Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CortezFantastic posted:

West Virginia is gonna burn into the ground. Doesn't some counties only have a median income of 10k? I remember reading some article about the insane scheme they have where they flip EBT for cash buying soda

never underestimate poor white people's ability to shoulder hardship because at least that money isn't going to the undeserving poor, even if the government can't help us because it's incompetent and sending all the money to the undeserving poor (not us)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Larch posted:

How much land has Daesh had in Nigeria?

Since I can't read the original post, I can only assume that its meant to be referring to Boko Haram (who are just basically huge fans of ISIS).

quote:

Violent attacks perpetrated by Boko Haram in northeastern Africa has forced out over 1 million children out of school, the United Nations Children’s Fund, Unicef, said in a report issued Monday. The militant group, which aims to establish an ISIS-style government in Nigeria, has killed thousands of people since launching a brutal insurgency in the country six years ago.

Boko Haram's actions have forced the closure of over 2,000 schools across Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad and Niger, according to the report, which noted that some of the schools have been shut for more than a year due to the conflict. The schools have been attacked, looted and at times set on fire by Boko Haram militants who pledge allegiance to ISIS.

http://www.ibtimes.com/boko-haram-violence-nigeria-forces-more-1-million-children-school-un-2235948

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

1% in a national Presidential election is worth $40 million, Jackson Taus. When will DNC realize its more efficient to pay individuals more, than it is to waste $39 million on chasing after the 1%?

You think raising DWS's salary (or whoever's salary) is going to stop this kind of perverse incentive behavior? People do this poo poo because political advancement requires some measure of self-interest - you generally don't get into Party leadership without major self-promotion.

Plus the people nominally in charge of hiring/firing DWS are in the same boat - they got their seat on the DNC through some combination of favor-trading in their state party and winning/stacking a state convention. They're not ones to abhor efforts to favor-trade.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
And a bunch of states have already re-initiated the work requirements for SNAP.

They're dumb and idiotic, but this isn't WV being dumb by ourselves thing.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

My Imaginary GF posted:

Obama was too afraid of Republicans to do the right thing in foreign policy.

Perhaps he should have resigned, if he was unable to do his job effectively and in the best interest of America out of fear.

Instead, he damaged America and our standing with the world by making everyone question our willingness to follow through on their red lines.

A true leader knows when to step aside rather than hurt their nation. Unfortunately for America, Obama is not a true leader with executive experience.
one more of these plz I'm almost finished

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kilroy posted:

one more of these plz I'm almost finished

10 years of President Biden

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Jackson Taus posted:

You think raising DWS's salary (or whoever's salary) is going to stop this kind of perverse incentive behavior? People do this poo poo because political advancement requires some measure of self-interest - you generally don't get into Party leadership without major self-promotion.

Plus the people nominally in charge of hiring/firing DWS are in the same boat - they got their seat on the DNC through some combination of favor-trading in their state party and winning/stacking a state convention. They're not ones to abhor efforts to favor-trade.

MIGF is just doing his usual bullshit.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Kilroy posted:

Nah, he wanted an AUMF so Republicans couldn't gently caress him over on Syria later on. Little did he know they were going to do that anyway.

Like I said, he only hides behind the congressional fig leaf when there might be some political price to pay, otherwise he's #yolobama

quote:

If going to war in Syria was the right thing to do why didn't your glorious Republicans in Congress give him an AUMF?

if he wasn't convinced that military action wasn't the best and only solution, why would he run his mouth in a way that makes him look foolish and his word worthless on the international stage? This wasn't a 1 on 1 pickup game with Assad. At the very least, Putin wouldn't have been as brazen in the Ukraine if it wasn't for how Obama flubbed Syria. Congress did not force him to draw those lines and make those statements.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

They certainly did, his squad was under a gag order to keep them from Jane Fondaing him by releasing information that would be used to exploit a POW.

Okay so there's no way joe_twitter could have known until after the deal.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Like I said, he only hides behind the congressional fig leaf when there might be some political price to pay, otherwise he's #yolobama

if he wasn't convinced that military action wasn't the best and only solution, why would he run his mouth in a way that makes him look foolish and his word worthless on the international stage? This wasn't a 1 on 1 pickup game with Assad. At the very least, Putin wouldn't have been as brazen in the Ukraine if it wasn't for how Obama flubbed Syria. Congress did not force him to draw those lines and make those statements.

I am so glad we have you around so I don't have to listen to Rush to know the latest fact-free talking point from the GOP.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

How much land has ISIL lost in Nigeria recently?

Uh if you are counting Boko Haram as purely being ISIS rather than a distinctive affiliate the answer is still lots and lots.

The multi-state offensive this year has driven them out of the vast majority of territory they controlled at the end of last year.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Obama didn't even try going before Congress, he just saw Republicans and was like 'Nope not even gonna try.'

That's not leadership, that's being unable to do your job. If you're President and cannot do your job, you really shouldn't be President.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Kilroy posted:

Nah, he wanted an AUMF so Republicans couldn't gently caress him over on Syria later on. Little did he know they were going to do that anyway.

If going to war in Syria was the right thing to do why didn't your glorious Republicans in Congress give him an AUMF?

I would give the GOP credit for at least being smart enough to learn from Kerry and Hillary how supporting an open ended conflict can go sideways on you, but I'm pretty sure they are only opposing the AUMF because Obama asked for it.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

I would give the GOP credit for at least being smart enough to learn from Kerry and Hillary how supporting an open ended conflict can go sideways on you, but I'm pretty sure they are only opposing the AUMF because Obama asked for it.

It's both and almost inseparable. They don't want to have a record of voting on a war for obvious reasons, but they also don't want to have the cudgel of OBUMMER taken away from them.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am so glad we have you around so I don't have to listen to Rush to know the latest fact-free talking point from the GOP.

Lovely dodge - the facts are that Obama routinely ignores Congress on issues he considers popular wins. Case in point - he made changes to immigration he himself previously admitted he didn't have the authority to make, and now he's up for a judicial spanking at some point. He's preparing a similar end around on gun control right now. So the idea that he'd be like "PUBS SAID NO, MY HANDS ARE TIED" when it comes to Syria is laughable.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lovely dodge - the facts are that Obama routinely ignores Congress on issues he considers popular wins. Case in point - he made changes to immigration he himself previously admitted he didn't have the authority to make, and now he's up for a judicial spanking at some point. He's preparing a similar end around on gun control right now. So the idea that he'd be like "PUBS SAID NO, MY HANDS ARE TIED" when it comes to Syria is laughable.

And when Obama does this, he is failing to uphold the Constitution. History will judge Obama as a peacetime President too much in over his head during wartime.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

He was convinced of it - that's why he tried to get the AUMF. And he probably had reason to believe he'd get it until, surprise surprise, Republicans in Congress turned out to be even more stupidly partisan and self-destructive than all but the most cynical thought possible. And even after he got it, he has pressed ISIS militarily to the maximum extant he is legally allowed - perhaps further.

Do you think that "military action", in the sense of a significant ground presence, is warranted now? Has it ever been?

And I don't know WTF you're talking about with Ukraine. What does one have to do with the other?

What do you mean by this? Congress is not meant to function as a rubber stamp for the President. There are certain things they are required to do in order for governing to happen. If they don't do those things, good governance is not achievable.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

:psyduck: That isn't how this works. That isn't how any of this works.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kilroy posted:

He was convinced of it - that's why he tried to get the AUMF. And he probably had reason to believe he'd get it until, surprise surprise, Republicans in Congress turned out to be even more stupidly partisan and self-destructive than all but the most cynical thought possible. And even after he got it, he has pressed ISIS militarily to the maximum extant he is legally allowed - perhaps further.

Do you think that "military action", in the sense of a significant ground presence, is warranted now? Has it ever been?

And I don't know WTF you're talking about with Ukraine. What does one have to do with the other?

What do you mean by this? Congress is not meant to function as a rubber stamp for the President. There are certain things they are required to do in order for governing to happen. If they don't do those things, good governance is not achievable.

He isn't using all the bombs he could against ISIL, and for a long while was far more concerned with limiting collateral damage than he was with eliminating ISIL. You eliminate ISIL, and there won't be further collateral damage.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

You never argue anything in good faith, so here we go: he tried to pass immigration reform through congress, who failed to act repeatedly, and then just said "nope we're not doing anything." So he did what what literally the last four presidents have done (and in smaller measure than two Republicans did if we're counting.)

He's not up for a "spanking" by the court. They shopped that case around to a district where the dude is a wanton rear end in a top hat activist con judge. It will almost certainly get overturned (and not overturning it, basically causes havoc with executive action. which by the way, he's used sparingly compared to his immediate predecessors.)

Your entire argument is predicated on Obama being "#lawless" which is dishonest and outright untrue, but you won't admit it because then you don't have anything to attack Obama on.

On Syria, the Republicans were for war before they were against it and now they're for it again too. It's hilarious. They have also dodged an force authorization while talking out of their asses about it. There own plans aren't even all that different from what we're doing now and you'd know that if you actually cared about the issue, which you clearly don't.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

My Imaginary GF posted:

He isn't using all the bombs he could against ISIL, and for a long while was far more concerned with limiting collateral damage than he was with eliminating ISIL. You eliminate ISIL, and there won't be further collateral damage.

Perhaps a sort of precision carpet bombing?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gravel Gravy posted:

Perhaps a sort of precision carpet bombing?

If he were carpet bombing Raqqa, we wouldn't be having this debate.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

So because Obama did something he shouldn't have wrt immigration, and later admitted it, that means he should also ignore the Constitution in dealing with ISIS? It seems like you're arguing that not only is he a bad President, he's also not a bad enough President. And what is he preparing for gun control?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

My Imaginary GF posted:

Who's saying he was?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Kilroy posted:

So because Obama did something he shouldn't have wrt immigration, and later admitted it, that means he should also ignore the Constitution in dealing with ISIS? It seems like you're arguing that not only is he a bad President, he's also not a bad enough President. And what is he preparing for gun control?

Nah, he's trying to connect statements Obama made before becoming president and in the lead up to the Immigration Failure By Congress about exec action in place of legislation to say that Obama contradicted himself (he didn't really) to justify a dumb talking point divorced from reality to support an even dumber narrative divorced from reality about Obama The Tyrant.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Carpet bombing worked so well in Veitnam :allears:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Kilroy posted:

Is he a bad ENOUGH dude to be the president?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Carpet bombing worked so well in Veitnam :allears:

ISIL isn't funded and armed by communist China, nor does it operate under a jungle canopy.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Obama's hand's off approach to Syria is probably the smartest example of US foreign policy in 15 years.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shageletic posted:

Obama's hand's off approach to Syria is probably the smartest example of US foreign policy in 15 years.

I love the GOP and their supporters urge to jump head first into any brawl in the world, guns blazing.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

I love the GOP and their supporters urge to jump head first into any brawl in the world, guns blazing.

We are stronger than ISIL, Commie.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

CommieGIR posted:

If it were up to the GOP, we'd be storming in there with cavalry. Military is movies for them and if you don't get immediate results in 1 month or less you're doing it wrong.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

ISIL isn't funded and armed by communist China, nor does it operate under a jungle canopy.

Well, we don't actually know if communist China is funding them, but we know their main source of funding is from the Saudis. Not that you're going to admit that. You can go ahead and copy/paste your screed about taxes and oil money and yadda yadda the same dumb bullshit you've been posting for like six months now though.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

My Imaginary GF posted:

The very sort of thing small nuclear warheads were meant to do, right?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Well, we don't actually know if communist China is funding them, but we know their main source of funding is from the Saudis. Not that you're going to admit that. You can go ahead and copy/paste your screed about taxes and oil money and yadda yadda the same dumb bullshit you've been posting for like six months now though.

I think you'll find a significant portion of Americans support carpet-bombing locations within KSA, BI NOW.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

I think you'll find a significant portion of Americans support carpet-bombing locations within KSA, BI NOW.

They also want to bomb a fictional city from a Disney movie. I don't think I really give a poo poo.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

My Imaginary GF posted:

And a third of GOP voters want to bomb a fictional country from a Disney cartoon. It doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Edit: drat you, BI NOW! *shakes fist*

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

What's the current GOP war tally? We should be at war with ISIS and Iran, involved in Syria and Ukraine... I'm missing at least one, I think.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kro-Bar posted:

And a third of GOP voters want to bomb a fictional country from a Disney cartoon. It doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Edit: drat you, BI NOW! *shakes fist*

I fail to see what would be wrong with ordering carpet bombings on Agrabah.

You could really Canadian Bacon poo poo up

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
If everyone was dead, there would be no war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Pretty much. The attempt to build a moderate opposition largely failed but it was worth a shot. Bombing Assad could have forced an eventual ground war if the rebels taking power happened to be fundie jihadis. Propping up Assad would have aligned the US with a bona fide genocidal lunatic and giving every tin pot dictator carte blanche to go into murder overdrive to suppress dissent.

• Locked thread