Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Adding the old skill numbers back would probably be really hard to do over the existing system. Almost everything about the perks would have to be changed.

What bothers me more than the current system (which works fine gameplay-wise) is the fact that there are no checks for anything except charisma (with the one exception of the USS constitution I've found) but I don't know how you could really fix that problem with a mod. The skill checks were usually used to give you alternate ways to do quests, except there's almost always only one way to finish quests now, so even if you tried to manually put in a bunch of skill checks all over the game, there's not a lot of places you could use them. You could add new perks or rebalance them or whatever, but I don't see a way for mods to make your SPECIAL be a roleplaying decision like it used to be instead of just a gameplay decision. Who knows though, the lengths people have gone to mod this game without even having the GECK are already impressive.

That's why I said ultra-nerd. There are fuckers that managed to tape FO3 and FO:NV into one big game (although I think that's not quite as impressive as it sounds, from what I hear), I'm sure some of them will do a complete game overhaul and manually add stat checks to basically everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Alabaster White posted:

That's why I said ultra-nerd. There are fuckers that managed to tape FO3 and FO:NV into one big game (although I think that's not quite as impressive as it sounds, from what I hear), I'm sure some of them will do a complete game overhaul and manually add stat checks to basically everything.

That would be much nicer than the present all over the place system, on the one hand, charisma helps with speech checks, despite you saying exactly the same thing, but they can be save scummed, on the other hand, no matter how willing you are to jiggle tumblers or randomly poke words, hacking and lockpicking have distinct levels, its a really lazy way of making a game, I'd much prefer to have red herrings in hacking and speech, plus multiple points in lockpicking that turn a little and crunch your hairpin, with the occasional fluke based on luck.
Not to mention arbitrarily locking stuff behind levels,

My Biggest gripe? no wild wasteland.

VVV Dunno, its becoming more and more like the elder robots.
while there are a lot of new engine elements I like, there's so much recycled stuff and lazy design choices, its just a little irksome knowing they are relying on mods to improve the game and add depth.
Still, I've been playing practically non-stop.

staberind fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 21, 2015

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Lockpicking and Hacking in 3 and NV were basically just a 4 tier system as well, only one that you happened to need to put skill points into instead of perks. Of course, they weren't gated behind levels either, so... :shrug:

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.
Is there a mod to add back Strength requirements to weapons? I've found nada on the nexus.

It feels really wrong being able to use a minigun even halfway accurately outside power armour.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
What I want are bows and crossbows. Let me craft arrows and bolts with different abilities. Maybe add a sporting goods store somewhere in Boston with some crazy special crossbow.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I imagine in the early design of the game power generators required gas to keep running, but they scrapped that because of how tedious it probably was to keep the generators filled across settlements.

Only reason I can think why the wind power generator is so huge and expensive and provides as much power as a small generator.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I imagine in the early design of the game power generators required gas to keep running, but they scrapped that because of how tedious it probably was to keep the generators filled across settlements.

Only reason I can think why the wind power generator is so huge and expensive and provides as much power as a small generator.

I suspect that all of the settlement features were watered down so that it remained completely optional. Once you start putting in some serious town management stuff in it, you basically have to keep going back to your settlements.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
The generators rebalance mod is a lifesaver because I'm a :spergin: and having generators that just work forever triggered me so all my settlements have a windmill or two powering them instead.

vvv those fuckers can't even be assed to lay out a bedroll on their own, like gently caress i'd trust them with flammable liquids

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 21, 2015

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Kitfox88 posted:

The generators rebalance mod is a lifesaver because I'm a :spergin: and having generators that just work forever triggered me so all my settlements have a windmill or two powering them instead.

It seems plausible to me your settlers are able to fill the generators.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Well apparently the animation issue with never lowering my weapon in 3rd person was a glitch.

Waited 5 minutes when someone told me weapons auto-lower and nothing. Started a new character to test and it auto-lowers.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

khy posted:

That's definitely a step in the right direction! Does it keep all the mods in separate folders so that the data folder is always kept entirely clean?
No. Rather than any sort of process hooking, NMM creates hard links to all your mod files. So the data folder isn't clean but it's only filled with hard links to the real files stored elsewhere.

Talkie Toaster posted:

Also I made a mod that gives your companions infinite ammo with most weapons, Companion Infinite Ammo.
Excellent. This is just what I've been needing. I never give my companions weapons because I don't want to have to bother managing their ammo usage. I just used them as a distraction to soak up fire.

Now they can both soak up fire and be a bit useful.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I'm rolling with with Settlement Supplies Expanded, Homemaker, and Alternate Settlements. I recognize that this ridiculous, and trying to figure out which one(s) to ax. Which one, or combo, is the best in your guys and gals opinion?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Twincityhacker posted:

I'm rolling with with Settlement Supplies Expanded, Homemaker, and Alternate Settlements. I recognize that this ridiculous, and trying to figure out which one(s) to ax. Which one, or combo, is the best in your guys and gals opinion?

Homemaker fills all my construction needs by itself rather neatly, with Robot Home Defense, OCDecorator and Convenient Stores for taste

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Twincityhacker posted:

As mentioned above, homemaker is the go to. be warned that institute stuff is midgame by dint of the materials it needs. I might unfuck it a little, so the glass walls use glass instead of aluminium.

For the giggles:
code:
Fallout4.esm=1
Homemaker.esm=1
ArmorKeywords.esm=1
Robot Home Defence.esm=1
5% Fusion Core Drain.esp=1
BulkUtilityRecipes.esp=1
Krk_Independant Power Armor Modules.esp=1
Crafting Workbench.esp=1
Krk_independent_pa_craftingworkbench_compatibility.esp=1
Crafting Workbenches - Ammo.esp=1
Crafting Workbenches - Ammo Special.esp=1
Crafting Workbenches - Power Armor.esp=1
Crafting Workbenches - Pre War and Manufactured.esp=1
Jacket.esp=1
Crafting Workbench - Jacket.esp=1
J&C Outfit fix.esp=1
Layerable Apparel.esp=1
Layerable Apparel - Jackets Patch.esp=1
ArmoredNick.esp=1
BetterArmor&WeaponNaming_by_Ruddy88.esp=1
Harness-calyps.esp=1
Home Plate Workbench.esp=1
LegendaryModification.esp=1
LegendaryModification2LM.esp=1
LegendaryModificationCSA.esp=1
LegendaryModificationMisc.esp=1
LegendaryModification2LMRemoveEC.esp=1
LegendaryModificationCSARemoveEC.esp=1
LegendaryModificationMiscReEC.esp=1
LegendaryModificationRemoveEC.esp=1
Safe SSEx.esp=1
Armorsmith Extended.esp=1
Armorsmith-LegendaryClothes-Compat.esp=1
LegendaryCloth.esp=1
WattzGenerators10x.esp=1
BetterCommando.esp=1
C.E.S.D - Default.esp=1
Weaponry Overhaul.esp=1
ShaikujinSettlementAttacked.esp=1
Diane.esp=1
NoNegativeAffinityNoFucks.esp=1
NoAffinityCooldown.esp=1
ProfGood.esp=1
Craftable Vault 81 Cure.esp=1
Disable NPC Comments When Waiting for Player Input.esp=1
CHKJunk.esp=1
Power Armor Frame Rebalaced.esp=1
Craftable Armor Size.esp=1
Detecting Dead Bodies.esp=1
Detecting Dead Bodies - No Addiction.esp=1
Raider Power Armor Reforged.esp=1
Simple Inventory Improvements.esp=1
VendorCaps_2000.esp=1
free_downgrades_stubs.esp=1
UnlimitedFollowers.esp=0
New Craftable Items by Tamayo831.esp=1
WPFDU_Defense_NPR_x5.esp=1
WPFDU_Generators_x5.esp=1
WPFDU_Food_x5.esp=1
WPFDU_Water_x5.esp=1
ConvenientStores.esp=1
No NPC Comments.esp=1
Perks Unleashed.esp=1
Better Calibrated Shocks.esp=1
NudeRepRaidGunBoots3.esp=0
Craftable Fertilizer.esp=1
UniqueItems.esp=1
ScrapThatMisc.esp=1
armorscaling_2x.esp=1
armorscaling_1x.esp=1
Shaun.esp=1
Locked Doors - Destructable.esp=1
Locked Doors - Indestructable.esp=0
Locked Doors - Player House(optional).esp=1
VaultGirl_AsPiper.esp=1
noPowerArmorDurabilityLoss.esp=1
SustainedFlight.esp=1
Dual Weapons Melee.esp=1
Crafting Workbench - Dual Weapons.esp=1
GauntletDualAnims.esp=1
NX Pro - Farm Core.esp=1
NX Patch - Safe SSEx.esp=1
NX Pro - Harvest Overhaul.esp=1
DV-Armored Pilots.esp=1
DV-Durable Vertibirds.esp=1
Handy Hats and Armors.esp=1
minigun_308_50mg_recievers.esp=1
Summoner.esp=1
Armorsmith Extended ilordg helmet pack.esp=1
Homemaker - SSEx Compatibility Patch.esp=1
LoweredSprintAPDrain.esp=1
Curie.esp=0
Neo.esp=1
Codsworth.esp=0
Danse.esp=0
Shauneye.esp=0
Alien.esp=0
More armor slots.esp=1
LegendaryRarity100.esp=0
EncounterZoneNoLimit.esp=1
legendary_spawning_eligibility_uncapped.esp=1
QuickEnterFromStand.esp=1
QuickExitToStand.esp=1
DarkerNights.esp=1
DarkerNightsDetection.esp=1
BetterNightVision.esp=1
LootablePAFrames.esp=1
SummonerOnlyBots.esp=1
About 100 plugins used. game seems stable.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Twincityhacker posted:

Homemaker, OCDecorator, Expanded Settlement Buildings, and if you do much farming stuff NX Pro Farming and Snap'n Build Greenhouse. The only reason I suggest Expanded Settlement Buildings is because it adds a few parts Homemaker misses and organizes the Wood > Walls categories into subcategories instead of a million walls in one list.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So I got that error again when trying to install that infinite companion ammo mod. the .ini file looks like this:

sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\
SGeometryPackageList=Fallout4 - Geometry.csg
SCellResourceIndexFileList=Fallout4.cdx
SResourceArchiveMemoryCacheList= Fallout4 - Misc.ba2, Fallout4 - Shaders.ba2, Fallout4 - Interface.ba2, Fallout4 - Materials.ba2

do I need to delete all that?

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

HogX posted:

So I got that error again when trying to install that infinite companion ammo mod. the .ini file looks like this:

sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\
SGeometryPackageList=Fallout4 - Geometry.csg
SCellResourceIndexFileList=Fallout4.cdx
SResourceArchiveMemoryCacheList= Fallout4 - Misc.ba2, Fallout4 - Shaders.ba2, Fallout4 - Interface.ba2, Fallout4 - Materials.ba2

do I need to delete all that?

you need to add

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

under the archive header and change

to

sResourceDataDirsFinal=

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ok what the gently caress. Just, what, the gently caress. Why doesn't the railway rifle make a choo choo noise after every shot anymore.

Save me modders!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Ok what the gently caress. Just, what, the gently caress. Why doesn't the railway rifle make a choo choo noise after every shot anymore.

Save me modders!!

It choo-choo-s when you reload, not when you fire, this time around.

edit: So there is still choo-choo-ing, just not what some would call an adequate amount.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Segmentation Fault posted:

What I want are bows and crossbows. Let me craft arrows and bolts with different abilities. Maybe add a sporting goods store somewhere in Boston with some crazy special crossbow.

I'm surprised Beth hasn't put bows/crossbows in any of these games. They've already got the system from the TES games and it makes good sense in terms of realism and style. Mad Max, which Fallout copy&pastes the hell out off, had shittons of crossbows everywhere.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Gobblecoque posted:

I'm surprised Beth hasn't put bows/crossbows in any of these games. They've already got the system from the TES games and it makes good sense in terms of realism and style. Mad Max, which Fallout copy&pastes the hell out off, had shittons of crossbows everywhere.
with the gauss rifle charge mechanic (which is really just a bow with different animation and projectile) i wouldn't be surprised if someone puts in a bow of some sort

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

with the gauss rifle charge mechanic (which is really just a bow with different animation and projectile) i wouldn't be surprised if someone puts in a bow of some sort
i hope they keep the charging mechanic and mashing reload makes your character start attempting to shoot more arrows all at once, up to a ridiculous amount

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fereydun posted:

i hope they keep the charging mechanic and mashing reload makes your character start attempting to shoot more arrows all at once, up to a ridiculous amount
it would be really, really funny if someone managed to combine the wind up of the laser musket and the charge of the gauss rifle to achieve exactly this, but i wouldn't put it past bethesda to somehow lock it behind idiotic hard-coded definitions even though that shouldn't really be a thing in their loving engine by now

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

It choo-choo-s when you reload, not when you fire, this time around.

edit: So there is still choo-choo-ing, just not what some would call an adequate amount.

An inferior density of choo choos.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

I can't wait for the GECK to come out and the ultra-nerds to completely overhaul all the stats and add the classic skills system again. The new perk system is kinda fun but from what I can tell there's no reason to ever roll anything but 6-2-4-6-6-2-2 (You're Special point into Perception) unless you want some very specialized builds.

There's always going to be a min maxed build in any system, but I actually feel like 4 has an overall better balance than the previous games. I will agree that I'm disappointed that there aren't more stat and perk checks built in to the dialogue or other interactions. But I don't think that a huge rework of the system itself is necessary.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The only mod you'll ever need.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

There's always going to be a min maxed build in any system, but I actually feel like 4 has an overall better balance than the previous games. I will agree that I'm disappointed that there aren't more stat and perk checks built in to the dialogue or other interactions. But I don't think that a huge rework of the system itself is necessary.

I think a major problem is that a lot of the perks are just really useless. Like, beyond awful. Who the hell is using Basher? A lot of perks need to be overhauled or flat-out replaced because some are just so much better than others and some are just wasted levels. Gunsmithing levels are all wonky, too. Regardless, I think they really just need to add some more guns, dammit.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Outstanding.

Which settlement building mod adds the Christmas stuff floating around in the world? I'm leaning towards Homemaker, but I need my holiday shenanigans :tfrxmas:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

A completely reworking of perks back into skills (lol what) won't fix the lack of build checks for tasks anyway.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I hope someone comes up with a mod to make the combat rifle and combat shotgun look different. I feel like I start messing with one instead of the other in the weapon workshop every other time I'm in there.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

On that note.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I hope someone comes up with a mod to make the combat rifle and combat shotgun look different. I feel like I start messing with one instead of the other in the weapon workshop every other time I'm in there.

I think thats another F4CK to do thing, as bethesda decided they share the same model, because they are sickbranes.
meanwhile, if anyone wants anything reskinned, I'd be glad to.
Just did the smaller power armor station in Institute white and mint.

VVVVV
Biodeisel.
All that corn, brah.

staberind fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 22, 2015

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Skandranon posted:

It seems plausible to me your settlers are able to fill the generators.

Wouldn't the most implausible thing be trying to use 200 year old gasoline? Wouldn't it be unusable sludge by then?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll ask you guys because I'm not sifting through the main discussion thread and bugfixes are the modding scene's purview anyhow. Is there a console command to move Kent Connolly back to Goodneighbor? He's stuck in the basement of the Hospital. I can still go to him for Silver Shroud upgrades, but he will not return to the Memory Den.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Not sure about the console command but if you just want him to put more defense on the silver shroud outfit you can use armorsmith extended to put ballistic weave on it. Although that will only work to a point if you don't have the armorer perk.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
I decided that as bethesda cannot be bothered to make a wild wasteland, Its up to us to mod one in.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Settlement nerds- I decided to put a room above the north entrance/collapsed wall at The Castle...but I can't think of what to put there. I'm probably going to just make it a bar, but any better ideas? It feels like a glass walled bar on top of Minuteman HQ would really be asking for trouble.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

General Morden posted:

how many dicks can we put on this mister handy

A great thread title possibility. Reminds of me of the bethesda mod threads of yore.

I have spent a little bit of time looking at the Skyrim Creation Kit thing and how they make new rooms and stuff. It makes me very excited for the Fallout4 creation kit indeed. I've played a good number of hours and have been noting down places where I can remove boards and add new interiors.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

VideoGames posted:

A great thread title possibility. Reminds of me of the bethesda mod threads of yore.

I have spent a little bit of time looking at the Skyrim Creation Kit thing and how they make new rooms and stuff. It makes me very excited for the Fallout4 creation kit indeed. I've played a good number of hours and have been noting down places where I can remove boards and add new interiors.

Practically every group of buildings has them, they far outnumber the buildings you can enter, I'm looking forward to the kit to really open up the dialogue choices and allow for conquering parts of the map like a raider. or, indeed any faction, the Atom Cats may become so ticked off with the gunners attention that they decide to wipe them off the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

staberind posted:

Practically every group of buildings has them, they far outnumber the buildings you can enter, I'm looking forward to the kit to really open up the dialogue choices and allow for conquering parts of the map like a raider. or, indeed any faction, the Atom Cats may become so ticked off with the gunners attention that they decide to wipe them off the map.

Agreed, there are so many non enterable places. As it will be my first game mod I don't want to go overboard and make everything opened up. Just ones that look blatant or perhaps a little hidden. I might also try to add sewer systems to each of the main cities. If I get REALLY decent at doing it, and that's a bit if, then I will try to link the sewers too.

• Locked thread