Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

If everyone donated $5 to Hasbro today, our donation drive would be over. Please donate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

please. think of the wizards

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ThePeavstenator posted:

maybe don't act like a giant pissbaby when the people you exploit don't do the exact thing you want.

Especially since that exact thing - stopping a social media explosion and containing information - is really loving hard. If there had been an attempt to censor the tweet then we'd probably just have ran into the Streisand Effect and people would find out anyway.

I'm guessing containment's what they wanted, since suspending someone for tweeting about it once it's already out there is either "idiot, you were supposed to conceal it not spread it more!" or a base temper tantrum that can't not look bad and I'd like to hope the company has a rudimentary comprehension of PR.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So what is the likelyhood/upshot of someone like SCG running an unsanctioned event if they can't find a judge for a region?

Is that just a non-starter?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

the company has a rudimentary comprehension of PR.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Hasbro is an American multinational toy and board game company. It is one of the largest toy makers in the world.

They're trying to stop people from loving with their marketing plans. Fine, then stop pretending like you care about the community.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

odiv posted:

So what is the likelyhood/upshot of someone like SCG running an unsanctioned event if they can't find a judge for a region?

Gotta get those sweet, sweet planeswalker points to redeem for those...uh...

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
seems like a good time to remind everyone that you should play unreserved instead of wotc nonsense: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3756523

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

odiv posted:

scg actually pays judges for some of their events

like, american dollars :shittypop:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Magic is a game that is profitable in spite of itself.
There's the reserve list, abolition of nearly every player reward program worth a drat, volunteer judges, increasingly watered-down supplemental product releases, and now this.
Fine, do something about the people who broke an NDA or whatever, but this "disproportionate response" (thanks Sheldon) is just pants on head stupid.

UberJew posted:

scg actually pays judges for some of their events

like, american dollars :shittypop:
It still boils down to less than minimum wage, especially considering travel IIRC>

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Here's your daily reminder not to play magic.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The fact that WOTC greenlit an article by a man named Trick telling you why you should feel ashamed of yourself for leaks existing probably says everything that needs to be said.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Lunsku posted:

The L3 maintaining magicjudges.org (a third party judge site I understand) has suspended it in protest:
http://apps.magicjudges.org/

Wow, I didn't even know that site was unofficial. It was a replacement for the incredibly dated judge.wizards.com, and was the site where every judge in the world went to post tournament reports*, apply for events (I seriously can't imagine the mayhem that this is causing for TOs who are trying to organize PPTQs, 1Ks, 5Ks, and even GPs), organize judge conferences, and discuss judging.

* Which by the way, every L2 needed to submit a tournament report on magicjudges.org to maintain their L2 status. Where are the RCs going to go to view that information now?

quote:

At this time I do not know when, or if, the magicjudges.org network of sites will return to normal operation. If you have complaints, I would suggest you direct them to a representative of Wizards of the Coast. In the meantime, given their noted prowess with technology, I have no doubt an alternative location for event staffing, communication and community discussion will be up and running quickly.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BJPaskoff posted:

Wow, I didn't even know that site was unofficial. It was a replacement for the incredibly dated judge.wizards.com, and was the site where every judge in the world went to post tournament reports*, apply for events (I seriously can't imagine the mayhem that this is causing for TOs who are trying to organize PPTQs, 1Ks, 5Ks, and even GPs), organize judge conferences, and discuss judging.

* Which by the way, every L2 needed to submit a tournament report on magicjudges.org to maintain their L2 status. Where are the RCs going to go to view that information now?

Beaten.

This dumpster fire is getting huge.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
With all of these bannings over spoilers, is it uncouth to ask when is the next official spoiler for OGW?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

InterrupterJones posted:

With all of these bannings over spoilers, is it uncouth to ask when is the next spoiler for OGW?

B&

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

With all of these bannings over spoilers, is it uncouth to ask when is the next official spoiler for OGW?

there will be something on Christmas, official spoilers on monday, i think

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

InterrupterJones posted:

Let me just leak something really quick.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

mandatory lesbian posted:

there will be something on Christmas, official spoilers on monday, i think

Santa Cosi's coming to town?!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

The fact that WOTC greenlit an article by a man named Trick telling you why you should feel ashamed of yourself for leaks existing probably says everything that needs to be said.

For real, every public facing wotc employee I've seen is just trash.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

BJPaskoff posted:

The judge facebook groups and subreddit have gotten interesting real quick.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Lunsku posted:

The L3 maintaining magicjudges.org (a third party judge site I understand) has suspended it in protest:

lmao

for those of you not in the know, this is how everything related to judging actually happens. Pro-Tour Judges apply for selection using this website.

lmao. WOTC let something this critical stay as a third party thing

lmao if it stays down for any length of time, its going to get crazy

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
just when you think you see the bottom of wizards digital incompetence, you find out they let a third-party handle their tournament organizing

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Just sue for breach of contract then, right?

:lol:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

odiv posted:

Just sue for breach of contract then, right?

:lol:

quote:

In light of which, I — the maintainer, largely out of my own pocket — of the magicjudges.org network of Web sites and resources

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

mandatory lesbian posted:

just when you think you see the bottom of wizards digital incompetence, you find out they let a third-party handle their tournament organizing

a volunteer third-party that does it for "love of the game"

Seriously gently caress that, I don't care how much you love your work. If someone else is profiting off of it you start charging for that poo poo.

Also:

always be closing posted:

For real, every public facing wotc employee I've seen is just trash.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Ciprian Maricon posted:

lmao

for those of you not in the know, this is how everything related to judging actually happens. Pro-Tour Judges apply for selection using this website.

lmao. WOTC let something this critical stay as a third party thing

lmao if it stays down for any length of time, its going to get crazy

Yeah, this is a really big deal and I'm kind of surprised that a couple judges I'm talking to think it's not.

If this gets much further than January things are going to get mighty hosed

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Now is a great time to get into force of will which p much plays the same but is improved. Before all your cardboard is worthless. :getin:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Chill la Chill posted:

Now is a great time to get into force of will which p much plays the same but is improved. Before all your cardboard is worthless. :getin:

isn't it anime tho?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

I don't even need to look at the username any more.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Leaks are bad guys. It's like stealing. Don't leak cards. Don't talk about leak cards. Don't repost leaked cards. Volunteer at large advertising events for no pay or next to nothing. If everyone reading this bought only one intro deck, our drive would be over.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

ThePeavstenator posted:

isn't it anime tho?

And the card layouts are hideous.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

ThePeavstenator posted:

isn't it anime tho?

It isn't a eurogame and thus unworthy of our attention.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Lunsku posted:

Yeah, as has been said this is a huge deal. This is where judges apply to be staffed to events, up to and including GPs. This is, in fact, the only place where we can do that, aside from a personal conversation with the TO. Not to mention reviews, reports, etc. Also, L2 maintenance forms are due and a lot of judges have been dragging their feet on them, and this site collates them. I am lucky I got mine in on time.
Without Judge Apps, there's no way to staff any event. If this isn't back up in a matter of days events are going to start getting cancelled.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Snacksmaniac posted:

Leaks are bad guys. It's like stealing. Don't leak cards. Don't talk about leak cards. Don't repost leaked cards. Volunteer at large advertising events for no pay or next to nothing. If everyone reading this bought only one intro deck, our drive would be over.

I hope you're tweeting all of this to WotC

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Someone is just gonna report me and I'm going to be banned.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Yeah, as has been said this is a huge deal. This is where judges apply to be staffed to events, up to and including GPs. This is, in fact, the only place where we can do that, aside from a personal conversation with the TO. Not to mention reviews, reports, etc. Also, L2 maintenance forms are due and a lot of judges have been dragging their feet on them, and this site collates them. I am lucky I got mine in on time.
Without Judge Apps, there's no way to staff any event. If this isn't back up in a matter of days events are going to start getting cancelled.

:allears:

This is ... beautiful.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

jassi007 posted:

Right. here is the issue. Say you and I are in judge chat, and we see a link to a card image. We click on it, think wow neat. Tweet (new card??) 3 weeks later we're banned for 3 months. Are we the source of the leak? Nope. Did we get banned, when 1000 other schmucks who saw the leaked photos plastered them all over social media did not? Yup.

Nobody objects to WOTC taking action against the source of the leaks. People are objecting to this very wide banhammer that has hit many people who are not directly responsible for the leaks. They're trying to send a message, but the one that is being received is "we're unreasonable and can't be trusted."
Most of the people did not tweet the card, or otherwise share it anywhere. That's the real issue.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I once saw those spoilers on SomethingAwful.com and have since spoken about them before official reveal. This begets a DCI suspension as detailed by WOTC.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Here's a better idea: punish no one except for the leaker by never giving them product early again, adjust your spoiler release schedule, and start talking about the cards.

No one is talking about OGW now, they're talking about WotC being incredibly dumb and incompetent. :bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

FWIW Helene Bergeot has posted in an ongoing Facebook thread on this, saying "I'm hearing you" (which is probably all she's allowed to say anyways).

• Locked thread