cards and if you can earn them in-game or not.

And while it has lesser game modes than 2K, what's there is still solid: Live Pro-Am games with flawless netcode, Ultimate Team, Rising Star, Dynasty, Rewind, etc.

Bottom line is while 2K aims for realism and helped me understand why the more hardcore b-ball fans love it, Live is just more fun to play. Nothing 2K does better is worth spending an extra $35 on ($45 for the Jordan Edition) for me personally. Here's hoping both games out-do themselves next year

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Charles Martel posted:

And holy poo poo, the AI. Even on the default difficulty, this is some of the cheesiest, frustrating, and most bullshit AI I've ever seen. I played six exhibition games on Pro difficulty and lost all of them because the opposing team would always find some way to come back in the 4th quarter if they didn't already pull ahead by 10 points. They could run circles around the D and charge the paint un-opposed, land jump shots from anywhere despite being in double coverage, make 3s with impunity, etc. It didn't matter how well or "safe" I played. I know this is an AI problem since I played two online games (All-Star game with the great Bill Russell and one with my create-a-player) and won both with a n A- player rating, so I must be doing something right. The all-star game had a few hiccups here and there that caused the commentary to fall behind in the beginning of the match, but was OK overall.

If you can't even beat the AI on pro I don't know what to tell you, the only really lovely comeback mechanic that I'm aware of is playing mycareer where the game seems to generate phantom points while you're subbed out. For reference, I play on the 2nd hardest difficulty and win about 60-70% of my games. It's actually easier than last year because the AI cheeses a lot less (especially with shots close to the end of the shot clock). Also, comparing it to online play is silly, especially if you're playing a team up mode or whatever where everyone is playing an individual player. Players controlling a player directly are way way easier to exploit because of things like lag and human error and people being just plain bad. The AI doesn't even defend particularly well at all on Pro and is incredibly easy to bully on defense if you don't play like a dummy, and it's still way way way more effective than the average player online (which is why a ton of players play off ball defense online).

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

To me, the main issue I have with the AI is usually in the passing game, and when it wants me to force a turnover. It seems like the AI likes to warp in front of a pass from time to time and poke the ball when I thought I had a good pass. If the AI grabs the pass, that usually means I threw a bad pass, though. When I do make a successful pass and my teammates take a shot, they tend to miss their shot terribly. No wonder everyone bitches at me when I have 1-2 assists :v:

There are times when I feel the game wants me to turn over the ball. It's understandable if I try a dribble move and make contact with the defender, but from time to time the defender will barrel into me, I'll cough up the ball, and not get a foul called.

Mr. Bing
Oct 25, 2004

...Is it still there?
I still can't wrap my head around how to set a legal screen. I watch CPU players leap in from six feet away and set perfect screens every time, while I can get in position, release the stick, press the pick button, and the player I'm trying to pick lunges into me and I get dinged for a foul.

Really the only complaint I have about playing a big man though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Screens are for legal babies, just get in the "way" of the opponent as much as you can because the game can't comprehend an off-ball foul unless it's a botched screen.

On that note, why the hell am I getting double-teamed every single possession? I average like 6 points a game as a PG.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Armitage posted:

To me, the main issue I have with the AI is usually in the passing game, and when it wants me to force a turnover. It seems like the AI likes to warp in front of a pass from time to time and poke the ball when I thought I had a good pass. If the AI grabs the pass, that usually means I threw a bad pass, though. When I do make a successful pass and my teammates take a shot, they tend to miss their shot terribly. No wonder everyone bitches at me when I have 1-2 assists :v:

There are times when I feel the game wants me to turn over the ball. It's understandable if I try a dribble move and make contact with the defender, but from time to time the defender will barrel into me, I'll cough up the ball, and not get a foul called.

Yup. Turn down cpu slider play passing lanes or whatever. Its more realistic.

Im never one to say someone sucks, but if you cant beat a team by at least 20 on pro, put the game down. Unless you are PHI and playing GS, but you should still win.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Tae posted:

Screens are for legal babies, just get in the "way" of the opponent as much as you can because the game can't comprehend an off-ball foul unless it's a botched screen.

On that note, why the hell am I getting double-teamed every single possession? I average like 6 points a game as a PG.

Because you are a young anf unskilled PG who will panic and might throw the ball away and turn it over.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I have 80 passing with dimer

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Tae posted:

I have 80 passing with dimer

Because you can't score well and your only skill is playmaking with the ball so they force the ball out of your hand. :colbert:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Well after the 20th time I dump it to an open LMA, they should've probably adapt at some point :colbert:

Also really annoying that I'm stuck guarding SF/PF/C because Kawhi Leonard is always guarding the PG and somehow Manu is starting over Green. Does NBA Live also do that dumb poo poo where literally only the overall ratings determine who the starter is?

Mr. Bing
Oct 25, 2004

...Is it still there?

Tae posted:

I don't have gold Brick Wall and Screen Outlet badges so I can NOT set picks :colbert:

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Setting picks is easy though? Just make sure you aren't moving the analogue stick and your player's feet are settled before you hold the screen button. Once you get brick wall its hilarious sending little guards sprawling across the court KG-style.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Imagine buying NBA Live post 2001 over the best sports game in the market lol

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the_american_dream posted:

Imagine buying NBA Live post 2001 over the best sports game in the market lol

It sold ~8000 copies.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Man, I should have signed with the Knicks in season two. They become completely ridiculous. No weaknesses whatsoever, unless being perfect on pro is a weakness. Holy moley :psyduck:

Armitage fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 1, 2016

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

RE: Setting screens

I find it helps a lot if your character steps backward into the screen. They will never call (or at least, they have never called me) for the foul if your character is stepping backwards before making contact (obviously stop moving the stick once contact happens). Not ideal or always possible, but I notice it has a really high chance of triggering a knockdown or 'stuck on screen' animation on the screened player. It can sometimes be finicky like anything else in the game but once you learn the situations where you character will consistently step backwards into the screen its really effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

It's also counter-intuitive, but don't go into your screen too far away from the player, it'll cause your guy to try to move up into the screen, and thus be moving. Your better off moving right up to the defender than trying to settle 4 feet away.

Also enjoy NBA Live I guess. Glad your special snowflake sensibilities found a proper match

• Locked thread