Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Probably should have helped Assad quell the protests early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

baw posted:

Yeah if it wasn't for Hillary then the GOP wouldn't have been racist towards Obama

Well yeah, she created the idea that he's black.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
lol if you think the Birther bullshit started with Hillary.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I too remember how the GOP was a big fan of Obama and never once tried to sabotage literally everything he's tried to accomplish until about a year ago when suddenly they developed serious reservations about his foreign policy based solely on his perceived failures to respond to the ongoing Syrian Civil War (because heaven knows they'd not hulked the gently caress out over anything else he did or didn't do prior to that point).
To be fair Rush was pulling for him in the 2008 primary, initially, though his motives were not entirely altruistic :laugh:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the nobody cares, “I always want to help my country where I can, but you don’t want to embark on a suicide mission. I’m not ready for a third-party run until we have a complete collapse of the Republican Party that I can still believe in.” ~ Jon Huntsman.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
The GOP should make him sign a pledge just to be safe

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Anosmoman posted:

How should he have handled Syria differently?

Should have been handled the same way Clinton handled Iraq.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Anosmoman posted:

been less black

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Anosmoman posted:

This is the same party that heavily criticized Obama for not intervening in Libya and overnight changed their position when it turned out Obama was going to intervene.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mitt Romney posted:

This is the same party that heavily criticized Obama for not intervening in Libya and overnight changed their position when it turned out Obama was going to intervene.

They did the same for Syria. A big part of why he didn't go any further when they "crossed the red line" was because the Republicans threatened to cut him off in congress.

This is also the same party that has had ample opportunity to weigh in on the middle east situation by having a debate over an authorization of force, but have continually ran the hell away from it for political expediency.

Is it true that the administration could have handled Syria and Iraq differently? Sure. But when the Republicans are couching their critique in the tired line that Obama pulled out of Iraq "too soon," it basically tells you they're not being honest and don't really want to have debate on the issue. There own Syria proposals aren't even that different from what we're already doing.

Ted Cruz's plan to defeat ISIS: "We will."

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I too remember how the GOP was a big fan of Obama and never once tried to sabotage literally everything he's tried to accomplish until about a year ago when suddenly they developed serious reservations about his foreign policy based solely on his perceived failures to respond to the ongoing Syrian Civil War (because heaven knows they'd not hulked the gently caress out over anything else he did or didn't do prior to that point).

Well, it's true that the party phillosophically opposed to much of that Obama wanted to accomplish tried to fight him on those things - surprised as the left seemed to be about that fact.

Note that racism was not brought up in the preceding sentence.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mitt Romney posted:

If the last fourteen years have taught me anything it's that people's principles are highly malleable.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

I'd love to, but when they start talking about "the Mexicans", "those people from Chicago", and "the Muslims" I get real itchy.

What...the Mob? Like, Al Capone? I'm not sure what they're after there.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Radish posted:

If the last fourteen years have taught me anything it's that people's principles are highly malleable.

Oh no they are very consistent they just lie or aren't aware of what their actual principles are.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 22, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

greatn posted:

Yeah he refuses to take ISIS seriously that's why they've lost 40% of their land in the last couple months and they're leaders have been killed multiple times.

How much land has ISIL lost in Nigeria recently?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Nevvy Z posted:

Oh no they are very consistent they just lie or aren't aware of what their actual principles are.

http://imgur.com/l2V8hGY

Not sure why link seems to be failing.

You have to put the direct link into the img tags.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

How much land has ISIL lost in Nigeria recently?

How much land has Daesh had in Nigeria?

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

jackofarcades posted:

lol if you think the Birther bullshit started with Hillary.

http://www.factcheck.org/2008/11/its-official-obama-born-in-the-usa/

quote:

This claim was first advanced by diehard Hillary Clinton supporters as her campaign for the party’s nomination faded

I'm sure it was just some disaffected hillaryis44 types and had nothing at all to do with the campaign itself!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Anosmoman posted:

Restore the French mandate.

The Larch posted:

How much land has Daesh had in Nigeria?

Boko Haram is an ISIL affiliate, so lots.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

TheDisreputableDog posted:

I'm sure it was just some disaffected hillaryis44 types and had nothing at all to do with the campaign itself!

...right

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Nevvy Z posted:

http://imgur.com/l2V8hGY

Not sure why link seems to be failing.

Bergdhal was pretty much where an semblance of respect I had for Republicans totally evaporated.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Luigi Thirty posted:

http://www.wowktv.com/story/30802377/food-program-adds-requirements-in-9-west-virginia-counties

9 counties in West Virginia are adding requirements to SNAP that you must work or be in school 20 hours per week or you lose your benefits. Sorry, unemployed in West loving Virginia, you get to starve.

You can thank DWS for not prioritizing state legislators at all.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Joementum posted:

Quote of the nobody cares, “I always want to help my country where I can, but you don’t want to embark on a suicide mission. I’m not ready for a third-party run until we have a complete collapse of the Republican Party that I can still believe in.” ~ Jon Huntsman.

*Arkane sighs and walks away*

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

Yeah it's almost like there was a missing piece of information that guy didn't have.

Probably though his principles changed, sure.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Crowsbeak posted:

What has she been prioritizing?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

http://www.factcheck.org/2008/11/its-official-obama-born-in-the-usa/

So you trust the fact checkers to say that it came from Clinton supporters but you don't trust them to say that it didn't come from the campaign itself?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Radish posted:

Losing elections.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

What True Conservative™ will stop the Head Start menace?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Radish posted:

Failure.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Radish posted:

DWS.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Crowsbeak posted:

I don't think, as much as I'd like, you can blame a Republican legislature for that. Dumb as those idiots are, this isn't coming from them.

Here's a better article on it: http://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/20151221/work-training-relinked-to-wv-food-stamps

Work requirements for SNAP aren't new. They also picked the 9 counties where it won't be nearly as bad.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They did the same for Syria. A big part of why he didn't go any further when they "crossed the red line" was because the Republicans threatened to cut him off in congress.

First - no one forced Obama to make the red line pledge to begin with. "No dumb wars" himself decided to start saber rattling all on his own!

Second - lol at the idea that Obama is like "well, I need congressional approval to do <anything>, looks like I'm sunk." He only hides behind congress when it comes to things that aren't politically expedient, like owning military action or closing gitmo.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Probably someone already posted it, but this story reminds me of that bizaare story about him in the Times about him being deposed

quote:

Donald J. Trump seemed irritated. He had been grilled for two hours in a lawsuit over a failed Florida real estate project, and he told the lawyer that her questions were “very stupid.”

When the lawyer, Elizabeth Beck, asked for a medical break, Mr. Trump and his lawyers objected, demanding that the deposition continue. Ms. Beck said it was urgent — she needed to pump breast milk for her 3-month-old daughter, and she took the pump out to make her point.

Mr. Trump erupted.

“You’re disgusting,” he told Ms. Beck, in a remark that is not disputed by either side. He then walked out of the room, ending the testimony for the day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/29/us/politics/depositions-show-donald-trump-as-quick-to-exaggerate-and-insult.html?_r=0

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Yeah it's almost like there was a missing piece of information that guy didn't have.

Probably though his principles changed, sure.

Did the missing piece of information involve a former squadmates that hated Berghdal, claimed that if he'd found him he would have murdered Berghdal, and personally blamed Berghdal for the deaths of every soldier who died afterwards?

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Did the missing piece of information involve a former squadmates that hated Berghdal, claimed that if he'd found him he would have murdered Berghdal, and personally blamed Berghdal for the deaths of every soldier who died afterwards?

Maybe - I can only assume the administration didn't have this information either when they did an end zone dance after the exchange.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Second - lol at the idea that Obama is like "well, I need congressional approval to do <anything>, looks like I'm sunk." He only hides behind congress when it comes to things that aren't politically expedient, like owning military action or closing gitmo.
Nah, he wanted an AUMF so Republicans couldn't gently caress him over on Syria later on. Little did he know they were going to do that anyway.

If going to war in Syria was the right thing to do why didn't your glorious Republicans in Congress give him an AUMF?

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Luigi Thirty posted:

http://www.wowktv.com/story/30802377/food-program-adds-requirements-in-9-west-virginia-counties

9 counties in West Virginia are adding requirements to SNAP that you must work or be in school 20 hours per week or you lose your benefits. Sorry, unemployed in West loving Virginia, you get to starve.

West Virginia is gonna burn into the ground. Doesn't some counties only have a median income of 10k? I remember reading some article about the insane scheme they have where they flip EBT for cash buying soda

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kilroy posted:

Nah, he wanted an AUMF so Republicans couldn't gently caress him over on Syria later on. Little did he know they were going to do that anyway.

If going to war in Syria was the right thing to do why didn't your glorious Republicans in Congress give him an AUMF?

Obama was too afraid of Republicans to do the right thing in foreign policy.

Perhaps he should have resigned, if he was unable to do his job effectively and in the best interest of America out of fear.

Instead, he damaged America and our standing with the world by making everyone question our willingness to follow through on their red lines.

A true leader knows when to step aside rather than hurt their nation. Unfortunately for America, Obama is not a true leader with executive experience.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

CortezFantastic posted:

West Virginia is gonna burn into the ground. Doesn't some counties only have a median income of 10k? I remember reading some article about the insane scheme they have where they flip EBT for cash buying soda

None of the counties they're talking about are anywhere close to that. And /again/ work requirements for SNAP are literally nothing new and really only got "shelved" around 2011--ish at the height of the recession.

They picked the 9 counties that have really low unemployment, low number of people on SNAP, and higher median income.

Also: flipping EBT for cash is a pretty old scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Maybe - I can only assume the administration didn't have this information either when they did an end zone dance after the exchange.

They certainly did, his squad was under a gag order to keep them from Jane Fondaing him by releasing information that would be used to exploit a POW.

• Locked thread